Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Noble BUG

Noble BUG

I'm going to go ahead and start a thread regarding Reid Duke's victory at GP Louisville with this:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Tarmogoyf
    4 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest

3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder

2 Thoughtseize
    3 Daze
    4 Force of Will

1 Murderous Cut
    3 Abrupt Decay

1 Umezawa's Jitte

1 Sylvan Library

1 Forest
    1 Island
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wasteland

Sideboard
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Thoughtseize
    2 Submerge
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Dread of Night
    1 Painful Truths
    1 Nihil Spellbomb

It is obvious from this list that Reid started with Bant and found the white to not be sufficient and cut it completely for more of the traditional Sultai cards. This is made possible with the inclusion of Leovold, who most likely won games singlehandedly. The list is very traditionally built. Nothing out of the ordinary; just a very streamlined list. The big change will be to see how the deck evolves with the inclusion of Fatal Push.

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Re: Noble Sultai

I finished watching all of his Dark Bant videos this weekend and I really enjoyed how frequently he was able to make a T2 3-drop creature.

It's a real shame there was no coverage this weekend, I would have loved to have seen how much Leovold screwed with people. His price has been spiking like crazy all week, and I'm sure it's nothing but up from here after his 1st place finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Zirath View Post
    It is obvious from this list that Reid started with Bant and found the white to not be sufficient and cut it completely for more of the traditional Sultai cards. This is made possible with the inclusion of Leovold, who most likely won games singlehandedly. The list is very traditionally built. Nothing out of the ordinary; just a very streamlined list. The big change will be to see how the deck evolves with the inclusion of Fatal Push.
    Pretty sure he started with a GSZ BUG, then replaced the zeniths + some other cards for Hierarchs and a full set of TNNs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pACaOXKx368

He called the first deck draft Leovold Sultai, and apparently registered his deck as True-Name Nemesis Sultai.

It looks like there are officially 5 flavors of BUG now:
    Combo Aluren - Traditional all in combo
    Leovold Aluren (or Value Aluren) - Value deck with combo elements
    BUG Delver - Good ol' Team America
    Shardless BUG - Good ol' value bug control
    TNN BUG - Reid's fine work at midrange deckbuilding.
    "Ach! Hans, run! It's the Lhurgoat!"

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: Noble BUG

Triggered. Name changed.

Leovold is such a beating against the format, this deck doesn't shock me at face value. How does it handle with 8 Mana creatures?
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Triggered. Name changed.

Leovold is such a beating against the format, this deck doesn't shock me at face value. How does it handle with 8 Mana creatures?

In his Dark Bant videos he didn't flood out too much, but he was also doing a lot of equipping. The curve is higher than average for a blue deck with multiple 3-drop creatures and 3 JTMS.

Exalted is great with TNN, too.

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

If I have the timeline correct this is how his deck evolved:

December 19: http://www.channelfireball.com/video...sultai-legacy/

December 27: http://www.channelfireball.com/video...old-dark-bant/

January 6: http://www.channelfireball.com/video...bant-2-legacy/

The 2nd video adds a lot of white, the 3rd video cuts down on white significantly, and of course at the GP he appears to have just eliminated it altogether.

Mar 2013

Oh I bet. TNN is a beating, making it stronger doesn't sound at all problematic to me... Gods that card.

So this is already doing well online? Does anyone have links to the vids? I think that's going to answer most reactionary questions people will have.

Edit.
    Thanks.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Triggered. Name changed.
    Fair.

Having played Bant for the last 2 years on and off, I can confirm that 8 dorks and 4 TNN feels insane. You just try to ride the advantage until they die, which should be inevitable if the TNN can't be removed.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

This list really reminds me of the deck he won the scg invitational with 4 years ago.

He has always been a fan of Daze in midrange decks which I find super interesting, especially how he has stated so often in the past he likes making his decks the most "objectively powerful" he can.

Quote Originally Posted by tarmogoat View Post
    It looks like there are officially 5 flavors of BUG now:
    Combo Aluren - Traditional all in combo
    Leovold Aluren (or Value Aluren) - Value deck with combo elements
    BUG Delver - Good ol' Team America
    Shardless BUG - Good ol' value bug control
    TNN BUG - Reid's fine work at midrange deckbuilding.
    Don't forget about Opposition and Food Chain!
    Re: Eldritch Moon and Emrakul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Recap of the finals match since we will never get to watch it: http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/c...ano-2017-01-08

I wonder how much having 3 JTMS really helps; most decks now run 2 at most aside from the odd Miracles list. His Dark Bant videos never used it as a wincon.

Mar 2013

Tweet him, see what he says. I would not put Lili in here myself though. Too many cards you want to keep in hand.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

With 8 dorks 3 Jace seems right, maybe a Garruk as an alternate win con?

Triggered. Name changed.

Ugh, can we skip the ironic, "triggered"?

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

I played around with BUG Leovold midrange as well, but adding 4 Noble and 4 Nemesis never occured to me.
    Multiple nobles play well with an unblockable attacker I guess.

Just wondering why not a single Vendilion Clique made it in the 75.
    Currently playing: Elves

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Tweet him, see what he says. I would not put Lili in here myself though. Too many cards you want to keep in hand.
    I haven't used Twitter in ages, but I'll try to dig up my password and maybe if I ask him nicely enough he'll write an article about the deck and some choices.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I haven't used Twitter in ages, but I'll try to dig up my password and maybe if I ask him nicely enough he'll write an article about the deck and some choices.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he had one up on Channel Fireball this week. He's been writing a ton of Legacy articles leading up to the GP already, and along with his videos this seems like a natural "conclusion" to what he's been writing the last few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by catmint View Post
    Just wondering why not a single Vendilion Clique made it in the 75.
    I'd guess that Reid wasn't 100% certain on all of his deck decisions aside from the core. It seems there is a lot of room to grow from his initial list. I'll keep the OP updated as the deck evolves.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

I think Sultai is going to be a mainstay post-push. If I were to guess I'd think pairing Strix with Leos is one route and this deck for more velocity would be another.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by RobNC View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if he had one up on Channel Fireball this week. He's been writing a ton of Legacy articles leading up to the GP already, and along with his videos this seems like a natural "conclusion" to what he's been writing the last few weeks.
    Good point. Probably doesn't hurt to ask though, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    I think Sultai is going to be a mainstay post-push. If I were to guess I'd think pairing Strix with Leos is one route and this deck for more velocity would be another.
    Indeed. I think the right step here is to consider how the meta reacts to this. BUG decks have been plentiful in the past, but I can see people gearing their boards more now. Possibly a rise in Blood Moons? Also, perhaps a rise of more Red/Burn decks?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information