Page 7 of 209 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Nic Fit

Re: [Primer] Nic Fit

Hello Nic Fit Thread, I am a long time Nic Fit player that likes to try out some weird stuff. I was playing a lot of BUG Walker lists, and this is a fusion of some of those lists and some of my other projects.

Land (22)
    2x Bayou
    2x Forest
    1x Haven of the Spirit Dragon
    2x Island
    2x Misty Rainforest
    1x Plains
    1x Polluted Delta
    1x Savannah
    2x Swamp
    1x Tropical Island
    1x Underground Sea
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    1x Wasteland
    1x Windswept Heath

Creature (13)
    4x Baleful Strix
    4x Deathrite Shaman
    1x Dragonlord Dromoka
    1x Dragonlord Ojutai
    3x Veteran Explorer

Planeswalker (6)
    3x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1x Nissa, Vital Force
    1x Ob Nixilis Reignited
    1x Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

Sorcery (6)
    4x Cabal Therapy
    1x Life from the Loam
    1x Raven's Crime

Enchantment (3)
    3x Pernicious Deed

Artifact (3)
    3x Sensei's Divining Top

Instant (7)
    3x Abrupt Decay
    4x Intuition

Sideboard (15)
    1x Flusterstorm
    1x Garruk Relentless
    1x Glen Elendra Archmage
    1x Golgari Charm
    1x Negate
    1x Pernicious Deed
    3x Pulse of Murasa
    3x Surgical Extraction
    1x The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale (This is likely wrong, I'm cutting it, but leaving it here because it was in the list I played)
    1x Thoughtseize
    1x To the Slaughter

After playing three leagues, with quite reasonable success, (5-0, 4-1, 3-2), I think this is something some of you may be interested in. The inevitability afforded by the intuition package is awesome, and being able to start picking apart hands with loam/crime has been amazing against combo decks.

When I put this deck together I thought it would play a bit clunky, but it has performed extremely well so far, which is why I wanted to share it with you all!

It really should have been 5-0, 5-0 and 3-2. My 2nd topdecked Bolt was just bizzaredly lucky 😊

@Stryfo: Looks pretty good. Have you had any trouble with graveyard strategies? Your list looks like it'd gain strength against combo and miracles, but have some trouble dealing with opposing Deathrites, Lilianas and Punishing Fires.

Some people on the Nic Fit subreddit were discussing Protean Hulk in Sneak Attack builds. Arianrhod, did you ever give him a try / is there an infinite we can fit in without too much trouble?

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Navsi View Post
    Some people on the Nic Fit subreddit were discussing Protean Hulk in Sneak Attack builds. Arianrhod, did you ever give him a try / is there an infinite we can fit in without too much trouble?
    How many slots would that take..? And how big is the risk of the combo falling apart when drawing combo pieces..?

It's probably harder to pull off and costs more cards than Emrakul to the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

stryfo:

i played a similar deck and was wondering:

how come phyrexian tower didn't make the cut for you?
    have you tried running the new emrakul in a build like this?

thanks,
    -Rob
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    How many slots would that take..? And how big is the risk of the combo falling apart when drawing combo pieces..?

It's probably harder to pull off and costs more cards than Emrakul to the face.
    - Hulk can turn into Emrakul / just get value, if you fetch Fierce Empath
    - It gives you permanent board presence (by fetching, say, Inferno Titan) if you can't attack.

I don't think there are any combos that are worth playing, though, so it'd just be there for value - I'd rather play a second Bellower if I had the slots, personally. It's a pity all the combos require white.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryfo View Post
    The inevitability afforded by the intuition package is awesome
    The list looks like a ton of fun (which let's be honest, is half the reason why all of us play nic fit). Out of curiosity, what does a *typical* intuition for you look like?

A second question I have, because I've been toying with adding p-fire to my junk list, why not run red? It provides p-fires, sneaks, D-Lord Atarka, bolt, and molten vortex. Not that I'm doubting your list, I just like red :D.

- Hulk can turn into Emrakul / just get value, if you fetch Fierce Empath
    - It gives you permanent board presence (by fetching, say, Inferno Titan) if you can't attack.

I don't think there are any combos that are worth playing, though, so it'd just be there for value - I'd rather play a second Bellower if I had the slots, personally. It's a pity all the combos require white.
    Would require a second Phyrexian Tower instead of the Stronghold, I think. Would be a shame to see the Hulk STP'd. I've been running 2 Towers ever since I cut Primeval Titan...still unsure if it is much of a gain. Having some explosive mana after landing Vet, or having Empath able to tutor something and then next turn reliably cast it, has been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    Would require a second Phyrexian Tower instead of the Stronghold, I think. Would be a shame to see the Hulk STP'd. I've been running 2 Towers ever since I cut Primeval Titan...still unsure if it is much of a gain. Having some explosive mana after landing Vet, or having Empath able to tutor something and then next turn reliably cast it, has been nice.
    Yeah. That's why I've been liking Distended Mindbender in my sideboard - Empath curves into it really well and you don't need six mana to get anything done.

@Navsi: DRS is not really a problem because of how small the graveyard relevant part of the deck is. Pfire is also not a big deal because of how big Dromoka is, also, postboard we get surgicals to deal with it. Liliana can be a problem, but the planeswalkers of the deck alongside loam are pretty good at keeping you ahead, and we have abrupt decays to just kill her.

@Kobra: I didn't play red because the mana is already easily the weakest part of the deck, a red build could be done for sure, but it's a different build. As for the typical intuition, it depends, sometimes you go for 3 deeds, or 3 Jaces, other times you get loam+haven+dragon or loam+land+raven's crime. Cabal therapy and wasteland are also pretty sweet intuition targets.

@mistercakes: No phyrexian tower because I'm trying to make the deck function as well as possible without the veteran explorers, and tower without explorer is just awkward too often.

I'll try to pick up the few pieces to run it at my local this week. The dragon fit, I mean. Have not been having very good success lately with sneak fit online, although I do think it does very well against the Leovold BUG decks. Screw Burn lol.

At first I think I wanted an E Witness or something in there to recur graveyard stuff. But Nissa does that just fine, and deck doesn't want GSZ anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    Have not been having very good success lately with sneak fit online, although I do think it does very well against the Leovold BUG decks. Screw Burn lol.
    Try running a couple of Huntmaster of the Fells. He's a good value creature, pressures Miracles, two bodies for CT, ruins Burn.

So should Sneakyfit run nowdays some other lands than Grove and get rid of punishing fires? Wondering what kinda Nicfit to build and looking at Sneaky and something more like Rhino.dec
    "Everything is better topless"

Quote Originally Posted by l33twash0r View Post
    So should Sneakyfit run nowdays some other lands than Grove and get rid of punishing fires? Wondering what kinda Nicfit to build and looking at Sneaky and something more like Rhino.dec
    It seems up for personal preference right now, I don't think there is enough bulk of matches between both to really say. Arianrhod sill enjoys the PFire package as far as I know, but I and at least volrathxp have moved to Bolts. Lands get filled in with an extra fetch, basic, and Taiga.

If you are around a lot of the new Leo BUG deck, I think PFires lose some further advantage. But if you have a lot of Elves or D&T in your meta then PFires could do more work.

Due to Groves' price, I'd recommend Bolts first for someone building the deck. Get plenty of reps in and then decide if you want to invest in them.

Some people are on Bolt. Some people are on Punishing Fire. I've been liking a split of Kolaghan's Command and Fatal Push, personally.

What do you guys do against 12-post? I matched up against that and it was a slow inevitable grind to the end game where they go way over the top. I lost 2-0 to a Bant show and tell version (despite the fact that both games I was able to discard their Show and Tells) to a hardcast Emrakul.

Second game I boarded in Lost Legacy and Edict but it didn't really make a difference because of Karakas.

Felt like I could never end the game early enough (the decks isn't really built for that anyway) and there was no way to deal with the inevitable Eldrazi beatdown.

Other than that it was a pretty fun night - just a casual 8 man four rounder but I went up against a couple BUG decks that I was able to grind out (although both ended in draws because of time it felt like a win even if not technically). And my other matchup was against an Aluren deck where I started the second game T1: therapy t2: vet/therapy/lost legacy for Aluren. My opponents reaction was pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Blood View Post
    What do you guys do against 12-post?
    Lose.

Alternatively, play a list with a combo finish and try and go off faster than them, or run Blood Moon or similar hate. Preferably both.

May 2013
    Paris, France

I wonder whether someone noticed :

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=14544&d=287256&f=LE

Budget list (land wise) but there are a couple of interesting ideas:

- No Primetime -> replaced by Ruric
    - 24 lands with 10 mountains (I recall vouching for a 10 mountain build to cope with color issue)
    - 3 CT MD - 1 in the side.
    - Only 3 GSZ none in the side.
    - Interesting take on the SB options.

Still, the manabase seems to be awful but there is definitely some ideas.

Lose.

Alternatively, play a list with a combo finish and try and go off faster than them, or run Blood Moon or similar hate. Preferably both.
    When I play junkfit, I run a single tagia in the main, and 3 bloodmoons in the board, against Post and Lands it is honestly your only way to win.

Nov 2015
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by moseby View Post
    When I play junkfit, I run a single tagia in the main, and 3 bloodmoons in the board, against Post and Lands it is honestly your only way to win.
    How have you liked the moons generally?

Worth noting that 12-post is a better match for SneakFit than most Fits. The look on an opponent's face when they show and tell and you drop in Sneak Attack or Emrakul is priceless.

Thread Information