Thread: Tweaking Tier Legacy decks for multiplayer !

Tweaking Tier Legacy decks for multiplayer !

Hi all,

I have a bunch of decks (typically current or former Legacy archetypes) that I want to tweak for multiplayer (mainly 2HG or 3HG). In effect, I want to be able to easily switch back and forth between their original 1vs1 and their multiplayer versions, so I'm mainly looking for cards that fit these decks, and scale particularly well / are bombs in multiplayer. Here is what i came up with for the few decks I'm looking at :

Burn :
    Fiery Confluence
    Chandra, Torch of Defiance

These two are simply huge bombs in 2/3HG. They're a bit more expensive than Burn would usually play on 1vs1, but here we typically have a bit more time.
    I've explicitly not listed Eidolon (still a horrible topdeck, CC 3 or less is less common in these formats , and it's symetrical (if I play Burn my team would be the most affected...)).

Death & Taxes :
    Serra Ascendant
    Custodi Soulcaller

I believe Serra Ascendant starts to be barely playable in 2HG (you do start at 30, but you still have to hope you'll have it in opening hand and that it'll able to connect once as a 6/6), but in 3HG (starting at 40 life) it's now clearly awesome. Still, it's a card that's only good when you're in (very) good shape and thus a horrible topdeck, which is not exactly what you're usually after, so I'm not really sure about this one even in 3HG.
    Custodi Soulcaller : okay/good in 2HG, very good in 3HG (in 3HG CS can return any creature played in D&T).

All in all I have not had any awesome obvious ideas for this deck. Additionally, D&T is always a very tight decklist, so it won't be easy to find what to cut. Thalia, Guardian of Thraben could be cut to a 1-of (also affects your teammates, and the multiplayer metagame is usually less affected by it anyway)

Goblins :
    Taurean Mauler (jk)
    I have no idea for this deck. Except tweaking some numbers, like more Goblin Chieftains, as Goblins really suffers from their small size in multiplayer. Also, more Krenko.

Miracles, MUC :
    Aetherize
    Consecrated Sphinx
    Rhystic Study

Aetherize is more interesting for MUC, as Miracles already packs mass removal. Although since it's asymetrical it's surely worthy of testing in both cases. It might not be that good though, as it's more situational than one might think (it doesn't help on a stalled board) .
    Consecrated Sphinx seems like an excellent finisher for MUC. Miracles has a signifcantly lower mana count so maybe not.
    Rhystic study would replace Counterbalance in Miracles (CB is far less effective in a world where CCs are much less clamped at 1-2-3 and actually go all over the place). In MUC, it could replace either Back to Basics (depending on the group) or Ancestral Vision.

Turbo Eldrazi :
    Expropriate
    Rite of Replication
    Expropriate in particular is absolutely bombastic in 2/3HG. Since the deck is designed to cast such high costing spells, seems like a perfect fit.

Do you have other suggestions for these decks ?
    Last edited by ParkerLewis; 11-27-2016 at 03:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    140x Relentless Rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bleiweiss
    I wish that Wizards would have just gone ahead and done away with the Reserved List entirely. It is nothing but a blight on the game and one that long outlived its purpose. [...] I am wholeheartedly in favor of getting rid of the Reserved List and reprinting higher-dollar staple cards from EDH and Legacy. Pete Hoefling the owner of StarCityGames.com agrees with my point of view as well.
    - Ben Bleiweiss, SCG General Manager, Feb 2010

Thread Information