Page 64 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1373

Thread: The current state of Magic

Re: The current state of Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    You can warn WotC directly about that if it ever happens again. They would take actions to stop that.
    The LGS in my tiny college town was banned form running sanctioned events in the early 2000's for this. You know what happened? Literally nothing. They were still the only store within 100 miles (literally), and they charged the exact same amount for the events... just without promos.

Areas like that are what WPN restrictions hurt the most, because a college MTG club *can't* run events since they aren't a store, and so you have one place to play sanctioned events. If that place gets hosed, then... no more sanctioned events.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Can't a bad store become a good store? :)
    Stores only go bad. Can't think of an instance of the opposite.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    I remember my old LGS kept the valuable FNM Promos and sold them for cash while handing out the low value ones and no price packs. He also sold the Prerelease T-Shirts and Mats.
    Yeah, saw that happen in several occasions in Germany as well tbh.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Like any type of GP coverage aside from Top 8 results? Well, too bad:

https://twitter.com/magicprotour/sta...61097860120576

Cost-cutting at its finest. But hey, Magic is an eSport!

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

@Barook: maybe I misunderstand your comment, but they are only claiming to reduce the Twitter coverage, from what I can tell. Edit: ah, they mentioned their site too, which I guess you mean includes the stream.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

I think "eSports" is the key term. They focus on Arena for promotion and coverage now after they chopped down LIVE event coverage time and time again. If CF, SCG and other partners for GPs would not jump in filling the void WotC left, there wouldn't be any big live tournaments at all anymore. I sometimes think all WotCs adds for these events is sanctioning them in exchange for CF, SCG & Co moving a shitload of WotC products via drafts and more. WotC never understood tournaments, its coverage and paying pros as a form of marketing which is mandatory for the game, the compeditive drive and player starpower.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

Coverage of the events I run at a brewery while drinking is more in depth than this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Just found this through the Swedish MtG site, like I thought WotC's comment was not related to all coverage, only text-based coverage.

"Blake Rasmussen explained that the Magic Pro Tour’s response on Twitter only applied to 'round-by-round live text coverage of events,' which will no longer be live. Instead, as stated on Twitter, the remaining text coverage—including decklists, Top 8 bios, pairings, and standings—will be posted at the end of the event.

As for video coverage, Wizards emphasized that they, 'did not announce anything regarding video coverage and we aren’t announcing anything about it at this time.' However, Wizards wouldn’t confirm when (or if) the next Grand Prix would be streamed, only saying that, 'Besides Mythic Championships/the Mythic Invitational, we have not announced our streaming schedule for the year yet.'"

From Hipsters of the coast's web site:
    https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2...ew-jersey-mtg/

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Coverage of the events I run at a brewery while drinking is more in depth than this.
    Need more events like this.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Lmao

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/co..._coverage_for/

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/co..._go_50_of_the/

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/co..._invitational/

The only redeeming part of this that is that the invitational announcement caused Hoogland to have a meltdown on twitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Lmao

The only redeeming part of this that is that the invitational announcement caused Hoogland to have a meltdown on twitter.
    You can't say things like this and not include screenshots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    You can't say things like this and not include screenshots.
    Dang, guess it wasn't as big of a meltdown as I remembered it.

I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Why didn't they invite me, either? It's insulting. I play Magic. I use the Internet.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    Why didn't they invite me, either? It's insulting. I play Magic. I use the Internet.
    Same, I am literally shaking with rage rn.

Good day.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I never heard of like 2/3 of the invitees. Who the fuck are those people? Meanwhile, they're missing people like Caleb Durward, who pulls thousands of viewers, won the first streamer Arena invitational and even plays Arena.

But then again, it's pretty entertaining to watch WotC shooting themselves in the foot again. Just because they enjoy some success with Arena right now, they become megalomaniac. All these changes will backfire sooner or later.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Aug 2015
    The woods again

I just can't—

Think of all the invaluable content I've provided.

Brb; gonna go exercise with Ace. Gotta blow off some steam.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Aug 2010
    Seattle, WA

it seems to me that these people are being rewarded for building a social media following. I guess that's it. some " legit qualified" via some method( i didn't read that much of it) but the rest seem to me like " they have our brand in mind so we'll give them a shot to win some money and increase their brand" (and therefore our brand)

my take: essentially its a 1 million pr move at first glance. also other bad opinion: this is like modern marketing 101 reductionist version.

pps there were on my soft guess probably a good 6-10 hours of meetings curating that invitee list if y'all want to get more salty about it. probably centered around market cross section exposure.

I'm naturally a cynic though so take what i say with grains of salt

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasDowd View Post
    it seems to me that these people are being rewarded for building a social media following. I guess that's it.
    Yep, that's why those girlstreamers with under 1000 Followers are invited...or the one without a Twitch Account before the list was published. Rewarded indeed.

I think it's a good selection for a promotional invitational. I have no clue who most of the people on the list are (even of those in the mpl) but i think it's good that they try to diversify it a bit. The best 32 players will still be there so it's fine.
    BUT i must say i would have liked if they had thrown in Richard Garfield as one of the invites, maybe even made a special thing about 1 stream following him through the tournament ("The Creator Cam"). Had been really cool watching that. I guess internet would whine about "herp derp Garfield stealing pros money". But internet always whines.

Thread Information