Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SLOW PLAY - Why I stood up & left the table

Re: SLOW PLAY - Why I stood up & left the table

The reactions to the chalice question confirm my belief that only about 10% of the people here play paper magic at CREL.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    So in the case of the Chalice, what am I to do? Do I put my spell on the stack and stare at my opponent's face until he either responds or time expires?
    I just say "resolves?". That makes it clear to both you and your opponent that there was a spell on the stack and either it resolves or doesn't.

The whole missed trigger thing for chalice is a giant CF. I wish that they would have an exception in the missed trigger policy specially for chalice. I had a tournament a while back where I tried to resolve a key spell under a chalice, my opponent motioned that it had resolved (but didn't explicitly say resolved or not resolved) like he had been doing previously and as I was going to resolve the spell he pointed to his chalice and said countered. I appealed to the HJ but the HJ said that the spell had been countered and my opponent's motions that he had been making previously throughout our games weren't a valid indicator that a spell had resolved or not.

You should always pass priority/ask to resolve a spell/ability/activation! So I don't see a problem with chalice and you casting a spell into it. YOU JUST ASK IF IT RESOLVES. If the chalice player acknowledges the spell to resolve then he fogot the trigger and spell resolves. If palyer points out to the chalice trigger then it doesn't resolve. Is that so hard??? Rules are very clear on passing priorities. It should be communicated between players!

FFS people, stop angleshooting and trying to squeeze questionable mind tricks..

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    No. You can cast into a Chalice, its on the controller to remember the trigger.
    possibly my least favorite rule in the game.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

It's not like anyone likes the current trigger policy. But it's also not like anyone has every really suggested a better way to handle these things. Remember the Kibler situation in the QF of the PT he won? I'm pretty sure that was the point WotC decided they needed to do something about the (old) trigger policy.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    Mine is that some rulings are left to a Judge's feeling on a topic. Like Slow play for example, but it is not the only one. Hey look, we are on topic.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Working around Slow Play isn't something you ever normally practice.

If you are playtesting, you generally don't have any relevant clock, and could even be working with your friend to evaluate lines of play.
    At a casual setting (personally I'm thinking about trying to be better at this at weekly FNM), you don't want to come across negatively.

I'm not too sure how I even get faster at playing my own deck. I know experience and time will help, but that's pretty vague. Maybe as prep for Louisville in the next month and a half, I'll see if I can sit down with a friend and actually try to limit all decisions to 20-30 seconds. The idea of "you have two options here but the time to evaluate the much more complicated option #2 means that you need to err on the side of option #1" isn't ever discussed. At the same time, I don't want to breed short/easy to think of lines of play into my playstyle

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

don't you get a grv for intentionally allowing a missed trigger?
    Only if it's your own trigger. If you miss your own Chalice triggers on purpose then it's cheating; if your opponent misses one then it's on him/her.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

This wouldn't be a problem if people would stop playing stupid slow boring decks and just play Zoo like Hanuman intended. All you have to decide is what kind of liquor you're going to have in all your copious free time between rounds. Plus after turn 4 your hand is empty so you can eat snacks. Nothing like a nice mid-match frito pie.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

I am curious. If the slow play rule implies that we should all play relatively fast, even if there is plenty of time left in the round, and even during the final turns of the final game, when is it acceptable to 'tank' or just think a little longer than usual, if ever?

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    The reactions to the chalice question confirm my belief that only about 10% of the people here play paper magic at CREL.
    I half agree. I *really* despised that rules change because I'm sportsmanlike I guess. It bugs me that a non-choice effect that *has* to happen can be missed in paper magic.

I guess it bugs me as a CS/Math nerd, since it is a contradiction. [It says you can't do a thing, but you can actually do a thing if you're opp is bad.]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Jun 2009
    Detroit, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    This wouldn't be a problem if people would stop playing stupid slow boring decks and just play Zoo like Hanuman intended. All you have to decide is what kind of liquor you're going to have in all your copious free time between rounds. Plus after turn 4 your hand is empty so you can eat snacks. Nothing like a nice mid-match frito pie.
    Don't forget your pocket chocolates.

WTF are you talking about? You didnt even know the rule until this page of this thread?!!?!

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I attack for 5. Bloodrush my guy, trample and kill your Goyf. Go.
    Opponent: Cards in hand?
    Me: *fritos flying out of my mouth* ppfffnee.
    OP: What?
    Me: Waves empty greasy hands showing nothing.
    OP: Okay, Untap terminus.
    Me: Thuck you.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I loled at the arvil larvin Belcher pic!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

@Mega

I enjoy this post soooo much
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerLewis View Post
    Although since Chalice is a mandatory trigger, even if the opponent misses it, you're obligated to remind him of it, so I'm not really sure what gain there'd be to expect.
    don't you get a grv for intentionally allowing a missed trigger?
    Please, stop spreading misinformation. The rules were changed quite some time ago.

Huh? Didn't you just not know how it worked?

A missed trigger is exactly that, a missed trigger. If you miss a trigger and call a judge, it becomes your opponents choice if he wants to put the trigger on the stack or not- for example, I play rest in peace, say nothing, and pass. Next turn I say "oh, my RIP". Judge will come explain I missed my trigger. My opponent can decide if we put the trigger on the stack or not. This is to distinguish between beneficial and detrimental triggers. Another example, I am at low life with a dark confidant. I can "miss" it, but its up to my opponent if it benefits me or not (aka, whether we resolve the trigger or not). Although, I don't advise you do something like this, since it would be considered cheating to intentionally miss a dark confidant trigger at low life.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Honestly, I'd play that Hiddon Gibbons (sp) deck sometimes if Eldrazi weren't a thing. Maybe they'll make a mistake print a GR Instant "draw cards equal to target creature you control power, then sacrifice that creature."

I really think an instant-speed Duress would make Junk/Jund a lot better. Being able to react to DRits and what not would be enough to make them doable against those players. That by itself could change the format.

I realize I am now 300% off topic. So.. uh..

Slow play is all dumb n stuf yeh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Don't forget your pocket chocolates.
    Chocolates go in the pants pockets for softening between games (you can lick the wrapper clean in response to a spell to simulate playing a shitty deck). Up front you go with the shirt pocket sausages for vital protein without getting your hands greasy (let the shirt do the work).

I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miagi View Post
    You should always pass priority/ask to resolve a spell/ability/activation! So I don't see a problem with chalice and you casting a spell into it. YOU JUST ASK IF IT RESOLVES. If the chalice player acknowledges the spell to resolve then he fogot the trigger and spell resolves. If palyer points out to the chalice trigger then it doesn't resolve. Is that so hard??? Rules are very clear on passing priorities. It should be communicated between players!

FFS people, stop angleshooting and trying to squeeze questionable mind tricks..
    Passing priority is something that happens implicitly when you put something on the stack. Official tournament shortcut, so in theory it is up to the opponent to respond in a timely manner ("ok"/"in response..."). Of course, if he takes his time, absolutely go for it and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Most of the magic players aren't good with rules.

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    I half agree. I *really* despised that rules change because I'm sportsmanlike I guess. It bugs me that a non-choice effect that *has* to happen can be missed in paper magic.

I guess it bugs me as a CS/Math nerd, since it is a contradiction. [It says you can't do a thing, but you can actually do a thing if you're opp is bad.]
    To me, remembering your stuff and having the game state in mind is something I would classify as "skill", so I don't think it's bad to punish people for this kind of sloppy plays.

Thread Information