Page 54 of 69 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1373

Thread: The current state of Magic

Re: The current state of Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    7 out of 8 decks in the PT were Goblin Chainwhirler decks: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...op-8-decklists

We're most likely going to see another Standard ban, since it was a huge part of the field AND had an extremely good conversation rate to Day 2.

The irony is Dominaria was the first set the new Playtest team did work on, exactly to prevent this kind of thing from happening.
    A ban of Goblin Chainwhirler is pretty unlikely, honestly. Monored/Rakdos Aggro was already a pretty good deck in the format even before Goblin Chainwhirler entered into it. Its high level of play seems to more be a symptom than a cause.

Even if the question shifts to being a ban of something other than Goblin Chainwhirler, rotation is in just a few months and half of the deck rotates out. I don't think we'll be seeing changes as a result.

Of course, Pro Tour results are a pretty lousy way to judge a metagame anyway considering 37.5% of what decided the Top 8 was draft, which has nothing to do with the decks they were playing in the constructed portion. It makes it surprising people use data from it at all when you consider that.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    A ban of Goblin Chainwhirler is pretty unlikely, honestly. Monored/Rakdos Aggro was already a pretty good deck in the format even before Goblin Chainwhirler entered into it. Its high level of play seems to more be a symptom than a cause.

Even if the question shifts to being a ban of something other than Goblin Chainwhirler, rotation is in just a few months and half of the deck rotates out. I don't think we'll be seeing changes as a result.

Of course, Pro Tour results are a pretty lousy way to judge a metagame anyway considering 37.5% of what decided the Top 8 was draft, which has nothing to do with the decks they were playing in the constructed portion. It makes it surprising people use data from it at all when you consider that.
    They've banned Rampaging Ferocidon and Chainwhirler is arguably a even better, more suppressive card. Question is if WotC can afford another 4 months of shitty Standard?

I really wonder if things would have been different if protection had been still around instead of that garbage "hexproof from X".

They've banned Rampaging Ferocidon and Chainwhirler is arguably a even better, more suppressive card. Question is if WotC can afford another 4 months of shitty Standard?

I really wonder if things would have been different if protection had been still around instead of that garbage "hexproof from X".
    Nah, the dino stopped lifegain and had evasion. The whirler is just an undercosted body with an aoe 187.

Mar 2007

If you only look at the Constructed portion, it still outperformed the field by a significant margin:

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/sta...85042246963200

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

rotation is in just a few months and half of the deck rotates out. I don't think we'll be seeing changes as a result.
    Agreed. The problem is self-correcting due to the impending rotation. Standard with Dominaria has been very popular, and if anything is dominating, the deck won't be around long, so there's no real incentive for WOTC to ban.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Agreed. The problem is self-correcting due to the impending rotation. Standard with Dominaria has been very popular, and if anything is dominating, the deck won't be around long, so there's no real incentive for WOTC to ban.
    But are the 4 months of misery worth it, especially now that it's clearly established that Chainwhirler is the best deck? Popularity can die down very easily in such a meta.

But are the 4 months of misery worth it, especially now that it's clearly established that Chainwhirler is the best deck? Popularity can die down very easily in such a meta.
    Well the last 2 years or so of standard has been miserable whats another 4 months?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I think the future of Magic may lay with a sequence of non rotating formats. When Modern becomes too expensive we see something new. Even though they can print a who's who of Modern in a tin and ship it. Like Extended but slower.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2007

I think the future of Magic may lay with a sequence of non rotating formats. When Modern becomes too expensive we see something new. Even though they can print a who's who of Modern in a tin and ship it. Like Extended but slower.
    Standard is mainly hold up by official tournament support. The other formats are the stuff people actually want to play, hence e.g. Modern taking over Standard in terms of popularity and EDH being probably the most popular format overall due to all the kitchen table players.

I'm suprised they don't cash in on the Commander/Modern popularity, though. Brawl is a pretty stupid idea born from Arena, given how limited the cardpool is and the fact that it's rotating, aka casual poison. Why don't they make a Modern Commander version, though? It isn't rotating, has a deeper cardpool than Standard and doesn't require all those silly old (Reserve List) cards that cost a fortune. Plus, they could push out even more product that way (EDH precons AND Modern Commander precons).

Aug 2015
    The woods again

I actually don't think that'd be a bad thing at all—depending on the execution. In its favor, such a system would provide people entering the game at any point the opportunity to pursue something older without a prohibitive barrier to entry. I worry less that Legacy is dying than that Modern is becoming inaccessible; draft Magic is fun, but there's only so much one can handle while still feeling involved in a game that keeps printing Grizzly Bears. If Standard is the only other way to play, why collect at all?
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

"Chainwhirler" isn't a deck. It's just a card that gets played in some decks. In all honesty, it's not even that impressive of a card, it's just a solid 3-drop so it provides an intersection between R/BR Aggro and BR Midrange, hence it being played in both.

I'm not sure if we'd even have "4 months of misery." The various Standard players I've talked to before this Pro Tour thought the format was in a pretty good place. And it's not as if this deck was an unknown quantity, people were playing it and while it was great, it wasn't dominating anything close to this. So I suspect there was something about the Pro Tour metagame that made it behave better than at the previous events it was being played at.

Of course, its dominance at the Pro Tour may cause a lot of people to pick it up and be annoying on that matter, i.e. not that it's overpowered, but because it's overplayed.

EDIT: Never mind, I didn't see GP Birmingham which actually had a similar-looking Top 8. That said, I really don't think Chainwhirler is the problem, but people are probably just going to see it's a 4-of in the various decks and jump to blaming it rather than the actually more powerful cards. It's just the default 3-drop for lack of other competition, but isn't what really puts the decks over the top, at least not any more than anything else in it.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

I think it's funny how many people want a new non-rotating format. So we've got a whole 'nother rotation. It's like standard but they applied some kind of extension to it. What could we call it? Something that's been extended would be called... wait! That's it! We'll call it Extended!
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    I think it's funny how many people want a new non-rotating format. So we've got a whole 'nother rotation. It's like standard but they applied some kind of extension to it. What could we call it? Something that's been extended would be called... wait! That's it! We'll call it Extended!
    Am I the only one that actually enjoyed extended? I'll admit I didn't play super competitively, but it was just cool before I played legacy to play a bigger standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Am I the only one that actually enjoyed extended? I'll admit I didn't play super competitively, but it was just cool before I played legacy to play a bigger standard.
    I enjoyed the Extended that predated Legacy. Once WOTC got rid of duals and a truckload of other format staples, the format was a lot worse. My personal view is that nonrotating formats are almost always better than rotating formats. What initially attracted me to Legacy when I came back to the game was that it reminded me of the old Extended.

A sequence of non-rotating formats aka rotating formats

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

The 7-year rotation Extended was my favorite format to date. Cards lasted a long time and always had a chance to be reprinted. Mana bases were good but not broken. The top decks were more powerful than Modern decks but not as good as Legacy.

When I was playing, Zoo, Thopter-Depths, Dredge, Hypergenesis, Affinity, All-In-Red, and Elfball were all top strategies.

Mar 2007

I loved old Extended. Then Tempest-Onslaught block rotated and it was just only kinda alright. Then the next rotation kicked in three years later which was pretty much the death blow for the format. Then WotC had double down on it and made the list of sets even shorter before completely killing it.

Old timer in my late 30s that doesn't play anymore other than the occasional MTGO logon. I feel like legacy is going the way of vintage or it is already that way.

I know this was proposed a long time ago on some other forum but you can have non-rotating formats by having a point rating assigned to cards. So you get a point based spending limit to construct your deck with. For example the spending limit could be 50 points and basic lands cost 0 points with other cards getting a point value from 1-5 points. It gives the flexibility to still use every card ever printed and also the ability to adjust the power level of each card as they can always change its point value.
    The idea might work or might be crap just throwing it out there.

I was a huge fan of 100 card singleton and Kaleidoscope on MTGO and I love new competitive formats. Unfortunately the only new format we got recently is brawl which is just 60-card standard commander.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonspell View Post
    Old timer in my late 30s that doesn't play anymore other than the occasional MTGO logon. I feel like legacy is going the way of vintage or it is already that way.

I know this was proposed a long time ago on some other forum but you can have non-rotating formats by having a point rating assigned to cards. So you get a point based spending limit to construct your deck with. For example the spending limit could be 50 points and basic lands cost 0 points with other cards getting a point value from 1-5 points. It gives the flexibility to still use every card ever printed and also the ability to adjust the power level of each card as they can always change its point value.
    The idea might work or might be crap just throwing it out there.

I was a huge fan of 100 card singleton and Kaleidoscope on MTGO and I love new competitive formats. Unfortunately the only new format we got recently is brawl which is just 60-card standard commander.
    One version of what you are describing is called Canadian Highlander (https://canadianhighlander.wordpress...tro-to-format/) though as far as I know it is only really popular on the west coast of North America.

The current state of magic: Underground Sea buyout.

Thread Information