Page 35 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: The current state of Magic

Aug 2007
    Williamsburg, Brooklyn

Re: The current state of Magic

I guess you could still play the Mirage fetches. No cross-color ones, and obviously vulnerable to Waste. But maybe better than nothing? Wouldn't work in Tempo, but should be fine in 4C and Miracles.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMycon
    It's really unfortunate that even a complete imbecile can learn. I guess you truly can't drive intuition out of anything.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Fetch ban would probably kill legacy simply from a priced out stand point. Current prices make it difficult for many. Fetch ban could maybe almost double the price. An average Grixis/ BUG deck already retails for the price of a used car. Just think if that price climbed closer to vintage prices?
    I'll be bold:

Does it make a big difference for a 14yo showing interrest in the format if a compeditive deck is 1.6k or potentially 2.5k? In my books both are a totally unacceptable barrier to join the physical format. Joke is that MTGO isn't reasonable either. Can't blame people rather playing Hearthstone, Poker, etc from a monetary perspective.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    This is absolutely a fantasy. The suggestion that below TNN there is some egalitarian plateau of 3 drop creatures that are all equally playable is stupid. People will just figure out what the best one is and then use that, c.f. every single other time a card/deck has been banned.

If this is true (that putting non-protection 3 drops in your deck is currently such a huge liability) then getting rid of TNN/Leovold means that people don't play 3 drops anymore, not that Trygon Predator suddenly becomes playable.
    Part of the pressure on the three-drop slot is that TNN can block them which makes their "creature-ness" worthless. Take Ramunap Excavator as an example: What good is it to have an attacking Crucible if you can't attack with it AND it dies to creature removal?

The idea is that without TNN there will be more of a need to be considerate in fair deck construction. There are creatures that are vulnerable to different kinds of removal but have different payoffs for being in play. Decks will be built in a way to maximize that payoff while minimizing the impact of removal.

Then there is the subjective but present "fun" consideration. Completely uninteractive cards aren't fun or interesting. I had two TNNs out and lost to the other guy who had one TNN and a Jitte. Thrilling! All of these contribute to the larger concerns about staleness in Legacy.

If you're implying that TNN is analagous to Chupacabra then I feel like you completely missed the point of his argument. In Legacy TNN is far closer to his Baneslayer example.
    It's somewhere in between. TNN doesn't have a comes-into-play effect, but it does make creature removal less meaningful, which is the major complaint about the parade of ETB effects. You still have to untap with it to get value, yes; but it is incredibly likely that you WILL untap with it, because the few things that answer it are too inefficient to include en masse (unless Innocent Blood gets played a bunch, I suppose.)

Quote Originally Posted by taconaut View Post
    Edit: Also, about TNN, maybe I'm biased because I play storm and miracles (and other things that can generally just ignore it) is TNN really that big of a deal? Things you can do to beat it include:

- non-targeting -1/-1 effects (golgari charm, marsh casualties)
    - Meddling Mage effects
    - Counterspells (even in nonblue, as you can REB/Pyroblast it)
    - Council's Judgment
    - Edict Effects
    - Winning the game faster (Combos, stronger board state, even fliers or something?)

I feel like if the biggest problem with Legacy is, "my opponent sometimes has a Trained Armodon that I JUST CAN'T KILL," we are in a fantastic place. I'm not saying it's not boring, because it's definitely boring, but I can think of at least five things more miserable before getting to it in Legacy.
    Everything in Legacy can theoretically be answered. You could've made the same arguments about Cruise, Dig, and Top which were the last three cards banned. Gaddock Teeg! Phyrexian Revoker! Graveyard removal! Krosan Grip!

I'm not even really talking about banning here. I'm discussing TNN as a key reason for two of the complaints about the format ITT:

1. Legacy is too homogenized
    2. New cards can't impact Legacy

There are many cards that contribute to this fact, but TNN is toward the top of my list. Some may disagree, but it's just a discussion.

quotes:maharis
    This is absolutely a fantasy. The suggestion that below TNN there is some egalitarian plateau of 3 drop creatures that are all equally playable is stupid. People will just figure out what the best one is and then use that...
    I think w/o TNN, Czech and BUG decks probably ramp up the Leotards, while UW Blade decks might opt for Geist or Clique. Fish probably forgoes 3-drops altogether. Delver also probably ditches 3-drops of adopts Leo.

I think we might see more variety in 3 drops just because the next best options have different colour requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Part of the pressure on the three-drop slot is that TNN can block them which makes their "creature-ness" worthless. Take Ramunap Excavator as an example: What good is it to have an attacking Crucible if you can't attack with it AND it dies to creature removal?
    With Ramunap I doubt it would see much more play because Maverick already runs it and who else would even want to? Maybe a SB card vs Lands and D&T?
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Does it make a big difference for a 14yo showing interrest in the format if a compeditive deck is 1.6k or potentially 2.5k? In my books both are a totally unacceptable barrier to join the physical format.
    This might be true for the kids, but what about established players?

A lot of us would need to invest a tonne of money to acquire more duals at the newly inflated price-tag. Meanwhile selling out becomes more tempting than ever. I think all but the strongest communities would be in serious danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post

A lot of us would need to invest a tonne of money to acquire more duals at the newly inflated price-tag. Meanwhile selling out becomes more tempting than ever. I think all but the strongest communities would be in serious danger.
    The price trajectory has always been going to annihilate Legacy just as it did Vintage eventually. It's only a matter of when, not if.

The idea is that without TNN there will be more of a need to be considerate in fair deck construction. There are creatures that are vulnerable to different kinds of removal but have different payoffs for being in play. Decks will be built in a way to maximize that payoff while minimizing the impact of removal.

It's somewhere in between. TNN doesn't have a comes-into-play effect, but it does make creature removal less meaningful, which is the major complaint about the parade of ETB effects.
    If TNN is blocking, it's not killing you; doesn't that allow for some space to do busted things with lands from the bin? Also, at least in this comparison, how is TNN different from, say, a Gurmang Angler or a sufficiently large Tarmogoyf that is being Mazed?

I think the payoff for TNN is that it is very narrowly answerable - Ramunap Excavator may not be as hard to answer, but it can also allow you to do different degenerate things. It may very well be the most powerful thing a creature can be asked to do in Legacy is be both durable and unblockable (and certainly that is a boring role) but that ultimately doesn't really seem banworthy (which you acknowledged).

You still have to untap with it to get value, yes; but it is incredibly likely that you WILL untap with it, because the few things that answer it are too inefficient to include en masse (unless Innocent Blood gets played a bunch, I suppose.)

Everything in Legacy can theoretically be answered. You could've made the same arguments about Cruise, Dig, and Top which were the last three cards banned. Gaddock Teeg! Phyrexian Revoker! Graveyard removal! Krosan Grip!

I'm not even really talking about banning here.
    I actually think the answers to TNN are more broad and maindeckable in general than the answers to Treasure Cruise, Dig, and Top, but that's just a matter of degrees; I also wouldn't have banned Top, though, so maybe it's not for me to say. I'm just saying, if the issue is that a given deck just can't beat a sulfuric vortex for three or a hexproof darksteel myr, maybe it needs to make the concession of a couple of edict effects or something. That being said, I basically never play fair decks, so I might just not get the frustration on a gut level. I also think that Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time might just actually be on a different level in terms of power, answerable or not (ancestral recall versus arbitrary dude).

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    The price trajectory has always been going to annihilate Legacy just as it did Vintage eventually. It's only a matter of when, not if.
    The difference is the size of the established player base.

Legacy is fairly healthy (talking size, attendance), and only needs enough new players to counter the players who are dying or quitting.

Quote Originally Posted by taconaut View Post
    That being said, I basically never play fair decks, so I might just not get the frustration on a gut level.
    I think I am in a similar boat. Then again, fair deck players are rarely sympathetic when their hate-bears frustrate our more narrow strategies.

It's not always easy for us to see past our own perspectives. I play Lands, and the meta looks rich and diverse. All my matches are different, interesting, and fun.
    But maybe this is a very boring time to be playing fair-deck vs fair-deck Legacy.

Also, eg, I might think that if I can tolerate Sneak Show playing Lands, why are people playing FoW decks complaining? But maybe when you're not kicking the snot out of (almost) every fair deck in the field, S&T is a harder oil to swallow?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

As morgan_coke already hinted at, the end is inevitable with rising prices and the Legacy community getting constantly older and barely new, young players picking it up.

At some point local events die and people sell out. Happened to me with Vintage. I remember when we had weekly events in Munich with 50+ players FOR VINTAGE. Good old days
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

The difference is the size of the established player base.

Legacy is fairly healthy (talking size, attendance), and only needs enough new players to counter the players who are dying or quitting.
    Once upon a time that sentiment applied to Type I too. Matter of time man.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

As morgan_coke already hinted at, the end is inevitable with rising prices and the Legacy community getting constantly older and barely new, young players picking it up.

At some point local events die and people sell out. Happened to me with Vintage. I remember when we had weekly events in Munich with 50+ players FOR VINTAGE. Good old days
    I fixed a minor plumbing problem without making things worse last night! I practically got one foot in the grave over here! Won't be long before I sell the collection to pay for applesauce and adult diapers.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Anecdotes aside, are you actually saying Vintage once had as large a player base as Legacy has now?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I had this conversation the other day.

Standard sucks. Banning after banning, people will want to leave. They will move to Modern. But Modern will catch them and keep them. Your not going to move from a place where your deck costs a grand to where 3 cards in your mana base do. Your not going to find an easy time justifying that move.

People are moving into Modern, people are not moving out of it. Why would they? The scene is vibrant, they have no loyalty to Legacy and the idea that your lands don't hurt you is not worth the money it costs to play in our sand pit.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    I had this conversation the other day.

Standard sucks. Banning after banning, people will want to leave. They will move to Modern. But Modern will catch them and keep them. Your not going to move from a place where your deck costs a grand to where 3 cards in your mana base do. Your not going to find an easy time justifying that move.

People are moving into Modern, people are not moving out of it. Why would they? The scene is vibrant, they have no loyalty to Legacy and the idea that your lands don't hurt you is not worth the money it costs to play in our sand pit.
    I'm very seriously considering getting out of legacy into modern. For the price of like 2 decks in legacy I can probably build almost any deck in modern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Too tired to live, too lazy to die...
    Sep 2014
    On top of a mountain somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I'm very seriously considering getting out of legacy into modern. For the price of like 2 decks in legacy I can probably build almost any deck in modern.
    As someone who migrated to Legacy from Modern I gotta say that I would never consider selling my legacy deck to buy back into it. The games are so dependent on who you get matched up with and whether you draw your SB that skill doesn't feel like a factor. The formats don't even compare at this point. Legacy is way more fun.
    mise 'miz v alter. of might as well (1997) 1: to win when you don't deserve to 2: to top-deck the "tings" you need 3: to be rewarded by an opponent's bad luck 4: to coin a phrase that spreads through the tournament scene like wildfire 5: to fling a monkey 6: to split firewood using a sharp instrument 7: To burn

Agree there, it's not uncommon to see Modern players trying to see how they can port their deck to Legacy. Modern is much more of a coin flip format, no matter how much CFB constantly puts out articles saying otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Modern's nowhere near as bad as Legacy players crack it up to be, and Legacy's not quite as skilltesting or amazing as its playerbase claims. That's not to say that Modern's gameplay is quite as good as Legacy's, but when you factor in price and availability of games, ditching Legacy for Modern isn't the worst idea. The main reason I'd advise against it is you'd be selling out of the Reserved List and buying into regularly reprinted cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Misersoneof View Post
    As someone who migrated to Legacy from Modern I gotta say that I would never consider selling my legacy deck to buy back into it. The games are so dependent on who you get matched up with and whether you draw your SB that skill doesn't feel like a factor. The formats don't even compare at this point. Legacy is way more fun.
    You and I know that, but too many kids these days think of Legacy as a degenerate format of turn one wins.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Modern's nowhere near as bad as Legacy players crack it up to be, and Legacy's not quite as skilltesting or amazing as its playerbase claims. That's not to say that Modern's gameplay is quite as good as Legacy's, but when you factor in price and availability of games, ditching Legacy for Modern isn't the worst idea. The main reason I'd advise against it is you'd be selling out of the Reserved List and buying into regularly reprinted cards.
    Agreed completely here. The more I've played modern it's fine. Legacy isn't super interesting right now and I think in Modern you can do more off the wall stuff right now, though the top decks besides Death's Shadow do tend to try to be linear and ignore the opponent which is annoying. The whole selling RL stuff for non RL stuff is definitely the biggest factor in being hesitant. I'll still keep a deck for legacy, but meh. The format has passed me by. When I was actually top 8ing opens I paid way more attention to the format than I do now. Time to just build my one true love Deadguy again and ride away in the sunset
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Thread Information