Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: [DTB] U/R Delver

Re: [DTB] U/R Delver

Great work. Do you have a +/- guide for the DTBs and most common matchups? I find most matchups pretty intuitive, but I'm lost vs others.

Dec 2016
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by jdmdave View Post
    Great work. Do you have a +/- guide for the DTBs and most common matchups? I find most matchups pretty intuitive, but I'm lost vs others.
    I could work that into the primer, and it has crossed my mind, but the reason I haven't done it yet is that I feel like my opinions may differ due to my experience piloting the deck, and thus I would say things based on skewed results. As an example, I feel like the Elves matchup is very favourable, and a friend who plays Elves in Toronto also thinks UR Delver is a heavy favourite. However, I asked Julian Knab on his stream today about the matchup, and he said he felt it was very 50/50.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    I tap all 5 of my lands on my turn. He's like....OMG not Shriekmaw. I land Batterskull. He's like. Ok sure. LOL, not very often someone is more happy to see Batterskull then a Shriekmaw.

I would say go for it. Even if you are wrong, it still opens the door for discussion and can be changed as needed. I'd rather try and be wrong than not try and save face.

This is the internet, so of course we all think we are right, and some will be dicks about it, I'm sure, but I would very much appreciate the sideboarding guide to matchups.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheManWithaPlan View Post
    So I got to test Soul-Scar Mage in a League run with the deck online. The matches were;

Win 2-1 vs Aluren
    Win 2-1 vs Omnitell(mono Blue)
    Win 2-1 vs ANT(surfinbird19!)
    Win 2-0 vs Sneak and Show
    Win 2-0 vs Punishing Thieves

Soul-Scar Mage was excellent. I am honestly impressed. Being another threat that should never be uncastable, unlike True-Name Nemesis can be, is very beneficial to this deck's strategy. I feel like it also makes the deck kill faster and be better at racing combo, because it is an extra 1 mana prowess threat. I plan to run the card through far more leagues to test it online and hopefully I can get some more 5-0's, so that I can get a bigger sample size. Hopefully the list gets on Goldfish tomorrow, so keep your eyes peeled.
    I keep hearing about soul-scar mage but I can't help myself thinking we are pidgeonholing ourselves with 1 drops. Isn't it a bad idea to just hope no T1 chalice comes out? Having to cut down on the number of 2-3 drops threats seems risky, even tho I like that we can more easily get rid of an annoying wall like gurmag with it.

Just went 4-1 in the league with a 74/75 copy of Manwtp's list (b2b over blood moon).

* Grixis Delver 2-0
    * Deathblade 2-0
    * Storm 0-2
    * Miracles 2-0
    * Grixis Delver 2-1

How exactly do we beat storm? i feel even post board we are pretty vulnerable

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Just went 4-1 in the league with a 74/75 copy of Manwtp's list (b2b over blood moon).

How exactly do we beat storm? i feel even post board we are pretty vulnerable

Just let me chime in briefly since UR is one of my "2nd choice decks" and I do care about it because it's fun to play in some locals sometimes.
    Yet another small note on the storm MU:
    The UR MU is my best MU at the moment. I have lost exactly one match this year against it but on the other hand I won all my matches with UR against ANT
    in the locals. The thing is that UR is very easy to beat preboard, as you all know, and most of the time there's no real problem postboard either because
    I bring in removal (Decay, Push), extra Tendrils, and another discard spell to the party. My thinking is that if the ANT player is somewhat decent at the game, UR will
    always have a hard time beating it, so I'd recommend going for speed instead of counterspells. Sure, you are still bringing in more disruption but it's all worthless if you
    don't have some creatures to push through damage. Leave in some Bolts, keep aggressive hands with maybe one counterspell (hoping to find another one), don't cantrip too much
    for counterspells or SE (worst card ever), and hope that the ANT player kept a controllish hand.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Mar 2016
    Austria

Quote Originally Posted by CabalTherapy View Post
    Just let me chime in briefly since UR is one of my "2nd choice decks" and I do care about it because it's fun to play in some locals sometimes.
    Yet another small note on the storm MU:
    The UR MU is my best MU at the moment. I have lost exactly one match this year against it but on the other hand I won all my matches with UR against ANT
    in the locals. The thing is that UR is very easy to beat preboard, as you all know, and most of the time there's no real problem postboard either because
    I bring in removal (Decay, Push), extra Tendrils, and another discard spell to the party. My thinking is that if the ANT player is somewhat decent at the game, UR will
    always have a hard time beating it, so I'd recommend going for speed instead of counterspells. Sure, you are still bringing in more disruption but it's all worthless if you
    don't have some creatures to push through damage. Leave in some Bolts, keep aggressive hands with maybe one counterspell (hoping to find another one), don't cantrip too much
    for counterspells or SE (worst card ever), and hope that the ANT player kept a controllish hand.
    Very interesting to hear some input from someone who plays both decks, i appreciate that. What would you consider the best cards against storm? I always go with 2 Flusterstorm as my counterspell of choice (alongside Pyroblast of course), would you consider bringing in any other hatecards or go with a split of Spell pierce/Flusterstorm?

Dec 2016
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Tempel View Post
    Very interesting to hear some input from someone who plays both decks, i appreciate that. What would you consider the best cards against storm? I always go with 2 Flusterstorm as my counterspell of choice (alongside Pyroblast of course), would you consider bringing in any other hatecards or go with a split of Spell pierce/Flusterstorm?
    If you want dedicated storm hate, I would play Eidolon of the Great Revel or Pyrostatic Pillar.
    I tap all 5 of my lands on my turn. He's like....OMG not Shriekmaw. I land Batterskull. He's like. Ok sure. LOL, not very often someone is more happy to see Batterskull then a Shriekmaw.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Tempel View Post
    I think you need possibly 8+ cards to beat storm and the best would be Eidolon paired with some taxing counterspells. But in the end I tend to win games where the UR player brings in lots of counterspells and rather lose games because of a fast clock.
    WantToPonder
    Team MTG Berlin

Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm

Wouldn't grafdiggers be significantly better than surgical?

Also, I'm thinking of creating an editable public google doc for +/- sideboarding - anyone game to contribute?
    Last edited by jdmdave; 08-07-2017 at 11:34 PM.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Wouldn't grafdiggers be significantly better than surgical?
    It's definitely the more powerful card but I don't know if you want to cast it on turn 1 instead of a creature or leaving mana open for a Flusterstorm/Pierce.
    Cage usually is not a problem for storm postboard since the best plan is to play control Tendrils by killing the creatures and reloading to maximum hand size.
    WantToPonder
    Team MTG Berlin

The Dragonstorm

3 straight 4-1s with the same list, but I still am not clear on when to take out probes/forces/dazes vs the other decks in the deck to beat section. Is there really not a +/- guide for such an established archetype?

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

3 straight 4-1s with the same list, but I still am not clear on when to take out probes/forces/dazes vs the other decks in the deck to beat section. Is there really not a +/- guide for such an established archetype?
    Most of the time it really depends on the MU (what else is new ;-)) I would cut Dazes before Probe or FoW, just because returning an Island isn't really good. Also, there is being on the play vs being on the draw, which can make you not want to cut Daze. Then again, playing against tempo (like other Delver-decks) you probably want to cut a FoW or two, because pitching a blue card can be a major disadvantage. In some cases, like vs Combo, you can probably cut a Probe or two in favor of more counters.

I would say, ask yourself what does Daze/ FoW/ Probe do for me in this particulair MU? What can be missed, and what do I need? Answer that question, and you'll know what to cut.

Question to all: do you guys like to have a Discord-channel?
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Yes! Or we can just hijack the /r/spikes legacy discord

Please, make one. I'd like that.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Re: [Deck] U/R Delver

Alright, made ine.

https://discord.gg/3Mrqre

Dome minor details will be added later today.
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Dec 2016
    Toronto Canada

With the next DTB update happening, I am working on writing up on the Czech Pile and Stoneblade matchups. I am also working on including a favoured/unfavoured guide for all decks mentioned in the primer.

Hey guys, Burn player here switching to U/R Delver since I recently acquired 2 Volcanic Islands. What are the deck's worst matchups and should I be on 1 or 2 Bedlam Revelers since I currently only have 2 Volcs?

Dec 2016
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by hamie96 View Post
    Hey guys, Burn player here switching to U/R Delver since I recently acquired 2 Volcanic Islands. What are the deck's worst matchups and should I be on 1 or 2 Bedlam Revelers since I currently only have 2 Volcs?
    Your worst mathup hands down is Turbo Depths. They can win the game without casting a single spell and you have no way to interact with their lands. They can also strip your hand with discard to take away from your clock, and you don't any good answers that hit Marit Lage other than Vapor Snag (which IMO isn't that great). Other matchups you aren't happy to see are fast combo decks that can protect their combo. Sneak&Show and ANT can both back up their combo and their goldfish is faster than yours. These matchups get better if you are playing Soul-Scar Mage however, because it is more pressure on turn 1 and allows you to have more explosive turns in terms of damage output.

I have said this before and I'll say it again. You are better off playing a Steam Vents over more basic lands, I played UR Delver with a Steam Vents for a while and it was fine, but certainly far from optimal. In regards to Bedlam Reveler, I think it is excellent in the sideboard for grindier matchups like Czech Pile. I feel it is just slightly too slow to make the cut for the main deck.

+1 for steam vents over a basic. The life loss is not ideal but often you can avoid it with an end of opponent's turn fetch and mana versatility is important as you have few colourless mana costs.

I have been maindecking bedlam for a bit but am going to cut it for next tournament in favour of a fireblast. In a lot of combo match ups you are better off just winning on turn 3 than trying to fight the combo and fireblast helps a lot there.

Also there could be a case for having a couple wasteland in the side as land-based decks are very hard to deal with an blood moon is a bit too slow. Also thinking of going to three smash to smithereens in side as there's a ton of chalice of the void hate around right now and it just kills the deck hard. A chalice resolving turn 1 or 2 is very hard on this deck.

Thread Information