Thread: Looking for a Rule

Looking for a Rule

I remember several years ago Loop rules were changed to mandate that a specific number of iterations must be named at the start of a loop. Recently in a commander game someone created an "infinite" mill "loop" due to his target having a Kozilek and tried short cutting to "Mill until Kozilek is one of the last 2."

Myself and another legacy player tried explaining that the "Loop" is illegal and were (of course) accused of making stuff up.

I know when the rule was changed in the IPG 5 years ago it was section 4.3 under slowplay. The newest IPG doesn't seem to have the same rule listed. 719.2a is the closest I have found:

719.2a: At any point in the game, the player with priority may suggest a shortcut by describing a sequence of game choices, for all players, that may be legally taken based on the current game state and the predictable results of the sequence of choices. This sequence may be a non-repetitive series of choices, a loop that repeats a specified number of times, multiple loops, or nested loops, and may even cross multiple turns. It can't include conditional actions, where the outcome of a game event determines the next action a player takes. The ending point of this sequence must be a place where a player has priority, though it need not be the player proposing the shortcut.

Is there a better ruling, IPG entry or something I can use or is this it?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
    Belcher
    Delver
    Dredge

When your heart won't beat, your eyes go black
    There's a light in the tunnel and you can't turn back
    Your friends can't save you, your family's gone
    You're waiting on your judgment at the foot of the throne
    Will you beg for some mercy? Will you cop some pleas?
    Will you stand on your own or get down on your knees?
    Will your angels release you from where demons dwell?
    Will you make it into Heaven or go right back to Hell?
    Only time will tell

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: Looking for a Rule

3.3 Slow play.

Definition
    ==========
    A player takes longer than is reasonably required to complete game actions. If a judge believes a player is intentionally playing slowly to take advantage of a time limit, the infraction is Unsporting Conduct — Stalling.

It is also slow play if a player continues to execute a loop without being able to provide an exact number of iterations and the expected resulting game state.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Beatusnox View Post
    I remember several years ago Loop rules were changed to mandate that a specific number of iterations must be named at the start of a loop. Recently in a commander game someone created an "infinite" mill "loop" due to his target having a Kozilek and tried short cutting to "Mill until Kozilek is one of the last 2."

Myself and another legacy player tried explaining that the "Loop" is illegal and were (of course) accused of making stuff up.

I know when the rule was changed in the IPG 5 years ago it was section 4.3 under slowplay. The newest IPG doesn't seem to have the same rule listed. 719.2a is the closest I have found:

719.2a: At any point in the game, the player with priority may suggest a shortcut by describing a sequence of game choices, for all players, that may be legally taken based on the current game state and the predictable results of the sequence of choices. This sequence may be a non-repetitive series of choices, a loop that repeats a specified number of times, multiple loops, or nested loops, and may even cross multiple turns. It can't include conditional actions, where the outcome of a game event determines the next action a player takes. The ending point of this sequence must be a place where a player has priority, though it need not be the player proposing the shortcut.

Is there a better ruling, IPG entry or something I can use or is this it?

Sound pretty much like the 4-Horsemen-Dilemma of the player being unable to shortcut a loop to a definitive outcome. As its impossible to determine the order of Kozilek and the other card (or which one the other card in particular is) with a set number of iterations, he can not shortcut it which is covered in your quoted rule as "predictable result". Essentially you guys would need to execute the loop manually which is slowplay on his side
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

3.3 Slow play.

Definition
    ==========
    A player takes longer than is reasonably required to complete game actions. If a judge believes a player is intentionally playing slowly to take advantage of a time limit, the infraction is Unsporting Conduct — Stalling.

It is also slow play if a player continues to execute a loop without being able to provide an exact number of iterations and the expected resulting game state.
    Thank you. For some reason the .txt file I had for the IPG didn't have that line.

Belcher
    Delver
    Dredge

Only time will tell

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Download Judge Core App. I have never regreted it.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Oct 2013
    Berlin

Download Judge Core App. I have never regreted it.
    Android only, I suppose.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

Casual games and sanctioned games aren't the same. While Comprehensive rules apply to both, MTR and IPG doesn't apply to kitchen table Magic. Things such as slow play, shortcuts and missed triggers are Magic tournament rules not Magic rules.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Varal View Post
    Casual games and sanctioned games aren't the same. While Comprehensive rules apply to both, MTR and IPG doesn't apply to kitchen table Magic. Things such as slow play, shortcuts and missed triggers are Magic tournament rules not Magic rules.
    Does not quite change the fact that there is no way to determine the exact result of that loop
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

I advocate playing even casual games under basic tournament rules. Otherwise bad habits can develop that are a pain to break from.

Also that app is amazing. Between it and MTG familiar I should be set now.

Belcher
    Delver
    Dredge

Only time will tell

Thread Information