Page 15 of 69 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: The current state of Magic

Re: The current state of Magic

Quote Originally Posted by s&s View Post
    I don't understand people playing standard. That is all. :)
    Easiest format to enter, is dynamic rather than static like Legacy (which can be either good or bad depending on your perspective), gets the most support, and, until recently, you could feel pretty safe that your deck choice wouldn't suddenly get a ban.

Though all Legacy players should be extremely happy that Standard is the major cash cow, because the rotation allows them to avoid too great a level of power creep which allows Legacy to be Legacy. If Legacy was the dominant format they were pushing, they'd have to come up with reasons to keep you getting the new packs so they'd be constantly banning and having major cases of power creep to the point it'd basically end up switching around constantly like Standard anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    On a different note:
    People love to bitch about Modern being "unhealty right now", but was there ever a state when it actually was "healty"?
    I think the time period between Deathrite Shaman's banning and Treasure Cruise's printing was pretty decent.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

There are plenty of reasons for Standard to appeal to a player. They don't appeal to me, but neither does draft. I'm a huge fan of EDH, but a good portion of Sourcers scoff at the format.

Because of rotation, Standard is the format where you are most able to create the deck that dominates the new cycle, or find the sleeper cards that prey on the top decks. The reality is that those decks are created by teams of professionals, but that doesn't weaken the appeal of dreamers who think they can do it themselves.

The true strength of this game is its ability to appeal to a wider audience than most games allow. I often compare Magic cards to playing cards. You can enjoy playing cards in dozens of ways from War to Go Fish to Poker to Gin Rummy. Magic adds in trading, collecting, and deck-building in addition to all of its formats.

I'll admit it sucks to see your favorite aspect of the game get pushed aside for other aspects you don't like. But the game will persist long after the doom-sayers lose interest.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    I have a question and this may not be the best place to ask, but it's food for thought perhaps.

Why is it we hate Standard and yet (some) seem to love 93/94? It's basically the same bloody thing. A limited and solvable format. Sure, one is more complex than there other, even if the creatures are weaker, but all the same issues that we argue are present in Standard exist on Old School.
    Standard is actually more complex than Old school from everything I've seen. I built an old school deck and thought it might be sweet, then I played a few games and realized why people only play it a couple times a year. Then again, neither of us were playing blue cards so maybe that had something to do with it, but if I wanted to play blue to win, I'd just continue playing legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

I have a question and this may not be the best place to ask, but it's food for thought perhaps.

Why is it we hate Standard and yet (some) seem to love 93/94? It's basically the same bloody thing. A limited and solvable format. Sure, one is more complex than there other, even if the creatures are weaker, but all the same issues that we argue are present in Standard exist on Old School.
    As others have mentioned, nostalgia is certainly a factor. The elitism part is a bit misunderstood, and certainly not as prevalent in the NA scene. Of course, the old frames and art being superior helps and the statement of incremental advantage(s) to win certainly rings true.

To answer your question - I adore the format as each colour/strategy has 'broken' cards, and the aggro/combo/control/midrange balance was real during that period of the game. I do not consider The Deck as the example of solving the format because aggro decks can and do destroy it. While it doesn't rotate cards, the difference in power level amongst the 'decent' cards (aka non-broken, non-crap) isn't as wide as they seem to be now. There is a higher number of playable cards tailored to certain styles and there are a number of different colour and playstyle combinations that are legitimately viable. I've read people claiming the # of legitimate Legacy decks to be 40+ (which is debatable) - Old School truly does and players continue to innovate. See: http://www.wak-wak.se/9394/archetypes.
    For those interested in the latest Ancient decks (and the format in general) visit: http://ancientmtgdecks.blogspot.ca/

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

The format I'd really like to "old school"-ify is TS-Lor Standard. That was one damn good format.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    The format I'd really like to "old school"-ify is TS-Lor Standard. That was one damn good format.
    I prefer RAV-TSP over Lorwyn, but that's because of the Faeries.

The format had a wide range of weird and good decks, varying from White Weenie and Burn, to hard UB Control, through the vagaries of combo (Warp World springs to mind) and out to GW and UW Flash (as in, instant-speed, not Flash.)

That was a great Standard format.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    I prefer RAV-TSP over Lorwyn, but that's because of the Faeries.

The format had a wide range of weird and good decks, varying from White Weenie and Burn, to hard UB Control, through the vagaries of combo (Warp World springs to mind) and out to GW and UW Flash (as in, instant-speed, not Flash.)

That was a great Standard format.
    I just like playing Lark-Blink too much, at least if we have damage on the stack. Blink <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Feb 2012
    Tienen

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Something like 'make your own standard' would be fun to play.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Something like 'make your own standard' would be fun to play.
    Wouldn't that be the most hellish of all nightmares to try to figure out what is legal? Even if you make your own CYO (choose your own) Standard deck, it'd be such a bitch to catch an opponent playing a card that isn't in their CYO Standard deck. Deck checks and the like would be so hard to do.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Wouldn't that be the most hellish of all nightmares to try to figure out what is legal? Even if you make your own CYO (choose your own) Standard deck, it'd be such a bitch to catch an opponent playing a card that isn't in their CYO Standard deck. Deck checks and the like would be so hard to do.
    It would probably work better on MTGO were you could enforce the entire thing. But then again, it's that much of a terrible program that Gleemox was legal for several weeks recently.

"Choose your Own Standard" was an MTGO format. For like, two years. It was cool in concept but complete garbage in practice because everyone would find random combos from different blocks and then just go to town with them and there were almost never decent answers.

Really a lot of the same problems Tribal has had where it's supposed to be this fun/friendly good times format but if you make it competitive combo decks that break the very idea of the game you're supposed to be playing in half are clearly the best things around because the deckbuilding restrictions preclude being able to beat the combo decks.

tl;dr, it's been done, it didn't work

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I just want to make a bitching Seance deck in Build Your Own Standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Draw-Go Disciple
    Feb 2017
    Clermont-Ferrand

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    the period from the pod banning up until the twin ban is considered a high point and well liked.
    It was pretty oppressed by Bloom Titan.

I believe that the ban after DrS was a good period, until they messed up with Rhino/TC/Dig.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    When I first heard of it, I thought CYOS was something where everyone agrees to which sets would be in, then builds a deck from that pool. So you could pick Revised-Mirage-Tempest and then everyone is restricted to those sets (blocks). It seemed like a neat spin on Old School Magic.

Then I found out what it really is and immediately was disinterested.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    It was pretty oppressed by Bloom Titan.

I believe that the ban after DrS was a good period, until they messed up with Rhino/TC/Dig.
    Put up less results than you think and that doesn't really matter when the community seems to remember it fondly
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Draw-Go Disciple
    Feb 2017
    Clermont-Ferrand

Put up less results than you think and that doesn't really matter when the community seems to remember it fondly
    This thing won one WMCQ and one RPTQ in my country, and was doing pretty decent in any local tournament.

It was not a GP killer for sure, but still was oppressive. I lost of good number of games agains't it on GP trials, Super series, etc.

But sure it was more a boogeyman than anything else.

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

The format is more deep than people take it for, because it takes time to learn the format and cardpool. if you're deep into it there's some cool stuff to innovate still, I have lists. But there are only so many of us and so much time available. Picking up a deck or two and jamming some rando games or reading a article or two on the format isn't going to give you much to run on for analysis. But still can be fun and totally worth the time.

I can only speak for myself, but here's my take. The power of the cards isn't even remotely close to standard and I enjoy the level of power it has, yet being not as crazy as vintage. Stack damage, mana burn, chaos orb....It offers something else. Strip mine, Loa, p9, ring, these and many many other cards are nothing you will see in standard. Cards that they wouldn't consider designing now or reprint into standard, fun. 93/94 is magic in a contained design, the Creators baby.... it plays like a very advanced board game. This is where they can be considered most alike because they are designed in a contained space vs the kitchen sink approach other formats have.93/94 contains all the fundamentals of the game, in turn the building blocks of magic. Standard is much more limited and designed to work a certain way, with a spoonfed shit storyline. 93/94 offers more imagination and lines due to card uniqueness 93/94 offers. The art is very rare in general, even hard to find similar art references in old d&d books. I like art and I'm not into Cg photoshopped 3-d models from overseas that belong in video games, standard art is dime a dozen if you know the field. To add to all of this you get to play with people of a certain age and lifestyle, which I suppose you get with standard too but it's not for me at all. Lastly, value- and I'll just leave it at that.

Comparing a casual format mainly played in bars to a competitive grinder format for teens should be your starting point.
    Tusk Up

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    If Legacy was the dominant format they were pushing, they'd have to come up with reasons to keep you getting the new packs so they'd be constantly banning and having major cases of power creep to the point it'd basically end up switching around constantly like Standard anyway.
    Which is why I'm okay with not having WotC heavily increasing Legacy support e.g. making the format cheaper to get into.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Which is why I'm okay with not having WotC heavily increasing Legacy support e.g. making the format cheaper to get into.

But if WotC keeps on reprinting certain staples, people will try to make the switch to Legacy. Demand on other staples (Duals etc etc) will increase, and those staples (especially cards on the RL) will double or triple or whatever in price... In the end Legacy will be not be so easily accesible
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    This thing won one WMCQ and one RPTQ in my country, and was doing pretty decent in any local tournament.

It was not a GP killer for sure, but still was oppressive. I lost of good number of games agains't it on GP trials, Super series, etc.

But sure it was more a boogeyman than anything else.
    Every format has a boogeyman, the format did seem fairly diverse and healthy regardless. Yeah you had the feel bads of turn 2/3 Prime Time, but you also had Twin forcing Bloom-Titan and other decks to play a bit more honestly, and you could actually play fair magic without feeling like a chump.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Thread Information