Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Article] - A case for unbanning Goblin Recruiter.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

[Article] - A case for unbanning Goblin Recruiter.

This was supposed to be released before next week's B/R update, but anyway. I spent too much time writing this to not release it, so here we go.

https://thesaltminesite.com/2017/01/...lin-recruiter/
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

Oct 2013
    Portugal

Re: [Article] - A case for unbanning Goblin Recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    This was supposed to be released before next week's B/R update, but anyway. I spent too much time writing this to not release it, so here we go.

https://thesaltminesite.com/2017/01/...lin-recruiter/
    Good case for the little red guys and I liked how you tied it with the rest of the ban list.
    A couple of cards could easily jump from the banlist without causing harm. But for that they(WotC) would have to care....
    Quote Originally Posted by MXG View Post
    Leovold because he is just gasoline. Look at the artwork. He knows it's over. He's offering your opponent the handshake.

I still have my goblins lying around from way back. If recruiter would be unbanned, I'd sure give them another spin.
    So. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: I liked your argument regarding Miracles. Pushing an unfavorable MU like goblins is a more elegant way to nerf it a bit, instead of wielding the banhammer on top/balance/Terminus etc.

Great article. I agree.

It's a pretty well documented fact that

Black Vise
    Earthcraft
    Land Tax
    Worldgorger Dragon
    Survival of the Fittest
    Mind Twist
    Goblin Recruiter

could all be unbanned tomorrow without hurting the format. All it would do is give other decks a fighting chance to compete with Miracles and the other dominant decks in the format (Reanimator only popped up again because GY hate started becoming rarer, it's easy to hate out of the format again with or w/o WGD).

If Wizards gave a crap about the format or atleast took feedback from players (since they're not willing to test it for themselves), all seven cards would be paroled off the ban list and be given a righteous chance to prove themselves.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Great article. I agree.

Black Vise
    Earthcraft
    Land Tax
    Worldgorger Dragon
    Survival of the Fittest
    Mind Twist
    Goblin Recruiter

could all be unbanned tomorrow without hurting the format. All it would do is give other decks a fighting chance to compete with Miracles and the other dominant decks in the format (Reanimator only popped up again because GY hate started becoming rarer, it's easy to hate out of the format again with or w/o WGD).

If Wizards gave a crap about the format or atleast took feedback from players (since they're not willing to test it for themselves), all seven cards would be paroled off the ban list and be given a righteous chance to prove themselves.
    Land Tax, Black Vise and Dragon are already unbanned

I tend to think that recruiter is a relatively safe unban, but I'm not sure that it will really help goblins be more competitive when the greenskins are really more limited by the high efficiency creatures at the bottom end than by late game issues.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

as much as i'm all for a recruiter unbanning, goblins in its current form is still pretty good. it does need 1 or 2 new goblins that could have some kind of effect on the game. but who knows, with them pushing cards like leovold and prelate, maybe it will happen at some point. people like goblins as a tribe.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Great article. I agree.

Black Vise
    Earthcraft
    Land Tax
    Worldgorger Dragon
    Survival of the Fittest
    Mind Twist
    Goblin Recruiter

I agree that we need to unban all of those cards. But without some changes to the system it' s going to take years for even one of those cards to come off. I think that if WotC doesnt care about Legacy and Vintage, they should give it off to people who actually do care about it to decided what gets banned and unbanned. I once suggested some sort of player voting system, but they could also hand it off to a business that actually makes money off these formats.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    People writing essays about the B/R List without even knowing what's on the list is a time-honoured Source tradition.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Just serves to prove my point. The other 4 could also get unbanned and no one would bat an eye. But wizards doesn't care enough to unban them.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    I think that the players of legacy know much better what should... and they actually care about the quality of... get to veto a decision if it gets...
    Unless you are trying to get this thread locked you should stick to discussing the content of the article.
    #stacking goblins

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Great article, especially with all the penis jokes.

Agreed 100% that Recruiter is safe to unban. The best argument I've heard against it is that it's potentially a time waster, but as you mentioned, Doomsday is legal and doesn't exactly clog up tournaments.

As an Enchantress player, though, I'd still prefer to see Earthcraft as the next unban .

Yeah, I'd take off recruiter if I was in charge. Card is super good, but no better than other broken crap we get to play. Tutors for a number of Goblins for 1R, which all alone is worth the price of admission. Wins the game with Food Chain or Charbelcher, but since when do we care about five or six mana win conditions in Legacy.

I have decided that there are two kinds of people in this world – those that accept the world as it is, and those that want to see change, they want things improved upon and they want changes to make things better.
    Yes, but this is a card game for babies.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Good write-up! I would like to think WotC will finally listen, but...
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Let's talk about the article in question on a new Legacy focused site. Let's not rehash old debates that have forced me to lock threads and delete posts in the past. Because those actions taken in the past are a good indication of what my reaction is likely to be in the future.

Just a heads up.

I look forward to reading this when I wake.
    Last edited by Dice_Box; 01-10-2017 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Redified text.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    If we all work together one day our children just might get to live in a world where they don't get to vote but Mind Twist is unbanned.

Jun 2015
    NYC

Cards that let you organize your entire library for 2 mana are broken, not fun to play against and terrible for tournament play. 'Maybe we should start letting people organize their entire deck again in competitive tournaments' is not something anyone will ever say at Wizards HQ. That's not something they even want to think about. If you want to play casual games with your friends, you can play 5 copies of Goblin Recruiter and they can have the pleasure of watching you organize your deck a bunch of times.

The fixation on the couple dozen poorly designed toys Wizards keeps you guys from playing with is so bizarre to me. You guys have something like 13,000 cards to brew with, forget about the forbidden fruit already.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    Cards that let you organize your entire library for 2 mana are broken, not fun to play against and terrible for tournament play. 'Maybe we should start letting people organize their entire deck again in competitive tournaments' is not something anyone will ever say at Wizards HQ. That's not something they even want to think about. If you want to play casual games with your friends, you can play 5 copies of Goblin Recruiter and they can have the pleasure of watching you organize your deck a bunch of times.

The fixation on the couple dozen poorly designed toys Wizards keeps you guys from playing with is so bizarre to me. You guys have something like 13,000 cards to brew with, forget about the forbidden fruit already.
    Doomsday says hello. I mean, I guess it costs 3 mana...but still. Maybe swamps aren't your thing, and you're more of the Sensei's Diving Top sort of player. Or Jace + Brainstorm, or Brainstorm + Fetch Land. Then there's High Tide, which is essentially just reordering your deck until you've played enough cards to win. We could talk about TES/ANT/Belcher too, which are definitely a hoot to watch go off for 5 minutes in the hope that they actually got there. Remind me again how Recruiter is wasting more time than any of those?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I've been thinking about this and how would this card play out vs fair decks? I don't see it being a very fair card. If you compare it with show and tell, storm, and reanimator then it's definitely not overpowered, but when comparing with delver of secrets, deathrite shaman, and tarmogoyf I don't think they would have a great chance.

One thing worth trying is playing some free form matches on magic online and testing vs the usual suspects. I think this is the most objective way of measuring its power level in today's legacy.
    -rob

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I don't think you would even dick around with Food Chain, you can just play Glimpse of Nature. The deck can go off even if its only other source of mana is Skirk Prospector and Goblin tokens/schlocky Goblins (Matron, other Recruiters, anything that isn't a Piledriver or a Haste-granter).

A Glimpse deck that cannot fizzle unless countered (or its pilot is GOD awful and can't accurately stack they deck) is probably A Thing, but I sure haven't tested it. I would love to be able to play Goblins again, it would probably revitalize a lot of my interest in finding Legacy around here, but I feel like the Recruiter effect in and of itself is one of those effects that just can't exist in Magic on a long enough timeline without getting incidentally busted. It's kind of in the realm of Wizards' attempts at "fixing" Ancestral Recall; spells like Brainstorm, Treasure Cruise, Ponder, SDT on the fringes of similarity, and so on -- these things end up in the "too degenerate not to play whenever possible" pile (maybe Top isn't everywhere, but it's a near-miss Ponder on a stick, and it invites as much Slow Play as Recruiter) and they end up restricted or banned in a ton of formats, because they just break things. They can't not break things. Having access to the top 3 cards of your library is a big deal, it just is. It's a hard effect to 'fix' without rendering it unplayable, but the alternative is that it ends up fucking everywhere.

While I don't think Goblin Recruiter is broken right here and now, I think that its existence would actively preclude any decent Goblins from seeing the light of Legacy, because it would always be there, ready to turn the deck into a self-actualizing monster. I don't think future-proofing is always a good argument for keeping something banned -- again, I would looooooooove to play fucking Goblins + Recruiter, I rather love Gobbos -- but I can see why they'd keep it off the table, in this instance. It's one of a few cards in the game that almost unconditionally lets you stack your deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Thread Information