Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: [DTB] U/R Delver

Re: [DTB] U/R Delver

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    I'm not sure Winter Orb is that #1 card for a sideboard slot, seems pretty weak imo.
    Winter orb is very good in the SB of UR delver, against miracles / lands / eldrazi / BUG or any strategy that have some density of 2 mana or more spells and no mana dork.

try it and u will like. at least if you have some quantity of miracles in the metagame.
    Eldrazi aggro player
    Working in MonoR welder/engineer painter deck
    In love with CoTV and Legacy for so many years

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by painhomoser View Post
    Winter orb is very good in the SB of UR delver, against miracles / lands / eldrazi / BUG or any strategy that have some density of 2 mana or more spells and no mana dork.

try it and u will like. at least if you have some quantity of miracles in the metagame.
    Orbs always been a card I have been least excited about to sleeve up in an event. If I sleeved up this deck I would definitely try to slot something alot more versatile into that slot.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

I'm not a big fan of Winter Orb. I think it's too slow and clunky against decks that can play around it. Sure, no one is boarding in hate for it, but there are better interactive slots one could use.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Winter Orb. I think it's too slow and clunky against decks that can play around it. Sure, no one is boarding in hate for it, but there are better interactive slots one could use.
    It's a shame there isn't a like button emoji for your statement. I just think dedicating those slots to a broader range of MUs is totally correct
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    I think it had a place in the older U/R delver builds which were essentially counter-burn and heavily focused on 1-drops. Current builds are much more grindy and have a higher curve. All it is really doing in newer is slowing the whole game down, which may hurt your opponent but it's also slowing you down in a deck that still struggles to go late.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Forget winter orb. Use vortex or just burn the deck with price

So this guy could be relevant for the deck, also works with attacks by TNNs even if he eats a bolt before you can cast the spell you flip. Kinda unreliable compared to Arcanist, but could be very powerful depending on what you flip over.

Why does the UR burn version that plays Monastery Swiftspear have 16 lands ( + no Wasteland)? The only real 2+ mana cost card in MB is Dreadhorde Arcanist and True-Name Nemesis. Older version of RUG (pre W6) had 14 lands (excluding Wasteland) and even UR Burn which plays Young Pyromancer can be seen playing 14-15 (excluding Wasteland). Ideally UR Burn with Monastery Swiftspear should only have to play 15 lands being it is playing a 1-of basic Mountain. Onto of that typically plays 3-5 Preordains. Thoughts?

Yeah I played 15 lands when I was playing the prowess build.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    So this guy could be relevant for the deck, also works with attacks by TNNs even if he eats a bolt before you can cast the spell you flip. Kinda unreliable compared to Arcanist, but could be very powerful depending on what you flip over.

I'm gonna give this card a go in the next tournament. Seems decent enough.

Also, this question has probably been asked a 1000 times already but since I don't really feel like sifting through 40 pages of text: why no Snapcaster?

Sometimes people run Snapcaster, but Arcanist is somewhat similar and repeatable (and doesn't cost $70).

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by mulder View Post
    Also, this question has probably been asked a 1000 times already but since I don't really feel like sifting through 40 pages of text: why no Snapcaster?
    Snapcaster Mage doesn't do enough to advance the tempo game plan. It isn't much of a threat. Snapcaster is best in midrange and control decks, which make more land drops. Adding lands to ensure you have enough mana to flashback spells with Snapcaster means you're making your Delvers slightly worse. While Snapcaster would occasionally be seen in UR Delver lists, it now has been supplanted by Dreadhorde Arcanist, which is more mana-efficient. There are other options, of course. If you're on a Prowess build, you probably want Stormchaser Mage in that slot instead.

5-0'd a local Legacy tournament today with UR Delver. The deck is the nuts. Won against Burn, MUD, 4c Leovold, Bant control and Eldrazi aggro.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game..

Quote Originally Posted by DKK View Post
    5-0'd a local Legacy tournament today with UR Delver. The deck is the nuts. Won against Burn, MUD, 4c Leovold, Bant control and Eldrazi aggro.
    Was the 4c build and Bant control Oko based decks?
    The deck is still incredibly powerful. Being able to leverage Pyroblast to the fullest can easily push this deck into the top tier category.

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    The deck is still incredibly powerful. Being able to leverage Pyroblast to the fullest can easily push this deck into the top tier category.
    Indeed, while Oko is dangerous if left unchecked for long, we are still able to blast it and/or burn it twice as soon as it enters the battlefield. UR is also one of the few decks that is not affected by the new trend of Veil of Summer maindeck/side. This means we now have to face less meaningful sideboard cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    Yes, both of them played Oko, but did only see them when playing vs Bant.

The list I played was as follows:

Maindeck
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Dreadhorde Arcanist
    3 Young Pyromancer
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Brazen Borrower

4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Chain Lightning
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    3 Preordain
    1 Spell Pierce
    4 Daze
    1 Force of Negation
    4 Force of Will

4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Flooded Strand
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Volcanic Island
    3 Snow-Covered Island
    1 Snow-Covered Mountain
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard
    3 Pyroblast
    1 Flusterstorm
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Abrade
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Izzet Staticaster
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Null Rod
    1 Magmatic Sinkhole
    1 Submerge

Basically took the list from Andreas Mueller from the cardmarket series in Prague as a starting point and made some minor tweaks. The maindeck felt very solid. I consider the Spell Pierce, Borrower#2 and/or TNN #2, Chain Lightning, Force of Negation and Island #3 to be flex slots based on your meta/preference.

In the side I liked the 3rd Pyroblast as a 1 mana answer to Oko/Teferi/Snapcaster/Strix/Coatl/Leovold. Abrade overperformed as well. Submerge was only so-so, but I expected more Goyfs than I encountered. Figuring out whether I like Izzet Staticaster (repeatable) over Elecktrickery (instant)/Blazing Volley (1cmc for Arcanist).

Also, for what matchups do people play Sulfuric Vortex?
    Last edited by DKK; 12-07-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Oct 2015
    SWFL

Stoneblade or Oko Control (miracles/lands)

Does anyone of you have a Link to an up-to-date Primer and/or Sideboard guide for UR?

T8'ed Eternal weekend Europe with the same deck as posted above. Lost in T8 to 5c control.

Quote Originally Posted by DKK View Post
    T8'ed Eternal weekend Europe with the same deck as posted above. Lost in T8 to 5c control.
    Any on-cam matches?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thread Information