Page 49 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: The current state of Magic

Re: The current state of Magic

Assigning 61.4 million to Toys R Us is pretty disingenous. The stuff was still selling before, it just wasnt selling at ToysRus, which is why they went out of business.

Looking at that "math" as an mba, I'm kinda skeptical. It reads like the crap you put out if you're trying to convince someone that bad is actually good. i.e. Look, sales are only down because struggling retailer went out of business and the old guy we fired put out a bad product and we didn't release as much product and peoples dogs were sick a lot this year. But LOOK, our new thing! SUPER SHINY! BEST EVER!

What's the saying, Data can be manipulated to prove anything? Kinda smelled like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    What's the saying, Data can be manipulated to prove anything? Kinda smelled like that.
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (allegedly) Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Assigning 61.4 million to Toys R Us is pretty disingenous. The stuff was still selling before, it just wasnt selling at ToysRus, which is why they went out of business.

Looking at that "math" as an mba, I'm kinda skeptical. It reads like the crap you put out if you're trying to convince someone that bad is actually good. i.e. Look, sales are only down because struggling retailer went out of business and the old guy we fired put out a bad product and we didn't release as much product and peoples dogs were sick a lot this year. But LOOK, our new thing! SUPER SHINY! BEST EVER!
    I'm pretty sure that Toys r Us went bankrupt because of unsustainable debt incurred by the leveraged buyout that happened in the mid 00s more than anything else.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Toys r Us went bankrupt because of unsustainable debt incurred by the leveraged buyout that happened in the mid 00s more than anything else.
    Yep. Toys of the last few years was making money, just not enough money to overtake the greed that had put it in an unsustainable position.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Aside from Richard Shay tweeting about how the bending issues aren't fixed with the new coating, there's also Ewan Erwin requesting pictures of printing errors.

On a slightly different note
    Kelly Digges, creative lead of Dominaria, has suddenly stopped working for WotC. Probably got fired.

I played in a Dominaria draft the other night. The set is a lot of fun and feels very old school. I managed to do well with a deck that basically made it off of a few crappy blockers, 7 main deck counterspells (including 5x Syncopate), bounce spells with stapled on card advantage, and 2x 10 mana finishers (Josu Vess, Lich Knight and Slinn Voda, the Rising Deep).

Buuut... the cards were all weirdly warped right out of the pack. Sitting on a shelf you can instantly tell which cards are from Dominaria from across the room. For extra amusement, they warp the opposite direction of the few foil cards I have from other sets.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Aside from Richard Shay tweeting about how the bending issues aren't fixed with the new coating, there's also Ewan Erwin requesting pictures of printing errors.
    The only thing surprising there is that Erwin doesn't work for Wizards, assuming "Marketing Manager for CoolStuffInc" is correct. Working in manufacturing myself, I would want Wizards to be collecting print error data from the field so they could correct going forward...instead of just putting their heads in the sand. Quality can catch a lot of stuff, but invariably you'll have escapes.
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Mar 2007

The only thing surprising there is that Erwin doesn't work for Wizards, assuming "Marketing Manager for CoolStuffInc" is correct. Working in manufacturing myself, I would want Wizards to be collecting print error data from the field so they could correct going forward...instead of just putting their heads in the sand. Quality can catch a lot of stuff, but invariably you'll have escapes.
    Question is how openly WotC can admit that they're selling faulty product before getting hit with a class-action lawsuit.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Bosque View Post
    I played in a Dominaria draft the other night. The set is a lot of fun and feels very old school. I managed to do well with a deck that basically made it off of a few crappy blockers, 7 main deck counterspells (including 5x Syncopate), bounce spells with stapled on card advantage, and 2x 10 mana finishers (Josu Vess, Lich Knight and Slinn Voda, the Rising Deep).

Buuut... the cards were all weirdly warped right out of the pack. Sitting on a shelf you can instantly tell which cards are from Dominaria from across the room. For extra amusement, they warp the opposite direction of the few foil cards I have from other sets.
    Are foils warped or is it every card? Foils suck
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Question is how openly WotC can admit that they're selling faulty product before getting hit with a class-action lawsuit.
    They're only open to a suit if they knowingly sold faulty product. If they just tried to skimp on costs and made something bad by accident, not so much. Even when Pinto's were blowing up and killing people, Ford only got busted once it was proven they knew about the bad gas tanks ahead of time.

Mar 2007

They're only open to a suit if they knowingly sold faulty product. If they just tried to skimp on costs and made something bad by accident, not so much. Even when Pinto's were blowing up and killing people, Ford only got busted once it was proven they knew about the bad gas tanks ahead of time.
    Given how bad the card stock is now for 1-1.5 years by now, I don't think it's an "accident" anymore, like the failure that was the paper Modern Masters 2015 packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Are foils warped or is it every card? Foils suck
    Foils do suck, and I avoid them like the plague but have a couple where the foils were cheaper than regular printings (Imperial Recruiter, Ajani Vengeant). But no, every card is warped, not just foils.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

How do you prove the product is faulty?

Wizards appears to have fired their VP of Production.

Maro's said in an article on the Mothership that Wizards is considering a Return to Dominaria only because the set was so well received. Glad they decided to not throw away all of the history of the game.

OMG.

Saffron Olive has an article up on Arena at mtggoldfish today.

The comments are fucking priceless. Literally the only people in the comments saying the economy is ok and they can build what they want are the ones saying they spent $500+ on gems.

BAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHA.

Like, I mean, ffs, make the game generous, get people in, sell Judge Promo art and full art cards and shit to make your $$ back. This should be the most brain dead easy decision in the world, and they're going to fuck it up.

That's amazing.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Is that a real fucking card?!?!?!?

Ha. Hahahahahaha.

Remember when a 2/2 one drop was so strong it could only be white and had to have the Legendary tag on it as a drawback? Ah, fun times.

Still way worse than Delver.

Which is also Blue.

Because of course.

Mar 2007

Wizards appears to have fired their VP of Production.
    Interesting - where did you get that from?

Maro's said in an article on the Mothership that Wizards is considering a Return to Dominaria only because the set was so well received. Glad they decided to not throw away all of the history of the game.
    People love Dominaria since it's the core lore of the game. It's mindboggling how deep they have their heads in their asses thinking to skip Dominaria like that. I'd take more Dominaria over garbage settings like Amonkhet or especially Ixalan every day of the week.

Like, I mean, ffs, make the game generous, get people in, sell Judge Promo art and full art cards and shit to make your $$ back. This should be the most brain dead easy decision in the world, and they're going to fuck it up.

That's amazing.
    Apparently they've hired three people regarding online economies in the wake of making Arena, which begs the question what in the name of fuck these people are doing. I wouldn't be suprised if they came from the mobile game sector, trying to make the most exploitative economy possible. Thing is, those peopke don't understand how the game works - and that will be Arena's downfall.

Edit: One of the best parts is WotC having no idea how to handle rotations properly and just handwaves it. That pure amount of hubris, ignorance and stupidity is stellar.

Saw that VP firing mentioned by a friend, appears to be a Rudy video. Not sure of the legitimacy past that.

But what flavor of hat will Dominaria get in the Return set?????

Thread Information