Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: [SCD] Survival of the fittest decklist challenge

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: [SCD] Survival of the fittest decklist challenge

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    people are posting decks with 14 creatures and 4 survivals ... (gets popcorn)
    It's fine. You get 4 brainstorm. RUG Delver only played 6 actual lands for years when 20% of the meta was Maverick and it was fine because Derpstorm
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

We have seem people playing brainstorm with 16 blue cards total. Its not too different. Would not do either personally
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    We have seem people playing brainstorm with 16 blue cards total. Its not too different. Would not do either personally
    Well, I thought you were a TES player, enjoying 4 brainstorms in a deck with 12 blue cards.

Maybe you meant Force of Will ;)

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Well, I thought you were a TES player, enjoying 4 brainstorms in a deck with 12 blue cards.

Maybe you meant Force of Will ;)
    Yeah, obvious brainfart xD
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
    Dec 2003
    Fredericksburg, Va

If you want to consider whether survival would be healthy to unban, you should start with the gwb lists that ultimately got the card axed. Gerry's list that was posted earlier is a good example of one.

Jesse and I were developing the deck alongside Gerry, and it was a lot of fun, but it was easily one of the most overpowered decks I've ever played. The last decklists were a bit inbred due to importance of winning survival mirrors in that format, but it would take very little updating to adapt this monster for today's Legacy.

Almost everyone in this thread seems to be designing survival decks from scratch, using the philosophies people used before vengevine came along, but that does not do the card justice. With vengevine/ooze survival, your goal is simply to untap once with a survival or fauna shaman in play, then find a way to kill your opponent immediately. The toolbox nature of survival is used to provide resiliency, not value. It is a turn 3 combo deck with multiple angles of attack, a full package of hard tutors, and the potential ability to reactively find the answer to every hate card the opponent has.

Pick up Gerry's list and play around with it. The optimal way of building a modern survival deck is going to look a lot like that, and I don't think it would be good for Legacy to have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9
    I can show up whenever I vomit off my hangover and get rid of the passed out females who's naked bodies will be sprawled out all over my condo. Oh wait, I'm engaged. FUCK.

Well in that case I can be there at like 2 then, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheBestEver View Post
    I built my car with my bare hands. It has 32 engines and 17 gas pedals so I can go extra-turbo fast. I sold it for a million dollars and then stole it from the guy using my super computer that can hack into any car in the world as long as I built it. Now I speed down the highway listening to Bruce Springsteen at max volume and flipping off other drivers.

What are regrets?

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate Freely View Post
    If you want to consider whether survival would be healthy to unban, you should start with the gwb lists that ultimately got the card axed. Gerry's list that was posted earlier is a good example of one.

Jesse and I were developing the deck alongside Gerry, and it was a lot of fun, but it was easily one of the most overpowered decks I've ever played. The last decklists were a bit inbred due to importance of winning survival mirrors in that format, but it would take very little updating to adapt this monster for today's Legacy.

Almost everyone in this thread seems to be designing survival decks from scratch, using the philosophies people used before vengevine came along, but that does not do the card justice. With vengevine/ooze survival, your goal is simply to untap once with a survival or fauna shaman in play, then find a way to kill your opponent immediately. The toolbox nature of survival is used to provide resiliency, not value. It is a turn 3 combo deck with multiple angles of attack, a full package of hard tutors, and the potential ability to reactively find the answer to every hate card the opponent has.

Pick up Gerry's list and play around with it. The optimal way of building a modern survival deck is going to look a lot like that, and I don't think it would be good for Legacy to have it.
    Cheers, I'll start with those sort of lists then. I still don't see dumping Vengevines or the Trike + Devourer + Ooze combo to even be close to the power level of Show and Tell or Elves or Brainstorm or ANT or Brainstorm. Did I mention Brainstorm? I don't even see how this beats Death and Taxes reliably.

Then again, maybe I'm looking at it wrong. Do you find Show and Tell/Griselbrand.dec/TES/Elves/insert any fast + uninteractive combo deck good for Legacy to have? If the answer is no, then fair enough. If the answer is yes, my question is what separates combo-survival from the above?
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate Freely View Post

Gerry's list was my starting point (i don't remember if actually linked it in the OP however), and i found it decisively mediocre in today's metagame. Multiple angles of attack doesn't mean a lot when every angle of attack use the graveyard or a 2 cmc permanent which are vulnerable to two most common answer cards in the format (DRS and AD). "Toolbox resiliency" can also be used as another word for "terrible mulligans", and reactively finding answers is not a good thing when you are slower than a lot of the decks in the format, paying 6 mana to cast a sorcery speed disenchant isn't a good look (survival for reclamation sage) etc...

EDIT: nvm i remembered it wrong, it wasn't Jerry's list i started from, but Caleb's one. Disdregard that part of my post. I guess this isGerry's list you are talking about?

It is a turn 3 combo deck with multiple angles of attack, a full package of hard tutors, and the potential ability to reactively find the answer to every hate card the opponent has.
    Huh, that sounds familiar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Remind me what Necrotic Ooze costs to cast again?

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Remind me what Necrotic Ooze costs to cast again?
    1 more than Emrakul/Griselbrand.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Oh man. Now I want to pitch a Griselbrand to Fauna Shaman and cast an Ooze. This deck can never beat an opposing Deathrite, but fuck it
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Thread Information