Page 42 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: The current state of Magic

Jul 2013
    Texas

Re: The current state of Magic

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ond-2018-02-14

Set designed to be drafted but....

"although the Limited gameplay experience is Two-Headed Giant, we knew that the cards needed to have a life outside of that format. As a result, many of the cards in the set are designed specifically with formats like Commander, Cube, and Legacy in mind!"

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ond-2018-02-14

Set designed to be drafted but....

"although the Limited gameplay experience is Two-Headed Giant, we knew that the cards needed to have a life outside of that format. As a result, many of the cards in the set are designed specifically with formats like Commander, Cube, and Legacy in mind!"
    My body is eagerly awaiting TNN 2.0 and 3.0, hopefully they're both in the same set.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

If it's "sports themed" I would expect a Veteran Bodyguard style "Blocker" card that protects you, your walkers, and your partner. Perhaps wearing a football helmet?

Oh good, blue was lacking in OP legacy warping cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Oh good, blue was lacking in OP legacy warping cards.
    Maybe for once they can just print a bunch of powerful cards that aren't blue/don't slot right into blue decks. Or maybe world peace will happen tomorrow. I figure those two outcomes are about as likely.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Just print Strip Mine with an activation cost of 1 colourless. Fair and balanced.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Just print Strip Mine with an activation cost of 1 colourless. Fair and balanced.
    Really all I want is a Volcanic Fallout with "damage from [this] can't be prevented" or a Sulfur Elemental for blue creatures. That's all I ask.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    Maybe for once they can just print a bunch of powerful cards that aren't blue/don't slot right into blue decks. Or maybe world peace will happen tomorrow. I figure those two outcomes are about as likely.
    Conspiracy 2 definitely had a hardcore fan of D&T on the team, otherwise the deck wouldn't have gotten so many goodies in one set. Sure, Leovold was dumb, but oh well.

There were also more announcements today:

FTV is dead and gets replaced by more Jacetice League garbage. And they vomit out even more product to combat sinking revenues.

Nov 2017
    SKILL INTENSIVE branches

Countdown until Black mana no longer has skulls on it starts right now.

To be fair, though, making a product for the largest growing marketplace in the world to grow the brand is the smartest thing I've seen WotC do in a long while. Maybe they'll even think of price discrimination for sealed product in countries where US$4 a pack is excessive and do a good job making Magic a global brand.

Then we'll all be rich selling our shitcards that spike in value due to a massive playerbase growth. Like paper crypto...to the Blood Moon!

Mar 2007

Countdown until Black mana no longer has skulls on it starts right now.

To be fair, though, making a product for the largest growing marketplace in the world to grow the brand is the smartest thing I've seen WotC do in a long while. Maybe they'll even think of price discrimination for sealed product in countries where US$4 a pack is excessive and do a good job making Magic a global brand.

Then we'll all be rich selling our shitcards that spike in value due to a massive playerbase growth. Like paper crypto...to the Blood Moon!
    Why would they replace the skulls? Magic seems to be doing fine despite China's laws against the depiction of human skeletons. Only cards like Macabre Waltz had to be censored in the past.

And this is nothing new. Remember Portal 3?

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    If it's "sports themed" I would expect a Veteran Bodyguard style "Blocker" card that protects you, your walkers, and your partner. Perhaps wearing a football helmet?
    MTG: Blood Bowl edition. <3
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Why would they replace the skulls? Magic seems to be doing fine despite China's laws against the depiction of human skeletons. Only cards like Macabre Waltz had to be censored in the past.

And this is nothing new. Remember Portal 3?
    I think the claim that there are laws against human skeletons is mostly a myth, if this article is correct.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    I think the claim that there are laws against human skeletons is mostly a myth, if this article is correct.
    That seems even worse than an actual law, because absolutely no one has any real idea what would be allowed or not though.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Conspiracy 2 definitely had a hardcore fan of D&T on the team, otherwise the deck wouldn't have gotten so many goodies in one set. Sure, Leovold was dumb, but oh well.

There were also more announcements today:

FTV is dead and gets replaced by more Jacetice League garbage. And they vomit out even more product to combat sinking revenues.
    Nobody liked FTV anyway
    How insane would it be if the 19.99 box had JTMS in it (0.001% chance of this happening lol but still)

Otherwise the battlebond thing is just the next Conspiracy and then we have another commander set, seems to be a similar release schedule to what they have had previously

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Nobody liked FTV anyway
    I could have been more liked if they didn't use the shitty foiling process and kept card quality up like in the first two FTV sets instead printing FTV: Garbage and FTV: More Garbage year after year.

Mar 2007

SCG completely dropped Standard from the second half of this year's Open schedule (except for Team Events, of course). That's a rather interesting (but not really suprising) move:

On a different note:
    Valve has hired Richard Garfield to work on the digital trading card game Artifact

Even more importantly, within the announcement video, they also said that they'll use Valve's market place for booster and card trading. Given that they'll take a cut with each transaction, they're going to make insane amounts of money from that unless the game totally flops. The monetization aspect alone might draw in a huge crowd (see PUBG having millions of Chinese entering the fray) and could probably put alot of pressure on both MTGO and especially Arena.

Dropped Standard but not enough Legacy and to much Modern. I get that Modern is the most popular for some reason.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Vissah View Post
    Dropped Standard but not enough Legacy and to much Modern. I get that Modern is the most popular for some reason.
    It has the variety of legacy for way less money. I guess people aren't really afraid of their deck getting banned at this point in time.

silently cries while looking at birthing pods while heart of the ocean from the Titanic soundtrack plays in the background

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    It has the variety of legacy for way less money. I guess people aren't really afraid of their deck getting banned at this point in time.

silently cries while looking at birthing pods while heart of the ocean from the Titanic soundtrack plays in the background

It was more sarcatic I forgot a smiley or something. I know people see it as a stronger Standard/weaker Legacy.

I think more in the beginnign people were seeing it a Legacy Light but when they figured out that you can get blown out by unfair things they started to cry and Wizards turned it into a Standard Plus for them. When that change happened they got all happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vissah View Post
    It was more sarcatic I forgot a smiley or something. I know people see it as a stronger Standard/weaker Legacy.

I think more in the beginnign people were seeing it a Legacy Light but when they figured out that you can get blown out by unfair things they started to cry and Wizards turned it into a Standard Plus for them. When that change happened they got all happy.
    Modern is not even close to "Standard Plus." In fact, it's really never been that.

Granted, it's not Legacy Light either, but quite frankly it's considerably closer to being Legacy Light than it is to being Standard Plus.

Thread Information