Page 180 of 209 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180181182183184190 ... LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,600 of 4171

Thread: [Primer] Nic Fit

Re: [Primer] Nic Fit

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    So Hymn for seize or brutality?

Hymn is just really powerful and gets free wins itself. I also love having a real weapon against combo on turn 2.

As the legacy challenges and new lists come out I think this could be a ton of fun.
    I was using Brutality because it also had a kill a DRS mode attached, that's less important now but probably still useful. I would probably do a Thoughtseize/Brutality split.

I just went 3-1 with fair Rectors, the Deck felt pretty strong. I like the fair version quite a lot, being able to shift between Beatdown/Enchantments feels much more consistent than normal Nyx.
    I beat miracles, dredge & MUD in 3, lost to death's shadow /w stifle in 2.

4 vet
    1 scooze
    1 steve
    3 tracker
    1 witness
    3 rector
    1 thragtusk
    1 sigarda

1 garruk relentless

4 zenith
    4 therapy
    4 swords
    1 decay
    1 brutality
    1 vindicate
    1 diabolic intent

1 guile
    1 library
    2 deed
    1 splendor
    1 cruel reality
    1 curse of death's hold

4 catacombs
    4 heaths
    2 bayou
    1 savannah
    1 scrubland
    3 forest
    2 plains
    2 swamp
    1 karakas
    1 stronghold
    1 tower

SB:
    2 thoughtseize
    1 teeg
    1 rec sage
    2 crop rotation
    1 bog
    2 faerie macabre
    1 to the slaughter
    1 deluge
    1 lost legacy
    1 carpet
    1 nissa VF
    1 curse of exhaustion

Honestly, looping faerie with stronghold against dredge was pretty sweet, though I'd probably play Leylines right now if I had them. Also the games against MUD were a blast, somehow I won the round even though he managed to destroy my enchantments every game. I'm definitely looking forward to trying out Archon when it arrives in the mail, porbably over sigarda, and I feel like I want a second carpet of flowers, though I'm not sure what the cut is.

I think if you're in straight GB, hymn >Brutality. The raw power of hymn gets so many free wins and its better to have brutality in the board.

Something I've been playing around with has been Ballista, Traverse and Volrath's Stronghold. Ballista+Stronghold is pretty gg vs Miracles if you can ever get that going.
    Solnox on MTGO

Miracles is a good matchup for depths. Quote me on this

Griselbrand is not an interesting creature.

Dread it. Run from it. Marit Lage still arrives

Trying something different to stimulate discussion. Here's a list of observations, truisms, and unabashed claims. I'm not putting this out there as gospel; rather, I'm looking to start a discussion on what the archetype is about, and I welcome disagreements. Here we go:

In the near to medium term, the ban is slightly negative for us. With DRS gone, decks will pack more graveyard hate in their sideboards, and the collateral damage is going to hurt our gameplan. This, coupled with the fact that combo decks surge in popularity in new and uncertain metas, doesn't bode well for us. On the flip side, the projected rise of RUG, Miracles, and D&T is good for us.

In the long term, it's difficult to tell where the meta will go. One observation is that without DRS, the curve for fair decks will drop a bit, making Pernicious Deed slightly better.

The reasons to be in blue are Brainstorm, Leovold, Jace, Flusterstorm, and (at your discretion) Force of Will. I added FoW to my sideboard shortly before the ban and really liked it; I think it's even more useful now that the meta is shifting toward combo.

The reasons to be in red are the Scapeshift combo and Red Blasts. Punishing Fire is suspect and Sneak Attack is probably obsolete.

The reason to be in white is Academy Rector. Fair junk builds don't cut it anymore. The exception may be if your meta is overrun by Lands, Turbo Depths, and/or Burn, as Path and Rhinos shore up those otherwise problematic matchups.

Three colors is the sweet spot. There isn't enough to gain from straight GB builds to justify not adding a third color, and four color lists get clunky quickly.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

If your meta is overrun w/ Land/Turbo Depths you might just not want to play Nic Fit at all lol

Fair Junk is in a pretty decent place, dependant on the meta. It's just changed a bit from what it once was.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

what's the discord channel for nicfit?

Dec 2013

DAMMIT ECHELON

Quote Originally Posted by solnox View Post
    I think if you're in straight GB, hymn >Brutality. The raw power of hymn gets so many free wins and its better to have brutality in the board.

Something I've been playing around with has been Ballista, Traverse and Volrath's Stronghold. Ballista+Stronghold is pretty gg vs Miracles if you can ever get that going.
    Agree on Ballista, I had played with it a bit when it first came out. It was ok, but not great. I think it's getting better now.

Disagree on Hymn though, Hymn capable opening hands tend to have pretty vulnerable mana since the best card to open on is Forest (in most matchups).

Quote Originally Posted by NON View Post
    There isn't enough to gain from straight GB builds to justify not adding a third color
    You gain consistency, speed, and resiliency by having better mana.

Playing 2 colors means you like actually casting your spells more than the 3 color folks.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Brael View Post
    You gain consistency, speed, and resiliency by having better mana.

Playing 2 colors means you like actually casting your spells more than the 3 color folks.
    You also get access to double black spells much earlier in the game. I have been strongly considering Hymns and Lilliana as a way to fight combo decks while our engines come alive.

You also get the game breaking explorer>therapy>therapy>Hymn play as a nut draw which is the best start the deck can have against the field IMO.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Explorer, Therapy, Therapy, Hymn requires 3 basic Swamps in the deck, 4 if you don't open on Bayou, 5 if you want insurance against accidentally drawing one. Few GB decks run that. At also leaves you with only one green mana as you untap into T3 which severely restricts how your deck curves out.

Hymn is powerful, but in a deck that's base green the double black is a huge cost. LotV has a much lower deck building restriction but tends to not be great unless you have some sort of engine to take advantage of the discard. Punishing Flames is one such way, Lingering Souls is another, but neither is really great for us... or fits in pure BG.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Brael View Post
    Explorer, Therapy, Therapy, Hymn requires 3 basic Swamps in the deck, 4 if you don't open on Bayou, 5 if you want insurance against accidentally drawing one. Few GB decks run that. At also leaves you with only one green mana as you untap into T3 which severely restricts how your deck curves out.

Hymn is powerful, but in a deck that's base green the double black is a huge cost. LotV has a much lower deck building restriction but tends to not be great unless you have some sort of engine to take advantage of the discard. Punishing Flames is one such way, Lingering Souls is another, but neither is really great for us... or fits in pure BG.
    Dark Confidant and Tireless Tracker are the engines to take advantage of LotV, but I also think she is more than a 1 of utility card. The mana base is super doable with 4 forests 3 swamps, 4 bayou and a GSZ package to hold it together.

I am still working on the numbers and am appreciative of the feedback.

Aug 2012
    Minneapolis, MN

So.....a thought occurred to me.
    Are any of the sagas powerful enough to run in rector?

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jbone2016 View Post
    So.....a thought occurred to me.
    Are any of the sagas powerful enough to run in rector?
    In short - nope

They don't nearly have the impact the enchantments we currently run do.
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

First Draft that I am going to play tomorrow in a double up:

Dudes(18)
    4 Veteran Explorer
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Tireless Tracker
    2 Eternal Witness
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Reclamation Sage

Disruption (14)
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Collective Brutality

Utility(7)
    4 Green Suns Zenith
    2 Crop Rotation
    1 Liliana of the Veil

Land(21)
    4 Forest
    3 Swamps
    2 Bayou
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Volrath’s Stronghold
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Karakas

Sideboard(15)
    3 Surgical Extractions
    2 Lost Legacy
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Marsh Casualties
    1 Pernicious Deed
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    2 Choke

What you got?

The game plan is to strip their hand and lock down the game with witness recursion.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    First Draft that I am going to play tomorrow in a double up:

Dudes(18)
    4 Veteran Explorer
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Tireless Tracker
    2 Eternal Witness
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Reclamation Sage

Disruption (14)
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Collective Brutality

Utility(7)
    4 Green Suns Zenith
    2 Crop Rotation
    1 Liliana of the Veil

Land(21)
    4 Forest
    3 Swamps
    2 Bayou
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Volrath’s Stronghold
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Karakas

Sideboard(15)
    3 Surgical Extractions
    2 Lost Legacy
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Marsh Casualties
    1 Pernicious Deed
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    2 Choke

What you got?

The game plan is to strip their hand and lock down the game with witness recursion.
    With so low curve I would add 1 Savannah or scrubland and gaddock MD. It would gives additional angle against combo, similar to Maverick.

P.S. you don't have any removal vs Angler or Mandrills MD/SB.
    As for hardlock better would be Fournal Charm which discard any card.
    Other option is to splash Red, and add K.Command which would give other options like pyroblasts etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    With so low curve I would add 1 Savannah or scrubland and gaddock MD. It would gives additional angle against combo, similar to Maverick.

P.S. you don't have any removal vs Angler or Mandrills MD/SB.
    As for hardlock better would be Fournal Charm which discard any card.
    Other option is to splash Red, and add K.Command which would give other options like pyroblasts etc..
    Agree completely.

All of the 2 ofs should be 1 ofs to make room for additional utility creatures.

The deck needs to play a single zenithable Glissa the Traitor to dominate the board, and a single teeg wouldn't hurt.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Agree completely.

All of the 2 ofs should be 1 ofs to make room for additional utility creatures.

The deck needs to play a single zenithable Glissa the Traitor to dominate the board, and a single teeg wouldn't hurt.
    I agree with this, with a caveat. While I think the witness engine is incredible, I think it would be good to include something to pay it off better. You're going to have boatloads of mana in the mid-late game with very few payoffs. The witness/Stronghold engine is great, but susceptible to Wasteland. I think there are a few cards that could really make this payoff a little better:
    1) Shriekmaw (pretty decent with Stronghold, this can't answer all threats though. Weaker due to Gurmag in the format.)
    2) Profane Command (janky, but loops with Witness just like Stronghold. And it scales up; the more mana you have, the better it gets. Your discard should clear the way.)
    3) Unearh (very efficient engine with Eternal Witness

Other than that, I think working 1-2 big GSZ targets is wise, probably a Carnage Tyrant and a Thragtusk. This addresses the Gurmag/beefy opposing threat problem by matching it with your own, likely bigger threat. Tusk trades with angler, gains 5, and leaves a 3/3 behind. Tyrant will resolve if cast, tramples, and beats the snot out of Angler and usually even Tarmogoyf.

If you use Glissa I think working in Engineered Explosives, along with a splashed 3rd color dual, would be very good as well.

TL,DR: Squeeze in a couple big GSZ targets and don't be afraid to go janky on an open format.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

What are people's thoughts about Traverse the Ulvenwald? Early it gets land drops, late it gets dudes. Seems like it could be a 1-2 of in the deck.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    What are people's thoughts about Traverse the Ulvenwald? Early it gets land drops, late it gets dudes. Seems like it could be a 1-2 of in the deck.
    I remember someone was trying Traverse the Ulvenwald. I think crop rotation might be better here, I will personally play Oath of Nissa

The problem with Traverse is at the beginning it might be worse then Rotation and the moment you have delirium it is another GSZ. I do not know if this is worth playing. Maybe someone has a different opinion/experience.

Did anyone tried NicFit in the new meta?

Thread Information