Thread: Scrap Trawler and Cataclysm

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Scrap Trawler and Cataclysm

Let's say I have a big board of artifacts and a Scrap Trawler, then my opponent Cataclysms. If I keep Trawler as my one creature, will it let me return stuff I sacrificed, or just artifacts that were in the yard pre-Cataclysm?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: Scrap Trawler and Cataclysm

The artifacts have to hit the bin before the Trawler can trigger. That means all artifacts (Saced or otherwise) in the grave are legal targets for the triggers.
    1. Cat fires
    2. Your things get saced
    3. Trawler sees the artifacts leaving the battlefield and triggers

Because 2 happens before 3, you get to pick from a full bin.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

So then White Artifact Trawler Stax has to become a deck, right?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    So then White Artifact Trawler Stax has to become a deck, right?
    Yes. Please make this happen.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Additional question on the same subject:

I have a board of trawler + artifact creature costing 2, Artifact creature costing 4.
    My opponent plays wrath of god.

If my understanding is correct, Trawler sees all other artifacts dying at the same time.
    SO each artifact creature going to the grave will trigger the trawler's ability.
    I can then use the trawler's ability for the artifact creature costing 4 to retrieve the trawler, and the one triggering from the trawler's death itself to retrieve the artifact creature costing 2.

Am i right?

For me it works like other triggered ability triggering when a creature dies. If it's on a creature, it sees other creatures dying at the same time as here, and the ability triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Additional question on the same subject:

I have a board of trawler + artifact creature costing 2, Artifact creature costing 4.
    My opponent plays wrath of god.

If my understanding is correct, Trawler sees all other artifacts dying at the same time.
    SO each artifact creature going to the grave will trigger the trawler's ability.
    I can then use the trawler's ability for the artifact creature costing 4 to retrieve the trawler, and the one triggering from the trawler's death itself to retrieve the artifact creature costing 2.

Am i right?

For me it works like other triggered ability triggering when a creature dies. If it's on a creature, it sees other creatures dying at the same time as here, and the ability triggers.
    You are correct, yes. See specifically 603.10: http://yawgatog.com/resources/magic-rules/#R60310

It doesn't have anything to do with being a creature or not though. Any permanent leaving the battlefield will "see" other permanents leaving at the same time.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information