Thread: Research/Development and pre Sideboard games

Research/Development and pre Sideboard games

Hey guys!

Quick question regarding the Research side of Research/Development.

Game 1: I cast a Researches and shuffling up to 4 cards into my bib. I get a deck check now (so after game 1 but before Sideboarding), what happens now? Do I need to tell the judge, which cards I put into my bib? What happens, if I cannot remember it exactly? Are there any other things I have to remember/do when casting Research?

Would be important to know, since I'm planning to play a deck, which uses Research as a combo element.

Greetings,
    Kathal

Re: Research/Development and pre Sideboard games

Quote Originally Posted by Kathal View Post
    Hey guys!

Quick question regarding the Research side of Research/Development.

Game 1: I cast a Researches and shuffling up to 4 cards into my bib. I get a deck check now (so after game 1 but before Sideboarding), what happens now? Do I need to tell the judge, which cards I put into my bib? What happens, if I cannot remember it exactly? Are there any other things I have to remember/do when casting Research?

Would be important to know, since I'm planning to play a deck, which uses Research as a combo element.

Greetings,
    Kathal
    Judges will generally not take your deck until you present it, which means after sideboarding if it's a mid-round deck check. By presenting your deck you're asserting that it's in a legal state; it can be in any state prior to that. Taking a deck after game one but before sideboarding would be very unusual.

Even if that somehow happened, judges will very quickly be able to figure out why there are sideboard cards in your deck. You do not need to identify which cards you tutored for.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Re: Research/Development and pre Sideboard games

I had the after game 1 pre SB deck check already a couple of times, hence the question.

But thanks for the answer, helps a lot!

Greetings,
    Kathal

Thread Information