Page 51 of 208 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 4156

Thread: [Primer] Nic Fit

Re: [Primer] Nic Fit

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Speaking of a little bit of everything - what are your thoughts on Vizier of the Menagerie + Worldly Tutor?

That'd effectively allow you to "GSZ" for Ranger of Eos/Confidant. Slip a Shriekmaw into the list and you can GSZ for Terror.
    Doesn't seem worth it. It still requires burning a GSZon Vizier, then another GSZ basically to break even. Meaning it needs to hit 3 times to come out ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Speaking of a little bit of everything - what are your thoughts on Vizier of the Menagerie + Worldly Tutor?

That'd effectively allow you to "GSZ" for Ranger of Eos/Confidant. Slip a Shriekmaw into the list and you can GSZ for Terror.
    I think brainstorm would be more consistant and do not CD even without vizir

I played my most updated BUG list last night at a local store to a 3-1 finish. There is a good mix of decks within the 20 - 30 players who play here each week for Thursday night Legacy. Here is the list:

Maindeck (60):

4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Bayou
    1 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    3 Forest
    2 Swamp
    1 Island
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Volrath's Stronghold

4 Veteran Explorer
    2 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Baleful Strix
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Meren of Clan Nel Toth
    1 Thragtusk

1 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Nissa, Vital Force
    1 Ob Nixilis Reignited

2 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Pernicious Deed

4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Maelstrom Pulse

Sideboard:

1 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Damnation
    1 Fatal Push
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Invasive Surgery
    2 Lost Legacy
    1 Negate
    1 Reclamation Sage
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 To the Slaughter
    1 Toxic Deluge

How the night went...

W 2-1 vs Miracles

I made sure G1 not to use Veteran Explorer to ramp him. I eventually got both Nissa and Ob Nixilis out and Deed solidified the win. I played Lost Legacy both games 2 and 3 naming Jace and Entreat respectively due to what was in my hand. Jace and Entreat are their two most explosive cards and IMO are the cards you should be naming first with any Planeswalker heavy version. If you are playing more creatures, Terminus is probably one of the first choices. For those who have played Lost Legacy against Miracles, I would love to get your input. G3 was similar to G1 except that I was gaining 6 mana a turn with Carpet.

W 2-0 vs Burn

You always want to get Veteran Explorer out ASAP and block their Guide/creature to try and get to 6 mana to GSZ for Thragtusk. If they play Sulfuric Vortex (I hit one with Cabal Therapy G1), just Decay or Deed it before playing Thragtusk or Ooze.

L 0-2 vs Elves

This guy is a very skilled Elves player. In G1, he combo'd T3 and never hesitated once on what to do. It didn't help that I kept a hand of Bayou, Stronghold, Explorer, Decay, Witness, Thragtusk, Ob Nixilis on the play in the dark. I probably should have mulligan'd. I guess I took a chance hoping he was not playing a fast combo deck. G2 I had a great hand and followed a Deed with Damnation. I also played Lost Legacy naming Natural Order. He top decked GSZ however and got Ooze when there were about 9 creatures in our graveyards and I never drew any removal the next 5 turns. Post sideboard, I feel this match up is slightly in our favor.

W 2-0 vs Soldier Stompy

In G1, he played a T1 Thalia, Heretic Cathar. I followed with a forest and Explorer (into play tapped). Two turns later, I blocked his Thalia helping me get mana to play Deed. Fortunately, he never played Suppression Field and I wiped the board. I then played Liliana and Ob Nixilis which were both fantastic. In G2, he got me down to 4 and I honestly thought I was going to lose. I was able to play Damnation followed by Thragtusk which helped me stabilize. He eventually had 3 Suppression Fields out but it was too late.

In conclusion, the deck is a blast to play and feels competitive against a mix field. I was on both Junk and 4 Color Nic Fit before switching to BUG and while those decks can be more explosive (with Siege Rhino and Sigarda), I absolutely love the consistency blue offers with both Strix and Jace. The only two cards in the maindeck I am considering removing are Volrath's Stronghold and Collective Brutality. I honestly never use Stronghold when it is out and with the amount of Deathrite's in legacy, I think it should just be another fetch. Meren IMO plays the same role and is more efficient. I decided to try Brutality instead of a 4th GSZ (there aren't as many good targets in BUG compared to Junk/4 Color). While I never drew it last night, I will probably keep it in for the time being. Ironically, burn and elves are two of the best match ups for it. For those who play Stronghold and/or Brutality in BUG, I would love to get your thoughts and would be happy to discuss any other card choices.

PS: This was the first time I actually played Ob Nixilis (instead of a 2nd Nissa) and it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Amulet of the HangingLamp View Post

W 2-1 vs Miracles

I made sure G1 not to use Veteran Explorer to ramp him. I eventually got both Nissa and Ob Nixilis out and Deed solidified the win. I played Lost Legacy both games 2 and 3 naming Jace and Entreat respectively due to what was in my hand. Jace and Entreat are their two most explosive cards and IMO are the cards you should be naming first with any Planeswalker heavy version. If you are playing more creatures, Terminus is probably one of the first choices. For those who have played Lost Legacy against Miracles, I would love to get your input. G3 was similar to G1 except that I was gaining 6 mana a turn with Carpet.

I always name Jace then entrete. Doesn't matter what you are winning with if they can't win the game.

My first name is almost always Terminus. Jace can't do much on his own. When you're free to overextend Jace isn't much of a threat.

Is there a breakdown on the number of mana ramp/card draw that rhino fit should be running? I run a list that looks like this but bit feels kind of anemic.

3 forest
    3 swamp
    1 plains
    4 verdant
    3 windswept
    1 flats
    1 savannah
    2 bayou
    2 scrub land
    1 tower

3 vet
    3 drs
    1 ooze
    2 tracker
    1 courser
    1 witness
    3 rhino
    1 sigarda

4 therapy
    3 top
    3 path
    1 innocent blood
    2 thoughtsieze
    2 decay
    1 diabolic edict
    3 deed
    4 green sun

1 nissa vf

I'm having a lot of trouble with consistency and having the deck feel like there's any actual power to it. I find that making one play a turn as this deck is wont to do is not cutting it. What could I run that isn't se fit that helps with the consistency of drawing cards without turning the deck into a mess?

Quote Originally Posted by removedfromgame View Post
    Is there a breakdown on the number of mana ramp/card draw that rhino fit should be running? I run a list that looks like this but bit feels kind of anemic.

3 forest
    3 swamp
    1 plains
    4 verdant
    3 windswept
    1 flats
    1 savannah
    2 bayou
    2 scrub land
    1 tower

3 vet
    3 drs
    1 ooze
    2 tracker
    1 courser
    1 witness
    3 rhino
    1 sigarda

4 therapy
    3 top
    3 path
    1 innocent blood
    2 thoughtsieze
    2 decay
    1 diabolic edict
    3 deed
    4 green sun

1 nissa vf

I'm having a lot of trouble with consistency and having the deck feel like there's any actual power to it. I find that making one play a turn as this deck is wont to do is not cutting it. What could I run that isn't se fit that helps with the consistency of drawing cards without turning the deck into a mess?
    Your list isn't far off from the more standard junk lists. Most run 21 or 22 lands, with either 2 Phyrexian Tower or a mix of 1 Tower, 1 Stronghold. 4 Vets is pretty standard just so that you see it as much in opening hand as possible - you simply have to rely on Top + shuffle effects to not draw them late game when their usefulness is exhausted.

You do seem to be lacking finishing power. I would suggest adding both another threat, plus adding some sort of grinding enabler to help push you ahead. This could be DL Dromoka + Meren, for instance. A couple of Painful Truths. Or more walkers (did Sorin, GN fall out of favor?). Less usual ideas, just to spur some thought - adding 1 Stoneforge + Batterskull + another equipment. You don't have to go all-in, and Sigarda with just about any equipment is a beautiful sight to behold.

As far as cuts to make room, I try to recommend ~6 spot removal alongside 3 Deed. So you could cut an innocent blood or edict. Thoughtseizes in the main do help against combo game 1, but you could also remove those in order to add some more oomph. 3 Decay 3 Path isn't a bad place to be - but also, including Collective Brutality might mitigate the effect of losing Thoughtseize. Another source of cuts could be going down to 1-2 DRS. I'm not a big fan of too many DRS in junk lists. BUG lists are an entirely different matter.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

@removedfromgame: Normally I'd love to help, but I'm about to leave on vacation for 2 weeks so I don't really have the time.

See you guys back in 2 weeks!
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Aug 2014
    Central New York

@removedfromgame: You should reconsider some choices. As-is, you're very reactionary and building towards a lackluster end-game. @square_two actually recommends a lot of good options to consider.
    Personally, I think you need cut 2 thoughtseize, 1 blood, 1 edict because they don't entirely jive with your strategy. Speaking of, your end-game is (for lack of a better word) "weak" because it's nearly non-existant.

Lands: 21 lands is doable. 22 is the consensus (barring some strange list). I'd advocate for utility stuff like tower+stronghold, karakas, kessig. I'd drop a basic and reconsider the total number of fetches.

4:2 is common with vets:drs. I've done okay with 3:3 before. Your call. The sweet spot for me has been 4 vet / 2 drs / 1 sakura. Looks weird on paper but it's remarkably solid.
    Trade Courser for Sakura, who is unusually dependable.

@square_two is right about spot removal. The ballpark of 6 is a nice starting point. Ultimately you need to adjust to your meta. For the larger meta, I'd recommend running 3 path + 2 decay + 1 [pulse/vindicate]. Support this with 3 deed (or 2 deed + 1 additional spot removal for a faster meta...but this is a debatable). If you don't want the raw flexibility of pulse/vind, you could run Toxic D (creature hordes) or To the Slaughter (raw upside is a nice 2-for-1). This configuration is a peg above your innocent blood, d. edict approach on almost every level.

For Junk, Thoughtseize isn't needed (unless your meta is combo heavy). There's +2 slots. I am the first one to say I don't think Tracker is the bee's knees. I'm a heretic on in this thread. I acknowledge his upside, but honestly he doesn't do enough for me. I consider his upside to be toeing the line of "win more". Others find him incredible. Guess I don't have the magic touch. I'd confidently shave down your 2x Tracker to 1x. We need another dedicated beater. Sensei's Top is another debated slot in lists. I prefer running 3. Others enjoy 2. Honestly, I never have luck with just 2 (ie; never in my opener or drawn throughout a game). For arguments' sake, we can shave 1x Top from the list to gain yet another spot. A sacred cow I'm willing to slaughter is Ooze. I think he's overrated in the meta, despite DRS being very popular. I'll keep him in this draft with a big ol' question mark.

22 lands (21 + arbor also a possibility)

4 vet
    2 drs
    1 sakura
    1 ooze?
    1 tracker
    1 witness
    3 rhino
    1 sigarda
    /14

3 path
    2 decay
    1 m. pulse
    3 deed
    /9

4 green sun
    4 therapy
    2 top
    1 nissa vf
    /11

4 open = 60.

This is what I'd consider "stock" Junk-Fit as of late April 2017. That's 56 cards choices.
    Personally, I'd run top #3 in place of tracker then add 4 wincons.
    Some may advocate for raw card draw (truths, etc) + thragtusks. Not a bad call, though Tusk isn't an auto-win and is easily chumped.
    Titans are an option. Value-city. Speaking of grindy, value plans, may I interest you in the slow-but-riculous Recurring Nightmare? Perhaps SFM? Feeling like a baller -- try Baneslayers.

Lord Rhino is still strong. He doesn't give a shit about Leovold and DRS. Trample is BIG. Nevertheless, 3 rhinos and sigarda won't win the day.
    You need something else to win games. 1 Nissa isn't bad. Lots of folks like her. I wouldn't rule out Liliana of the Veil, but there are a ton of staples in the format that give her a hard time. Then again, she is never a bad play on turn 3.

3 forest
    3 swamp
    1 plains
    4 verdant
    3 windswept
    1 flats
    1 savannah
    2 bayou
    2 scrub land
    1 tower

3 vet
    3 drs
    1 ooze
    2 tracker
    1 courser
    1 witness
    3 rhino
    1 sigarda

4 therapy
    3 top
    3 path
    1 innocent blood
    2 thoughtsieze
    2 decay
    1 diabolic edict
    3 deed
    4 green sun

1 nissa vf

I think many people here have brought up good points.

In terms of Rhino/Junk Fit I think you really should be looking at the deck like a grindy midrange deck that stabilizes and pivots the game in its favor through better cards and CA.

On this topic I think CA is key for Rhino Fit to win. If you durdle to much and land one Rhino most legacy decks will be able to handle that just fine. But it is through overwhelming the opponent with threat after threat that one of them sticks and wins the game. I believe in legacy a Rhino/Sigarda/Nissa should be able to close out a game.

The other Nic Fit variants seem to benefit more from top imo. Top is a fantastic card. It's great filtering. If you are looking for control/lock/combo pieces top is your guy and nothing does it better. But I think Rhino Fit more than anything would be happy to see a GSZ/Rhino/Thragtusk/Combat Walker/Tracker/Sigarda etc.. really anything that is a threat. This is why I run 2x Tracker, 2x Painful Truths and 2x SDT. To me the CA has been better than the filtering. The filtering is still very important to our plan but I prefer extra Tracker/Truths in Rhino fit then an extra top.

I would look at trying to fit in a Thragtusk and even a Kaya Ghost Assassin. Kaya has been very good for me in this shell. Early her -2 starts to gain lots of CA. It can blink Thrag/Rhino/Witness/Rec Sage for lots of value that takes over. Even her drain is relevant imo. It's lifegain and reach. I have closed out games with Kaya where after 1-2 Rhino, them fetching, and a few hits from our creatures or DRS activations Kaya is able to just eek out the last few points of life loss needed.

Combo MU aside, I see our game plan priorities as such:

1) set up lands fast to cast big/impactful things.

2) have early interaction (removal/therapy) and sweepers (Deed/Deluge) to have a "pivot" point in games. This Pivot point is where we stabilize and we don't have to fear an immediate death from the opponent and we can really start to be proactive.

3) Start using our Truths/Trackers to gain CA over the opponent so that they can't keep up with us and start casting our bigger threats that just win the game.

I personally feel really comfortable with JUNK Fit but still find variants like Sneak Fit tricky to pilot. Take what I say with a grain of salt. Test out what others have said here and see what works for you.

3 forest
    3 swamp
    1 plains
    4 verdant
    3 windswept
    1 flats
    1 savannah
    2 bayou
    2 scrub land
    1 tower

3 vet
    3 drs
    1 ooze
    2 tracker
    1 courser
    1 witness
    3 rhino
    1 sigarda

4 therapy
    3 top
    3 path
    1 innocent blood
    2 thoughtsieze
    2 decay
    1 diabolic edict
    3 deed
    4 green sun

1 nissa vf

There's three ways to go about this question.
    1. Lower your curve to play more cards with less mana.
    2. Increase your mana to play more cards with more mana.
    3. Increase the impact from your cards so that each card goes further.

You've already ruled out point #1 so that just leaves #2 and #3. Lets focus on increasing mana first.

Veteran Explorer costs 1 and is worth a permanent +2 mana when it triggers. It's the best mana boost we have. Next is Phyrexian Tower which is also a 2 mana producer. Most run 1, but if you're looking to maximize mana production you need to be running more. After that is DRS which is a temporary +1 mana (eventually it will die), and after that is Sakura Tribe Elder which is a permanent +1. I agree with what others said earlier 4 Vet, 2 DRS, 1 Tribe Elder works very well and generally wants 7 basics to go with it. I would also recommend Crop Rotation, if nothing else it's a great way to get early Towers.

Vet/Therapy is a medium strength play, if you don't have stronger openings than that, I think you're doing something wrong. The stronger opening is Vet/Tower which generates 5 mana on T2. It's still 5 mana with Crop Rotation too, so maximizing the chance of that happening is good.

When it comes to your threats, if you're playing a Rhino game, you need a higher threat density. With just 3 Rhinos, they're all going to die and you'll be left with nothing to show for it. Make room for it by cutting some of that removal. You have 16 spells that interact right now, 12-13 is usually better. With those extra slots add more threats.

Now for #3 on my list. Tracker and Courser are pretty low impact cards for the type of game you're playing. You need quality not incremental advantage (especially Tracker where you don't have the mana to pop clues and use them right away). Look for more 4-6 drops.

Update on the paper league I'm playing. We've all been pretty lazy about actually playing our matches so they're happening slowly but I'm currently sitting at 7-0 and probably locked for T4.

I'm really liking how my list performs.

With summer coming I'll be out of school and doing a lot of travel for work. I generally like to travel light so I doubt I'll bring all my cards with me. Currently debating between a Junk or BG build for the summer. Alternatively, I just picked up an Underground Sea a few weeks ago so in theory I have a proper BUG manabase (though I don't own FoW's yet) so if something seems interesting there I would be willing to take the plunge.

In BG, I would just want to keep doing what I've been doing.
    In Junk, I would want to develop my Ranger of Eos plan a bit further. Walking Ballista adds a whole new dimension to the card. Alternatively, SFM seems interesting.
    In BUG, Trinket Mage interests me in BUG more than anything else... again Walking Ballista is pretty cool, but there was already a similar effect from Engineered Explosives.

Quote Originally Posted by Brael View Post
    Update on the paper league I'm playing. We've all been pretty lazy about actually playing our matches so they're happening slowly but I'm currently sitting at 7-0 and probably locked for T4.

I'm really liking how my list performs.

With summer coming I'll be out of school and doing a lot of travel for work. I generally like to travel light so I doubt I'll bring all my cards with me. Currently debating between a Junk or BG build for the summer. Alternatively, I just picked up an Underground Sea a few weeks ago so in theory I have a proper BUG manabase (though I don't own FoW's yet) so if something seems interesting there I would be willing to take the plunge.

In BG, I would just want to keep doing what I've been doing.
    In Junk, I would want to develop my Ranger of Eos plan a bit further. Walking Ballista adds a whole new dimension to the card. Alternatively, SFM seems interesting.
    In BUG, Trinket Mage interests me in BUG more than anything else... again Walking Ballista is pretty cool, but there was already a similar effect from Engineered Explosives.
    Ranger of Eos? Walking ballista?? I need to hear more!

Quote Originally Posted by Luthiereisfun View Post
    Ranger of Eos? Walking ballista?? I need to hear more!
    Ranger of Eos is a 4 mana 3 for 1, and puts a lot of power on the field. It's a very powerful card in SE style builds. The downside being that you can't tutor for it. I've played it as a 1 of a few times and always liked it, but I think it's possible to play it as a 2 of for more consistency.

Ballista is just the latest interesting thing to tutor, I've held off on it because Ballista, were $25 each which was too much, but at the $9 they are now I might be more willing to pick one up.

So after losing to my friend on czech pile because he always saw he jaces(I dont think this matchup should be bad for us, I think its good but could be wrong) I brewed up a pile with the idea of playing 4 jaces and winning with jace led to some interesting ideas. The first thing I decided I wanted to do is play innocent blood cause that card always seems like it should be good, especially with veteran explorer. So I only have creatures that I don't mind saccing maindeck. The next thing was that I wanted to play force to protect him and enough blue cards for force of will. So taking a note from other blue decks I decided to run 2 ponders at first and later up'd the count to 4 trimming 2 lands down to 20 because I was flooding a bit much for my liking. The sideboard is a bit of crapshoot because IDK what I really need there as with finals coming up I havent had time to just jam a bunch of games so I just threw some stuff together.

I figured you guys might like this and have some suggestions for it.

Innocent BUG

Creatures 9
    4 Veteran Explorer
    4 Baleful Strix
    1 Eternal Witness

Planeswalkers 6
    1 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
    4 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Nissa, Vital Force

Spells 22
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Innocent Blood
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    3 Force of will

Enchantments 3
    3 pernicious Deed

Lands 20
    2 Bayou
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Underground Sea
    2 Forest
    2 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Volrath's Stronghold

Sideboard
    3 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 To the Slaughter
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Painful Truths
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Nissa, Vital Force
    1 Force of Will
    2 Counterspell

I like a Garruk Relentless in place of Ashiok. That list looks weird, I wish you could still play even just 1 GSZ.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    I like a Garruk Relentless in place of Ashiok. That list looks weird, I wish you could still play even just 1 GSZ.

I personally have never been impressed with relentless.

I found that even with 9 green sun targets that they were very often dead in the late game so I dont really want 1 with 5 targets.

Quote Originally Posted by mstephenson View Post
    I personally have never been impressed with relentless.

I found that even with 9 green sun targets that they were very often dead in the late game so I dont really want 1 with 5 targets.
    I didn't mean in the main for GSZ, I should have specified. I come from shardless and the Rock with a good opinion of Garruk, but perhaps that's just me. I just like that he can pop a Veteran Explorer and then flip. I think that is strong, but I haven't got this built yet, so I am on the outside looking in on this one.

Aes Sídhe
    Sep 2010
    Williamsport, PA.

Don't undersell Ashiok. The card can be extremely (and deceptively) powerful.

And yeah, Czech Pile should be a fine matchup. The deck is very reminiscent of Deathblade, which has historically been one of our best matchups.

Did some light testing with Nyx Fit this weekend, mostly preboarded games.

Started with running 2 Groves and Starfield, 1 less Decay, 2 less Souls than what was below.

Burn 1-2 - Collective Brutality and E Witness -> Brutality won me a game. Not really much to say about it :/
    D&T 1-3 - Seemed odd how bad this seemed...maybe it was just variance. He was on a non-recruiter version with some Crusaders and couple Vryn Wingmare. The larger than usual number of non-creature spells meant that Thalia + Wingmare was a nightmare. Did a couple postboard games and it was 1-2 which still feels really odd.

Then I took out the Groves and Starfield, upping Decay count and adding more Souls. Groves felt so clunky and really unnecessary in game 1 - the more Souls then the more chance for Evo Leap working well, and I did see it work well a few times.

After those changes, beat D&T 2-0 (pre then post), and beat Elves 2-1 (pre - he had some poor draws though). Miracles 1-1 (both pre, his list was mentor heavy), though one of the games went long and I screwed up with my 2nd Rector target decision which lost me the game when he ran away with a Mentor token. Need more practice, but the way both games played out was very encouraging.

The power of Evo Leap is really there with Souls.

4 Veteran Explorer
    1 Eternal Witness
    4 Academy Rector
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons

4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Collective Brutality
    3 Pernicious Deed

3 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Lingering Souls