Page 94 of 209 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144194 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 4171

Thread: [Primer] Nic Fit

Re: [Primer] Nic Fit

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Or, you know, Verdurous Gearhulk. It's a nice 5 mana GSZ'able 8/8 trample dude that only dies to StP. Simple and clean. It's pretty much a 1 mana cheaper Broodmate Dragon.
    I like my giant haymaker finishers to not die to Kolaghan's Command, thanks all the same.

(it also dies to Liliana, Dismember and Diabolic Edict, for what it's worth).

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

I've yet to encounter my first Kolaghan's Command, but sure.

And apart from Sigarda pretty much anything dies to Liliana/Dismember/Edict (and since when are those cards problems for Nic Fit anyways?).
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

May 2013
    Paris, France

Kalonian Hydra is also a very good finisher.

As far as Nic Fit's dynamic is involved, I think it is better than Verdurous Gearhulk.

I've yet to encounter my first Kolaghan's Command, but sure.

And apart from Sigarda pretty much anything dies to Liliana/Dismember/Edict (and since when are those cards problems for Nic Fit anyways?).
    I hit the damn card all the time.

Creatures with ETBs that give card advantage or multiple bodies (Huntmaster, Titania, Thragtusk, etc) are significantly less cold to spot removal than big dumb beaters, which was my point.

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Navsi View Post
    I hit the damn card all the time.

Creatures with ETBs that give card advantage or multiple bodies (Huntmaster, Titania, Thragtusk, etc) are significantly less cold to spot removal than big dumb beaters, which was my point.
    Sure, but at some point big dumb beaters either get too big to get handled by spot removal (that is not StP/PtE) or get big enough to offer benefits you wouldn't have w/ multiple bodies (an 8/8 facing 2 5/5s lets you safely block them to death, where 2 4/4s wouldn't). It's not that having multiple bodies is by definition better than having 1 huge body, it's all contextual. Is your opponent running StP/PtE, you want multiple bodies/EtB effects/other payoff. Is your opponent running Toxic Deluge, you might prefer that single big body.
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Sure, but at some point big dumb beaters either get too big to get handled by spot removal (that is not StP/PtE) or get big enough to offer benefits you wouldn't have w/ multiple bodies (an 8/8 facing 2 5/5s lets you safely block them to death, where 2 4/4s wouldn't). It's not that having multiple bodies is by definition better than having 1 huge body, it's all contextual. Is your opponent running StP/PtE, you want multiple bodies/EtB effects/other payoff. Is your opponent running Toxic Deluge, you might prefer that single big body.
    Sure, but pretty much every deck runs spot removal while plenty don't run sweepers. Almost every deck with Deluge in it also runs an edict effect of some form (either Liliana or Diabolic), or goes wider than we do with Pyromancer or Mentor (where multiple bodies help a lot). I see Kommand more than I see Bolt.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Kolaghan's Command is a huge part of the format at the moment (if you're playing at larger competitive events). If you're just playing at your LGS then sure, you might not see it as much as it's casual.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Dec 2013

I doubt people side them in against me. I just run Rhinos and Sigarda, no Gearhulk.
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

It's a 2-of maindeck in every 4c/Grixis pile at the moment, a pretty convincing argument against it.
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    It's a 2-of maindeck in every 4c/Grixis pile at the moment, a pretty convincing argument against it.
    You're shitting me.
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

You're shitting me.
    Not in the slightest, run through these lists.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetyp...r-levold#paper

A bunch of them even have three.

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    Not in the slightest, run through these lists.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetyp...r-levold#paper

A bunch of them even have three.
    Cool. The only Grixis we get at the LGS is Delver, not Control. And still - Command doesn't seem that great vs. Junk Fit.
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Cool. The only Grixis we get at the LGS is Delver, not Control. And still - Command doesn't seem that great vs. Junk Fit.
    It's good if you're playing Stoneforge or Gearhulk. Otherwise it's still probably going to stay in the deck, even just as a 'draw step, you discard, get back a relevant creature' which they're probably happy with.

@Leshrac82: You ever play paper Magic at, say, a local game store?
    No. That's why i always write that the games are on xmage. The next LGS is too far away and i have no friends who play magic any more - playing online is much easier, and i can get to a real samplesize much faster. I know there is some bias against the quality of the average xmage player, not completely undeserved, but most of the decks i'm facing are real decks and most of the players i'm facing are playing there a lot and have some experience (and the few real casual decks i'm seeing i'm just not counting). I doubt the average player at a local game store is significantly better than the average player on xmage, even though for bigger events it's probably very different.

I'm thinking about buying into Magic Online, but the only reason to do that would be to get better opponents, as software i think xmage is probably even better than Magic Online.

Evening Everyone,

I'm on Rhino fit, and came across GW Maverick today at my lgs. I always assumed that we had game against the fair decks but I ended up losing that one and never really felt hugely in control either.

Thoughts/play style when coming across this kind of deck?

Is it just familiarity with the match up and practice that could help?

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Kobra_D View Post
    Evening Everyone,

I'm on Rhino fit, and came across GW Maverick today at my lgs. I always assumed that we had game against the fair decks but I ended up losing that one and never really felt hugely in control either.

Thoughts/play style when coming across this kind of deck?

Is it just familiarity with the match up and practice that could help?
    Would you share your list?

Familiarity and practice always help. GW Maverick basically is like D&T with slightly bigger creatures and often a lands toolbox. Just be wary of the Dark Depths combo - some lists do play that. Oh, and fetch basics. Blanking their mana denial is important. Sweepers are what win you the day here. Wipe the board and turn the game around with Sigarda. They're a slow non blue deck - you should do fine against them. You go bigger and can answer whatever they throw at you.
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Would you share your list?

Familiarity and practice always help. GW Maverick basically is like D&T with slightly bigger creatures and often a lands toolbox. Just be wary of the Dark Depths combo - some lists do play that. Oh, and fetch basics. Blanking their mana denial is important. Sweepers are what win you the day here. Wipe the board and turn the game around with Sigarda. They're a slow non blue deck - you should do fine against them. You go bigger and can answer whatever they throw at you.
    Yeah, maybe it was just some poor draws. I ended up facing down a birds of paradise wearing batterskull after we traded so many resources before hand. G2 didn't even have enough time to finish *Kanye Shrug*.

I know everyone in the forums seems to feel comfortable with the D&T match up but I always feel it is super grindy and can easily slide away from me.

Overall the list is feeling good, matches decent with combo given 6 T1 discard spells, matches great against delver and even Eldrazi, I just never feel good sitting across SFM decks but I also don't think playing more pridemages/rec. sages isn't right.

//Creatures:
    4 Veteran Explorer
    2 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Tireless Tracker
    3 Siege Rhino
    1 Meren of clan Nel Toth
    1 Thragtusk
    1 Sigarda Host of Herons

//Enchantments:
    2 Pernicious Deed
    2 Sylvan Library

//Inst./Sorc.:
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize
    3 Green sun's zenith
    1 maelstrom pulse
    2 path to exile
    2 abrupt decay
    1 Diabolic Edict

//Lands:
    8 Basics
    8 Fetchlands
    3 Duals
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Volrath's Stronghold

//Sideboard:
    2 Crop Rotation
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Painful Truths
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Lost Legacy
    1 Dryad Militant
    1 Pernicious Deed
    2 Choke
    1 Glissa, the Traitor

Dec 2013

@Kobra_D: D&T can be grindy as hell, but Deed & Toxic Deluge are total blowouts vs. that deck. Take some beats in the early game, wipe the board and turn the game around. Clever and technical play are very important in that MU.

Couple of points:
    - Why a single Knight of the Reliquary? It doesn't do much for your list
    - Why a single Ghost Quarter? Same point as the Knight
    - Your manabase is unstable. You will lose more games to colourscrew than necessary. I'd go -2 basics (putting you @2 each, +2 fetch)
    - Bump GSZ up to 4
    - Your SB seems to be all over the place (and contain some odd choices). What MUs in your meta do you need to improve?
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Going up to 3 Pernicious Deeds might help quite a bit. Your mana base is also quite unstable and vulnerable to Port - I normally play 8 Fetchlands, 6 Basics, 5-6 duals and 2-3 utility lands (usually a Tower and a flex slot).

I'd swap the Thoughtseizes for Collective Brutality - still helps your combo matchup, but also kills Thalias and other similar junk that's pressuring you, and improves your Burn matchup significantly.

If you want to play KOTR, go deeper and play a Ranumap Excavator and Azusa, and swap one of your 5-drops for Titania. Otherwise I wouldn't bother. Scryb Ranger isn't bad either.

I think you would probably rather have a third Tracker than a third Rhino.

You should be playing 4 Zeniths. If you're playing Meren you might get good use out of a Dryad Arbor, also. It's also good with Ranger, Titania, Excavator and KOTR.

Maelstrom Pulse and Diabolic Edict are probably just worse than To The Slaughter. I'd drop them both for one TTS and a third Deed.

Basically, if you want to be standard fair abzan midrange, I would go with something like this:

-1 Pulse
    -1 Edict
    -1 KOTR
    -1 Rhino
    -1 Deathrite
    -2 Thoughtseize
    -2 Basics
    -1 GQ

+1 TTS
    +1 Deed
    +1 Zenith
    +1 Dryad Arbor
    +2 Collective Brutality
    +1 Tireless Tracker
    +1 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
    +2 Duals (Bayou, Savannah)
    +1 Fetchland (probably Misty or Foothills, since it fetches most of your duals and Arbor)

Jan 2014
    Perrysburg, Ohio

Just wondering why no one is talking about Nyx Fit anymore. Is it the general consensus that Nyx Fit is just a weaker variant of Nic Fit? I finally have all of the cards to play it and I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on how it's positioned now. I'm thinking about playing it in a tournament Saturday in a town where I have no idea of what the meta could be.

Thread Information