Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Legacy - drawing cards

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Lost Legacy - drawing cards

Question time! Lost Legacy - do you have to remind your opponent to draw cards (if you strip cards from his/her hand) or does your opponent have to keep track of that him/herself?

Had this come up during the weekend - first time around we both didn't remember, the second time I forgot but my opponent remembered.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: Lost Legacy - drawing cards

Pretty sure it's a must. It's all part of one effect I'd say just like you can't not put two back off of brainstorm
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Dec 2013

Yes, it's a must, but what are the consequences when both players forget it (and find out about it later) or when just 1 player forgets it?

I mean, I'm the one to cast the card (and should know it in the first place, especially since it's rather beneficial for me when my opponent doesn't draw any cards when he should) and my opponent's the one to draw the cards (so it's beneficial for him to do so).
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

If you have forgotten the trigger, but completed the rest of the card, a judge would likely ask your opponent of they would like the trigger to go on the stack. They get to say yes or no. Also GRV.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

It's not a trigger.

Dec 2013

If you have forgotten the trigger, but completed the rest of the card, a judge would likely ask your opponent of they would like the trigger to go on the stack. They get to say yes or no. Also GRV.
    It isn't a trigger though, it's part of resolving the Lost Legacy. I believe the first time I cast it, I did say "don't forget to draw a card after we've shuffled/cut your library", but during that process we still both forgot he actually had to draw a card afterwards. We didn't realise until after we handled a second Lost Legacy (where my opponent did remember to draw a card) several turns later.

Thing is, it's easy to overlook and I don't want to cheat my opponent out of cards he/she rightfully should draw (or make my opponent feel like they're being cheated).
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Don't know the card it's their problem, I personally like to read out a card if it involves them

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

You can't half complete an effect. They should draw.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Dec 2013

You can't half complete an effect. They should draw.
    Obviously. The question is what to do if you find out several turns later they should have but didn't. And who's responsible for what. It's my Lost Legacy, I pick the cards out of their hand (and library), but they're supposed to do the drawing.
    DAMMIT ECHELON

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    Don't know the card it's their problem, I personally like to read out a card if it involves them
    It also becomes your problem when you get DQ'ed from an event for that. Like you should.

As others have mentioned, you can't just complete parts of an effect of a card and hope your opponent doesn't notice. You don't play Armageddon, keep your lands and hope your opponent doesn't notice.

If a judge is a called, both players will receive a GRV warning. The player who cast Lost Legacy might get investigated and potentially disqualified for Cheating if it was determined that he noticed his opponent didn't draw the cards he should have drawn. If possible, the judge will repair the damaged game state.

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Obviously. The question is what to do if you find out several turns later they should have but didn't. And who's responsible for what. It's my Lost Legacy, I pick the cards out of their hand (and library), but they're supposed to do the drawing.
    I can understand that you want things to work that way. But they don't. What you're describing is grounds for a disqualification. In general, the whole "my card/their card" thing is barely relevant for anything at all.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    I can understand that you want things to work that way. But they don't. What you're describing is grounds for a disqualification. In general, the whole "my card/their card" thing is barely relevant for anything at all.
    I mostly don't want to screw over (or make them feel like I'm trying to screw them over) my opponent b/c I focus my attention to finding whatever card I want to exile and forgetting to do the rest. Guess I'll just put down a die in the middle of the table on the number of cards my opponent has to draw whenever I fish something out of their hand with LL so I'm pretty much forced to remember.
    DAMMIT ECHELON

It's not my fault they didn't ask to see the card or not listen when I read the card off.

If they didn't draw, their fault

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

It's not my fault they didn't ask to see the card or not listen when I read the card off.

If you knowingly let them 'forget' to draw cards that's cheating.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

The beauty of rules is that they apply whether or not you want it.

You can keep playing with your fantasy version of the rules, but don't be surprised to be in for a ton of disqualifications.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

How similar is Thought-Knot Seer to this? When the card first came out I saw a lot of it being played where the controller would not say anything about the card draw after opp removed it and both players would proceed like nothing happened. I assume that missing a controlled trigger that is beneficial to the opponent could also lead to warning/DQ?

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Yes, very much so. Just like attacking with Goblin Guide and not saying anything, hoping your opponent forgets to reveal the top card. So many Burn players are doing this without even understanding of how serious an issue this is.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Indeed. If a burn player attacks with GG, without informing you about the trigger, you can call a judge over for him/her trying to cheat.

Its the same you should do if people just go into looking at the top 3 with SDT or drawing cards with it, without asking you if it resolves
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    How similar is Thought-Knot Seer to this? When the card first came out I saw a lot of it being played where the controller would not say anything about the card draw after opp removed it and both players would proceed like nothing happened. I assume that missing a controlled trigger that is beneficial to the opponent could also lead to warning/DQ?
    I had an opponent do this to me at GP Prague. I terminus in drawstep, go to main, he just gives me the stare. Go to 2nd main, 'I didn't draw off TKS.'

'Your fault, I'm not supposed to say anything.'

'JUUUUDGE', and he appealed to HJ...

Question time! Lost Legacy - do you have to remind your opponent to draw cards (if you strip cards from his/her hand) or does your opponent have to keep track of that him/herself?

Had this come up during the weekend - first time around we both didn't remember, the second time I forgot but my opponent remembered.
    Yes, you have to remind them.

Resolving spells or triggered abilities is not like remembering triggered abilities. You can allow an opponent to forget their own triggers. No one can allow a spell or triggered ability to be resolved incorrectly.

See IPG 2.5 Game Play Error - Game Rule Violation.

If the game is not too far past the point that the GRV occurred, the game is backed up to the point of the error. If the game has progressed too far, the game state is left as is, except:

• State-based actions are applied.
    • If a player made an illegal choice or failed to make a required choice for a permanent on the battlefield, that
    player makes a legal choice.
    • If a player forgot to draw cards, discard cards, or return cards from their hand to another zone, that player
    does so.
    • If an object changing zones is put into the wrong zone, the identity of the object was known to all players,
    and it is within a turn of the error, put the object in the correct zone.

Note specifically the third one. Even if the game cannot be backed up, the player draws the cards when the error is discovered.

Both players would get GRV penalties (not FTMGS) because an illegal action (not drawing cards) was taken by the player who didn't control the card.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.”
    -David DeLaney

Dec 2013

@cdr: Thank you, that is what I was looking for.
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Thread Information