Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A deck per week challenge

Re: A deck per week challenge

I basically do this without announcing it to the internet.

Edit: Viable is debatable

Edit 2: I have 4 moats.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    What was the name of that 13 forest stompy deck with Rogue Elephants?
    Seņor Stompy

It was an offshoot of 5CG Type II decks.

approximately

14 Forest

4 Fyndhorn/Llanowar Elves
    4 Ghazban Ogre
    3 Harvest Wurm
    3 Jolrael's Centaur
    3 Lhurgoyf
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Rogue Elephant
    4 Spectral Bears
    2 Uktabi Orangutan
    2 Whirling Dervish
    4 Winter Orb
    4 Bounty of the Hunt
    4 Giant Growth

I guess now you could make some modern substitutions ... Dryad Arbors/Militants, Goyfs, The Haste GG Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    Does Green Stax refer to the one with a full playset of Tireless Tracker, alongside Crucible and Asuza?
    I play something more like Chalice, Trinisphere, Sol Lands, Tangle Wire, Smokestack, Crucible, Wasteland, and then GSZ and Thragtusk and a toolbox of friends. But you're right it's not actually a real deck. Maybe Sylvan Plug instead? Braids Stax, similarly isn't a real deck and lacks the nostalgia of playing Stasis.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Do you just scream your deck choices into a pillow?

What are your first couple planned? You should write up reports/deck lists.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

lol my buddy has a casual elves deck that did alright in legacy with a similar idea. Basically Elves that produce mana, lords, Joraga Warcaller, Gilt-Leaf Archdruid as a funny almost-win-con, and then Winter Orbs and Root Maze. That combo with the Elves is so hilariously obnoxious to play against that I think it beat S&T, Reanimator, and a couple Delver decks at the time.

Seņor Stompy

It was an offshoot of 5CG Type II decks.

approximately

14 Forest

4 Fyndhorn/Llanowar Elves
    4 Ghazban Ogre
    3 Harvest Wurm
    3 Jolrael's Centaur
    3 Lhurgoyf
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Rogue Elephant
    4 Spectral Bears
    2 Uktabi Orangutan
    2 Whirling Dervish
    4 Winter Orb
    4 Bounty of the Hunt
    4 Giant Growth

I guess now you could make some modern substitutions ... Dryad Arbors/Militants, Goyfs, The Haste GG Spirit
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Is green chalice aggro, bauble/freecycle burn, or legacy eggs on the list yet?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

anything with 4 stunted growth would be fine with me! i once played this in an extended PTQ. 2-0 then 0-3!

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Ca...tiverseid=2590
    -rob

Hello!

So today was the first event since I started the thread (My LGS does legacy on Monday nights), but it was technically deck #6. Today I played the BG Hexmage Depths deck to an undefeated finish. There were 4 rounds of swiss, and I played against Goblin Charbelcher (2-1); Elves (2-0), Shardless BUG (2-1), and I intentionally drew the final round of swiss so I could get home at a reasonable hour. The deck is super fun to play, combos lightning fast, and has some good protection to boot. The play of the day was in game 3 vs belcher, I had a mull to 5 on the play, and my hand was Thoughtseize, Urborg Tomb of Yawgmoth, Vampire Hexmage, Dark Depths, and a Verdant Catacombs. What a snapkeep! Honorable mention vs Shardless BUG; I had snow-covered swamp, urborg tomb of yawgmoth, and ghost quarter in play, opponent had bayou, forest, tropical island, wasteland in play. I play dark depths because I'm at 9 life staring down two 3/4 goyfs, during my end step my opponent goes to wasteland my dark depths, so I respond by tapping urborg and dark depths for BB, ghost-quartering my urborg, grabbing snow-covered forest, casting crop rotation sacrificing the forest, get thespian's stage and make the 20/20 Marit Lage in response. This was after ripping a couple force of wills from his hand with discard spells.

I never brought in the Gloom since I didn't play against any white decks, but I think it would have been awesome protection vs. death and taxes or miracles.

Here's the list I played:

Hexmage Depths

4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    4 Sylvan Scrying
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Duress
    1 Into the North
    4 Crop Rotation
    3 Not of This World
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Pithing Needle
    2 Expedition Map
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Bayou
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Snow-Covered Forest
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp

Sideboard:

1 Pithing Needle
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Krosan Grip
    3 Surgical Extraction
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Karakas
    2 Gloom

The decks played so far are: High Tide, Food Chain, Doomsday, MUD, Imperial Painter, Hexmage Depths

Alright guys, this week was a 3 round event, and I played The Cure! I went 2-1, my round 1 opponent was Elves (0-2); Round 2 was Esper Deathblade (2-0), Round 3 was Infect (2-1). I have to say this deck feels like a kind of poor man's infect. It's a bit too slow for my liking, and really only "goes off" with multiple copies of kavu, or a kavu and a false cure. I did get to basically kill someone on turn 3 by having a turn 2 kavu, turn 3 false cure -> skyshroud cutter -> invigorate on kavu. That felt pretty good. The sideboard I chose to run came in pretty handy, the only things I didn't board in was the 2nd copy of gaddock teeg, scavenging ooze, and rest in peace (I didn't play against any graveyard heavy decks). I probably should have had something else in the 2nd gaddock teeg slot.

My overall record was 2-1, which surprises me. I didn't think this deck really had any legs.

The Cure

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Kavu Predator
    4 Skyshroud Cutter
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Forest
    2 Swamp
    4 Bayou
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Savannah
    2 Scrubland
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Karakas
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 False Cure
    4 Invigorate
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Reverent Silence
    4 Thoughtseize

Sideboard

1 Pithing Needle
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Choke
    1 Nature's Claim
    1 Null Rod
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Xantid Swarm
    2 Gaddock Teeg

The decks played so far are: High Tide, Food Chain, Doomsday, MUD, Imperial Painter, Hexmage Depths, The Cure

Stiflenought?
    Sylvan Plug?
    Soldier Stompy?
    Faerie?

Went to a 54 person event today, decided to play Mono Red Sneak Through The Breach. I went 0-4 drop. I did win 1 game against each opponent. I frequently mulligan'd to 5 cards, and I frequently had multiple copies of half of the combo (a bunch of creatures in hand and no sneak attack/through the breach, or a bunch of sneak attacks and through the breaches and no creatures to cheat into play). Blood moon was unfortunately largely irrelevant and ended up getting sided out a lot. I lost 1-2 vs the following: Belcher, Nic Fit, Landstill, Nic Fit. The only thing that felt good throughout the course of the tournament was getting a turn 2 through the breach'd worldspine wurm against nic fit in one game. I did punt 1 game against the first Nic Fit opponent, I had ancient tomb, city of traitors, mountain, worldspine wurm, sneak attack, Through the Breach, Emrakul as my opener. Opponent thoughtseized my sneak attack, then paid 2 life and surgical extracted the other 3 copies from my deck, I played ancient tomb and passed, opponent played a land and passed, I topdecked a simian spirit guide and didn't think about playing city of traitors, exiling spirit guide, and tapping ancient tomb to cast through the breach for wurm. Next turn opponent played his 3rd land and cast lost legacy naming through the breach. I topdecked nothing important from then on and lost. I did have 2 pyromancy boarded in for a scenario such as this, but it didn't matter.

2 Inferno Titan
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Worldspine Wurm
    2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    2 Godo, Bandit Warlord
    3 Griselbrand
    9 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Crystal Vein
    1 Sandstone Needle
    2 Batterskull
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Sneak Attack
    4 Seething Song
    4 Through the Breach

Sideboard

3 Trinisphere
    2 Magus of the Moon
    2 Pyromancy
    2 Eidolon of the great revel
    1 Boil
    1 Kozilek's Return
    2 Sudden Shock
    2 Fiery Confluence

The decks played so far are: High Tide, Food Chain, Doomsday, MUD, Imperial Painter, Hexmage Depths, The Cure, Sneak Through the Breach
    Last edited by Jakobian1010; 12-06-2016 at 08:43 PM.

This is a bit late but I did play on Monday as well. I was on Tin Fins. This was the first time I've tried the no tendrils of agony list. Can honestly say I didn't really miss it much. I really like the transformative sideboard because it caught people off guard, even though it was such a small event. I went 2-1 and doubled my entry fee, huzzah! Anyway, here's the build below:

1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    2 Griselbrand
    1 Children of Korlis

4 Entomb
    3 Goryo's Vengeance
    2 Reanimate
    4 Shallow Grave

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Gitaxian Probe

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy

1 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual

1 Island
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    1 Swamp
    1 Tundra
    3 Underground Sea

Sideboard

1 Cavern of Souls
    3 Dark Confidant
    2 Flusterstorm
    4 Monastery Mentor
    2 Serenity
    3 Swords to Plowshares

The decks played so far are: High Tide, Food Chain, Doomsday, MUD, Imperial Painter, Hexmage Depths, The Cure, Sneak Through the Breach, Tin Fins

I played tin fins today quite fun.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Edit: Viable is debatable

Edit 2: I have 4 moats.
    Pretty much. I guess I should have started keeping a log of what I played each week a few years ago. Not sure how many of them would get the "viable" title though.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    Pretty much. I guess I should have started keeping a log of what I played each week a few years ago. Not sure how many of them would get the "viable" title though.
    Yeah, if we had a log/database where everyone could input deck/record/opposing decks/date it could end up being pretty fascinating.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Yeah, if we had a log/database where everyone could input deck/record/opposing decks/date it could end up being pretty fascinating.
    For comedic value, my last local event.

Deck: Cleric Tribal

Round 1: UB Reanimator - 1-2 loss
    Round 2: Sneaky Show - 2-0 win
    Round 3: Storm - 2-1 win
    Round 4: DnT - 0-2 loss
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Well after a hiatus last week due to traveling for work, I return this week with another deck. I decided to take "kinda"s deck suggestion and play RUG Ascension. The basic gist of the deck is to get a pyromancer's ascension powered up, then cast manamorphose and regrowth, ideally getting back manamorphose and a second copy of regrowth, which draws a bunch of cards, gets you into another manamorphose, which gets you mana enough to cast another pyromancer's ascension, which you then power up with the regrowth/manamorphose cycle until you've drawn a sufficient number of lightning bolts to kill your opponent with. Alternatively the goal is to just cast a bunch of cantrips with a young pyromancer in play and get a bunch of tokens to overwhelm your opponent. I got to do each of these things precisely one time out of 3 rounds of magic. I lost to Infect (1-2), Eldrazi (1-2), and Dredge (0-2). Not having any Daze or Force of will anywhere in the 75 is definitely wrong, as I could have won a couple more games had I had a free counterspell or bought myself at least 1 more turn, which force of will could have done. The delvers in the sideboard felt clunky, and I never boarded them in. I didn't want to dilute the combo plan too much and felt like it would have done so. Intuition also felt too slow in every matchup.

Without further ado, here's the list:

RUG Ascension (or as I call it, 8 pyromancer)

4 Flooded Strand
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Tropical Island
    4 Volcanic Island

4 Young Pyromancer

4 Brainstorm
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Grapeshot
    2 Intuition
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Ponder
    3 Punishing Fire
    3 Regrowth
    4 Spell Pierce
    4 Pyromancer Ascension

SIDEBOARD

1 Ancient Grudge
    4 Delver of Secrets
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Izzet Staticaster
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Divert
    1 Surgical Extraction

The decks played so far are: High Tide, Food Chain, Doomsday, MUD, Imperial Painter, Hexmage Depths, The Cure, Sneak Through the Breach, Tin Fins, RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer)

Thread Information