Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: [DTB] U/R Delver

Re: U/R Delver

Misdirection is probably a better option than Divert as it's "free" so we don't need to leave mana open in case of a hymn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Tempel View Post
    better chances against Elves and D&T?

Anyone having some suggestions, especially on the creature base?
    I am not UR delver player myself, but against Elves and D&T I would recommend 2x Rough // Tumble in the SB. 1of Sudden Shock or Jitte if you want to deal with Mother of Runes.

If you are expecting creature decks like D&T, I would recommend TNN in the main instead of Clique. TNN is a blowout against D&T.

Hey guys. When I first started playing legacy almost 4 years ago I had UR delver. I got in the bad habit of selling out and buying into other decks repeatedly and each time losing out on money. I've had Maverick for a few years which I enjoy but I want to cast bs/fow and maybe have time for food in between matches.

I really like what seems to be the general style of having a very low curve and using prowess creatures to turn cantrips into damage.

The list I am going to run is pretty similar to what most are playing but I'm trying to figure out a flex slot right now. Many people play a miser Thunderous wrath/TNN/reveler in this slot.

I was curious as to your guys thoughts on a singleton fire/ice? Is anyone playing this card?

Is it just to slow and the utility not good enough. I thought it seemed like an okay choice to tap down one of their blockers, get a prowess trigger and draw a card? Maybe tap a sol land against show and tells upkeep to buy a turn. Fire can pop a DRS/blow up annoying things against elves and DnT?

I'm just curious if it's an okay card to include or if reveler/TNN is really that much better.

Thanks guys.

Fire/Ice has been on sideboard lists but personally I find it too slow. Even in the situation where you tap a show and tell land you slowed them down but also yourself and unless you cantrip into a force it hasn't really helped you.

I think you ideally want more damage in any flex slots.

new list today with 3 Soul-Scar Mage 5-0 mtgo [https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/637131#paper].

Anyone testing with this card?

Nov 2011
    Finland

Soul-scar mage seems good at turning combat math on your side. If they have a 4/5 goyf and you have a 1/2 prowess mage one bolt before damage to the goyf and your mage eats the goyf. Mage with grim lavamancer is also quite fun.

Dec 2016
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze360 View Post
    I don't really like this card too much. It is realistically a slow Monastery Swiftspear. Its ability to shrink stuff like Gurmag Angler or Tarmogoyf certainly has merit, however I just don't think it matters too much. Since you are running 3-4 Stormchaser Mage and 4 Delver of Secrets and maybe 1 True-Name Nemesis, Tarmogoyfs and Gurmag Anglers are only relevant when they are beating you down or blocking your Monastery Swiftspears. I just don't think that the -1 -1 ability of Soul Scar Mage warrants a slot in this deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    I tap all 5 of my lands on my turn. He's like....OMG not Shriekmaw. I land Batterskull. He's like. Ok sure. LOL, not very often someone is more happy to see Batterskull then a Shriekmaw.

Yeah I am pretty sure the guy didn't play with Soul-Scar Mage because of the -1/-1 counters but rather because its basically like Monastery Swiftspear #5-7. The deck does operate better imo when it drops a threat turn 1 and the additional 1-drop prowess guy gives it a better chance of it. But I haven't tested it all but I do know the games I tend to lose are hands that are a bit slow without turn 1 pressure..

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

turn 1 pressure..
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Monastery Swiftspear
    4 Goblin Guide
    3 Soul-Scar Mage
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Quote Originally Posted by CabalTherapy View Post
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Monastery Swiftspear
    4 Goblin Guide
    3 Soul-Scar Mage
    That chalice, though...

If Chalice is slammed turn 1 or 2 through Daze/Fow and without Smash we are probably (though SCM and PoP *can* still get us there) not winning anyways. Interesting discussion regarding Soul-Scar Mage at least.

Does anyone stream UR Delver on Twitch or on a You Tube channel? I have done some preliminary searches and come up with blanks. I enjoy watching other people play and feel it helps me understand the deck better.

That's not acceptable, though. I've won through chalice often with prowess triggers off Stormchaser. You just have to be smart about how you play it. Diversify your threats.
    Last edited by Secretly.A.Bee; 05-07-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Jun 2015
    NYC

new list today with 3 Soul-Scar Mage 5-0 mtgo [https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/637131#paper].

Anyone testing with this card?
    I tried this list at my local. Soul-Scar mage didn't seem good. I also didn't play any Goyf/Eldrazi deck where the ability might be relevant, but even vs those decks he doesn't seem better than Stormchaser, which can attack past their board and has haste. This is a burn deck and playing permanents that don't do damage immediately feels bad.

So has anyone ever tried splashing black for Cabal Therapy? It seems incredible easy to do and it seems it would also shore up the combo match-ups which aren't a walk in the park. I would probably run Young Pyro in addition to SCM anyways. The prowess guys really want proactive disruption and Therapy is just that.

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Island
    1 Mountain
    1 Badlands
    1 Underground Sea
    3 Volcanic Island

4 Delver
    4 Swiftspear
    3 Stormchaser Mage
    3 Young Pyro

4 of everything
    2 PoP

SB:
    3-4 Therapy

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

So has anyone ever tried splashing black for Cabal Therapy? It seems incredible easy to do and it seems it would also shore up the combo match-ups which aren't a walk in the park. I would probably run Young Pyro in addition to SCM anyways. The prowess guys really want proactive disruption and Therapy is just that.

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Island
    1 Mountain
    1 Badlands
    1 Underground Sea
    3 Volcanic Island

4 Delver
    4 Swiftspear
    3 Stormchaser Mage
    3 Young Pyro

4 of everything
    2 PoP

SB:
    3-4 Therapy
    Game1 against all kinds of combodecks is to try to race them with at best one active Force in hand.
    Game2/3 you can still play a wide variety of hate in U, R, or colourless, that's why I am not a fan of B and CT in this deck, also making the main worse with YP.

Ah and btw SCM usually stands for Snapcaster Mage I'd say.
    WantToPonder
    Team MTG Berlin

Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm

How has Harsh Mentor been for you all? I was so excited for it before the top ban. Testing for SCG Louisville and havent had the time to play much so looking for some of input.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by gotchadanno View Post
    How has Harsh Mentor been for you all? I was so excited for it before the top ban. Testing for SCG Louisville and havent had the time to play much so looking for some of input.
    Haven't tested this card at all because it doesn't fit in this deck. It's neither a beater nor a secure way to deal damage and that's what the deck doesn't need.
    Playing Harsh Mentor lets you dive into realms of value creatures, midrage action, and so on and at this point UR starts losing against so many other strategies.
    I guess it's an 2 off SB option but then again I am pretty sure there are better cards.

Mentor is more of a Dragon Stompy creature.
    WantToPonder
    Team MTG Berlin

The Dragonstorm

I think if diving top hadn't been banned then harsh mentor should definitely be in the 75 somewhere. Now I think it's more dependent on your local meta. If you have a lot of people using activated abilities then have one or two in the side seems fine. Like he should hose d&t hard, also potentially useful vs lands stoneblade and the many decks using DRS.

new list 5-0d MTGO today. Notables include 2 Bedlam Reveler, 1 Preordain, No Fireblast maindeck.

SB no creature sweepers, 0 Surgicals.

[http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...ue-2017-05-16]

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Maybe this deck doesn't care about this interaction, but I just realized that Swiftspear/Soul-Scar survive Rough//Tumble and Pyroclasm.

I feel like that's ripe for abuse (although maybe not in this deck) especially with Soul-Scar who can turn all that damage into shrink-effects, nerfing Mr. Goyf/Angler/etc pretty good. Additionally, it shrinks the likes of Leo, Goose, or other 3/3s that would otherwise be able to block you reasonably.

On the Scar v Swiftspear debate; meh? Swiftspear dropped on T1 deals a mere 1 extra damage over the game, with none of the accidental utility. Swiftspear dropped later may grow a bit and that could be important for "out of nowhere" damage, but Delver isn't out-of-nowhere damage and you wouldn't cut him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Thread Information