Denver, CO

Re: A deck per week challenge

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    List?
    To avoid hijacking his thread with jank:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...620#post984620
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Hello everyone. This Monday I played black red reanimator. I went 1-2, losing to goblins and shardless bug. I won against Burn. Goblins had their singleton warren weirding against me game one, and in game 2 mulligan'd to a faerie macabre. It was especially crummy because my opening hand was 2x dark ritual, fetchland, collective brutality, entomb, reanimate, lotus petal. If the hate card was surgical extraction or tormod's crypt I would have been fine. Oh well. Overall I felt insolent neonate was a little underperforming, and I had to mulligan a lot to get hands that felt like they had a shot at winning the game. The luck gods were not on my side. The sideboard cards all felt pretty good and relevant. I probably wouldn't change much in the list to be honest.

4 Chancellor of the Annex
    4 Griselbrand
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Insolent Neonate
    2 Sire of Insanity
    1 Tidespout Tyrant

4 Exhume
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Reanimate
    2 Collective Brutality

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Animate Dead

4 Badlands
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Swamp
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Mountain

Sideboard:

1 Blazing Archon
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Blood Moon
    3 Sneak Attack

The decks played so far are: High Tide, Food Chain, Doomsday, MUD, Imperial Painter, Hexmage Depths, The Cure, Sneak Through the Breach, Tin Fins, RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer), BR Reanimator

Hey, I just saw you played my deck (RUG Pyro). I am sorry you didnt have success with it.
    I think it didnt quite work out for three reasons:
    1. My list was very much a metacall. In Austria (or at least Vienna) around that time nearly noone played combo, but a lot of value-decks such as Shardless and Loam were being played. Thats why I cut FoW from the 75. In an open field/unknown meta/big tournament, it would be 100% correct to play FoW. Thats the problem with netdecking.
    2. You misunderstood the deck. Young Pyromancer beatdown is plan A. Pyromancer Ascension is for the value. Killing with the combo is Plan C at best. If you wanna play the typical Ascension Combo Deck (so-called Unstorm) you need a different list. Actually the Grapeshot was a last-minute inclusion, because it is just one slot to enable the combo, having random wins is nice and the card is not dead, because its insane against Elves, Infect and DnT. In most cases duplicated Bolts into the face should be enough. I played 6 rounds of swiss (4-1-1), lost in the finals and killed with the combo 0 times. Out of 9 matches.
    Delver is a beast. Especially against decks like Eldrazi and Dredge you want the speed and act as if you are a grindy/boardcontrol-ish UR Delver deck.
    3. The deck is fun but just not good. :P
    But cool you gave it a try! :)

This challenge seems fun. Keep us updated.

Best regards,
    Nicklas

I think you need to rate the decks somehow.

Well this week was a poor performance. I played Aluren to a lousy 0-3 finish. I lost 1-2 vs MUD (my own deck betrayed me!), lost 0-2 to BR Reanimator (literally my own deck I played last week, the player borrowed it from me), and I lost 1-2 to UWR control (true name nemesis, stoneforge mystic, counterspells, bolts, etc.). I might try the BUG build of Aluren as well, since it is significantly different than the list I played (by at least 15 cards, that's the rule). The BUG list I want to try focuses on sort of a build-your-own yawgmoth's bargain via multiple copies of cavern harpy and multiple copies of baleful strix, as well as multiple copies of glint-nest crane.

Here's the list I tried today:

3 Imperial Recruiter
    3 Recruiter of the Guard
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Dream Stalker
    1 Cavern Harpy
    1 Parasitic Strix
    1 Academy Rector
    1 Eternal Witness

4 Aluren
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Abrupt Decay

1 Underground Sea
    2 Bayou
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Taiga
    2 Savannah
    2 Forest
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Misty Rainforest

Sideboard:

2 Meddling Mage
    1 Force of Will
    2 Swan Song
    1 Flusterstorm
    2 Toxic Deluge
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Minister of Pain
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Null Rod

The decks played so far are: High Tide, Food Chain, Doomsday, MUD, Imperial Painter, Hexmage Depths, The Cure, Sneak Through the Breach, Tin Fins, RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer), BR Reanimator, Aluren

Well this week was kind of bad too. I went 1-2 with Mono Blue Omnishow. I lost round 1 vs UWR control (1-2), I won game 1, but my opponent countered a show and tell then surgically extracted it in both games 2 and 3. In game 3 I did get my sideboarded Talrand, Sky Summoner and I almost had my opponent dead, but he got a bitterblossom and a cheated in batterskull, which he then equipped to a faerie token. I didn't draw any castable cards for about 4 turns and his 5 life gain a turn was enough for him to win out. Round 2, I 2-0'd sneak and show. I'm not really going to elaborate on this one, it played out about how you'd expect. Round 3 I lost (1-2) vs. miracles. Game 1 I had a solid hand and was able to just omniscience into enter the infinite and he scooped, game 2 we had some counterspell wars over a show and tell, which my opponent eventually won (and resolved a vendilion clique, which beat me to death). Game 3 it was another fierce counterspell war, with my opponent winning the battle and casting a vendilion clique and a snapcaster mage to beat me to death. I feel like this deck would have done great had I not played against the two very counterspell heavy decks I played against. I did have some sort of rocky draws in a couple of games, but I was able to climb my way out of them pretty easily. I think too much of the sideboard is dedicated to cunning wish targets, and could probably add a couple of other cards to deal with situations better. FYI I boarded in 2 defense grid and 1 boseiju against every opponent I faced, I just never drew them really.

2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Enter the Infinite
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    4 Show and Tell
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Cunning Wish
    4 Force of Will
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Impulse
    1 Intuition

4 Omniscience
    2 Dream Halls

6 Island
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Ancient Tomb
    1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All

Sideboard:

1 Talrand, Sky Summoner
    1 Pact of Negation
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Noxious Revival
    1 Eladamri's Call
    1 Trickbind
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Intuition
    1 Release the Ants
    1 Rushing River
    1 Evacuation
    1 Firemind's Foresight
    2 Defense Grid
    1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All

The decks played so far are: High Tide, Food Chain, Doomsday, MUD, Imperial Painter, Hexmage Depths, The Cure, Sneak Through the Breach, Tin Fins, RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer), BR Reanimator, Aluren (recruiter build), MonoU Omnishow

If counters are a problem you could run 2 boseiju main and 1 in the board plus a third Emrakul in the board like this list: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=90268 . Boseiju->Snt->Emrakul ain't care about counters.

Hello. Not sure if anyone's even paying attention to this thread, but this week I played RG lands. It's a deck that did well at GP Louisville. I went 1-2. Matchups were manaless dredge (2-1), D&T (0-2), and infect (0-2). Feels bad man. Against D&T in game 2 he had an early karakas and followed it up shortly with a rest in peace, I had the dark depths and thespian's stage in play but never drew a ghost quarter OR a wasteland to deal with karakas.
    Against infect, I think I should have mulligan'd my game 2 hand. The hand I kept was wasteland, grove of the burnwillows, punishing fire, maze of ith, wooded foothills, dark depths, barbarian ring, which felt pretty solid at the time.

Side note: I don't own 4 tireless trackers, so I subbed 2 centaur vinecrashers in for them in the sideboard.

4 Gamble
    4 Life from the Loam
    4 Crop Rotation
    2 Punishing Fire
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Exploration
    1 Manabond
    1 Molten Vortex

4 Dark Depths
    4 Ghost Quarter
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Wasteland
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    3 Maze of Ith
    3 Taiga
    1 Ancient Tomb
    1 Barbarian Ring
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Forest
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Windswept Heath
    1 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:

2 Tireless Tracker
    2 Centaur Vinecrasher
    1 Ancient Grudge
    3 Krosan Grip
    1 Kozilek's Return
    1 Pithing Needle
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Molten Vortex

The decks played so far are: High Tide, Food Chain, Doomsday, MUD, Imperial Painter, Hexmage Depths, The Cure, Sneak Through the Breach, Tin Fins, RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer), BR Reanimator, Aluren (recruiter build), MonoU Omnishow, RG lands

That hand seems good to me?

First of all I'd like to everyone who's been Reiding this thread. This week I decided to Duke it out with a list that's recently done pretty well. Losing was starting to BUG me, but I decided it was a more noble goal to press on and continue the weekly variety show. If you haven't caught on yet, the list I played this week was Reid Duke's Noble BUG list. I was very surprised at how much fun I had playing this deck, since I traditionally don't like "play dudes and turn them sideways" type decks. This deck has an answer for everything, and covers the bases very well.

I went 3-0 this week. My matchups were: D&T (2-0); RG lands (2-1); D&T (2-0). This deck apparently has a good matchup vs D&T. Dread of night and pithing needle definitely pulled their weight, and for the first time ever I was very excited to have submerge in the sideboard. Against RG lands I was able to swing with a creature to have my opponent make his 20/20 to block with, submerged the token, then surgical extracted the dark depths. Pithing needle also came in in this matchup and stopped ghost quarter from shutting me out of mana sources. Leovold and True Name Nemesis as my beaters was great, and I did get the fun-of Tarmogoyf vs RG lands in that matchup, and it was able to swing for what would have been lethal if my opponent didn't make a 20/20 (I forced this play because I had Jace and wanted to bounce the token). All in all the deck is very solid and well rounded. Nothing I'd really change about it aside from possibly changing nihil spellbomb to another copy of surgical extraction possibly.

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Tarmogoyf
    4 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest

3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder
    2 Thoughtseize
    3 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    1 Murderous Cut
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sylvan Library

1 Forest
    1 Island
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wasteland

Sideboard

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Thoughtseize
    2 Submerge
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Dread of Night
    1 Painful Truths
    1 Nihil Spellbomb

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0)

Best and worst decks so far?

Also, I notice the Spanish Inquisition is missing:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=14573&d=287393&f=LE

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Alright ladies and gentlemen, I've got a spicy one for you. It's colorless stax, credit to Michael Coyle for the deck list (5th place at an SCG Classic). The only thing I changed from the original list was -1 Buried Ruin, +1 Mishra's Factory (because I could only find 3 buried ruin in my cards somehow), and I swapped a defense grid from the sideboard for a Tabernacle because it seemed like a great fit. Turns out it was. I went 3-0 with the deck this week, but I did split prize for the last round.

The matchups: Esper Deathblade (2-1), BUG Opposition (2-1), Grixis Delver (2-1). The matchups all felt pretty fine. I beat esper deathblade game 1 with the ensnaring bridge + bottled cloister combo eventually getting into crucible + ghost quarter lock. Esper won game 2 because he was able to get two stoneforge mystics in play to get batterskull and jitte, and played a land every turn for 6 turns. Smokestack couldn't lock him out, and he countered my ensnaring bridge both times I tried to cast it (I got it back with a buried ruin to cast it again). I got game 3 with a fairly quick smokestack + crucible lock. The BUG Opposition matchup seemed like it would be pretty bad for me because all of his dudes cantrip. In game 1 I got an early tangle wire down and it slowed him up enough for me to establish bottled cloister + ensnaring bridge. After a few turns of durdling I was able to get a smokestack down and inventor's fair a crucible as well, which locked the game out. In game 2 he got me by basically just overwhelming me with beatdown, eventually getting an opposition and locking me down. I did get ensnaring bridge + cloister in play for a while, but he was able to topdeck an abrupt decay and just bash my face for about 8 with an army of 1/1s (I was at 6 from the previous beating). I split prize with my friend Erik, and we played it out for funsies. Game 1 he got there with an early flipped delver protected with dazes and force of wills for days, as well as bolts for my metalworkers. Game 2 I was able to get down an early trinisphere and establish a crucible lock as well. Game 3, his turn 1 play was volcanic island, delver, go. My turn 1 play was tabernacle, go. His turn 2 play was pay for delver, flip delver, bash for 3, pass. I noticed he didn't make a land drop, so played a wasteland and blew up his volcanic island, causing him to not be able to pay it's upkeep cost on his next turn. He didn't topdeck any lands for a couple of turns, which allowed me to establish a board presence. Tabernacle took another victim in the form of a deathrite shaman, after it subsisted on lands in graveyards for 5 turns. He topdecked an underground sea and cast his gurmag angler by eating his graveyard for delve, but I had been holding another ghost quarter in hand the whole game, so I just played it and blew up his sea, causing Angler to die during his upkeep. There was a scoop shortly after I got a crucible of world's and inventor's fair in play.

All in all, this deck was a lot of fun, but it's very fragile. If your opponent has too fast of a start you just get hosed. If they're playing blue + creatures, a well placed force of will can ruin your day.

4 Metalworker

1 Bottled Cloister
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Crucible Of Worlds
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Ghirapur Orrery
    2 Grim Monolith
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Smokestack
    1 Staff Of Domination
    4 Tangle Wire
    4 Trinisphere

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Buried Ruin
    1 Mishra's Factory
    4 City of Traitors
    3 Ghost Quarter
    4 Wasteland
    1 Gemstone Caverns
    1 Gods' Eye, Gate to the Reikai
    4 Inventors' Fair

Sideboard

1 Bottled Cloister
    2 Defense Grid
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Grafdigger's Cage
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0)

Best and worst decks so far?
    Worst deck so far: That 6 recruiter Aluren deck. It was just way too slow, and the redundancy of extra recruiters really didn't help the consistency, since I was still reliant on a 4 cmc enchantment. I also loathed playing the sneak through the breach deck. I thought it would play similarly to MUD in that it was a sort of prison deck with a combo finish, but the combo pieces do nothing by themselves (sneak attack/through the breach and creatures), and the combo doesn't even necessarily guarantee killing the opponent either. If there was some card advantage in the deck it would have felt better probably, but there's nothing red has to offer that works with sneak attack.

Best deck so far: In terms of greatness against the field, probably Noble BUG. In terms of my familiarity and style of deck, I'm always going to say MUD. Hexmage depths is an honorable mention, since it's pretty fun (winning with sejiri steppe is amusing), really fast (turn 1 make a 20/20 is good), and has a good matchup against quite a bit of the field.

I know you didn't ask, but I'll also say some changes I'd make if I were to try some of the decks again.
    RUG Ascension: Fit 4 force of will into the main deck.
    Aluren: Try out the zero recruiters build that runs 4 glint-nest crane (I will run this at some point, since it's at least 15 cards different from the build I ran)
    Colorless Stax: -2 Mindbreak Trap in the sideboard, +2 something else. I'm not sure what the deck really needs, but I feel like it's covered vs storm/belcher decks with the trinispheres and chalices. I'd probably try either warping wail or another ghirapur orrery maybe.
    Doomsday: Maybe try the transformative sideboard build. I know I didn't post the decklist I played, but my friend Paul has a sweet list that has 4 monastery mentor in the sideboard. (He is @Namida on here.)

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Please help me here; how does that deck work?
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    Please help me here; how does that deck work?
    You have 2 routes, both involve Ad Nauseam. You cast Ad Nauseam and roughly draw your whole deck since the majority of it are 0s. Then you cast all your 0 mana artifacts and try to Grapeshot your opponent to death. The other route is finding a Cunning Wish, getting your Lightning Storm and then activating it to kill your opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    You have 2 routes, both involve Ad Nauseam. You cast Ad Nauseam and roughly draw your whole deck since the majority of it are 0s. Then you cast all your 0 mana artifacts and try to Grapeshot your opponent to death. The other route is finding a Cunning Wish, getting your Lightning Storm and then activating it to kill your opponent.
    Don't forget thespian stage+dark depths!

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Don't forget thespian stage+dark depths!
    I didn't even see that he was running the depths combo. I guess that makes 3 ways to win.

Thread Information