Page 30 of 209 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Nic Fit

Re: [Primer] Nic Fit

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    I'm not sure that adding Leovold, Atraxa, and Zur's is a good enough reason to splash blue. You are running 1 less Rector as well as not including any Phyrexian Towers. Losing a Rector + 3 sac outlets seems pretty significant to me. Adding those 2 GSZ targets isn't exactly adding the ability to interact earlier (which is something I feel the deck struggles with). Losing the Towers is losing some explosive plays which help make up for less early interaction.
    I've always feared (confirmed by tournaments and tests) that an heavy fourth color is very difficult to manage, at least without 4 DRS. Moreover, in a deck that can often tutor like this one, 3 maindeck cards are not so few: the point is how much they add "something".

Leovold: one of the strongest card in this metagame. Seriously, he has made new decks possible, and everyone run him if they can: i don't think he needs explanation.

Atraxa: First of all, Burn is one of the 4 most present decks in italian tournaments. So if it won't be Atraxa, will be Rhino i think. I really want to have a good mu against Burn: also, every delver deck with Bolt could be a problem, since even if we destroy the board with Deed a Bolt-Snap-Bolt can easily kill us, for example. Atraxa is good and i really don't like Chromanticore or cards like that: personal taste.

@Zur's: Now, i know that this could seem an odd choice. But i've been playing Zur's in my deck almost everytime, and in these 4 years i've lost only one time against Miracle after have played it, and just because he already had a Wear/Tear in hand. There is no card like Zur's to end istantaneously the game against every deck that apply less pressure than us: there is pratically no escape. Starfield? They can just cantrip and search for a Council and remove Starfield, and it's not even sure that we have something in the graveyard.
    Leyline of Sanctity is one of the weakest hate possible against Storm and the few other combo that it concerns: S&T, for example, don't give a **** about it. Even Burn, without a reliable lifegain, is not a gg with Leyline on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Memories of the Time View Post
    I've always feared (confirmed by tournaments and tests) that an heavy fourth color is very difficult to manage, at least without 4 DRS. Moreover, in a deck that can often tutor like this one, 3 maindeck cards are not so few: the point is how much they add "something".

Leovold: one of the strongest card in this metagame. Seriously, he has made new decks possible, and everyone run him if they can: i don't think he needs explanation.

Atraxa: First of all, Burn is one of the 4 most present decks in italian tournaments. So if it won't be Atraxa, will be Rhino i think. I really want to have a good mu against Burn: also, every delver deck with Bolt could be a problem, since even if we destroy the board with Deed a Bolt-Snap-Bolt can easily kill us, for example. Atraxa is good and i really don't like Chromanticore or cards like that: personal taste.

@Zur's: Now, i know that this could seem an odd choice. But i've been playing Zur's in my deck almost everytime, and in these 4 years i've lost only one time against Miracle after have played it, and just because he already had a Wear/Tear in hand. There is no card like Zur's to end istantaneously the game against every deck that apply less pressure than us: there is pratically no escape. Starfield? They can just cantrip and search for a Council and remove Starfield, and it's not even sure that we have something in the graveyard.
    Leyline of Sanctity is one of the weakest hate possible against Storm and the few other combo that it concerns: S&T, for example, don't give a **** about it. Even Burn, without a reliable lifegain, is not a gg with Leyline on board.
    By all means please try out the deck if it looks interesting and if you have these ideas. Last thing I want to do is steer people away from some juicy Nyx Fit testing. It just feels to me that you will be struggling to get your Rector triggers way more than the previous lists - with less Groves to protect your enchantments as well then it just seems like there's less of a point running the entire thing.

If you are up against a ton of Burn, though, I have a real hard time imagining nic fit in general as a good deck to be piloting. At the point where you can GSZ for Atraxa, Burn typically has already, or very nearly, emptied their hand. Think the best nic fit variant to fight Burn (especially if you are eschewing Leyline so quickly) would be Junk splashing blue, running a full playset of Rhinos + Atraxa and Leovold.

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    It just feels to me that you will be struggling to get your Rector triggers way more than the previous lists - with less Groves to protect your enchantments as well then it just seems like there's less of a point running the entire thing.

If you are up against a ton of Burn, though, I have a real hard time imagining nic fit in general as a good deck to be piloting. At the point where you can GSZ for Atraxa, Burn typically has already, or very nearly, emptied their hand. Think the best nic fit variant to fight Burn (especially if you are eschewing Leyline so quickly) would be Junk splashing blue, running a full playset of Rhinos + Atraxa and Leovold.
    No doubt about the first part: i will test, as said. I will also try to just add a tropical and Zur+Leovold, taking back 3 Tower and 1/2 Eladamri Call or Recruiter of the Guard.
    I think that a right built list of Burn is a problem for almost everything, except fast combo. Even Miracle, previously an auto-loss for Burn, with Exquisite Firecraft is beatable.

On the topic of burn, I played against it last night. Cabal therapy seemed like one of the best cards against them in the early game. Deathrite Shaman was also an all star gaining life. Once I was able to stabilize somewhat kaya ghost assassin also did wonders. Her -1 to drain and gain 2 life is good and demands and answer from them unless they can kill you right then and there.

Honestly the matchup didn't feel bad but I need to play against it more. It's very probable I got lucky/them unlucky which is why it felt the way I did. I don't think the matchup is terrible though. Right?

I'm playing a pretty standard junk version with 3 rhino, 3 DRS, thragtusk and kaya as "life gain" with the typic 3 pte, 3 a decay and 3 deed as removal/sweeper

I think that you have a life-gain + removal pack that's way too bigger than other builds boss, i believe you when you say that you haven't feel Burn as a terrible MU =)

I think that you have a life-gain + removal pack that's way too bigger than other builds boss, i believe you when you say that you haven't feel Burn as a terrible MU =)
    really? correct me if I am wrong and maybe the newer builds don't, but I thought 3 pte and 3 abrupt decay with 3 deed was somewhat 'standard' at least for rhino builds. Some amount of Rhinos with Thragtusk also doesn't seem out of the ordinary. I will admit that most lists run 0-2 DRS but I run 3.

I like 3 because it means in my opener I very often have some amount of ramp, it's MD graveyard hate which I don't have a lot of, it gains life early on which can help us see the mid game where we shine, it blanks opposing DRS and in the matchups we side vet out I know I still have a manageable amount of dorks in the deck still.

EDIT: I might have read your original post wrong (darn internet). I would agree that most Rhino builds pack more lifegain/removal then the other nic fit variants.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

I run 3 DRS and 4 PtE + 3 Deeds as removal suite. But I tend to be kinda light on removal.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

First of all, i totally agree about more DRS in midrange shells. I was talking about all versions of Nic Fit, for a Rhino build your pack is just a bit larger than usually but nothing too strange: as said before by square_two, rhino builds are the best positioned against burn =)

First of all, i totally agree about more DRS in midrange shells. I was talking about all versions of Nic Fit, for a Rhino build your pack is just a bit larger than usually but nothing too strange: as said before by square_two, rhino builds are the best positioned against burn =)
    Do keep in mind that there are a few ok sideboard options such as Pulse of Murasa that are great against Burn as well as a lot of Delver matchups.

The only time I've ever 2-0'd Burn online came about a week ago when I was testing a 4 DRS 4 Strix 4 Tracker BUG Fit and had 3 Pulse sideboard. And a few Intuition to grab them if needed. Getting back either Tracker or Strix with Pulse feels really good.

Hi all,

Im very interested in Nic fit but wanted to ask a couple of questions,

I fell in love with the deck watching the pod version work, is BUG pod still viable?

Also, the atraxa builds with planeswalkers look super fun, but do they matchup well in the meta?

Quote Originally Posted by Endyx220 View Post
    Hi all,

Im very interested in Nic fit but wanted to ask a couple of questions,

I fell in love with the deck watching the pod version work, is BUG pod still viable?

Also, the atraxa builds with planeswalkers look super fun, but do they matchup well in the meta?
    BUG pod is solidly viable. It's a bit on the inconsistent side because of the nature of a Birthing Pod deck - if you don't get Pod you're playing a pretty bad deck.

Atraxa walkers is great against all the grindy midrange decks and Miracles, but loses some points against D&T/Burn/Combo depending on how the deck is built.

I was watching a Nyx Fit vs. Death and Taxes last night on Youtube. Nyx Fit looks like it might be the most fun you could possibly have playing magic. I'm interested in building it as I have a lot of the cards already. Is there a viable way to build it without Living Plane, using another combo? I was thinking of enchanted evening + cleansing meditation but some sort of combo that could be better tutored would probably be a lot more ideal.

Here is a link to the video if anyone is interested in watching it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCyUo9Eh2c0

I've made more tests this evening, with a list closer to Navsi's one and just 1 tropical 1 Zur's and 1 Leovold + another Leovold and 2 Fluster by side, and a Siege Rhino instead of Atraxa (with 3 Tower etc).
    I'm still not sure about the blue splash: Leovold is far stronger than Spirit and is zenithable, Zur's is the perfect 1x to have maindeck against Miracle and Combo, hitting almost every combo and closing the game against Miracles 99 times on 100. So it's a very little splash with just 1 land needed for a relatively good impact, but still happens to have Leovold in hand and no DRSs or Fetch in play... hard choice.

Anyway, the deck is incredible, i've understimated it the first times. 3 Tower are amazing, and with 3 zenith you can constantly rely on ramp, a very important thing.
    Still, i'm not totally sold about Wave: Navsi, have you already explained this choice somewhere in the previous pages? I can't find it.

@Vervandi: what makes Living Plane+Giant enough good is the usefulness of the single cards by themselves: for example i've just won a game just playing Living Plane and attacking with 8 lands 1/1. Other case, if in same way they have removed giant and you have a good board position you can just play Plane and then sweep with Deed. Giant has a nice body by itself and so on. I hardly think that there could be better combo (but i will be amazed if it will be so)

Aes Sídhe
    Sep 2010
    Williamsport, PA.

Been very sick the last week, still planning on getting that tournament report from Mythic posted before long, but I need to stop dying first.

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    I run 3 DRS and 4 PtE + 3 Deeds as removal suite. But I tend to be kinda light on removal.
    I use the criteria in my decks of 14 interaction cards by which I mean a mix of discard/removal. It doesn't all have to be straight removal though, because I'll count cards like Master of the Wild Hunt or Garruk Relentless in that.

I've made more tests this evening, with a list closer to Navsi's one and just 1 tropical 1 Zur's and 1 Leovold + another Leovold and 2 Fluster by side, and a Siege Rhino instead of Atraxa (with 3 Tower etc).
    I'm still not sure about the blue splash: Leovold is far stronger than Spirit and is zenithable, Zur's is the perfect 1x to have maindeck against Miracle and Combo, hitting almost every combo and closing the game against Miracles 99 times on 100. So it's a very little splash with just 1 land needed for a relatively good impact, but still happens to have Leovold in hand and no DRSs or Fetch in play... hard choice.

Anyway, the deck is incredible, i've understimated it the first times. 3 Tower are amazing, and with 3 zenith you can constantly rely on ramp, a very important thing.
    Still, i'm not totally sold about Wave: Navsi, have you already explained this choice somewhere in the previous pages? I can't find it.

@Vervandi: what makes Living Plane+Giant enough good is the usefulness of the single cards by themselves: for example i've just won a game just playing Living Plane and attacking with 8 lands 1/1. Other case, if in same way they have removed giant and you have a good board position you can just play Plane and then sweep with Deed. Giant has a nice body by itself and so on. I hardly think that there could be better combo (but i will be amazed if it will be so)
    I initially put parallax wave in, so I can tell you why:

-it's a really good tempo card against any aggro deck + reanimator or sneak show deck and Marit Lage
    -with E witness, you can loop it each turn
    -with starfield and 3 more enchantements, you can exile definitly any amount of opponnent creatures and protect/trigger enter battlfield effects of yours

It's really a stapple of the deck

Aug 2012
    Minneapolis, MN

I know gaea's herald is meh. But what do we think about the new catsnek?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jbone2016 View Post

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Dies to everything. Great effect but no way of reliably keeping it on the battlefield to abuse it.

Edit: this thing is a 4/3?? Man I'm almost willing to just thrown it in anyway as a green sun target to get them beats down.

Quote Originally Posted by jbone2016 View Post
    It probably beats Vexing Shusher, but was that really an effect we cared about in the first place? It doesn't stop GSZ from being countered, which is how we get our best cards 4/5 of the time.

Aes Sídhe
    Sep 2010
    Williamsport, PA.

At 3/4 we would've been more in the market, but still not really interested. Shusher showed up once or twice in Scape as a way to get Scapes to resolve, but was never really that useful and didn't stick around whenever he was tried. Not making Zenith, in particular, uncounterable is very unfortunate and probably a dealbreaker. I think Shusher still does its job, better, for any decks that are just that hard up for that kind of effect.

Thread Information