Thread: Undefeated in Swiss. Made into Swiss in Top 8

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Undefeated in Swiss. Made into Swiss in Top 8

I played in the Giga-Bytes quarterly event for a Mox Jet this past weekend. Brendan Hagan aka bmjhagan aka SeemsGood of Team Tusk crashed at my place for the weekend. I decided to play Dark Maverick aka Thalia, Lady of the Night for the weekend. The list as follows:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Mother of Runes
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

4 Swords to Plawshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    2 Abrupt Decay

4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    4 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Rogue's Passage
    1 Dryad Arbor

SB:
    2 Blessed Alliance
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Sword of Fire of Ice
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Krosan Grip
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Zealous Persecution

I think that's the list. Batterskull isn't generally there in Maverick builds, but Jon convinced me to play it over the SoFaI in the main board due to the presence of Eldrazi.

Round 1: Eldrazi
    I'm pretty confident on this match up in general. I can lose to the nut curve draw, but I can beat most hands. Didn't hurt he never found a chalice.
    Game 1: I think he thought knots me with a mimic and gets me kind of low, but I get a Knight going pretty quickly, and at some point get Knight as an 8/8 with a Batterskull attacking into his board of 7 power and wastelanding him. Game was quickly conceded from there.
    Game 2: He stumbles a bit, I green sun for a deathrite shaman just to get a bit of a mana boost, then I get loam going and lock him out with Loam and Knight.
    Scooze is also a solid guy to gain me a few life as well as profitably block their bigger things. This match up I have found dudes tend to die fairly often in combat so Ooze tends to have enough food at least to get to a 5/5. My opponents face when I followed up my first ooze after a dismember with a Green Sun for a second was pretty sick.

1-0

Round 2: BUG Delver
    Game 1: I think he's on Shardless so I'm wasting and hitting his deathrites to keep him off of mana, but at some point he pitches Spell Snare to force and I figure it out. I stabilize fairly well and take over the game once I realize I don't need to play around Deluge or anything like that.
    Game 2: He seizes me and has a flipped delver on turn 2. Eventually I wear him down. I rip an STP for his only Goyf, and flash in scryb ranger to block delver while he's hellbent and feel pretty good. Unfortunately he rips decay and Delver kills me. Rough to lose to a turn 2 flipped delver singlehandedly.
    Game 3: I get a good board presence and we trade blow for blow, but at some point I get Mom online and she really takes over. He shows me all of the removal he brought in and I sigh in exasperation that he drew a minimal amount of brainstorms.

2-0

Round 3: Deadguy
    We get repaired I believe at some point so I thought I was going to play against Jund. I think I'd rather play against Deadguy though.
    Game 1: He hymns me and gets a Liliana, but I eot fetch a dryad arbor to kill liliana and stick some threats and he runs out of gas.
    Game 2: Similar thing. I just stick good threats and run him out of removal. I think at one point I'm stuck on one land and a deathrite with no lands to eat, but I eventually find lands to play all the gas in my hand and take over.

3-0

Round 4: Stoneblade
    Our matches were on camera and may get posted at some point.
    Game 1: I play super sloppy. I have turn 2 sylvan library and I forget to use it the first turn it's out. He gets a batterskull at some point, but I immediately find SFM for Jitte to put on my Thalia and make blocking really awkward for him. Of course he doesnt black the first time and I forget Jitte triggers. I end up grinding him down at some point and sneak away with the game despite the multitude of misplays.
    Game 2: He gets a good start, has the right spells, and I have a tough turn to try to stabilize but end up just short on mana despite having Cradle access and such.
    Game 3: As he's shuffling I notice I can see through one of his sleeves, so I call a judge over and request that we change the sleeve before game 3. The judge declares that since it was marked cards it was a game loss. I figured since the game hadn't begun that it was okay, but apparently it wasn't so he gets a game loss and I win the match. It ended up being a price sticker on a tight fit he apparently picked up from his desk to sleeve a ponder in. Pretty shitty way to have a game 3 on camera.

4-0

Round 5: Eldrazi
    Same guy ended up in the top 8 and winning the whole event.
    Game 1: I'm on the draw and keep a weird hand of double wasteland and some stuff. He plays an ancient tomb and passes. I waste. He plays an Eye of Ugin and an Endless One for 2. I waste. I think he plays a wasteland and passes. I get a deathrite out and he misses a land drop. I run away with it after that.
    Game 2: I don't remember exactly what happened, but I think he gets a solid draw including much removal and runs me over with a turn 2 Thoughtknot.
    Game 3: This one goes long. I don't remember specifics, but it's a slow grind, but I think I get a knight with some other stuff going and he gets an Oblivion Sower. My Thalia, Heretic Cathar though is really slowing him down and on his last turn he was 1 mana short of searching for and casting Newlamog with his eye of ugin.

5-0

Round 6: Death and Taxes
    Unfortunately I'm the only undefeated in a 7 round tourney so my opponent is unable to draw with me.
    Game 1: This one goes long. He gets Thalia,s going with a Jitte, but I find a Green Sun. I get my Thalia going too. I think a key turn ended up being a turn after I found Jitte he taps out, I search for cradle with Knight, untap, cast and equip jitte which saves me and eventually despite him having Flickerwisps and stuff hitting me, I am able to simply attach batterskull over and over again to guys and stabilize on life. I played super sloppy and kept forgetting Thalia's enter the battlefield tapped clause. It was a long day.
    Game 2: There's maybe 18 minutes left on the clock and he points that out so we go into turbo speed. He wins it in about 10 minutes. It was all kind of a blur, but he got moms going.
    Game 3: about 8 minutes left in the round and I'm on the play. He mulls to 6. I answer his Turn 1 Mom, he gets a stoneforge, but I kill it and wasteland him and he doesnt ever find a 2nd land until it's far too late while we're playing at an incredibly quick pace.

6-0

Round 7 ID

6-0-1. At this point I'm starving and my buddy Mike is having a barbeque. He watches my on camera match and says I'm a cheater scumbag (because of course he does). I have beer in the car and I really honestly thought I'd lose early so I could go get drunk. I go into the top 8 pretty apathetic about the whole thing and am ready to leave.

Top 8 Miracles. Great. I hate this deck and I'm simply tired of it at this point, but I figure I need to refocus and try hard even though I really stopped caring at this point.
    Game 1: I have a very good hand with multiple pridemages, decays and stuff. I get my mana dork instant speed 1 mana wrathed because derp and like an idiot I wasted my decay on a counterbalance that doesnt matter. He had fetched a basic mountain so I suspected a blood moon, but I didn't play around it like and Ape. He has it. I die.
    Game 2: I surgical his Terminus's after his first one. He cast a brainstorm and in response i surgical. Got one from his hand too. Sick. He still somehow draws 3 plows + snapcasters, and at one point I Green Sun for 2 and like an idiot get pridemage. Should've been a Scooze to shut off his snapcasters. I am an ape. I am somehow 6-0-1. I still end up simply running him out of answers while I'm drawing hot. I think at one point I Green Sun for X=6 just because I know there's no way he has a 7 in his deck with CB.
    Game 3: I have a scrubland, deathrite and stuff. My hand is pretty damn good, and I'm actually somewhat confident. Unfortunately he has his 1 mana instand speed derp skill game wrath and I dont have a green source. I never draw one. I get a Thalia down and he activates his top when I go to attack even though the game is somewhat at parity. before he even casts terminus I say fuck it, scoop up my cards like a pile of salt and leave. I'm just tired of the deck at this point and don't even care to play against it. I take my force of will I won and go get drunk, eat meat, and watch the fights.

Overall it was a good day. The deck is very good in the meta at least. There was very little combo and I tuned my deck for fair metagame. It worked out. I have since added 2 chokes to the sideboard, so now I can lose to miracles despite resolving a choke. Hooray magic. Tusk Up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Re: Undefeated in Swiss. Made into Swiss in Top 8

What's your sideboard plan for the Miracles matchup?

How has Blessed Alliance performed?

Nice run. Sucked we couldn't draw, but I had drawn vs gobbos the round before. Glad you beat me. Sorry I played sloppy AF, but it's usually because we're having a good time. I too remember very little about our g2 and g3.

Maybe I'm a sadist, but I enjoy the miracles matchup w/ D&T. Maybe it's time to return to vial maverick, run recruiter over GSZ. It get's knight and doesn't get stopped by teeg. I got eldrazi'd on camera in the semis.

Qs:
    How has Scryb Ranger been?
    Why the Grip in the board? Seems like overkill w/ 2 pridemage and 3 decay.
    Do you like blessed alliance? I meant to try it this weekend but forgot.

-Justin

PS. Is it just me, or is like our meta all tribal/creature decks? Why isn't someone with belcher just fucking people up?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I'm still figuring out the miracle plan. The past event I was bringing in decay, grip, needle, SoFaI, and surgical. Bringing out new Thalia's, I think a jitte, and a couple STP.

Yeah Justin we both played pretty badly at times in that match. I think I equipped batterskull to thalia when you had a karakas up. So bad.

Scryb Ranger is a pretty solid guy to just randomly have. Grip is basically strictly for miracles, but kind of last second put it in. Probably better off as like Garruk or maybe a second needle.

Blessed alliance was more me thinking they're would be more true name. I've been sodomized by that piece of shit too many times. I also like it as removal against eldrazi that doesn't target. But I didn't board it in too much. Probably will replace it with choke. It's pretty solid against burn I guess too. Idk. It's a bit limited

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

awesome
    Tusk Up

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Nice run! Always good to see Maverick do well. Was Rogue's Passage ever relevant?

Also, sig'd.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

It not making colored mana was relevant in my miracles match when I ended the game with Plains, Scrubland, Wasteland, Passage, and green cards in hand.

But for real. I think I activated it once in the tourney against my first eldrazi opponent. But it's definitely won me games in the past. It's like the decks that play dark depths and stage, but passage instead just makes my 10/10 knight unblockable and I kill them. I even won a game in the past when I had Teeg out, my opponent reanimated Iona and went to 2 and I top decked passage to make teeg unblockable and killed him

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I'm still figuring out the miracle plan.
    Everyone with every deck ever

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

It not making colored mana was relevant in my miracles match when I ended the game with Plains, Scrubland, Wasteland, Passage, and green cards in hand.

But for real. I think I activated it once in the tourney against my first eldrazi opponent. But it's definitely won me games in the past. It's like the decks that play dark depths and stage, but passage instead just makes my 10/10 knight unblockable and I kill them. I even won a game in the past when I had Teeg out, my opponent reanimated Iona and went to 2 and I top decked passage to make teeg unblockable and killed him
    beware bog
    Tusk Up

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

See if you'd just played a Thornscape Apprentice you could've definitely solved that miracles match.

I am an ape. I am somehow 6-0-1. I'm drawing hot.
    Whelp ;)

Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Tusk up. The blade will come for vengeance over SleeveGate.

I played in the Giga-Bytes quarterly event for a Mox Jet this past weekend. Brendan Hagan aka bmjhagan aka SeemsGood of Team Tusk crashed at my place for the weekend. I decided to play Dark Maverick aka Thalia, Lady of the Night for the weekend. The list as follows:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Mother of Runes
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

4 Swords to Plawshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    2 Abrupt Decay

4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    4 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Rogue's Passage
    1 Dryad Arbor

SB:
    2 Blessed Alliance
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Sword of Fire of Ice
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Krosan Grip
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Zealous Persecution

I think that's the list. Batterskull isn't generally there in Maverick builds, but Jon convinced me to play it over the SoFaI in the main board due to the presence of Eldrazi.

Round 1: Eldrazi
    I'm pretty confident on this match up in general. I can lose to the nut curve draw, but I can beat most hands. Didn't hurt he never found a chalice.
    Game 1: I think he thought knots me with a mimic and gets me kind of low, but I get a Knight going pretty quickly, and at some point get Knight as an 8/8 with a Batterskull attacking into his board of 7 power and wastelanding him. Game was quickly conceded from there.
    Game 2: He stumbles a bit, I green sun for a deathrite shaman just to get a bit of a mana boost, then I get loam going and lock him out with Loam and Knight.
    Scooze is also a solid guy to gain me a few life as well as profitably block their bigger things. This match up I have found dudes tend to die fairly often in combat so Ooze tends to have enough food at least to get to a 5/5. My opponents face when I followed up my first ooze after a dismember with a Green Sun for a second was pretty sick.

1-0

Round 2: BUG Delver
    Game 1: I think he's on Shardless so I'm wasting and hitting his deathrites to keep him off of mana, but at some point he pitches Spell Snare to force and I figure it out. I stabilize fairly well and take over the game once I realize I don't need to play around Deluge or anything like that.
    Game 2: He seizes me and has a flipped delver on turn 2. Eventually I wear him down. I rip an STP for his only Goyf, and flash in scryb ranger to block delver while he's hellbent and feel pretty good. Unfortunately he rips decay and Delver kills me. Rough to lose to a turn 2 flipped delver singlehandedly.
    Game 3: I get a good board presence and we trade blow for blow, but at some point I get Mom online and she really takes over. He shows me all of the removal he brought in and I sigh in exasperation that he drew a minimal amount of brainstorms.

2-0

Round 3: Deadguy
    We get repaired I believe at some point so I thought I was going to play against Jund. I think I'd rather play against Deadguy though.
    Game 1: He hymns me and gets a Liliana, but I eot fetch a dryad arbor to kill liliana and stick some threats and he runs out of gas.
    Game 2: Similar thing. I just stick good threats and run him out of removal. I think at one point I'm stuck on one land and a deathrite with no lands to eat, but I eventually find lands to play all the gas in my hand and take over.

3-0

Round 4: Stoneblade
    Our matches were on camera and may get posted at some point.
    Game 1: I play super sloppy. I have turn 2 sylvan library and I forget to use it the first turn it's out. He gets a batterskull at some point, but I immediately find SFM for Jitte to put on my Thalia and make blocking really awkward for him. Of course he doesnt black the first time and I forget Jitte triggers. I end up grinding him down at some point and sneak away with the game despite the multitude of misplays.
    Game 2: He gets a good start, has the right spells, and I have a tough turn to try to stabilize but end up just short on mana despite having Cradle access and such.
    Game 3: As he's shuffling I notice I can see through one of his sleeves, so I call a judge over and request that we change the sleeve before game 3. The judge declares that since it was marked cards it was a game loss. I figured since the game hadn't begun that it was okay, but apparently it wasn't so he gets a game loss and I win the match. It ended up being a price sticker on a tight fit he apparently picked up from his desk to sleeve a ponder in. Pretty shitty way to have a game 3 on camera.

4-0

Round 5: Eldrazi
    Same guy ended up in the top 8 and winning the whole event.
    Game 1: I'm on the draw and keep a weird hand of double wasteland and some stuff. He plays an ancient tomb and passes. I waste. He plays an Eye of Ugin and an Endless One for 2. I waste. I think he plays a wasteland and passes. I get a deathrite out and he misses a land drop. I run away with it after that.
    Game 2: I don't remember exactly what happened, but I think he gets a solid draw including much removal and runs me over with a turn 2 Thoughtknot.
    Game 3: This one goes long. I don't remember specifics, but it's a slow grind, but I think I get a knight with some other stuff going and he gets an Oblivion Sower. My Thalia, Heretic Cathar though is really slowing him down and on his last turn he was 1 mana short of searching for and casting Newlamog with his eye of ugin.

5-0

Round 6: Death and Taxes
    Unfortunately I'm the only undefeated in a 7 round tourney so my opponent is unable to draw with me.
    Game 1: This one goes long. He gets Thalia,s going with a Jitte, but I find a Green Sun. I get my Thalia going too. I think a key turn ended up being a turn after I found Jitte he taps out, I search for cradle with Knight, untap, cast and equip jitte which saves me and eventually despite him having Flickerwisps and stuff hitting me, I am able to simply attach batterskull over and over again to guys and stabilize on life. I played super sloppy and kept forgetting Thalia's enter the battlefield tapped clause. It was a long day.
    Game 2: There's maybe 18 minutes left on the clock and he points that out so we go into turbo speed. He wins it in about 10 minutes. It was all kind of a blur, but he got moms going.
    Game 3: about 8 minutes left in the round and I'm on the play. He mulls to 6. I answer his Turn 1 Mom, he gets a stoneforge, but I kill it and wasteland him and he doesnt ever find a 2nd land until it's far too late while we're playing at an incredibly quick pace.

6-0

Round 7 ID

6-0-1. At this point I'm starving and my buddy Mike is having a barbeque. He watches my on camera match and says I'm a cheater scumbag (because of course he does). I have beer in the car and I really honestly thought I'd lose early so I could go get drunk. I go into the top 8 pretty apathetic about the whole thing and am ready to leave.

Top 8 Miracles. Great. I hate this deck and I'm simply tired of it at this point, but I figure I need to refocus and try hard even though I really stopped caring at this point.
    Game 1: I have a very good hand with multiple pridemages, decays and stuff. I get my mana dork instant speed 1 mana wrathed because derp and like an idiot I wasted my decay on a counterbalance that doesnt matter. He had fetched a basic mountain so I suspected a blood moon, but I didn't play around it like and Ape. He has it. I die.
    Game 2: I surgical his Terminus's after his first one. He cast a brainstorm and in response i surgical. Got one from his hand too. Sick. He still somehow draws 3 plows + snapcasters, and at one point I Green Sun for 2 and like an idiot get pridemage. Should've been a Scooze to shut off his snapcasters. I am an ape. I am somehow 6-0-1. I still end up simply running him out of answers while I'm drawing hot. I think at one point I Green Sun for X=6 just because I know there's no way he has a 7 in his deck with CB.
    Game 3: I have a scrubland, deathrite and stuff. My hand is pretty damn good, and I'm actually somewhat confident. Unfortunately he has his 1 mana instand speed derp skill game wrath and I dont have a green source. I never draw one. I get a Thalia down and he activates his top when I go to attack even though the game is somewhat at parity. before he even casts terminus I say fuck it, scoop up my cards like a pile of salt and leave. I'm just tired of the deck at this point and don't even care to play against it. I take my force of will I won and go get drunk, eat meat, and watch the fights.

Overall it was a good day. The deck is very good in the meta at least. There was very little combo and I tuned my deck for fair metagame. It worked out. I have since added 2 chokes to the sideboard, so now I can lose to miracles despite resolving a choke. Hooray magic. Tusk Up.
    Hey, I'm new to Maverick, what matchups does life from the loam come in for?

Also, did you intend to play 61 cards?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by jwl3gg View Post
    Hey, I'm new to Maverick, what matchups does life from the loam come in for?
    I bring it in basically where wasteland is good. Eldrazi, BGx decks sometimes, Delver stuff like that. Basically any match up where wasting my opponent out of the game is a reasonable plan.

As for 61, yes. Unless I'm playing combo I always play 61. My first cut would probably be Garruk though if I were to go to 60

Awesome, thanks!

Thread Information