Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344 LastLast

Thread: [DTB] U/R Delver

Re: [DTB] U/R Delver

Quote Originally Posted by DKK View Post
    First of all, congrats on the finish! Interesting list, have you ever missed YP? Also, how has the Fiery Islet been for you? I'm interested in how often you use it for mana (losing life) before you draw a card. Isn't it awkward every now and then when you have an opener with just the Islet, but also Cantrip (or Delver) + Daze?

Also how have the Shenanigans been for you? I take it you prefer the recurrance over the flexibility of Abrade, which is useful in a broader range of matchups (Mirror, Elves, etc)

What does not add up to me is how you say Blood Moon is too slow on the one hand, but at the same time say the answer is another 3cc card. They serve different roles: against colorless Eldrazi Blood Moon stops the your opponent from deploying any further threats (at least most of them) after you've hopefully countered or Bolted the first. Against the Red variant it is less value, but still can keep them of colorless mana and thus Smasher/TKS. TNN stops threats that are on the board already, although you it does not stop Reality Smasher by itself. Also, Ghost Quarter lets them search for a basic Wastes (colorless deck) or Mountain (Red Eldrazi) while costing you a turn and a land, so effectively it might slow you more than it does to them.

That depends on which turn it comes down. Turn 1 it's a must-counter most of the time, but afterwards it's sometimes just a 3-mana draw 1 for them instead of deploying a threat.
    The only time i missed YP was in one game in the mirror, but only because i haven`t drawn a TNN. I am convinced that tnn is far superior. My deck is build with oko in mind. Everything is there to beat oko and it worked. I smashed all the oko decks. The only game i lost to oko, was game one in the finals, whre my Miracle opponent dazed!! my TNN

Shenanigans beats up on the artifact hate cards like no other card can. I dont have room in the mirror for the abrades. So i didn`t miss them. If i would want a card for elves or the mirror, it would definitly be Blazing Volley.

My argument for GQ over blood moon is, that most of the eldrazi aggro players don`t play Wastes and against post blood moon hasen`t worked for me, because it was too slow to denie them there mana.

Fiery Islet was amazing. I had only one game, where it hurded me twice. And it is very good against Choke

BTW i have no idea how to beat the red eldrazi deck. Any Thoughts on that or other questions?

Dec 2010
    Montreal

I've had a discussion with a local delver player about how to side against Snowko Miracles and we both had really different angles of attack. He was convinced that going all out aggression with Bolts gave him his best shot while I believe Bolt cards are the worse cards I could keep. My list is obviously a little different than the stock lists but it's because my approach with Delver aims at:

A) make the best Arcanist deck possible, and;
    B) have a strong plan against Control decks

My boarding plan involves taking my 4 Bolts, 2 Chains, and 2 Wastelands for 3 Pyroblasts, 3 Thoughtseize, and 2 Bitterblossoms. I play 1 USea as a 19th land exactly for SB Thoughtseize and Blossoms so I can get a free splash against Control and Combo decks. I never side out my Forces in control matchups for any deck really because the game is usually decided over a select few spells or permanents. I keep all 4 Daze because they are useful all the way to turn 4 against Oko/Teferi/Mentor backed by Veil/Pierce. Daze is useful when using TS against an untapped land to counter a potential Veil/Brainstorm or when slamming a T2 threat on the draw and still protect from Oko. When it sucks, it pitches to Force. Perhaps my approach is a little off and Bolt is better than I give it credit for given that it can instantly dispatch Coatl, kills the occasional Mentor, and makes Arcanist more of a threat overall (especially against Elks). Wasteland is definitely a card I wouldn't mind cutting entirely from this matchup and maybe having access to a full set of Bolts beats Daze #3-4. What do yall think?

List for reference:

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Dreadhorde Arcanist
    2 Young Pyromancer
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Brazen Borrower

4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Daze
    1 Force of Negation
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Preordain
    2 Chain Lightning

4 Wasteland
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Volcanic Island
    1 Underground Sea
    2 Island
    1 Mountain
    //SB
    1 Magmatic Sinkhole
    2 Abrade
    3 Pyroblast
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Bitterblossom
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

May 2013
    Paris, France

Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post
    I've had a discussion with a local delver player about how to side against Snowko Miracles and we both had really different angles of attack. He was convinced that going all out aggression with Bolts gave him his best shot while I believe Bolt cards are the worse cards I could keep. My list is obviously a little different than the stock lists but it's because my approach with Delver aims at:

A) make the best Arcanist deck possible, and;
    B) have a strong plan against Control decks

My boarding plan involves taking my 4 Bolts, 2 Chains, and 2 Wastelands for 3 Pyroblasts, 3 Thoughtseize, and 2 Bitterblossoms. I play 1 USea as a 19th land exactly for SB Thoughtseize and Blossoms so I can get a free splash against Control and Combo decks. I never side out my Forces in control matchups for any deck really because the game is usually decided over a select few spells or permanents. I keep all 4 Daze because they are useful all the way to turn 4 against Oko/Teferi/Mentor backed by Veil/Pierce. Daze is useful when using TS against an untapped land to counter a potential Veil/Brainstorm or when slamming a T2 threat on the draw and still protect from Oko. When it sucks, it pitches to Force. Perhaps my approach is a little off and Bolt is better than I give it credit for given that it can instantly dispatch Coatl, kills the occasional Mentor, and makes Arcanist more of a threat overall (especially against Elks). Wasteland is definitely a card I wouldn't mind cutting entirely from this matchup and maybe having access to a full set of Bolts beats Daze #3-4. What do yall think?

List for reference:

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Dreadhorde Arcanist
    2 Young Pyromancer
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Brazen Borrower

4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Daze
    1 Force of Negation
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Preordain
    2 Chain Lightning

4 Wasteland
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Volcanic Island
    1 Underground Sea
    2 Island
    1 Mountain
    //SB
    1 Magmatic Sinkhole
    2 Abrade
    3 Pyroblast
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Bitterblossom
    I'm not familiar with U/R Delver but rather with RUG Delver so consider the following as the way I board with RUG:

I would never side out bolt vs Control MUs. Reach is what will get you there (Especially when playing with Arcanist).
    14 colored mana source is all you need. The game will go long so you'll eventually get to 5 lands.

I would cut 5 lands from your list making sure to keep 14 blue source (so -4 wasteland - 1 mountain).
    Then, I would consider what is the less impacting cards you have left:

- Preordain vs Ponder.
    Ponder is better at finding your second land drop so I would cut Preodain here.

-> -2 preordain.

Now onto the last one :

-> I would consider cutting one chain here. You can also cut 2 chains and leave 1 preordain in (which might be the way to go since you are adding a third color to your deck and you wanna profit them all)

8 cards in / 8 cards off.

Job done.

Ralf

Oct 2015
    SWFL

-4 Wasteland
    -1 Mountain
    -2 Chain Lightning
    -1 Daze

+3 Thoughtseize
    +3 Pyroblast
    +2 Bitterblossom

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by eldub View Post
    -4 Wasteland
    -1 Mountain
    -2 Chain Lightning
    -1 Daze

+3 Thoughtseize
    +3 Pyroblast
    +2 Bitterblossom
    This is exactly how I ended up boarding :P
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

What do you guys think about boarding in Surgical Extraction as well? Brainstorm, Swords and Terminus seem logical targets, and looking at your opponent's hand can give you crucial information to plan your own turns.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game..

Dec 2010
    Montreal

What do you guys think about boarding in Surgical Extraction as well? Brainstorm, Swords and Terminus seem logical targets, and looking at your opponent's hand can give you crucial information to plan your own turns.
    I always thought boarding in Surgical against Miracles was a mistake. Even with Mystic Sanctuary recycling Miracles, Surgical is still a mistake in my book. I never counter removal against them because they have much more removal spells than win conditions. The only occasion I recall countering removal was at a GP during the SDT era where I had a Delver + 2 Bolt + 2 FoW opener and my entire game plan relied on getting in with Delver in order to leverage Bolt. Note that this was during G1 because my G2 plan at the time had a no-Bolt plan. A card like Terminus when it is cast reduces the Miracle's player removal density but does not reduce our own deck's threat density. This is an important point in a grindy match because I know I will always have 2 TNN to draw into while their Terminus naturally dwindle away. There is no need to go down a card to extract them. Mystic Sanctuary recurring Entreat is probably the most likely scenario that would require some form of GY hate but the fact that it is played as a singleton makes this situation all too narrow.

Whenever I see a Delver player bring in Surgical against Miracles I feel it is more a symptom of a lack of planning for that particular matchup. I can't imagine someone thinking they have a strong boarding plan against Miracles because they pack a few Surgicals. If you have enough counterspells and a few dedicated grind cards to bring in, Surgicals won't cross your mind when your deck has no chaff left in it.

On a related note, I believe Cling to Rust is an interesting SB option against Snapcaster and Mystic Sanctuary. It's basically a Counter + Draw spell that can also steadily eat at your GY at EoT for 4 mana and grants you a free card.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Oct 2015
    SWFL

I think the first Surgical is defensible against White control. Swords to Plowshares is a real beating (less so in UR, but definitely in RUG or Grixis where you're protecting Gurmag or Mangdrills & Goyf).

Cling to Dust is an excellent card, very synergistic in Grixis Delver. I was playing one in the Main deck even before switching over to RUG recently.

Looks like a perfect fit. Blue, haste, flying and grows permanently.

Looks like a perfect fit. Blue, haste, flying and grows permanently.
    Its underwhelming. I'd rather go back to prowess builds than play this.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Its underwhelming. I'd rather go back to prowess builds than play this.
    Comparing it to Stormchaser Mage:
    Pro: grows permanently
    Con: starts with 1 toughness instead of 3

Effectively you get more damage for a bit more vulnerability to Bolt in the first 1-2 turns.

Comparing it to Stormchaser Mage:
    Pro: grows permanently
    Con: starts with 1 toughness instead of 3

Effectively you get more damage for a bit more vulnerability to Bolt in the first 1-2 turns.
    With Brazen Borrower afoot, I don't think it's playable; counters on something that vulnerable is asking for problems. It costs a lot to get it out of bolt range.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    With Brazen Borrower afoot, I don't think it's playable; counters on something that vulnerable is asking for problems. It costs a lot to get it out of bolt range.

This card needed First Strike and not Haste to be useful.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=25355&d=381225&f=LE

Spicy. Looks different than I would have imagined it, but I may try it out.

Hey guys,

Ever since the card was spoiled, am scratching my head over Sea Gate Stormcaller. Admittedly I have not sleeved up UR Delver in a while, preferring the joys of Reanimation spells. But this card is drawing me back to it.

It offers some powerful lines (double bolt, double ponder,... double PoP) and has a good synergy with the rest of the deck, especially with Arcanist (unlike Snapcaster). Its most obvious drawbacks being the lack of flash and of evasion, it kinda contends for the 2 CMC slots which in UR is already pretty packed (YPyro, Arcanist, Snapcaster, Dragon, Petty Theft).

What are your thoughts on the card?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco111 View Post
    Hey guys,

Ever since the card was spoiled, am scratching my head over Sea Gate Stormcaller. Admittedly I have not sleeved up UR Delver in a while, preferring the joys of Reanimation spells. But this card is drawing me back to it.

It offers some powerful lines (double bolt, double ponder,... double PoP) and has a good synergy with the rest of the deck, especially with Arcanist (unlike Snapcaster). Its most obvious drawbacks being the lack of flash and of evasion, it kinda contends for the 2 CMC slots which in UR is already pretty packed (YPyro, Arcanist, Snapcaster, Dragon, Petty Theft).

it is inherently a slow value card like snapcaster rather than a threat like Y Pyro. Additionally, the best cards to pair with it are black: Village Rites, Cabal Therapy. It is a good card but will only see play in slower decks like grixis control, punishing thieves, astrolabe soup or Nic Fit IMO.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco111 View Post

Unfortunately the biggest drawback is consuming a lot of mana. Sea Gate Stormcaller contends with the 3-4 CMC slots, not the 2 CMC slot. You need to cast another spell that turn, so it's not really a 2 drop, and the kicker is unplayable outside of a control deck.

It probably has a place in a more controlling Legacy deck, but it's just too slow for Delver. UR Delver doesn't even want Snapcaster.

Edit: Sprite Dragon is still putting up good numbers for this deck, e.g. 3rd place legacy challenge:
    https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=27673&d=419797&f=LE

Maindeck Pyroblast to adapt to the meta.

I've been playing around with a more Sligh version this year, using the UR Prowess plan of Monastery Swiftspear over the slower Sprite Dragon.

//Lands: 16
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Volcanic Island
    2 Snow-Covered Island
    1 Snow-Covered Mountain
    1 Fiery Islet

//Creatures: 12
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Monastery Swiftspear
    4 Dreadhorde Arcanist

//Spells: 32
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Daze
    2 Force of Negation
    2 Fireblast

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Brazen Borrower
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Blazing Volley
    2 Smash to Smithereens
    2 Submerge

12 threats, 12 cantrips, 10 burn, 10 free counters.
    It's a fairly linear proactive plan, where you're happy to play precombat spells for Prowess/Arcanist.

This can goldfish on T3 several different ways, while countering something, trying to end the game before value engines come online or combo gets a 2nd wind.
    Last edited by FTW; 10-21-2020 at 09:28 PM.

Sep 2011

UR Ragavan aka Just Monkeyin Around

I couldn't find a UR Delver thread. For a lack of other place to discuss this, I'm posting here.

pre-Ragavan Delver is already Tier 1:
    Legacy Open 1st Place: https://mtgtop8.com/event?e=30875&d=440163&f=LE
    Legacy Open Top 8: https://mtgtop8.com/event?e=30875&d=440169&f=LE
    Legacy Challenge 4th: https://mtgtop8.com/event?e=30925&d=440450&f=LE
    Legacy Prelim 3rd place: https://mtgtop8.com/event?e=30940&d=440517&f=LE
    Legacy Prelim 6th place: https://mtgtop8.com/event?e=30940&d=440520&f=LE

That's just from the last week.

Most people are on a higher curve list with 19 lands, Ethereal Forager, and only Delver in the 1 mana spot.

//Lands: 19
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Wooded Foothills
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Island
    1 Mountain
    4 Wasteland

//Creatures: 13
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Sprite Dragon
    3 Ethereal Forager
    2 Brazen Borrower

//Spells: 28
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Chain Lightning
    1 Forked Bolt
    4 Expressive Iteration
    4 Daze
    2 Force of Negation

2 Abrade
    2 Blazing Volley
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Narset, Parter of Veils
    1 Null Rod
    3 Pyroblast
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Submerge
    2 Surgical Extraction

I'm interested in this 3rd place list because it's a lot closer to the lower-to-the-ground UR Prowess build I've been playing lately.

//Lands: 16
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Volcanic Island
    2 Island
    1 Mountain
    2 Fiery Islet

//Creatures: 14
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Monastery Swiftspear
    4 Sprite Dragon
    2 Brazen Borrower

//Spells: 30
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Chain Lightning
    3 Preordain
    4 Daze
    4 Expressive Iteration

2 Abrade
    1 Blazing Volley
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Force of Negation
    2 Price of Progress
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Rough / Tumble
    2 Submerge
    2 Surgical Extraction

Before Expressive Iteration was printed, I was on the same thing with:
    -4 Expressive
    +2 FoN
    +1 Preordain
    +1 flex slot (Forked Bolt, 4th Chain, etc)
    -1 Islet
    +1 basic

The engine is very efficient. Swiftspear and Sprite can hit for a lot of damage while chaining cantrips and burn. Maindeck Borrower is important for answering things you can't burn (and Chalice). Expressive Iteration ensures a smooth stream of cards, and now Ragavan potentially does too.

I think this is a good starting point. Ragavan will provide both mana and cards on an empty board, so it just needs help keeping an open game state and staying protected. Without Swiftspear it won't have the same aggressive burn-type wins and won't need Preordain as much (less cheesy chaining 1 mana cantrips for Prowess). Keeping FoN seems important as protection, while Ragavan and Iteration can recover the lost cards. Forager doesn't necessarily help this plan. You already have cheaper ways to generate cards and just want spells to protect them. That means you don't need as many fetches either to fuel Delve. At the top end Borrower seems more important, removing Chalice and blockers that don't die to Bolt. Going back to Wasteland is probably correct too, as Ragavan leans into a more control version. You want to keep opponent from doing things, while there are ways to draw gas without Islet.

PROPOSED LIST:

//Creatures: 15
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer
    3 Sprite Dragon
    2 Brazen Borrower
    2 Murktide Regent

//Spells: 27
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Chain Lightning
    1 Forked Bolt
    4 Daze
    3 Expressive Iteration
    1 Force of Negation

//Lands: 18
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Misty Rainforest
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Island
    1 Mountain
    4 Wasteland

2 Abrade
    1 Blazing Volley
    1 Pyrokinesis
    2 Meltdown
    3 Pyroblast
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Submerge
    2 Surgical Extraction

Edit: -1 Dismember, -1 Iteration, -1 Narset, -1 Volley, -1 Sprite Dragon, -1 FoN, -1 Relic
    +1 Wasteland, +1 Forked Bolt, +1 Pyrokinesis, +2 Meltdown, +2 Regent
    Last edited by FTW; 06-07-2021 at 10:44 AM.

May 2015
    PDX

Re: UR Ragavan aka Just Monkeyin Around

UR is the single worst color set vs Goyf. Get Failwhale straight out of there. Here's why DHA was playable: 1x Bolt = actually 2x Bolt and a clean 1 for 1 with Goyf. Delve-Dragon is the first card [since DHA] that beats Goyf in UR. You run this, and you overtake Goyf with tempo. Failwhale is awful, get it out.

Sep 2011

Re: UR Ragavan aka Just Monkeyin Around

Wait, what's failwhale? If you mean Ethereal Forager, there are 0 copies.

Edit: UR is weak to Goyf, though there is Petty Theft and Submerge to gain tempo instead of going bigger. Goyf is a relatively small share of the meta. Going big for the Delve-Dragon does beat Goyf, but it pushes back towards the slower 19 land Delve builds. What would it replace? Borrower? That makes you weaker to Chalice and also weaker to early big bodies like Goyf/Angler/Mandrils.

Thread Information