Thread: 133rd @ GP Chiba w/ Turbo Depths (11-4, No Byes)

133rd @ GP Chiba w/ Turbo Depths (11-4, No Byes)

GP Chiba Report – 133rd w/ Turbo Depths (11-4, No Byes)

First of all the event was an amazing success and Wizards is out of its mind not hosting an Asian legacy GP next year. Special shoutout to you Sourcers/redditors for making the event more enjoyable, particularly the Dark Depths thread.

Second, as for the deck, it felt incredibly strong despite only getting 2 rounds vs positive matchups. T2 Marit Lage with Discard/Not of this World is just super strong despite the lack of blue card filtering.

Third, this report is an example of why tilting is the enemy of good play. Even prior to the GP I got 2nd place in THREE GPTs and started this GP on an extremely sour note (tldr T1 Blood Moon) but still managed to salvage the weekend through tight, emotionless play. Take a breather, do some pushups, drink some water, and chill between rounds. Works wonders.

Maindeck

* 3 Blooming Marsh
    * 1 Snow-Covered Swmap
    * 1 Snow-Covered Forest
    * 1 Bayou
    * 2 Verdant Catacombs
    * 4 Thespian Stage
    * 4 Urborg, Tomb to Yawgmoth
    * 4 Dark Depths
    * 1 Sejiri Steppe
    * 1 Bojuka Bog
    * 1 Ghost Quarter
    * 4 Sylvan SCrying
    * 3 Into the North
    * 1 Sylvan Library
    * 4 Duress
    * 4 Thoughtseize
    * 4 Lotus Petal
    * 4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    * 2 Not of this world
    * 3 Pithing Needle
    * 4 Crop Rotation
    * 4 Vampire HExmage

Sideboard

* 4 Sphere of Resistance
    * 3 Surgical Extraction
    * 1 Karakas
    * 1 Crucible of Worlds
    * 1 Not of This World
    * 3 Abrupt Decay
    * 1 Toxic Deluge
    * 1 Pithing Needle

Day 1

Round 1: 12 Post (2-0)

Game 1: I win the roll, tseize his crop rotation, pithing needle his candelabra, then get him with turn 3 natural marit lage
    Game 2: He has the mother of explosive starts with post-vesuva-post turn 3 twin candelabra, sundering titan. Problem for him was I went +ESG, Tap Depths + Urborg for 2, crop rotate for stage GG.

Round 2: Mono red Blood moon (0-2)

Game 1: I lose the roll and my opponent goes ancient tomb, mox (SSG), blood moon into T2 Chandra. I play it out to see what he is on and its the mother of all jank. 4/2 haster FRF mythic, avalanche riders, crystal vein instead of traitors eww.
    Game 2: MORE OF THE SAME, except this time he goes T1 moon into T2 avalancer riders my forest, T3 Stormbreath Dragon

Round 3: Merfolk (2-0)

Game 1: He wins the draw and plays a vial, but T1 needle into T2 petal+ESG+depths+stage is vicious
    Game 2: Another aggressive urborg -> Tsieze your submerge + ESG needle wasteland (he had 2) gives me the time for turn 4 natural depths.

Round 4: Shardless – Mr. Alexander from Australia (1-2)

Game 1: I duress into T2 hexmage and get there
    Game 2: I misplay badly when I crop rotate my only green source for a turn 2 marit lage while playing submerge. Unfortunately my opponent has this thing called diabolic edict. About 5 turns later I make another marit lage, but he has a delver to chump since I can’t cast my crop rotation in hand, then he gets me with deathrite activations
    Game 3: Long drawn out game where I make a slight misplay vs diabolic edict + abrupt decay due to being tried. The situation is I have an untapped dark depths + stage w/ no fast mana, a hardcast elvish spirit guide and a hexmage w/ a dark depths in hand. IF I had used my first depths to cast spirit guide, then played my second one, I would’ve had enough mana to lose my hexmage to an abrupt decay, then sacrifice my ESG to the diabolic edict. Unfortunately I fuck up and lose.

Round 5: Omnitell – Mario from the Chicago (2-0)

Game 1: I jam a Turn 4 Marit Lage after ripping his hand to shreds with discard spells
    Game 2: Pretty drawn out affair where I aggressively discard his Show and Tell targets. At one point he intuitions for his final 3 show and tells, but I use duress + crop rotation shenanigans to get him

Round 6: Miracles (2-1)

Game 1: This is the fastest miracles player I have ever seen. The speed with which he toped was something to behold. Anyways, I end up going to SIXTY life after jamming two marit lages, but he eventually entreats for 6 and gets me.
    Game 2: I T1 duress -> Surgical STP, Turn 2 Marit Lage.
    Game 3: Pretty salty for him. At one point he has a karakas, 2 tundras and 1 plains and 1 island w/ Vendilion Clique, STP, and one unknown card in hand (I had surgicalled his tops). I eot crop rotate for a ghost quarter, blow up his karakas, make marit lage, not of this world his STP, then on my upkeep he attempts to venser, but crop rotation #2 gets me the sejiri steppe necessary to one shot him. Guy was stunned

Round 7: Stoneblade (2-0)

Game 1: Win the roll and opponent discards to 5. I Tsieze his swords, needle his mystic, then into the north -> depths for a t4 marit w/ not of this world backp
    Game 2: Keep an ultra aggressive hand with double petal, rotation, hexmage, and bayou. I use my drawn tseize to rip his force, then I jam a t2 hexmage into depths.

Round 8: Miracles (2-0)

Game 1: I win the roll and triple tsieze him. Around t6 he has a top with Jace, but I managed to sneak a crop rotation into eot marit into play. He tops, doesn’t find an STP or terminus and I get there.
    Game 2: Pretty vicious. I duress his terminus, surgical it, then t2 duress his brainstorms, then surgical them as well. He attempts to jam a counterbalance, but I eot decay it then drop a needle on top. Around turn 7-8 he jams an ensnaring bridge with no cards in hand, but I EOT marit, then decay his bridge for the win.

Round 9: Grixis delver (1-2)

Game 1: Turn 2 Marit lage with T1 discard is pretty unfair
    Game 2: He lives the dream going t1 delver into t2 daze into t3 stifle your hexmage into t4 bolt deathrite, bolt
    Game 3: I keep a 2x duress, swamp, thespian, dark depths, surgical hand, but I fail to draw a SINGLE mana source for 8 turns. He gets me with two delvers and a deathrite.
    Random notes: Rodrigo Togores has a cool chicken + has a SICK signature (I got my past in flames signed. Don't judge). 10/10 would hang out again. Also felt bad for Mr. Lossett having to take pictures with his fanboys seemingly every round. Leave him alone!!!

Day 2

Round 10: Merfolk (2-0)

Game 1: I win the roll, duress his vial, needle for wasteland, then turn 3 natural depths
    Game 2: He mulls to 5, and starts beating me down with 2x mutavaults and no blue source for ~4 turns. I kept a pretty aggressive blooming marsh + depths + stage hand, but fail to draw any action (keep duressing his forces), until I get a crop rotation on T6, then get him

Round 11: Burn (2-0)

Game 1: This dudes deck was fucking SICK. FULL misprint Guru mountain manabase, fully foiled everything, and alters out the wazoo. After the match he pulls out his 2x2 trade binder which has FOUR beta lotii and multiple copies of each piece of power. Good lord. As for the game, I t2 marit him.
    Game 2: He goes swiftspear -> Spike -> pyrostatic pillar -> Bolt. T3 I bluff not having enough mana to activate depths (depths, stage, blooming marsh), but ESG -> Stage -> Marit Lage during his attack phase for the win.

Round 12: Eldrazi (2-0)

Game 1: G1 he gets chalice on 0-1-2 on the play and gets their with Jitte + TKS
    Game 2: T1 Marit off 2x petal + hexmage + crop rotation -> depths is a hell of a drug
    Game 3: I T1 needle, T2 decay his mimic, then T3 natural depths with the help of ESG mana.

Round 13: Lands (2-0)

Game 1: He mulls to 3, then concedes.
    Game 2: Uneventful first 3 turns with me discarding his gamble. Situation on end of turn 4 is him on taiga, karakas, 2 port, with one unknown card in hand vs me with stage, urborg, forest, marsh, + needle on karakas. I EoT crop rotate into depths -> marit lage, but in response to my stage activation he crop rotates his OWN stage for a marit lage showdown. Unfortunately for him I rip a crop rotation and sejiri steppe right past him. Dude was shocked.

Round 14: Burn (0-2) MTGMintcard pro

Game 1: He wins the roll and gets me with a flurry of bolts + fireblast.
    Game 2: Pretty damn lucky. I’m @ 4 life with 2 spheres of resistance in play and Marit Lage vs him on 2 mountains and a bunch of uncastable 1CMC bolt effects. OFC he rips a fireblast and gets me. Good laughs post game with the MTGmintcard proteam.

Round 15: Burn (2-0)

Game 1: T2 Lage. GG
    Game 2: T1 Duress, T2 Sphere, T3 lage, GG.

Final thoughts: GP Chiba was fucking incredible. Despite starting the event off tired (got in @ 1am) and on the verge of tilting (Losing to random Frontier format rares + blood moon. Really?!?!?!?!), I managed to 11-4 the event, including 5-1 on day 2. WOTC needs to seriously consider adding a legacy GP for asia onto next years slate.

As for changes, I’m leaning towards turning the spheres into chalii after my loss to burn, but more testing is required. Thanks again to everyone, including Rodrigo T., Oliver Polak Rottman, Lee Shi tian, Mr. Lossett and the entire Source/r/MTGlegacy reddit crowd for making it a great event!

Jdmdave out.

Jun 2016
    Eugene, OR

Re: 133rd @ GP Chiba w/ Turbo Depths (11-4, No Byes)

Quote Originally Posted by jdmdave View Post
    GP Chiba Report – 133rd w/ Turbo Depths (11-4, No Byes)

Round 9: Grixis delver (1-2)

Game 1: Turn 2 Marit lage with T1 discard is pretty unfair
    Game 2: He lives the dream going t1 delver into t2 daze into t3 stifle your hexmage into t4 bolt deathrite, bolt
    Game 3: I keep a 2x duress, swamp, thespian, dark depths, surgical hand, but I fail to draw a SINGLE mana source for 8 turns. He gets me with two delvers and a deathrite.
    Random notes: Rodrigo Togores has a cool chicken + has a SICK signature (I got my past in flames signed. Don't judge). 10/10 would hang out again. Also felt bad for Mr. Lossett having to take pictures with his fanboys seemingly every round. Leave him alone!!!

Very nice report! I had been building up to this deck for quite a while and just finished it up, but I'm curious what the logic was behind surgical against delver? Were you trying to ghost quarter a volc/sea and surgical it? or even just extracting wasteland?

Jan 2010
    UK

good report and big congratulations. I played vs Burn on a local tournament yesterday and can confirm that Chalice for 1 is neckbreaking for them. Great results against miracles!
    Last edited by AmokPL; 11-27-2016 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ET1 View Post
    Very nice report! I had been building up to this deck for quite a while and just finished it up, but I'm curious what the logic was behind surgical against delver? Were you trying to ghost quarter a volc/sea and surgical it? or even just extracting wasteland?
    It was the last round of day 1 and I was being stupid already locked for day 2. Nothing more, nothing less.

Thread Information