Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: A deck per week challenge

Re: A deck per week challenge

I'd cut 2 things for more creatures and try again.

Alright guys, I know I had a reaaaaaally long hiatus. It just wasn't convenient for me to go play weekly legacy (45 minute drive without snow, and it's been snowing a lot). Luckily, another store which is more conveniently located just started doing weekly legacy events a few weeks back. I didn't hear about it the first couple of weeks, and just played MUD last week since I already had it built, so nothing too exciting.

I played this silly shenanigans deck today to a 3-0 finish!

Matchups:
    Round 1 vs Eldrazi:
    Game 1:
    Opponent leads with a turn 1 chalice on x=1 off of city of traitors. My turn 1 is land go, his turn two is cast thoughtknot seer and get painter out of my hand. He followed it up shortly thereafter with a reality smasher and I didn't get there.
    Game 2:
    I sideboard in abrupt decay x2, magus of the moon, and toxic deluge; boarding out 1 thoughtseize, 1 collective brutality, 1 traverse the ulvenwald, and 1 sylvan library.
    Turn 1 I fetch for bayou, then cast GSZ to get dryad arbor. Turn 2 I cast painter's servant naming green, and turn 3 I cast natural order to get Iona, naming green. GG.
    Game 3:
    Turn 1 he plays endless one at x=2, I play turn 1 grind stone, he plays turn 2 matter reshaper, I play turn 2 painter's servant, he plays turn 3 endless one at x=4. Turn 3 I grindstone his library out.

Round 2 vs Stoneblade:

Game 1:
    The game was really fast, I think it was turn 1 gsz for dryad arbor, turn 2 natural order for progenitus off of an ancient tomb. Opponent's turn 2 was stoneforge mystic getting batterskull, but the batterskull life gain didn't race the progenitus 10 damage per turn.
    Game 2:
    I sideboarded in 3 abrupt decay, 2 carpet of flowers, 1 choke, and 1 Ruric Thar; I sideboarded out 1 traverse the ulvenwald, 1 collective brutality, 1 elvish spirit guide, 1 Sylvan Library, 1 birds of paradise, and 2 other cards I don't recall.
    I played a turn 1 deathrite, he played swords to plowshares on it, I played turn 2, he played turn 2 meddling mage naming grindstone. I had progenitus in hand so I had to natural order to get Ruric Thar. My opponent apparently had a hand full of creatures so he didn't even care. He cast stoneforge mystic and got jitte. He cast a true name nemesis the following turn which basically blanked Ruric Thar. I played a painter the next turn making everything green. He puts Jitte into play using stoneforge mystic. I topdeck a grindstone and decide 6 damage is acceptable, but my opponent casts SPELL QUELLER and wrecks me. He equips Jitte on Spell queller then sends it at me and I block with ruric thar. I guess he didn't know he has reach. I cast the grindstone and he spell queller's it again. At this point I'm at 3 life because of Ruric thar triggers for grindstone and abrupt decay, so even if I abrupt decay the second spell queller I just die. He swings at me with true name nemesis and I bite the dust.

Game 3:
    Turn 1 deathrite shaman off bayou, his turn 1 he swords to plowshares' it. Turn 2 fetch forest, cast painter's servant that got dazed. Turn 3 sylvan safekeeper then painter's servant off a sol land. He casts meddling mage naming grindstone. Turn 4 I got natural order for Iona naming green. GG.

Round 3 against Tezzeret/Birthing pod (I'm fairly certain it was this list: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/931917#paper):

Game 1:
    Opponent amassed many artifacts and tezzeret, I had a painter, bayou, ancient tomb in play, elvish spirit guide and natural order in hand, and never saw another green creature. I eventually cast the spirit guide hoping to topdeck a green mana source instead, but never see it. My opponent birthing pods for glen elendra archmage. I had a collective brutality to kill it (and pitch my progenitus to escalate) but glen elendra was still able to counter my natural order, and he was able to activate tezzeret minus to kill me.

Game 2:
    I got turn 1 bayou grindstone, turn 2 thoughtseize (hitting his reclamation sage, whew!), then ancient tomb + painter's servant to make everything green. Turn 3 I'm able to activate the grindstone with the ancient tomb + bayou for the win.

Game 3:
    I got turn 1 painter's servant + grindstone by using an elvish spirit guide and a city of traitors. Turn 2 tap city for 2, then play bayou for the 3rd source to activate grindstone for the win. Lucky opener.

Overall I had an absolute blast playing this deck. So much silliness, and I was surprised at how well the deck actually worked.

Here's the list!

Natural Order Painter (NO Painter)

4 painter's servant
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons torn
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Progenitus
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Birds of Paradise
    2 Sylvan Safekeeper
    1 Spellskite
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide

2 Green sun's Zenith
    1 worldly tutor
    1 traverse the ulvenwald
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 collective brutality
    2 Sylvan library
    4 grindstone
    4 Natural Order

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    2 forest
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 swamp
    1 wooded foothills
    4 verdant catacombs
    4 bayou

Sideboard

4 abrupt decay
    1 Xantid Swarm
    1 meddling mage
    1 Magus of the moon
    1 ruric thar
    1 toxic deluge
    1 choke
    2 carpet of flowers
    1 collective brutality
    2 surgical extraction

Next up: Bomberman (post top ban build)

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1), UWR Nahiri Control (2-1), BUG Opposition(1-2), Renegade Maverick (2-0-1), Shardless BUG (0-2-1), Infect* (2-3), D&T (2-1), Food Chain Ballista build* (3-3), Dredge (1-2 but the win was a bye), UWR bomberman (3-1), Zombardment (1-2), Hive Mind combo (2-1), Elves (1-2), Aeon Bridge (2-1), The People's Cannon (belcher) (1-2), Jund Depths (1-2), Brave Sir Robin (1-2), Eureka and Tell (0-3), GB NO Painter (3-0)

* denotes the deck was played in an event other than a weekly event for store credit, such as a monthly event for staples.

Excellent work! If we ever do another proxy legacy event I might run this. I'd cut the traverse and mage for another library and choke (we have so much blue control) but otherwise don't think I'd change much.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i've never even heard of this deck. it looks pretty fun. congrats on the 3-0.
    -rob

I've posted a couple of lists in their own thread because they're new brews! The weekly legacy event hasn't been firing so I haven't been able to be silly as often as I'd like to, but I'm still trying new things and doing weird stuff!

Minotaurs!
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...(AKA-Toot-toot!)

Squee Chain
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...20#post1043920

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1), UWR Nahiri Control (2-1), BUG Opposition(1-2), Renegade Maverick (2-0-1), Shardless BUG (0-2-1), Infect* (2-3), D&T (2-1), Food Chain Ballista build* (3-3), Dredge (1-2 but the win was a bye), UWR bomberman (3-1), Zombardment (1-2), Hive Mind combo (2-1), Elves (1-2), Aeon Bridge (2-1), The People's Cannon (belcher) (1-2), Jund Depths (1-2), Brave Sir Robin (1-2), Eureka and Tell (0-3), GB NO Painter (3-0), Minotaurs (2-1), Squee Chain (3-1)

I vote for the Spanish Inquisition next. It’ll be fitting due to the Meditate spike.

Hello thread. I played Steel Stompy at a local event to a 4-0 finish. I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed playing this deck, and all the neat little interactions it has. My matches were BR reanimator (2-1), Dredge (2-1), UR delver (2-0), and BR reanimator (2-1)

A shop started doing legacy every two weeks and this was their first event. We had 26 players and I am ecstatic to have a semi-weekly event to play new/silly brews in again. Next Thursday I'll be playing a Grixis Vial Smasher list.

Round 1: BR reanimator
    I started the day off with a good old fashioned mull to 4 cards. My 7, 6, and 5 card hands all had either no lands or a single city of traitors to cast stuff with, and I didn't want to get rekt by a wasteland. The 4 I kept was City of Traitors, Thorn of Amethyst, Lodestone Golem, Lotus Petal. I scryed a ballista to the bottom. I played lotus petal and thorn turn 1, passed the turn, drew nonland and passed it back, then drew a land which let me cast turn 3 lodestone golem. This was enough hate to buy a lot of turns, and I drew into another thorn of amethyst and enough mana to cast it, which bought more time. My opponent got a griselbrand on the table but only was able to draw 7 cards and pass the turn, I got an arcbound ravager and swung with my lodestone golem. Opponent blocked and I sacrificed artifacts to make lodestone a 10/8. Opponent got a second griselbrand into play on his turn, but my lodestone golem ate this one too.

Game 2:
    Boarded in 3 tormods crypts and 3 ensnaring bridges, boarded out 4 vault skirge, 1 jitte, 1 revoker.
    I got some dudes into play but my opponent t reanimated an elesh norn and it basically locked me out of stuff.

Game 3:
    I don't remember details on this one but I had something like thorn of amethyst, double ballista, steel overseer, blinkmoth nexus, and 2 sol lands in my first couple of turns worth of cards, so I had a very fast army.

Round 2: Dredge
    Game 1:
    Dredge overwhelmed me with zombies despite my two thorn of amethyst start. They slowly amassed zombies until it was too much for me to handle and I died.

Game 2:
    Boarded in 3 tormods crypts, 2 ratchet bomb, 2 hangarback walker. Boarded out 4 revokers, 1 metamorph, 1 chalice, 1 lodestone golem
    For games 2 and 3 I pretty much just had a decently fast start and a tormods crypt in the opener. Better lucky than good.

Round 3: UR delver
    These games were very close and had a lot of interesting back and forth. Vault skirge really shined in this match-up, as well as walking ballista. Both games were very close and I ended them with less than 5 life.

Round 4: BR reanimator again
    I got paired down so I could either scoop or play it out, and since it was the first time I was on the deck I decided to play it out so I could get more games in.
    These games went pretty similarly to the first BR reanimator opponent. Thorn and lodestone golem really pulled their weight, and arcbound ravager enabled combat tricks so my opponent couldn't block with a griselbrand to get back in the game.

Steel Stompy

4 Walking Ballista
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Vault Skirge
    2 Etched Champion
    4 Lodestone Golem
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Inventors' Fair
    2 Karakas
    4 Blinkmoth Nexus
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard (15)

2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Spellskite
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Hangarback Walker
    3 Tormod's Crypt

I really liked this list, and I was happy with the blinkmoth nexus' over mishras factories. I could see running one less lodestone golem but I don't know what I'd replace it with, since it pulls double duty of being a clock and a lock piece. The sideboard felt great and shored up the bad match-ups very well.

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1), UWR Nahiri Control (2-1), BUG Opposition(1-2), Renegade Maverick (2-0-1), Shardless BUG (0-2-1), Infect* (2-3), D&T (2-1), Food Chain Ballista build* (3-3), Dredge (1-2 but the win was a bye), UWR bomberman (3-1), Zombardment (1-2), Hive Mind combo (2-1), Elves (1-2), Aeon Bridge (2-1), The People's Cannon (belcher) (1-2), Jund Depths (1-2), Brave Sir Robin (1-2), Eureka and Tell (0-3), GB NO Painter (3-0), Minotaurs (2-1), RG Squeechain (3-1), Steel Stompy (4-0)

* denotes the deck was played in an event other than a weekly event for store credit, such as a monthly event for staples.

Back with another brew today. I wanted to see how viable a bant version of Food Chain would be. I ended up going 2-2 in a 4 round event, but I don't think it was the deck's fault. My matches were: D&T (2-1), RG lands (2-0), Canadian Threshold (1-2), and Sneak & Show (0-2)

Bant Food Chain

4 food chain
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    3 Spellqueller
    1 Fierce Empath
    4 noble hierarch
    1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Spellseeker
    1 Emrakul, The Aeons Torn
    1 Tidespout Tyrant

4 brainstorm
    4 force of will
    3 Ponder
    1 Sylvan Library
    3 Misthollow Griffin
    3 Manipulate Fate
    4 Swords to Plowshares

2 Island
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Savannah
    2 Tundra
    1 Windswept Heath
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Misty Rainforest

Sideboard

1 Blessed Alliance
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Spellqueller
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Venser, Shaper Savant
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Karakas
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Rest In Peace

I had good games against every deck I played against except for Sneak and Show. I basically drew zero countermagic and he cast a sneak attack with a simian spirit guide and lotus petal in hand so he could cheat in griselbrand and emrakul on like turn 4 both games. Game 1 I kept a food chain-centric hand that would have combo'd off on turn 3 had I drawn a griffin or a manipulate fate (It was food chain x2, 2 fetches, noble hierarch x2, fierce empath), I figured out very quickly that he was on sneak & show and cast turn 2 empath to get emrakul, which turned off his show and tell. Unfortunately he cantrip'd into the sneak attack and got me good. Game 2 I had a mull to 6 that had brainstorm, ponder, spellseeker, noble hierarch, tropical island, flooded strand. It was an acceptable keep, but the cantrips saw 0 countermagic. I had a ton of hate to board in vs the deck, I just didn't get to get anywhere with it.

The other matchups felt very solid, and I felt in control most of the game. I'm not going to go into full detail, but instead I'll just make comments on the deck in general, some tech-y stuff that it can do, and some cool plays that happened.

Tech-y Stuff:
    Swords to plowshares is a multi-purpose card as it can "save" a misthollow griffin from going to the graveyard, as well as it's intended purpose of removing opposing threats.
    Spell Queller is a great card in the deck, as you can cast it the turn before you cast a food chain if you just need the mana to go off into griffin town, or you can use it to counter opponent's stuff, OR you can save a misthollow griffin from going to the graveyard from a counterspell (you exile your own griffin, and you can just recast it). That being said, the 4th in the board should probably be something else, maybe a spell pierce.
    Scavenging ooze is a little weird but has some great late-game utility to recycle griffins, and it helped me in game 1 vs RG lands. I also let 2 griffins die to tabernacle triggers because I didn't have enough mana to upkeep all of my creatures, then ate them with scooze (using hierachs for the activation cost) so I had one big dude instead of several smaller dudes.
    Rest In Peace I sideboarded this in vs RG lands and vs Canadian Threshold, and it was great at shutting them down. Additionally, it made it so easy for me to make combat trades/blocks with misthollow griffins with no food chain in play, and cast griffins into countermagic with no fear of them ending up stranded in the graveyard. It was very cool.

Cool Plays:
    In game 3 vs Canadian Threshold, opponent was at 8, I was at 3. Opponent had a true name nemesis and I had a misthollow griffin, 3 noble hierarchs, and a spellseeker in play. I topdecked a swords to plowshares for the turn, swung in for 6, then post-combat I tried to STP my own griffin but my opponent had the force of will to stop it. Would have been a sweet play if it hadn't been countered.
    In game 3 vs D&T opponent had an ethersworn canonist in play, then vial'ed in a recruiter of the guard to get a sanctum prelate to put on 1 so I couldn't swords to plowshares the canonist. I had a palace jailer to kill it instead, and I was able to use palace jailer to food chain into griffin into emrakul. Opponent didn't get his canonist back because I was still the monarch. Sweet interaction IMO.

Changes I would make to the list:
    Move the karakas to the maindeck, replacing a tropical Island with it. 2 Trops is enough, and karakas enables infinite turns as well as some protection from opposing legendary dudes.
    I'd make the following changes to the sideboard: -1 Karakas (move it to the main deck) -1 SpellQueller, -1 Venser, Shaper Savant, +1 Supreme Verdict, +1 Disenchant, +1 Containment Priest

Other than those changes, everything else felt awesome. I'd definitely play the deck again in a bigger event. For anyone who's wondering why I'm not on Walking Ballista, it's mostly that I believe Sneak & Show will be pretty common in the meta, and emrakul/tidespout are way better to show in than a 0/0...

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1), UWR Nahiri Control (2-1), BUG Opposition(1-2), Renegade Maverick (2-0-1), Shardless BUG (0-2-1), Infect* (2-3), D&T (2-1), Food Chain Ballista build* (3-3), Dredge (1-2 but the win was a bye), UWR bomberman (3-1), Zombardment (1-2), Hive Mind combo (2-1), Elves (1-2), Aeon Bridge (2-1), The People's Cannon (belcher) (1-2), Jund Depths (1-2), Brave Sir Robin (1-2), Eureka and Tell (0-3), GB NO Painter (3-0), Minotaurs (2-1), RG Squee Chain (3-1), Steel Stompy (4-0), Bant Food chain (2-2)

Hello again,
    Thursday night legacy rolled around again pretty fast (it's only every other week). I (somewhat begrudgingly) promised a friend I'd try out this silly mono white bomberman deck. I went 2-2, narrowly missing out on the necessary 3 wins for prizing. My matchups were: Humans (in legacy!?) (1-2), Sneak and Show (2-1), D&T (2-0), and Eldrazi Post (1-2)

Mono White Bomberman

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    4 Ancient Den

4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Monastery Mentor
    4 Walking Ballista

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 The Antiquities War
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Mind Stone
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Urza's Bauble

Sideboard

1 Cast Out
    3 Containment Priest
    1 Disenchant
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Karakas

The good:
    Hands that go off are frickin' nuts! In a game vs sneak and show I had him dead on turn 2 because turn 1 involved casting monastery mentor, making 3 tokens off of baubles and 1 off a non-bauble, then the following turn casting 3 more spells I drew off the baubles and my draw for my turn. Woohoo!
    Karn is a beast! Against Eldrazi Post one of my hands basically just put a bunch of artifacts on the table and cast Karn turn 1. By the end of the game I had 4 8/8 construct tokens, and outraced eldrazi on beatdown.
    Against D&T I actually never got pieces to go full combo, instead just creating better creatures faster than my opponent could deal with them or build his board state. I was surprised the deck could even take this sort of route, given how many cards are essentially do-nothing cantrips.

The Bad:
    Oh my god the mulligans. There are so many hands that just look completely awful (3 baubles, sol land, chalice, ancient den, LED or similar), or hands that can cast a mentor IF you draw another mana source, but you have to cast two artifacts to do it, so is it even good enough?
    I did a silly misplay against Humans. I had drawn something like 40ish cards on his turn because I had the infinite loop but no ballista, so I re-cast and sacrificed a bauble a bunch of times. On my turn I had ancient den x2, city of traitors, mox opal, and he had just played a thalia for his turn. I needed to deal with Thalia but my only out was Cast out (I thought at the time). I tapped city, cast 2 lotus petals, tapped mox opal, sacrificed the lotus petals, and tapped the 2 ancient dens for the necessary 5 mana for Cast Out, huzzah!! OOOOOOR I could have just played my karakas for the land for the turn. oops! I still combo'd out and won the game but afterwards told my opponent I was an idiot for not just playing Karakas.

The Ugly:
    Not having a mainboard out to chalice on 0 is rough. Opponents having a meddling mage on walking ballista is also rough.
    I didn't have 4 karn so I played a 1-of The Antiquities War, I never drew it so it didn't matter, but I actually think it would have been gas if I'd drawn it.

Changes I'd make to this list if I played it again:
    Cut mind stone for either engineered explosives or Council's Judgment to deal with chalice on 0, meddling mage, or other cards that shut down the combo in game 1's
    Cut 1 Tormod's Crypt and 1 Ethersworn canonist from the board to make room for more ways to deal with stuff that kills the combo, probably 1 disenchant and 1 Council's Judgment or similar

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1), UWR Nahiri Control (2-1), BUG Opposition(1-2), Renegade Maverick (2-0-1), Shardless BUG (0-2-1), Infect* (2-3), D&T (2-1), Food Chain Ballista build* (3-3), Dredge (1-2 but the win was a bye), UWR bomberman (3-1), Zombardment (1-2), Hive Mind combo (2-1), Elves (1-2), Aeon Bridge (2-1), The People's Cannon (belcher) (1-2), Jund Depths (1-2), Brave Sir Robin (1-2), Eureka and Tell (0-3), GB NO Painter (3-0), Minotaurs (2-1), RG Squee Chain (3-1), Steel Stompy (4-0), Bant Food chain (2-2) Mono White Bomberman (2-2)

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Jakobian1010 View Post
    The Bad:
    Oh my god the mulligans. There are so many hands that just look completely awful (3 baubles, sol land, chalice, ancient den, LED or similar)
    I would snap keep that hand especially if on the play. Perhaps you mulled too much sir. I always preferred red for Imperial Recruiter, but this mono colored list seems like gas.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

I just felt like keeping hands with no threat in them was bad. By threat I mean salvagers, Karn, or Mentor. In that example hand if you run out all the baubles and crack them, then draw into mentor you feel bad. If you draw into Karn you feel OK, if you draw into salvagers + another mana source you're good to go, that's not a lot of probability that you're happy with your 3 extra draws. Maybe I didn't evaluate right though. The deck was better than I thought it would be, but doesn't fit my playstyle too well, despite being mostly artifacts.dec

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Alright here's some big news. This past weekend I played at Eternal Weekend with Slow depths and I went 9-2 in the swiss rounds. I lost to storm in the top8, which I felt was the worst deck for me to play against.

Here's the list I played:

3 Bayou
    1 Bojuka Bog
    4 Dark Depths
    1 Forest
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Swamp

4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wasteland
    1 Wooded Foothills

4 Dark Confidant
    3 Sylvan Safekeeper
    4 Vampire Hexmage

4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Crop Rotation
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Sylvan Scrying
    4 Thoughtseize
    1 Life From The Loam

3 Mox Diamond
    1 Sylvan Library

SIDEBOARD

3 Dread of Night
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Duress
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Karakas
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Tireless Tracker

It's David Long's list from the scg legacy open Baltimore with a couple of very minor modifications. Overall I was happy with the chains of mephistopheles over a duress, 3x mox diamond and 1x life from the loam was good too. I could see cutting a dread of night from the board with something to help with combo matches. I didn't have many matches where GSZ dryad arbor gaddock teeg tireless tracker package seemed correct. I think I just didn't need the GSZ and gaddock teeg package because of the matchups I got (except for storm obviously), so they may be valuable sideboard pieces but I just never needed them. I could also justify moving maze of ith to the sideboard and maindecking another discard spell.

Rather than give a lengthy report and talk about sideboarding and everything, I'll just give a summary of the match ups, how they felt, and what went wrong when I lost games.

Round 1: Manaless Dredge (2-1)
    Not a lot to say here, mostly just I can combo faster than they can, and thoughtseize is black time walk against them. I lost the die roll and he said he'd be on the draw, I wrote down manaless dredge on my life pad. After the round he asked if I'd seen the deck before and I told him "yeah, I wrote it down when you said you were on the draw..."

Round 2: Food Chain (2-1)
    Baleful strix is annoying, but I was able to thoughtseize important cards, game 2 I got chains of mephistopheles and it likely won me the game because he couldn't dig for blockers. Game 3 crop rotation for sejiri steppe let me get through his baleful strix blocker he had up. *whew*

Round 3: BUG control (2-1)
    I have like zero recollection of this matchup except it was more baleful strixes I had to deal with, and I apparently attacked him down to 8 with bobs before killing him in game 3.

Round 4: Grixis control (2-1)
    More. Baleful. Strixes. Ugh! Game 1 I think I made a turn 2 20/20 after a turn 1 thoughtseize. Sometimes you get the easy hands.
    I had to make sure to get combo lands on the table fast so hymn to taurach couldn't hit them. It made me sacrifice resiliency and had to just go fast and hope he didn't have diabolic edict.

Round 5: Sneak and show part 1 (2-0)

Game 1 the turn I got stage and depths and 2 mana active my opponent casts show and tell and puts in griselbrand, but he had to completely tap out to do so (cantrips first). I had sejiri steppe in my opener so I just played it as my land for turn and gave marit lage pro black for the win.
    Game 2 I had thoughtseize into a fast depths combo for the win.

Round 6: Sneak and show part 2 (2-0)
    Oh hey look this deck again!
    I combo'd out faster than he did. He cantripped into nothingness and thoughtseize disrupted the plan.

Round 7: UB omnishow (1-2)

Ok, this match actually deserves some comments. Game 1 my opponent gets show and tell into omniscience, cunning wish to get firemind's foresight, getting brainstorm, lim-dul's vault, and cunning wish. He casts lim-duls vault, looks at top 5, puts on bottom, looks at next top 5, puts on bottom paying 1 life, looks at 3rd set of top 5 cards, then puts them on top of his library and goes to cast cunning wish. I tell him he didn't resolve his spell correctly, he needs to shuffle all but the top 5 cards. He says "what?" I say "That's how your card works. You have to shuffle all but the top 5 cards then put those 5 on top in any order, have you been resolving it wrong this entire tournament?" (he had been apparently). His friend says something like "Wow that's good knowledge off the top of your head" I didn't respond. He proceeds to release the ants onto my face to kill me though.
    Game 2 I thoughtseized him and it slowed him down enough for bob to give me enough cards to make the 20/20 and kill him. Looks like I attacked for 4 turns before I made the marit lage.
    Game 3 he gets a fast show and tell into omniscience, cunning wishes for firemind's foresight, casts it and sets down ponder. I said "you can't get ponder, you can only get instants. Have you been resolving this wrong the whole tournament too?" He says "No I swear this is the first time I grabbed ponder, I always grab brainstorm!" uhhhh... ok seems sketchy. He swaps the ponder for brainstorm and ends up killing me with an emrakul.

I found a judge after the match and explained to him what my opponent had done. I should have called the judge on the spot for both offenses, but the event was pretty laid back and he was so excited he was doing so well. Judge told me he would let other judges know to keep an eye on him. As a side note, he lost the next 3 rounds. I wonder if it's because he wasn't cheating anymore...

Round 8: Death and Taxes (2-0)
    I'm going to take a little bit of time to talk about this match up as well, since it's *traditionally* a bad matchup for depths. This build trounces D&T. Wasteland can handle opposing wastelands or karakas better than pithing needle can. Dread of night post-board essentially gives them 2-3 threats in their deck (mirran crusader(s), batterskull, stoneforge mystics with sword of fire and ice equipped...). Sylvan Safekeeper is a beast at stopping swords to plowshares, karakas, and flickerwisp. Honestly wish I had played against D&T in more rounds because I didn't get to use dread of night very much.

Round 9: Esper miracles (0-2)
    Going to be honest here. My opponent was very talkative and seemed pretty cocky. He slow played like a motherfucker in game 1 and I got frustrated and scooped to his board state of jace TMS with 3 counters on it, he had council's judgment and stp in the graveyard, and like 8 cards in hand every turn (from jace brainstorm. He didn't fateseal for god knows why). I think he was intentionally drawing out the time for some reason, but I could be wrong.
    The matchup was particularly bad because he had strixes, jace TMS, swords, snapcaster, terminus, counterbalance, etc... I didn't have much of a chance.

Round 10: Sneak and Show Part 3 (2-0)
    I was able to thoughtseize his intuition, and got to wasteland when he fetched for volcanic island (his opener was ancient tomb, ponder, emrakul, omniscience x2, intuition, misty rainforest). He never drew a colored source and I had infinite time basically.
    Game 2 he kept a bad hand because it had blood moon, show and tell, city of traitors, and some cantrips. I thoughtseized blood moon and he never drew any cards that mattered...

Round 11: Miracles (2-0)
    Sylvan safekeeper did a lot of work for this matchup, and my opponent never got a terminus online. He played 3 brainstorms in game 2 so I figured there was a great chance he didn't have a way to terminus me, and I had safekeeper to prevent his swords from getting me.

Top8: Storm (0-2)
    My opener had maze of ith and 2 abrupt decays, no combo pieces whatsoever. My 6 also had no combo pieces and no disruption. My 5 had a dark depths, bob, urborg, and a thoughtseize. Opponent killed me turn 3.

His sideboard has 2 chain of vapor, 3 echoing truth. I kept a hand that had a way to get turn 2 gaddock teeg if I had drawn a land that taps for mana in turn 2. I didn't draw the land and my opponent had an insane draw.

I feel like my matchup vs this particular deck was basically hopeless, so I don't feel too bad about losing in top8.

I had an amazing weekend with great friends and a great finish. I barely squeeked in to top8 with a 1% better breakers than the player below me. One of the other guys staying in my hotel room got 3rd place as well. Shout outs to Christopher Walton on Czech Pile. Additional shout outs to Michael Antrim on Maverick for 12th place, and Matt McCallum on maverick at 19th place. That makes 4 of our local legacy scene in the top 20, which is pretty awesome IMO.

Some additional fun from the event: The car I rode down in had an inflatable dinosaur from like 1987 and it happened to be the Saltasaurus. We had this plan of handing the saltasaurus over to someone who took a loss particularly poorly, but the two rounds on Sunday had opponents which took their losses in stride. Well there's at least one more opportunity in the top8 matches right? But alas, tragedy struck when the Saltasaurus was accidentally abandoned in the local pizza place near the trash can. An employee threw it in the trash, and it got covered in pizza sauce. RIP in peace saltasaurus inflatable dinosaur.

Last edited by Jakobian1010; 03-27-2019 at 11:12 AM.

!!!!!!!!!
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Cartesian went 5-0 with this apparently, it's incredibly sweet: http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=30046&iddeck=253691. Someone in the ooze thread worked out how the combos work.

Winter Maze

Thread Information