Thread: [Article] This Week in Legacy: December Statistics and January Legacy Challenge

[Article] This Week in Legacy: December Statistics and January Legacy Challenge

Weekly article is up, this time breaking down the stats from December that has gone past. Furthermore, I have a look at the Legacy Challenge results from Magic Online this month.

Enjoy!

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...gacy-challenge

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Re: [Article] This Week in Legacy: December Statistics and January Legacy Challenge

Always a sucker for stats, nice article.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: [Article] This Week in Legacy: December Statistics and January Legacy Challenge

This article has reminded me how boring legacy has become. Not that your article was bad, but nothing new to see here in terms of deck represented. I do love that the Depths deck is literally just blue for brainstorm because he figured out finally that if you're not playing brainstorm you're wasting your time playing legacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    This article has reminded me how boring legacy has become. Not that your article was bad, but nothing new to see here in terms of deck represented. I do love that the Depths deck is literally just blue for brainstorm because he figured out finally that if you're not playing brainstorm you're wasting your time playing legacy.
    You see exactly what you look for.

I always read your articles, keep up the good work!

Usually Turbo Depths is B/G, as the article also indicated. You could also say that with B/G TurboDepths a fast and competitive combodeck has risen, with lots of protection and tutors, although it's nonblue. Who needs cantrips when you have crop rotation, into the north, sylvan scrying or expedition map? Or Force of Will if you have discard, Not of this World and Sejiri Steppe?

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    I
    Who needs cantrips when you have crop rotation, into the north, sylvan scrying or expedition map? Or Force of Will if you have discard, Not of this World and Sejiri Steppe?
    I'm guessing people who don't like drawing their 1 off crop rotation targets and also like having the ability to fix their hands instead of drawing cards they don't need in that situation.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

People massively overrated the one-of crop rotation targets

It's basically tinker but instead of a giant robot, you get a MARIT LAGE.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

Been on the BUG (well it was 5 color originally) Depths for about 2 years now. I figured out that Brainstorm was the best card in the format a long time ago. :) For the record though, the Flusterstorms and Stifle are major additions to the deck and are also a big reason blue is in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    People massively overrated the one-of crop rotation targets

It's basically tinker but instead of a giant robot, you get a MARIT LAGE.
    They can, but I've won a ton of games by putting Steppe or Bog back into my deck and then rotating for them. It's even come up where I draw the BS that turn and the opponent has seen my hand thinking they don't have to play around the land in hand. It's obviously not the main reason BS is in the deck, but it's added value for sure.

I understand that the decks being represented aren't anything too new (though Reid's BUG list does importantly shake up this, and Leovold is likely to be found in new shells too), but since Legacy develops relatively slowly I think that's to be somewhat expected. I think more importantly is to look at the cyclical nature of the format - eg. BUG decks resurging, Eldrazi taking a hit - and what this means for weeks ahead - for example, it could indicate Storm coming back out of the woodwork (which is what the data already seems to imply).

To some this may be dull, but I find these more subtle shifts pretty fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Negator77' View Post
    Been on the BUG (well it was 5 color originally) Depths for about 2 years now. I figured out that Brainstorm was the best card in the format a long time ago. :) For the record though, the Flusterstorms and Stifle are major additions to the deck and are also a big reason blue is in it.

They can, but I've won a ton of games by putting Steppe or Bog back into my deck and then rotating for them. It's even come up where I draw the BS that turn and the opponent has seen my hand thinking they don't have to play around the land in hand. It's obviously not the main reason BS is in the deck, but it's added value for sure.
    Glad you've been reading Negator77, I've definitely been seeing how your deck has progressed over the years (I remember when it had a bit more of a... Wild... Mana base) but wanted to highlight your list with blue cards after BG has become the "stock" list in the recent year and that it's still certainly a viable options. Good job with the finishes with the deck. :)

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalBurns View Post
    To some this may be dull, but I find these more subtle shifts pretty fascinating.
    You're not alone, I love following these subtle shifts too. Really enjoy all your articles, keep up the good work :)
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalBurns View Post

Glad you've been reading Negator77, I've definitely been seeing how your deck has progressed over the years (I remember when it had a bit more of a... Wild... Mana base) but wanted to highlight your list with blue cards after BG has become the "stock" list in the recent year and that it's still certainly a viable options. Good job with the finishes with the deck. :)
    Def not dull for me either. I actively looked forward to your posts on the other site even if it was way more sporadic back then. The new schedule is great for getting solid legacy content and a ton of decklists to check out every week.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. One of these days, I'm going to write something real up about the deck and either post it in the depths thread here or find another spot.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

This article has reminded me how boring legacy has become. Not that your article was bad, but nothing new to see here in terms of deck represented.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartesian View Post
    You see exactly what you look for.
    Flavor text for The Source.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

He sees more than others do because he knows where to look.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Thread Information