Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A deck per week challenge

A deck per week challenge

Hello The Source!

Over the years of playing magic, I have acquired quite an impressive collection of legacy staples. As such, I aspire to have played every viable legacy deck possible. The rules of this challenge are simple: I will play a different legacy deck at every legacy event until there aren't any viable options left.

The list of decks I've come up with so far is as follows:

12Post, Ad Nauseum Lands, Aeon Bridge, Affinity, Aggro Loam, Aluren, Aluren (Recruiterless), Bant Aggro, Brave Sir Robin, BR Reanimator, BU Reanimator, BUG Death's Shadow, BUG Opposition, Burn, Canadian Threshold (RUG delver), Cephalid Breakfast, Colorless Eldrazi, Deadguy Ale, Death & Taxes, Doomsday, Dragon Stompy, Dredge, Eldrazi & Taxes, Elves, Enchantress, Esper Blade, Four Horsemen, Goblins, Goblin Charbelcher, Goblin Prison (Moggcatcher), Grixis Delver, Hexmage Depths, High Tide, Hive Mind Combo, Imperial Bomberman, Imperial Painter, Infect, Jund, Jund Depths, Landstill, Life.dec (infinite life combo), Manaless Dredge, Maverick, Merfolk, Miracles, MUD, Necrotic Ooze combo, Nic Fit, Pox, Quinn, RG Lands, RUG Punishing Ascension, RUG Waterfalls, Scapeshift, Sea Stompy, Shardless BUG, Shared Fate, Show and Tell (Mono-blue), Sneak and Show, Sneak through the Breach, Soldier Stompy, Spanish Inquisition, Stasis, StifleNaught, Stax, Storm, Tezzeret thopters, Tin Fins, TITI twister (Thing in the Ice), UR Delver, UWR Nahiri Control, Worldgorger Reanimator, Zombie Bombardment

To qualify as a "different" deck, it must have at least 15 cards in the mainboard which are different vs a deck on this list. I am allowing multiple variants on the same archetype (such as BR reanimator vs UB reanimator). The deck also has to have placed top32 within the past 4 years (I'm not saying all of these decks listed have done so, but this is to prevent someone from just submitting some random list of 75 cards and claiming it's a legacy deck).

Does anyone have any additions? Outside of buying 4 moats to build dutch stax I'm open to recommendations. Other than that, assume I can build it.

EDIT 1: Would people be interested if I post lists/records after each event? It will probably only be 3 rounds of legacy per deck played.
    EDIT 2: Added a couple of decks to the list.
    EDIT 3: 4/20/17, I somehow just remembered Hive Mind combo existed. Totally spaced on that deck apparently. I also alphabetized the list of decks.
    Last edited by Jakobian1010; 04-20-2017 at 10:31 PM.

Re: A deck per week challenge

Awesome, good luck! Meat hooks?

Dec 2013
    Lowell MA

I don't think that this deck has ever put up a top 8, but that's not the reason to play this deck.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...udge+destroyer

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dingo View Post
    I don't think that this deck has ever put up a top 8, but that's not the reason to play this deck.

/thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Sounds awesome. I have just a few suggestions. Granted, not all of them pass the required top 32 criteria, but also none of them are random 75 card piles either. I love how long that list is though, legggacccyyyyy!

Deadguy Ale, Stasis, Parfait, Green Stax (Trinity Green), Esper Mentor, Brave Sir Robin, Braids Stax, Pox.

Also I'd suggest some fairly different types of things you have listed, such as UR and BUG Landstill, Junk/Sneak/BUG Pod Nic Fit, adding a few different flavors of tempo such as BUG and RUG in addition to UR and Grixis.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Lands?
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Lands?
    Like the old school 43 lands.dec decks? Lands is technically on the list 3 times otherwise, RG lands, hexmage depths, and Jund depths. If you feel the other build should be on the list I'll add it; I figured it's just the predecessor to the newer build so it doesn't really count since it's not *that* different than the RG build is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosque View Post
    Sounds awesome. I have just a few suggestions. Granted, not all of them pass the required top 32 criteria, but also none of them are random 75 card piles either. I love how long that list is though, legggacccyyyyy!

Deadguy Ale, Stasis, Parfait, Green Stax (Trinity Green), Esper Mentor, Brave Sir Robin, Braids Stax, Pox.

Also I'd suggest some fairly different types of things you have listed, such as UR and BUG Landstill, Junk/Sneak/BUG Pod Nic Fit, adding a few different flavors of tempo such as BUG and RUG in addition to UR and Grixis.

A couple friends had pointed out I missed Deadguy Ale, Brave Sir Robin, and Pox. I'm not sure Pox should really make the cut here, because I feel it hasn't been relevant in a really really long time. Everything else should make the rotation though! For Nic Fit I don't want to spend 12 weeks just playing variants of that deck, since there's so many! I do want to pick one of the "wackiest" builds of Nic Fit to try though. I saw one which had something like 3 diabolic intent, 1 academy rector, 1 omniscience, and 1 emrakul, the aeon's torn in the main deck, and I think a way to tutor up the academy rector (can't remember what it was, I think it might have been living wish in the main deck and academy rector was in the board).

Was braids stax even ever an actual deck?

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jakobian1010 View Post
    Like the old school 43 lands.dec decks? Lands is technically on the list 3 times otherwise, RG lands, hexmage depths, and Jund depths. If you feel the other build should be on the list I'll add it; I figured it's just the predecessor to the newer build so it doesn't really count since it's not *that* different than the RG build is now.
    I read over that list thrice and missed it every time...
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Folk Punk Pirate
    Oct 2007
    Mannheim, Germany

Ooops All Spells, 4C Delver (BURG), Jeskai Delver, Jeskai Blade, Abzan (Black Maverick)

There really are a lot of "viable" Legacy.decs...

Also: Esper Blade is on the list twice.
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - Not really a Legacy Team anymore.

What about Angel Stompy? Surely your "impressive collection" must include 4 Moat?

Edit: Never mind, apparently i can't read.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Zoo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Impressive list of decks and I apploude your goal! I'm planning something similar for Modern, where I literally have every single tier x- tier 1 deck. I'm even thinking about writting sort of blog/reports from our weekly tournaments (fnm like).

edit: you really need to have Pox on the list. The deck is delightfully evil
    Last edited by Mr Miagi; 11-17-2016 at 06:36 AM.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

No Nourishing Lich, no bueno.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jakobian1010 View Post
    The deck also has to have placed top32 within the past 4 years.
    or won a game...

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

What was the name of that 13 forest stompy deck with Rogue Elephants?
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

8 Land Stompy
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    8 Land Stompy
    8! That's the one.

Must have made loads of T32s in the past few years, the power of Rogue Elephant is crazy.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dingo View Post

I've never heard of that thread, but it was one of the most beautiful things I have ever read.

Does Green Stax refer to the one with a full playset of Tireless Tracker, alongside Crucible and Asuza? Seemed like a fun list.

And speaking of green stompy, I placed 23rd in a 72 man event at the start of the year with Eureka Order, does that make it count?

Thread Information