Page 95 of 208 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 4156

Thread: [Primer] Nic Fit

Re: [Primer] Nic Fit

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    Kalonian Hydra is also a very good finisher.

As far as Nic Fit's dynamic is involved, I think it is better than Verdurous Gearhulk.
    If you want to hit with an 8/8 use Chameleon Colossus. Pro black is pretty relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by wsurugby10 View Post
    Just wondering why no one is talking about Nyx Fit anymore. Is it the general consensus that Nyx Fit is just a weaker variant of Nic Fit? I finally have all of the cards to play it and I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on how it's positioned now. I'm thinking about playing it in a tournament Saturday in a town where I have no idea of what the meta could be.
    For the number of people playing it, it gets a disproportionate amount of discussion.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Just wondering why no one is talking about Nyx Fit anymore. Is it the general consensus that Nyx Fit is just a weaker variant of Nic Fit? I finally have all of the cards to play it and I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on how it's positioned now. I'm thinking about playing it in a tournament Saturday in a town where I have no idea of what the meta could be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brael View Post
    For the number of people playing it, it gets a disproportionate amount of discussion.
    It's usually the case that a few people are interested in experimenting with a certain approach and engage in discussions. It doesn't mean that the version being discussed is necessarily more successful or better, just that no one is currently working on other versions. The primer includes major results for different versions of Nic Fit, I don't think there have been major successes since Arianrhod last updated the primer, but I may be wrong. Of course Sensei's Divining Top was banned since then so historic results may be less relevant than they normally would be.

I don't think Nyx Fit has ever been considered one of the stronger versions [edit: unless you consider it an updated version of Rector Fit, which may have been], but it has been experimented with recently. I think it may have been good vs Miracles before the top ban and the enchantments are powerful so experimenting with it still seems relevant.

PS I think Leshrac's list seems really interesting, will try it.
    Last edited by pettdan; 07-27-2017 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    It's usually the case that a few people are interested in experimenting with a certain approach and engage in discussions. It doesn't mean that the version being discussed is necessarily more successful or better, just that no one is currently working on other versions. The primer includes major results for different versions of Nic Fit, I don't think there have been major successes since Arianrhod last updated the primer, but I may be wrong. Of course Sensei's Divining Top was banned since then so historic results may be less relevant than they normally would be.

I don't think Nyx Fit has ever been considered one of the stronger versions, but it has been experimented with recently. I think it may have been good vs Miracles before the top ban and the enchantments are powerful so experimenting with it still seems relevant.

PS I think Leshrac's list seems really interesting, will try it.
    I only know of one other person who has tested it as extensively (or moreso) than I have. We both don't really have any news for it, our last posted lists are about where we are still at. Evo Leap approach with Lingering Souls seems to be most consistent so far, with an Arbor as another source to get the engine going. Overwhelming Splendor is a great addition, the Dovescape package also still working fine. I will mention again that I had an overwhelmingly positive record against storm, specifically ANT. If that is dominant in your meta then Nyx Fit is a great version to play (perhaps roughly equal to BUG Fit's ability to handle it).

Most recent idea is to run a couple Ground Seals in the sideboard to combat Snapcaster, DRS, Surgical, Loam, reanimation targets, etc. I haven't been able to try this out yet. I've sold off my nic fit pieces online and my local legacy scene is not consistent, but I plan to run Nyx whenever I get the chance to and if anything changes then I'll be happy to report back.

Edit: I still believe the list to be powerful, the only challenge remaining (now that plenty of removal/interaction has been added) is optimal ways to improve the consistency. Splendor has helped, personally I think it reduces the need for either Cruel Reality or Sandwurm, which further lessens dead draws.

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    1) Why a single Knight of the Reliquary? It doesn't do much for your list
    2) Why a single Ghost Quarter? Same point as the Knight
    3) Your manabase is unstable. You will lose more games to colourscrew than necessary. I'd go -2 basics (putting you @2 each, +2 fetch)
    4) Bump GSZ up to 4
    5) Your SB seems to be all over the place (and contain some odd choices). What MUs in your meta do you need to improve?
    1) KotR is something I picked up about a week and a half ago. I'm honestly not feeling it but I wanted to give it a try.
    2) GQ main helps me with the unusual amount of lands players at my locals. Although, as I have been underwhelmed with KotR I think I am dropping this as well.
    3) It is SUPER unstable, I'm working my way towards more duals, but for right now this is where I'm at. I typically see the sweet spot being 6 basics in other lists, and as I come across 2 more Bayou they are slotting in real quick.
    4) I dropped GSZ down to 3 when I tested Vizier of the Menagerie and never actually bumped it back up. As a side note I found Vizier unhelpful. It very much became a win more card, when ahead it pulls plenty of weight has obvious synergy with the deck but at no point if behind does it really help you stabilize.
    5) It is a bit over the place true, I'm still trying to pin point what needs to be shored up, which is hard as I haven't really solidified the main at the moment. Once I handle the main deck then I will know exactly what is it's worst match ups and I can SB from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Navsi View Post
    a) I'd swap the Thoughtseizes for Collective Brutality - still helps your combo matchup, but also kills Thalias and other similar junk that's pressuring you, and improves your Burn matchup significantly.

b) If you want to play KOTR, go deeper and play a Ranumap Excavator and Azusa, and swap one of your 5-drops for Titania. Otherwise I wouldn't bother. Scryb Ranger isn't bad either.

c) I think you would probably rather have a third Tracker than a third Rhino.

d)Maelstrom Pulse and Diabolic Edict are probably just worse than To The Slaughter. I'd drop them both for one TTS and a third Deed.
    a) I was trying to keep the curve down which is why I went TS over CB (and also edict of TTS), but I think you may be right of the CB front. That is what I am going to try next.

b) I've been unimpressed with the whole lands package and I'm just going to take the whole thing out.

c) Really? I get Tracker is CA but I've always wanted Rhino. Maybe I just need to stick Tracker more and realize how good it really is.

d) I had TTS and deed and switched to pulse and edict. Completely a meta call, not a lot of planeswalkers. A decent amount of eldrazi and pyromancer tokens. But I have found myself wanting a 3rd deed enough that I think that is going back up.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobra_D View Post
    a) I was trying to keep the curve down which is why I went TS over CB (and also edict of TTS), but I think you may be right of the CB front. That is what I am going to try next.

b) I've been unimpressed with the whole lands package and I'm just going to take the whole thing out.

c) Really? I get Tracker is CA but I've always wanted Rhino. Maybe I just need to stick Tracker more and realize how good it really is.

d) I had TTS and deed and switched to pulse and edict. Completely a meta call, not a lot of planeswalkers. A decent amount of eldrazi and pyromancer tokens. But I have found myself wanting a 3rd deed enough that I think that is going back up.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

A tip for your curve, find a total CMC you're looking for. Add up your mana pips and use that. I shoot for ~70 with my Dark Confidant build and <75 in any SE build. In a traditional build I shoot for <85. You still have to look at the actual curve, but it's a quick and easy way to think about things. For example, by taking out To the Slaughter and using an edict, you save 1 pip, which you could then put into changing a Thoughtseize into a Brutality.

Tracker is very curve specific. It works best when you have low cost cards so that you can both pop clues and cast things on the same turn. I think it's better in non rhino builds because Rhino builds tend to push towards too many 4's and 5's. I've also not been impressed in Tracker builds that use lots of Deeds. Blowing up your clues isn't the worst thing in the world, but it's not great either. Lower curves that rely less on Deed utilize it better.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

A tip for your curve, find a total CMC you're looking for. Add up your mana pips and use that. I shoot for ~70 with my Dark Confidant build and <75 in any SE build. In a traditional build I shoot for <85. You still have to look at the actual curve, but it's a quick and easy way to think about things. For example, by taking out To the Slaughter and using an edict, you save 1 pip, which you could then put into changing a Thoughtseize into a Brutality.

Tracker is very curve specific. It works best when you have low cost cards so that you can both pop clues and cast things on the same turn. I think it's better in non rhino builds because Rhino builds tend to push towards too many 4's and 5's. I've also not been impressed in Tracker builds that use lots of Deeds. Blowing up your clues isn't the worst thing in the world, but it's not great either. Lower curves that rely less on Deed utilize it better.
    I just calculated the total CMC of my current Rhino list. I'm @71 (although I abuse the hell out of GSZ, not really sure if you can count that as a 1-mana card. Bump it up to a virtual 4.5 mana card and I'm @85).

@Kobra_D: I'm not sold yet on Vizier either. It does become better when you run 20-ish creatures and 4 or so Sylvan Library/Mirri's Guile. Drawing you an extra card every 3 turns or so and letting you know when (and when not) to shuffle away the top card of your library when both you and your opponent are in topdeck mode puts you at quite an advantage. As for Tracker/Rhino - I'm at 4 Rhino and 1 Tracker. But Vizier might turn into a Tracker in the long run, I'm not sure yet. I also have other replacements to test. Rhino is not going below 4 anywhere in the foreseeable future though.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Quote Originally Posted by Kobra_D View Post

I think keeping the overall curve down is great, but I'd rather run some 2-3 mana threats and 2-3 mana answers than 4-5 mana threats that are very hard to cast and 1-2 mana answers that don't reliably deal with some things. If you literally never see planeswalkers, then fair enough - I have to deal with JTMS at least once per event.

I dislike Rhino as a primary gameplan. Trading 1 for 1 with Push, countermagic and Swords is just hugely underwhelming a lot of the time. Tracker trades up in cards and is still a very fast clock while costing less mana. It makes your Burn matchup worse, but you can resolve that with more copies of Collective Brutality instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    I just calculated the total CMC of my current Rhino list. I'm @71 (although I abuse the hell out of GSZ, not really sure if you can count that as a 1-mana card. Bump it up to a virtual 4.5 mana card and I'm @85).
    Since I originally came up with the metrics to measure Bob damage I was counting GSZ as 1 for this purpose. In actual practice it's higher. Using your most recent posted list that I saw in post history I count you at 75. With my current SE build I'm at 72 so pretty similar (I also run 2 more lands than you, so on a non land average I might be even higher). Which illustrates the downfall of this method, I play a lot more 2's than you. It's good for quick comparisons, but bad for more indepth ones. Normal lists have always had a big problem with the 2 slot.

@Kobra_D: I'm not sold yet on Vizier either. It does become better when you run 20-ish creatures and 4 or so Sylvan Library/Mirri's Guile. Drawing you an extra card every 3 turns or so and letting you know when (and when not) to shuffle away the top card of your library when both you and your opponent are in topdeck mode puts you at quite an advantage. As for Tracker/Rhino - I'm at 4 Rhino and 1 Tracker. But Vizier might turn into a Tracker in the long run, I'm not sure yet. I also have other replacements to test. Rhino is not going below 4 anywhere in the foreseeable future though.
    I like Tracker, but I don't think I like it with your build. Instead I would go with a Nissa Vital Force if you want to go high, or a Nissa Vastwood Seer if you want to go low.

In my case, I'm in town for once (I've been all over the place for work the last 3 weeks, so no chances to play) so I can hopefully get a few casual Legacy games in tonight. Still another month before we'll have the people to start up a league. The local meta is pretty unfair, lots of blue combo but I'm generally not too bad against those lists. No idea how much testing I can get in tonight (probably just a couple games) but I am going to finally get a chance to try Navsi's Collective Brutality suggestion. This is the list I'll be playing.

Land 24
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Bayou
    5 Forest
    2 Swamp
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Karakas
    2 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    1 Dryad Arbor

Creatures 18
    4 Veteran Explorer
    2 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Tireless Tracker
    1 Courser of Kruphix
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Master of the Wild Hunt
    1 Meren of Clan Nel Toth

Spells 19
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Crop Rotation
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Collective Brutality
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Pernicious Deed
    1 Nissa, Vital Force

Sideboard 15
    1 The Gitrog Monster
    1 Nissa, Vital Force
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Horizon Canopy
    2 Sylvan Library
    2 Mirri's Guile
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Duress
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
    1 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Deathrite Shaman

Quote Originally Posted by Leshrac82 View Post
    Traverse needs Delirium (one more argument for Mox Diamond?), to set that up could be difficult. On that note, i was messing around with Grapple with the Past in some earlier builds. Cut it eventually, but if you go for Delirium it might be playable.
    Still brainstorming a bit (I might have a rough draft list later today) but another advantage to blue would be Nissa, Steward of Elements. It's a walker that can be cast off of lots of colorless mana to good effect, it's deck manipulation, and it can even be easily put into the GY to power Delirium (and dodge DRS eating the GY types too).

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Navsi View Post
    I think keeping the overall curve down is great, but I'd rather run some 2-3 mana threats and 2-3 mana answers than 4-5 mana threats that are very hard to cast and 1-2 mana answers that don't reliably deal with some things. If you literally never see planeswalkers, then fair enough - I have to deal with JTMS at least once per event.

I dislike Rhino as a primary gameplan. Trading 1 for 1 with Push, countermagic and Swords is just hugely underwhelming a lot of the time. Tracker trades up in cards and is still a very fast clock while costing less mana. It makes your Burn matchup worse, but you can resolve that with more copies of Collective Brutality instead.
    Even when trading w/ StP or Push, you still have the lifeswing. But that's also why you run 8 Rhinos - so you can just cast another one (and another). Besides, you start off w/ small fries to soak up removal. After that you wipe the board and go Rhino, Rhino Rhino.

I'm also a big fan of low mana half assed interaction. Speed kills. Or saves your ass. To each their own, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

I'm going to drop meren, kotr, swamp #3, and an pulse for eternal witness #2, deed #3, CoBru, and fetch #9.

The land becomes another dual when I come across one but for now marsh flats is mostly a better swamp. They might become Gsz but it's hard to cut the tusk.

As for the other cards it will just require more testing.

Thanks again for advice everyone.

Got a couple rounds in tonight, it went pretty poorly. Most notably was my round against Esper Stoneblade.

Game 1 I don't know what I'm up against (the player has his preferences, but a very expansive Legacy collection so he can be on literally anything) and lose the roll. I get 6 lands+Abrupt Decay and mulligan to 6, keep 3 lands, GSZ, Crop Rotation, and Brutality on the theory that the hand can probably handle a combo deck and if it's non combo I have time.

Opponent opens on a Tundra and I figure he's on the new Miracles deck. I open on Bayou, GSZ. He Brainstorms then Dazes me, untaps and Wastelands the Bayou. I play my other fetch and pass. He lands a DRS then over the next 2 turns a SFM and Batterskull. I hold on for a little while but ultimately die. I think I could have won the game had my Karakas been a Maze of Ith (a switch I make in games 2 and 3) but that opening was basically the worst possible outcome for me. It didn't help that my next 4 draws were lands either (2 of them being Bog/Arbor).

Game 2 my opponent mulligans to 6 while I keep a 7 of 2 lands, Brutality, Vet, GSZ x2, Dark Confidant. I T1 "blind" Therapy naming Brainstorm and hit 2 of them. The rest of my opponents hand is Force of Will, True Name Nemesis, Tropical Island, Misty Rainforest. Next turn I play the Vet which he doesn't FoW, flashback Therapy and take the TNN then follow it up with a Dark Confidant. I win a couple turns later after a Tireless Tracker gets me 5 clue tokens.

In game 3 I mulligan to 6 and keep something super risky. GSZ, Vet, Dryad Arbor, Tower, Meren, Crop Rotation. I keep it on the basis that I didn't really want to go to 5, and I had 2 draws (scry+draw step) to find a real land. With the right draws this hand could go places, but it's notably lacking in interaction for this match. I manage to hit a Windswept Heath and fetch a Bayou for Explorer. Opponent has the STP. I get stuck on land and lose.

Basically, I made the same mistake in games 1 and 3. I let my mana get disrupted. I believe both of them were winnable if I had taken better lines. These games were a good example of the risk entailed in fetching Bayou first. G1 is a bit more questionable because I was blindsided by the deck choice but in G3 I had a lot of opportunity to play around mana disruption. Fetching a forest, waiting a turn for the Veteran Explorer so I could sac that turn, keeping G up to defend myself against Wasteland, and even getting a DRS. Lots of mistakes to go around in that game.

In the end I played against Show and Tell, Stoneblade, and Tin Fins tonight. I was never happy with Brutality, 90% of the time the only mode I was interested in was Duress and if I want Duress I can already do that at a mana less.

I have been playing this Punishing Fit list for a few weeks, getting some experience with reps. Some odd choices I know. Looking for some critiques on my build. I definitely see the "EDH feel" but each choice was weighed heavily for my meta, Ruric Thar choking out blue players when they can't assemble a combo fast.

Creature (15)

1x Broodmate Dragon
    1x Eternal Witness
    1x Olivia Voldaren
    1x Primeval Titan
    1x Ramunap Excavator
    1x Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Thragtusk
    1x Thrun, the Last Troll
    1x Tireless Tracker
    1x Titania, Protector of Argoth
    4x Veteran Explorer

Land (24)

2x Badlands
    2x Bayou
    1x Bloodstained Mire
    3x Forest
    4x Grove of the Burnwillows
    1x Kessig Wolf Run
    1x Mountain
    3x Swamp
    1x Taiga
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    2x Wooded Foothills

Enchantment (3)

3x Pernicious Deed

Sorcery (10)

4x Cabal Therapy
    2x Collective Brutality
    4x Green Sun's Zenith

Instant (5)

2x Abrupt Decay
    3x Punishing Fire

Planeswalker (3)

3x Liliana of the Veil

Sideboard (15)

2x Big Game Hunter
    1x Choke
    2x Faerie Macabre
    3x Red Elemental Blast
    4x Surgical Extraction
    3x Thoughtseize

Does ramunap excavator do enough work to justify it's place? I haven't played nic fit in forever but e-wit #2, meren, or something else grindy seems better. It's fun with titania but if that's your goal you should try a sylvan safekeeper.

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    Does ramunap excavator do enough work to justify it's place? I haven't played nic fit in forever but e-wit #2, meren, or something else grindy seems better. It's fun with titania but if that's your goal you should try a sylvan safekeeper.
    it is a test slot for now. it works well with Titania as you stated and it helps if i run into mana denial strategies but i can see it being a safekeeper or something else.

Jan 2014
    Perrysburg, Ohio

Well yesterday I took finally got to play Nyx Fit for the first time. There was an SCG Invitational Qualifier in my area and I thought it would be a good time to test it for the first time. I ended the day at 4-2 losing my win and in to the top 8 because of a misplay on my part. The deck felt strong and of course everyone was gathered around my matches and wondering what the heck I was playing. My favorite was winning a match against Burn with Chromanticore. Fun times.

Match 1:
    4 Color Devler (2-0) This match was a pretty easy honestly. In both games I was able to chain together Pernicious Deeds to keep him from getting anything going. After boarding, Toxic Deluge did some work as well. Both games ended with Overwhelming Splendor closing things out.

Match 2:
    Burn (2-1) I lost the first game of the match to a chain of burn spell spells to the face followed up by a Goblin Guide. Game 2 started with a turn zero Leyline of Sanctity which really helped out followed by good old Chromanticore. Game 3 was closer but ultimately lead to Chromanticore closing things out. The burn matchup seemed really tough and I think I dodge a bullet on this one.

Match 3:
    4 Color Delver (1-2) Game 1 I absolutely got wrecked. Turn 2 Hymn, Turn 3 Thoughtseize followed by another Hymn. Losing 5 cards in 2 turns was absolutely terrible. Game 2 was a grind fest with Lingering Souls getting the job done. Game 3 was more of the Game 1 results. Tons of hands destruction kept me from doing anything and he closed it out quickly.

Match 4:
    Death and Taxes (2-1) He took Game 1 on the back of a Mirran Crusader equipped with a Jitte I couldn't handle. It felt terrible not being able to find removal for the Crusader. Game 2 I won pretty easily. Only fetching basics kept his Wasteland shut off and Pernicious Deed followed by Toxic Deluge is hard to come back from. Game 3 he did a great job using Swords on my Veteran Explorers but I was able to get Sigarda out and she clogged everything up buying me enough time to drop an Overwhelming Splendor for the win.

Match 5:
    Lands (2-1) Game 1 totally surprised him. He had watched a few of my matches before hand so he sort of knew what to expect. What caught him off guard was Cruel Reality. I hadn't played the before and he was all in on Marit Lage. Things ended pretty quickly losing 5 life a turn. Game 2 was a quick one in favor of him. Dark Depths on Turn 3 I believe and I didn't have a Swords in hand. Game 3 was little grindier. I needed to Swords a Lage and start the game with a Leyline of the Void on table. Eventually I was able to assemble the Overwhelming Splendor/Curse of Death's Hold/Ground Seal lock and I got there.

Match 6:
    4 Color Delver (1-2) Well this one was the heart breaker. Game 1 was so grindy and I felt in it the entire time. A Veteran Explorer, 2x Lingering Souls and 3x Cabal Therapy were all I needed. The only enchantment I saw was Sylvan Library. It was fun to see the deck play an entirely different line and get there. Game 2 was tough. He got there on the back of 2x True-Names and 2x Deathrite Shaman. He countered all of my removal attempts. Game 3 was another grindy one. At one point I was chumping with Spirit Tokens to stay alive. I was down to one life at the end and got a little excited and cast an Academy Rector instead of casting Curse of Death's Hold which would have killed his True Name and giving me a blocker for his Leovold. Instead I sacrificed Rector to Evo Leap to find Overwhelming Splendor and I only had one blocker and 4 mana left. I counted wrong and missed the Top 8.

Main Deck:
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Veteran Explorer
    1 Eternal Witness
    4 Academy Rector
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Lingering Souls

4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Collective Brutality
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Swords to Plowshares

3 Pernicious Deed
    2 Evolutionary Leap
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Dovescape
    1 Curse of Death's Hold
    1 Cruel Reality
    1 Overwhelming Splendor
    1 Starfield of Nyx

4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Bayou
    1 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    3 Forest
    2 Swamp
    2 Plains
    2 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Cavern of Souls

Sideboard:
    3 Leyline of the Void
    3 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Chromanticore
    1 Ground Seal
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Toxic Deluge
    2 Lost Legacy

Observations:
    1. I think the deck is positioned well right now because it plays on a completely different plane than people are expecting. Enchantments are a thing no one is ready for.
    2. Overwhelming Splendor is a house. It is so back breaking.
    3. Cruel Reality, outside of one match, really didn't do much. I don't know if Sandwurm Convergence would be better to have in the main.
    4. We can play the grindy matchup well with Lingering Souls and discard.
    5. Burn seems like a tough matchup. You definitely need the right cards in hand early. Does this sound right to everyone else's testing?
    6. This one is personal but I need to slow down and stop rushing. Misplays cost me the most important match.

Been thinking about ways to make a higher curve Nic Fit work alongside Crop Rotation and I remembered Tabernacle is a card. Have we ever seriously discussed/tried it? It seems like a good way to lock up resources from the opponent once we already have a Rhino down or something.

[Primer] Nic Fit

Well yesterday I took finally got to play Nyx Fit for the first time. There was an SCG Invitational Qualifier in my area and I thought it would be a good time to test it for the first time. I ended the day at 4-2 losing my win and in to the top 8 because of a misplay on my part. The deck felt strong and of course everyone was gathered around my matches and wondering what the heck I was playing. My favorite was winning a match against Burn with Chromanticore. Fun times.

Match 1:
    4 Color Devler (2-0) This match was a pretty easy honestly. In both games I was able to chain together Pernicious Deeds to keep him from getting anything going. After boarding, Toxic Deluge did some work as well. Both games ended with Overwhelming Splendor closing things out.

Match 2:
    Burn (2-1) I lost the first game of the match to a chain of burn spell spells to the face followed up by a Goblin Guide. Game 2 started with a turn zero Leyline of Sanctity which really helped out followed by good old Chromanticore. Game 3 was closer but ultimately lead to Chromanticore closing things out. The burn matchup seemed really tough and I think I dodge a bullet on this one.

Match 3:
    4 Color Delver (1-2) Game 1 I absolutely got wrecked. Turn 2 Hymn, Turn 3 Thoughtseize followed by another Hymn. Losing 5 cards in 2 turns was absolutely terrible. Game 2 was a grind fest with Lingering Souls getting the job done. Game 3 was more of the Game 1 results. Tons of hands destruction kept me from doing anything and he closed it out quickly.

Match 4:
    Death and Taxes (2-1) He took Game 1 on the back of a Mirran Crusader equipped with a Jitte I couldn't handle. It felt terrible not being able to find removal for the Crusader. Game 2 I won pretty easily. Only fetching basics kept his Wasteland shut off and Pernicious Deed followed by Toxic Deluge is hard to come back from. Game 3 he did a great job using Swords on my Veteran Explorers but I was able to get Sigarda out and she clogged everything up buying me enough time to drop an Overwhelming Splendor for the win.

Match 5:
    Lands (2-1) Game 1 totally surprised him. He had watched a few of my matches before hand so he sort of knew what to expect. What caught him off guard was Cruel Reality. I hadn't played the before and he was all in on Marit Lage. Things ended pretty quickly losing 5 life a turn. Game 2 was a quick one in favor of him. Dark Depths on Turn 3 I believe and I didn't have a Swords in hand. Game 3 was little grindier. I needed to Swords a Lage and start the game with a Leyline of the Void on table. Eventually I was able to assemble the Overwhelming Splendor/Curse of Death's Hold/Ground Seal lock and I got there.

Match 6:
    4 Color Delver (1-2) Well this one was the heart breaker. Game 1 was so grindy and I felt in it the entire time. A Veteran Explorer, 2x Lingering Souls and 3x Cabal Therapy were all I needed. The only enchantment I saw was Sylvan Library. It was fun to see the deck play an entirely different line and get there. Game 2 was tough. He got there on the back of 2x True-Names and 2x Deathrite Shaman. He countered all of my removal attempts. Game 3 was another grindy one. At one point I was chumping with Spirit Tokens to stay alive. I was down to one life at the end and got a little excited and cast an Academy Rector instead of casting Curse of Death's Hold which would have killed his True Name and giving me a blocker for his Leovold. Instead I sacrificed Rector to Evo Leap to find Overwhelming Splendor and I only had one blocker and 4 mana left. I counted wrong and missed the Top 8.

Main Deck:
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Veteran Explorer
    1 Eternal Witness
    4 Academy Rector
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Lingering Souls

4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Collective Brutality
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Swords to Plowshares

3 Pernicious Deed
    2 Evolutionary Leap
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Dovescape
    1 Curse of Death's Hold
    1 Cruel Reality
    1 Overwhelming Splendor
    1 Starfield of Nyx

4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Bayou
    1 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    3 Forest
    2 Swamp
    2 Plains
    2 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Cavern of Souls

Sideboard:
    3 Leyline of the Void
    3 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Chromanticore
    1 Ground Seal
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Toxic Deluge
    2 Lost Legacy

Observations:
    1. I think the deck is positioned well right now because it plays on a completely different plane than people are expecting. Enchantments are a thing no one is ready for.
    2. Overwhelming Splendor is a house. It is so back breaking.
    3. Cruel Reality, outside of one match, really didn't do much. I don't know if Sandwurm Convergence would be better to have in the main.
    4. We can play the grindy matchup well with Lingering Souls and discard.
    5. Burn seems like a tough matchup. You definitely need the right cards in hand early. Does this sound right to everyone else's testing?
    6. This one is personal but I need to slow down and stop rushing. Misplays cost me the most important match.
    List looks sweet! Mine is pretty similar. I definitly think you should go for Wurmmachine instead of Cruel reality. It wins me almost all if my wins. I do not own Splendor yet though.
    How do you feel about only 2 targets for GSZ outside of ramp. I personally can't settle for few actual creatures and evolution -or- more creatures to GSZ for and diabolic intent.

Death and Taxes (2-1)...Game 3 he did a great job using Swords on my Veteran Explorers...
    Don't we usually want to wait until we have a Therapy in the bin to cast a Vet in order to play around STP? Of course if you're going to be dead on board and have no other options you may be forced to cast him by himself.

Been thinking about ways to make a higher curve Nic Fit work alongside Crop Rotation and I remembered Tabernacle is a card. Have we ever seriously discussed/tried it? It seems like a good way to lock up resources from the opponent once we already have a Rhino down or something.
    I played Tabernacle for a while in my build. The deck was different then, it didn't have the NicFit part and some other things were different, but overall the playstyle didn't change that much. Anyway: The biggest advantage with Tabernacle was probably having much more answers to Empty the Warrens out of Belcher or sometimes Storm. It was decent against many fair decks and also against Elves, but overall the problem for me was simply that it didn't really get rid of their threats most of the time. Going for Tabernacle meant hurting my own mana development, and i think that overall while i won some games with Tabernacle, i problaby lost more because of it. I can't say my Delver matchup for example was better at that point (it was in fact much worse, in the early stages of building this deck, Delver was one of my worst matchups and the last versions i had last year were still at best at 50%). The only matchups that were better then compared to now are probably Elves and Belcher, and Tabernacle was probaby not the main reason the Elves matchup was better (they often neutralized it with Cradle - in the end it felt like Tabernacle was a trap in that matchup and it would have been better to be aggressive with the Crop Rotation and go halfway for Marit Lage instead, that way i would have a better chance to actually close the game. that realization was the biggest reason why i cut the Tabernacle).

So overall, i don't think it's good enough - i don't think it will do that much more in a slightly different deck than at that point. (What i did the most with Tabernacle was probably discarding it to Mox Diamond, and since you don't want to play any Mox, having another land that doesn't produce mana will be even worse for you.)

Thread Information