Thread: B/W Near-Death Glory

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

B/W Near-Death Glory

The following is a white/black combo brew I've been working on:

The only creatures in the deck currently are recruiter of the guard to help tutor for academy rector. Combo #1: With the academy rector in play we have the choice to either sac everything with kaervek's spite on our opponents end step so that we can put into play barren glory in response. Combo #2: We use academy rector to put into play near-death experience, we then use plunge into darkness to get down to the 1 life needed to trigger the win condition.

There are a few discard cards included in the deck list for general disruption purposes. I also threw in a few moxies to try and speed up the combo. Even still, the deck may be too slow for the current meta, but let me know what you guys think. Thanks

4 Chrome Mox
    3 Lotus Petal

4 Academy Rector
    4 Recruiter of the Guard

2 Barren Glory
    2 Near-Death Experience

4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Kaervek's Spite
    4 Plunge into Darkness
    4 Vampirc Tutor

2 Gerrard's Verdict
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Vindicate

2 Ancient Tomb
    3 Godless Shrine
    4 Scrubland
    6 Swamp
    6 Plains
    Last edited by Fallen_Empire; 12-31-2016 at 09:07 PM.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Re: B/W Near-Death Glory

Aside from vampiric tutor being banned, playing a combo that doesn't win the game immediately is bad, especially when it is a fragile combo to begin with. At the very least focus on one half and build towards it. I'm also shocked you didn't start with:
    4 academy rector
    4 cabal therapy
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Vampiric Tutor isn't legal in Legacy. Maybe Diabolic intent because it helps bin the Rector and find pieces of the combo?
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    It's like arguing your way out of a speeding ticket by saying "it's not like I'm wearing oven mitts, officer."
    Twenty Kavus and a Dream is NOT a Legacy deck.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    Aside from vampiric tutor being banned, playing a combo that doesn't win the game immediately is bad, especially when it is a fragile combo to begin with. At the very least focus on one half and build towards it. I'm also shocked you didn't start with:
    4 academy rector
    4 cabal therapy
    Yeah Cabal is an easy 4 of, deck-list updated

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Interesting deck. It's too slow to fight other combo decks, but you could probably steal a game or two against slower decks. Seems like a fun casual-competitive brew, and I like the creativity.

Dark Ritual could be a good addition, either in place of Chrome Mox or alongside it, as it gives you the exact casting cost of Kaervek's Spite. Is there a reason you're not using fetchlands? Those would smooth out your mana. Vindicate seems a bit slow, but it's definitely flexible. You might consider Innocent Blood or Diabolic Edict, which both work with what you're trying to do with Academy Rector. Pack Rat could be an alternative plan, being fetchable with Recruiter of the Guard and able to turn the wrong set of cards into bodies.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Interesting deck. It's too slow to fight other combo decks, but you could probably steal a game or two against slower decks. Seems like a fun casual-competitive brew, and I like the creativity.

Dark Ritual could be a good addition, either in place of Chrome Mox or alongside it, as it gives you the exact casting cost of Kaervek's Spite. Is there a reason you're not using fetchlands? Those would smooth out your mana. Vindicate seems a bit slow, but it's definitely flexible. You might consider Innocent Blood or Diabolic Edict, which both work with what you're trying to do with Academy Rector. Pack Rat could be an alternative plan, being fetchable with Recruiter of the Guard and able to turn the wrong set of cards into bodies.
    Yeah cheers for the support. I guess I was concerned about blood moon but I think the fetches really are worth it to smooth out the mana. Here is an updated list:

4 Chrome Mox
    3 Lotus Petal

4 Academy Rector
    4 Recruiter of the Guard

2 Barren Glory
    2 Near-Death Experience

4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Kaervek's Spite
    4 Plunge into Darkness
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Dark Ritual
    2 Innocent Blood

2 Ancient Tomb
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scrubland
    3 Swamp
    3 Plains

Has anyone given this a run? I would if I had some of the parts (I.e. I have enough to make it a thing in an edh deck, but no more than that).

I imagine that it’s gonna win some games just cuz the opponent has no idea what to counter and how to play against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Lurking Evil Is tutorable by Rector, and also wins the game like plunge does.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

kaervek's spite is interesting in that the "cost" is you saccing all permanents and discarding your hand.
    the effect you want is essentially uncounterable.

with 8 humans in the list, is cavern of souls needed or is the discard enough?

i like it enough to get the 3 cards i'm missing...

I’d assume you need more disruption. Not only to strip all counters but as disruption magnets themselves.

2 inquisitions and a smallpox?

Also, how easy do y’all think it is to make a transformational sideboard? Into BW humans? Thalias, kitesail pirate, orzhov pontiff?
    Or maybe aluren?

Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post
    I’d assume you need more disruption. Not only to strip all counters but as disruption magnets themselves.

2 inquisitions and a smallpox?

Also, how easy do y’all think it is to make a transformational sideboard? Into BW humans? Thalias, kitesail pirate, orzhov pontiff?
    Or maybe aluren?

Transform into Doomsday

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Transform into Doomsday
    I can’t tell if that was a serious suggestion or not, but I feel like there’s not a lot of overlap between the decks to make it work..

Could definitely be wrong though, since I’ve not actually piloted a doomsday list outside of edh. Isn’t it easier to port this deck into a doomsday shell than doomsday into a cheese stands alone shell?

Thread Information