Thread: Show and Tell: Grave Titan vs Flickerwisp

Sep 2015
    Auir

Show and Tell: Grave Titan vs Flickerwisp

I decided to improve my skills in Magic for I would like to invest more time in playing Legacy.

I will have several questions to have a better understanding how priority & stack works when triggered abilities are on the stack.

Me: Have Show and Tell & Grave Titan in hand. I cast Show and Tell. Show and Tell resolves. I have Grave Titan to be put into play
    Opponent: Has Flickerwisp in hand to be put into play.

Question 1: Do I have the priority to designate which card will go to stack first?

Question 2: Are the following assumptions correct?
    • If Grave Titan goes to stack first, then Flickerwisp will resolve first & it won't have valid Grave Titan or zombie tokens as a valid target for Grave Titan will resolve first.
    • If Flickerwisp goes to stack first, then Grave Titan will resolve first & Flickerwisp will both have Grave Titan & Zombie Tokens as a valid target.

Question 3: Assuming that my opponent will either bounce Grave Titan or Zombie Token only (not other permanents such as lands). Is there a board situation that I can force him/her only target Grave Titan but not the zombie tokens ?

Re: Show and Tell: Grave Titan vs Flickerwisp

4/1/2008: The current player chooses first, then each other player chooses in turn order. A player does not have to reveal the chosen card, so long as it is clear *which* card was chosen. After all choices are made, the cards are put onto the battlefield simultaneously.

Both Flickerwisp and Grave Titan will enter the battlefield at the same time. Both abilities will trigger at the same time. When multiple triggered abilities controlled by different players trigger at the same time, the triggers controlled by the active player (the player whose turn it is, ie. you) go on the stack first. The non-active player's triggered abilities will go on the stack last, and therefore resolve first:

603.3b If multiple abilities have triggered since the last time a player received priority, each player, in APNAP order, puts triggered abilities he or she controls on the stack in any order he or she chooses. (See rule 101.4.) Then the game once again checks for and resolves state-based actions until none are performed, then abilities that triggered during this process go on the stack. This process repeats until no new state-based actions are performed and no abilities trigger. Then the appropriate player gets priority.

However, when triggered abilities have a target, the target must be declared when the ability is placed on the stack. In this situation, the two triggered abilities go on the stack at the same time, so when your opponent must choose a target for Flickerwisp Grave Titan's trigger has not resolved yet and there are no Zombies to target. If there were no other permanents on the battlefield, the triggered ability of Flickerwisp would be forced to target Grave Titan, but remember that Flickerwisp's ability is allowed to target lands.

603.3d The remainder of the process for putting a triggered ability on the stack is identical to the process for casting a spell listed in rules 601.2c–d. If a choice is required when the triggered ability goes on the stack but no legal choices can be made for it, or if a rule or a continuous effect otherwise makes the ability illegal, the ability is simply removed from the stack.

601.2c The player announces his or her choice of an appropriate player, object, or zone for each target the spell requires.(...)

Therefore:
    Question 1: No
    Question 2: Show and tell does not work this way: it does not put the chosen permanents on the stack to then later resolve one-by-one, it merely puts them directly onto the battlefield at the same time
    Question 3: Your opponent is forced to target Grave Titan with the Flickerwisp trigger if there is exactly 0 other (targetable) permanents in play when Show and Tell resolves (and this happens by default; there are no choices you need to announce to achieve this result). It is never possible for the Flickerwisp to flicker one of the Zombies made by the Grave Titan that just entered the battlefield, even if your opponent wants to.

Sep 2015
    Auir

Thank you very much @kombatkiwi

Nicely done answer.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information