Page 14 of 69 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: The current state of Magic

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: The current state of Magic

Quote Originally Posted by s&s View Post
    I don't understand people playing standard. That is all. :)
    IIRC from surveys, the main reason is tournament support. Certainly not because Standard is a deep, strategic format. Take away tournament support and it will die like a bitch. That could be one of the main reasons why WotC is pushing Standard so hard, because in their logic, more Standard tournaments = more Standard players = more $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    If WotC will ban some stuff AGAIN, the game is going full YuGiOh with the cycle of "print format warping stuff to sell packs, let the cards wreck the format for 8 weeks, ban the cards and promote the next format warping cards they'll print in the upcoming set"
    That's just hyperbole. It was never the goal of WotC to go full YuGiOh, it's more of a side-effect of piss-poor R&D. If they had printed proper answers in time, those problems wouldn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Watching the current MTGO Championship, I have to wonder if Standard implodes rather sooner than later. Considering the entire metagame is Twin combo, Mardu Vehicles and BG Aggro in roughly equal parts (according to tournament data) basically demands another round of bans next Monday, further shaking the format.

I also don't think that their overzealous focus on Standard is going to sell more packs. The overexposure to the format only gets people bored with it faster, not to mention it increases the speed the format is solved.

We're living in rather interesting (or boring, if you play Standard) times.
    Isn't standard supposed to be a super simple format though? An equally portioned rock/paper/scissors format seems like the goal for Wizards. Assuming the matchups line up like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I have a question and this may not be the best place to ask, but it's food for thought perhaps.

Why is it we hate Standard and yet (some) seem to love 93/94? It's basically the same bloody thing. A limited and solvable format. Sure, one is more complex than there other, even if the creatures are weaker, but all the same issues that we argue are present in Standard exist on Old School.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

That's just hyperbole. It was never the goal of WotC to go full YuGiOh, it's more of a side-effect of piss-poor R&D. If they had printed proper answers in time, those problems wouldn't exist.
    Well, I think it is probable that the bans had more to do with the way people's bitching about, and them capitulating on, the rotation schedule than it does with anything else. They didn't plan to have this Standard environment and it shows, they just have to wait for Q4 '17 to get back on track..

Not that I am really defending R&D's competence, given how they missed the whole Saheeli-Cat interaction, but I don't think we'll be seeing another Standard ban for a long time.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Why is it we hate Standard and yet (some) seem to love 93/94?
    Equal parts nostalgia and elitism.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Isn't standard supposed to be a super simple format though? An equally portioned rock/paper/scissors format seems like the goal for Wizards.
    Too bad their R&D keeps making it into rock/paper/bazooka/fighter jet.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

I have a question and this may not be the best place to ask, but it's food for thought perhaps.

Why is it we hate Standard and yet (some) seem to love 93/94? It's basically the same bloody thing. A limited and solvable format. Sure, one is more complex than there other, even if the creatures are weaker, but all the same issues that we argue are present in Standard exist on Old School.
    Nostalgia sustains Old School, tournament support and competitive drive drive Standard.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Well, I think it is probable that the bans had more to do with the way people's bitching about, and them capitulating on, the rotation schedule than it does with anything else. They didn't plan to have this Standard environment and it shows, they just have to wait for Q4 '17 to get back on track..

Not that I am really defending R&D's competence, given how they missed the whole Saheeli-Cat interaction, but I don't think we'll be seeing another Standard ban for a long time.
    The increased rotation schedule is probably more akin to what Lemnear described. Best example would be the fetchland/dual Standard they were willing to make because it would only last half a year. There definitely was a push towards more powerful cards due to shorter rotation times, but it doesn't explain the current fuck-ups.

Aside from Reflector Mage, which would have rotated in April, both Smuggler's Copter and Memerakul would have been in Standard for quite a while. Not to mention the dumb shit like Twin combo or Heart of Kiran as replacement for Copter. All of those would have plagued Standard for many more months even under the 1.5 year rotation schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Equal parts nostalgia and elitism.
    This - nostalgia and dickwaving. As somebody who started with Tempest, I simply don't care about it since I lack the nostalgia goggles.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

The increased rotation schedule is probably more akin to what Lemnear described. Best example would be the fetchland/dual Standard they were willing to make because it would only last half a year. There definitely was a push towards more powerful cards due to shorter rotation times, but it doesn't explain the current fuck-ups.

Aside from Reflector Mage, which would have rotated in April, both Smuggler's Copter and Memerakul would have been in Standard for quite a while. Not to mention the dumb shit like Twin combo or Heart of Kiran as replacement for Copter. All of those would have plagued Standard for many more months even under the 1.5 year rotation schedule.
    Well, I didn't mean that Copter and Emmy weren't mistakes, but rather the bans was necessitated by the botched rotation change. A larger card pool doesn't really mean more things are viable, a priori, consider Vintage, for example.

Then again, I haven't played Standard since 2011, so maybe I'm wrong and rotation or not they all get banned (well not the Mage, it would have just rotated).
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Well, I didn't mean that Copter and Emmy weren't mistakes, but rather the bans was necessitated by the botched rotation change.
    The bans were necessary because player attendance dropped to a degree that Wizards did panic. As I said before, even with the faster rotation around, Standard couldn't handle another 9 months of Emrakul or 15 months of Copter. Blaming the rotation completely misses the point, especially when they just introduced another set of cards that might get the axe (Guardian/Heart of Kiran). Wizards even admitted they were too laid back in the past when it came to Standard bans. Collected Company might have been banned under the current system.

On a different note:
    People love to bitch about Modern being "unhealty right now", but was there ever a state when it actually was "healty"?

People love to bitch about Modern being "unhealty right now", but was there ever a state when it actually was "healty"?
    I'm far from a modern expert, but if you look at a format where a 52-card deck with 1-mana Demonic Tutors and 1G 6/7s and 1-mana 8/8s (Death's Shadow Zoo) are fine, yet Counterspell and Opt are considered too powerful, you might get the idea why the metagame is messed up.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Because the aesthetics and flavor were amazing then and are dreadful now. Old borders > new borders. Handpainted art and unrestrained creative style > digital art and boring color palettes. Also, this mimickry of the Justice League with the Gatewatch is stupid and at odds with what made Magic cool in the beginning. Old School is wonderful because it relives the purity of game's early days. People aren't playing Old School because they're trying to figure out how to break the format.

Edit: Also, to give some credit to Standard, I do like the various Copy Cat decks and find them appealing. The general situation for me is that there's only so much time I have for Magic, and I'm going to spend it on Legacy and Cube -- the formats with the most strategic depth -- or on Old School, which I do for nostalgia.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post
    I'm far from a modern expert, but if you look at a format where a 52-card deck with 1-mana Demonic Tutors and 1G 6/7s and 1-mana 8/8s (Death's Shadow Zoo) are fine, yet Counterspell and Opt are considered too powerful, you might get the idea why the metagame is messed up.
    Gitaxian Probe is a dumb card. I remember the thread where it turned out that the majority of the Source users hate that card with a passion.

As for the 52 card deck, they did their part by banning Probe. Sure, they still have Bauble and Wraith, but I wouldn't be suprised if those bite the dust sooner or later, too, alongside SSG (and Mox Opal).

Death's Shadow also wouldn't be a problem if they had StP in the format to manhandle it.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

the period from the pod banning up until the twin ban is considered a high point and well liked.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Death's Shadow also wouldn't be a problem if they had StP in the format to manhandle it.
    Can you explain? Isn't Path to Exile the same thing?

you 2 for 1 two deaths shadow with plow. one reason it is wretched in eternal. path you are -1 'card' in most cases.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Can you explain? Isn't Path to Exile the same thing?
    No. You swords one Shadow, all others die too. Also, in formats where mana costs are low and Counterspells make you pay mana, ramping someone is a much bigger cost than giving them life almost all the time.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    you 2 for 1 two deaths shadow with plow. one reason it is wretched in eternal. path you are -1 'card' in most cases.
    Ahhhh! Right, because of the words on the card.
    I should read those...

I don't see the justification for banning Bauble and Wraith...probe was a different story. It clearly takes a dedication from your deck to fuel delirium fast and grave hate is very effective against it so I'm not sure what else you could ask for from a mechanic (powerful in the right deck, but susceptible to commonly played hate). Bauble needs a reprint for sure but isn't doing anything inherently broken or enabling something broken.

I think the big difference is that old school has some super strong cards, but in the end it is about gaining incremental advantages to get a win, I dont really follow the format, but iirc Jayemdae tome is playable and quite good, which is a testament to how grindy games get. Creatures and combos are so strong in newer sets that they will just end the game without a prompt answer and often that means games just turn into a contest of who draws more answers.

Thread Information