Thread: Degaretti, Ingenious Iconoclast Vehicles

Jul 2013
    Texas

Degaretti, Ingenious Iconoclast Vehicles

Hello, I just took this deck through a league and had a blast, so I decided to share it. First, the list:

1 Nether Spirit

4 Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
    1 Ajani Vengeant

4 Innocent Blood
    2 Lingering Souls
    2 Orzhov Signet
    2 Rakdos Signet
    2 Scroll Rack
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
    4 Smuggler's Copter
    1 Sword of the Meek
    3 Terminus
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Trading Post
    3 Warping Wail

3 Ancient Tomb
    3 Badlands
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 City of Traitors
    2 Marsh Flats
    4 Mishra's Factory
    1 Plateau
    3 Scrubland
    1 Swamp

3 Duress
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Faerie Macabre
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Warmth
    3 Wear // Tear

I got the idea for this deck when I used my last 10 SCG funbux to buy a pack of Kaladesh at the Louisville GP and pulled a Smuggler's Copter. I had also picked up a Daretti while there, and realized that you could crew vehicles with his defenders. I figured I would pocket that information for a couple years until Smuggler's Copter rotated out, but then... It was banned in Standard! Suddenly a bulk rare. Finally, I was looking for a cheap deck I could play on MTGO so I could get a fix now and then. Most cards in here are pretty cheap. Plateau is 60 cents!

I tinkered with a couple ideas. First, I tried a sort of hybrid Loam deck with the copter & Daretti to complement Chalice, Punishing Fire, and Grove, but it was way too clunky. Then I tried playing blue for Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, figuring I could make some 5/5 Copters, but it seemed worse than playing the other Tezzeret/Daretti deck.

Overall, it felt like a poor Chalice deck. I decided to open myself up to 1-drops. Was scouring decklists for ideas when I found Parfait, remembered that Scroll Rack works with miracles, added top and terminus, got Souls to ditch to and crew Copter, some good sideboard cards, and voila -- I had my splash color.

Took it through a league where I lost to BUG Delver and TES. Then I won a game vs. BUG Delver, but ran out of time in game 2 when I was about to turn the corner (I also learned there are no draws on MTGO). Lost to Elves and then beat Burn. In two games! Granted in the first game I had a turn 2 Ajani vs. his Goblin Guide, but hey -- I was clearly expecting that to be bad, hence the two Warmths.

I'm pretty sure Heart of Kiran and Aethersphere Harvester deserve spots -- Harvester is probably better than Trading Post, which I really only put in because I was hitting my life total pretty hard. Obviously Heart synergizes well with Daretti and actually might make it worth adding some more planeswalkers. This is definitely a first draft, any suggestions are welcome.

bruizar

Re: Degaretti, Ingenious Iconoclast Vehicles

First off, I love the deck! My suggestion is to try out Veteran Motorist.

Nov 2016
    Erie, PA

This looks like a fun deck to give a try. I might just have to pick up the pieces and give it a whirl on MODO after the next downtime.

One choice I do have to ask about however, is there any specific reason you were running one City of Traitors and 3 Ancient Tomb?

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    First off, I love the deck! My suggestion is to try out Veteran Motorist.
    This is an interesting card... but I really like Innocent Blood and I'd hate to eat my own guy with it. I guess at worst it's aggressively costed and can be a real clock until the engine is online.

Quote Originally Posted by kalvin66rocks View Post
    This looks like a fun deck to give a try. I might just have to pick up the pieces and give it a whirl on MODO after the next downtime.

One choice I do have to ask about however, is there any specific reason you were running one City of Traitors and 3 Ancient Tomb?
    OK, so be warned that I took it through another league and didn't win a match. I did lose to the clock a couple times though. It's very slow to win once you establish control. So if you're going to work on it, maybe try and find a way to close games faster. It is possible that one of the 4 cmc Sorins might be preferable to Ajani as they pump out bodies that can crew vehicles.

The Scroll Racks have done nothing so that's a MB slot opened up. Hardcasting stranded Terminuses isn't that hard with sol lands and signets. Sword of the Meek hasn't been worth it either really. Skysovereign has overperformed.

I am also trying to find some room for E-plagues and Pithing Needles in the board because TNN is really popular as is Deathrite Shaman and other planeswalkers. Needle could even be in the maindeck.

City/Tomb split is all about experimentation. You do eat your life total pretty fast when you're on a Tomb hand.

I think this engine is strong enough for Legacy, but it's going to require a lot of work to compete with the goodstuff. Let me know where you end up.

Nov 2011
    Krems an der Donau, Austria

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post

I tinkered with a couple ideas. First, I tried a sort of hybrid Loam deck with the copter & Daretti to complement Chalice, Punishing Fire, and Grove, but it was way too clunky. Then I tried playing blue for Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, figuring I could make some 5/5 Copters, but it seemed worse than playing the other Tezzeret/Daretti deck.
    I tried to build a Deck with Tezzeret:

4 Glint-Nest Crane
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Smuggler's Copter
    4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    3 Thopter Foundry
    2 Sword of the Meek
    3 Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
    2 Dack Fayden
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Heart of Kiran
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Transmute Artifact
    3 Wasteland
    1 Seat of the Synod
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Badlands
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 City of Traitors

Glint-Nest Crane into Copter and I have someone who can crew the copter.
    For the Heart I also have enough Planeswalkers.

But I am not sure if I need the Thopter Combo, because maybe more Aggro would be nice in this deck.

Nov 2016
    Erie, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    I tried to build a Deck with Tezzeret:

4 Glint-Nest Crane
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Smuggler's Copter
    4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    3 Thopter Foundry
    2 Sword of the Meek
    2 Dack Fayden
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Heart of Kiran
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Transmute Artifact
    3 Wasteland
    1 Seat of the Synod
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Badlands
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 City of Traitors

Glint-Nest Crane into Copter and I have someone who can crew the copter.
    For the Heart I also have enough Planeswalkers.

But I am not sure if I need the Thopter Combo, because maybe more Aggro would be nice in this deck.

Grixis seems like a good way to go, it also seems to make itself into a decent chalice shell,with the upside being that vehicles can help us end the game and looter scooter can helps us ditch unwanted mana and extra lands.

I'm not sure if this shell needs city of traitors, as we are looking to play the long game, sort of like the tezzerator decks.

I really like the inclusion of wasteland/ crucible as that by itself can just end games as well.

Nov 2016
    Erie, PA

This is the current list that I'm testing right now. So far I like having the inclusion of the thopter-sword combo. I shaved tezzeret down to 3.
    4 Glint-Nest Crane
    4 Baleful Strix
    2 Aethersphere Harvester
    4 Smuggler's Copter
    3 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    3 Thopter Foundry
    2 Sword of the Meek
    2 Dack Fayden
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Heart of Kiran
    2 Crucible of Worlds

3 Wasteland
    1 Seat of the Synod
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Badlands
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    4 Ancient Tomb

I'm not sure what exactly we want for the sideboard in this. I think the following is a good place to start as it covers some holes that we have:
    2 ensnaring bridge
    3-4 faerie macabre/leyline of the void (pretty up in the air on this one. thoughts?)
    1-2 toxic deluge
    2-3 trinisphere
    1-2 snuff out

Jul 2013
    Texas

I'll see what I can afford on MTGO and perhaps test a Tezz version. I kind of feel like it's not different enough from the other Tezz decks, but maybe it is. Tezz activating vehicles is certainly a real thing.

Dec 2013
    Lowell MA

I've been tinkering with Daretti in a jund deck that tries to do a lot of the same things you are doing, except without the copters. My idea was to use tireless tracker and daretti to spew out large amounts of tokens, which I can then sacrifice to smokestack or use with ghirapur aether grid. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, and I'm pretty sure what I schemed up is quite bad, but turn 1 chalice is obviously stoopid good, probably good enough to carry my silly deck.

3 daretti, ingenious iconoclast
    4 chalice of the void
    2 Rakdos signet
    4 abrupt decay
    2 Ghirapur aether grid
    2 crucible of worlds
    4 mox diamond
    2 Pia and Kiran nalaar
    2 smokestack
    3 green sun's zenith
    1 dryad arbor
    1 scavenging ooze
    1 nissa, vastwood Seer
    4 tireless tracker
    1 verdurous gearhulk

4 ancient tomb
    4 wasteland
    2 forest
    1 swamp
    2 badlands
    2 bayou
    2 taiga
    3 verdant catacombs
    2 bloodstained mire
    2 wooded foothills

EDIT: The green suns zeniths are there to consistently find copies of tireless tracker, then I added a few good utility dudes, but it's probably the part of the deck that makes the least sense.

Nov 2016
    Erie, PA

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dingo View Post
    I've been tinkering with Daretti in a jund deck that tries to do a lot of the same things you are doing, except without the copters. My idea was to use tireless tracker and daretti to spew out large amounts of tokens, which I can then sacrifice to smokestack or use with ghirapur aether grid. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, and I'm pretty sure what I schemed up is quite bad, but turn 1 chalice is obviously stoopid good, probably good enough to carry my silly deck.

3 daretti, ingenious iconoclast
    4 chalice of the void
    2 Rakdos signet
    4 abrupt decay
    2 Ghirapur aether grid
    2 crucible of worlds
    4 mox diamond
    2 Pia and Kiran nalaar
    2 smokestack
    3 green sun's zenith
    1 dryad arbor
    1 scavenging ooze
    1 nissa, vastwood Seer
    4 tireless tracker
    1 verdurous gearhulk

4 ancient tomb
    4 wasteland
    2 forest
    1 swamp
    2 badlands
    2 bayou
    2 taiga
    3 verdant catacombs
    2 bloodstained mire
    2 wooded foothills

EDIT: The green suns zeniths are there to consistently find copies of tireless tracker, then I added a few good utility dudes, but it's probably the part of the deck that makes the least sense.
    It seems like a decent place to start with a brew, I like the idea of Ghirapur Aether Grid, but I'm not sure if it can be abused enough. I would imagine it can just pump damage out of nowhere though

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    I'll see what I can afford on MTGO and perhaps test a Tezz version. I kind of feel like it's not different enough from the other Tezz decks, but maybe it is. Tezz activating vehicles is certainly a real thing.
    The main thing that makes this feel different from the other tezz version is that we aren't reliable on Tezzerret the seeker and thopter-sword combo. The vehicles also seem to close out games pretty well when some times you don't end up with the exact pieces that you are looking for.

As a side note, I have been testing this in paper against friends, I still have to look into how much it would cost me to put together on MTGO.

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

I like the first list but it's need some update.

I don't think you want Scroll Rack and Terminus in the deck. I understand you want to put back Terminus to the top to trigger Miracles, but it's not good.

So I would do this:
    - 2 Scroll Rack
    - 3 Terminus

+3 Sword to Plowers
    +2 Zealous Perioustion (You can have Toxic Deludge as well but it's not a good combo with Tomb)

1 Nether Spirit

4 Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
    1 Ajani Vengeant

4 Innocent Blood
    2 Lingering Souls
    2 Orzhov Signet
    2 Rakdos Signet
    3 Sword to Plowers
    2 Zealous Perioustion
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
    4 Smuggler's Copter
    1 Sword of the Meek

2 Thoughtseize
    2 Trading Post
    3 Warping Wail

3 Ancient Tomb
    3 Badlands
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 City of Traitors
    2 Marsh Flats
    4 Mishra's Factory
    1 Plateau
    3 Scrubland
    1 Swamp

3 Duress
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Faerie Macabre
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Warmth
    3 Wear // Tear

I added more removel but what was the issue you had when you played? What did you well was missing?
    Deadguy ale Primer: http://articles.mtgcardmarket.com/br...n-deadguy-ale/ (Jeff did it before me)

Thread Information