Page 16 of 69 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: The current state of Magic

Re: The current state of Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    But if WotC keeps on reprinting certain staples, people will try to make the switch to Legacy. Demand on other staples (Duals etc etc) will increase, and those staples (especially cards on the RL) will double or triple or whatever in price... In the end Legacy will be not be so easily accesible
    But the non reserved cards will presumably reduce in price, cancelling out the rise in reserved list cards...at the end of the day the barrier of entry will generally remain the same.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
    But the non reserved cards will presumably reduce in price, cancelling out the rise in reserved list cards...at the end of the day the barrier of entry will generally remain the same.
    Deck prices rise. Its a fact
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

But if WotC keeps on reprinting certain staples, people will try to make the switch to Legacy. Demand on other staples (Duals etc etc) will increase, and those staples (especially cards on the RL) will double or triple or whatever in price... In the end Legacy will be not be so easily accesible
    Except they don't rise in a 1:1 ratio, and the rise isn't sustained. For example, Alliances FoW was about $80 pre-announcement. Volcanic spiked from ≤$250 to around $280-290 pre-EMA-post-announcement. Volc is now back down to its pre-announcement price, and Alliances FoW is around $60.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Deck prices rise. Its a fact
    Yes but only temporarily. As mentioned above, dual prices have already fallen back down to what they were pre-EMA spike and the reprinted EMA cards are cheaper than they were pre-reprint.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Except they don't rise in a 1:1 ratio, and the rise isn't sustained. For example, Alliances FoW was about $80 pre-announcement. Volcanic spiked from ≤$250 to around $280-290 pre-EMA-post-announcement. Volc is now back down to its pre-announcement price, and Alliances FoW is around $60.

Yes but only temporarily. As mentioned above, dual prices have already fallen back down to what they were pre-EMA spike and the reprinted EMA cards are cheaper than they were pre-reprint.
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Re...c+Island#paper

Not really. It still seems ~40$ expensive than before the annoucement, despite slowly dropping off.

If prices rise, it's mainly due to random buyouts from hoarders in combination with price memory. With the total number of players stagnating, it seems unlikely that there's that much increasing demand to justify price increases.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

This is a fair point, but no one knows when "the end" will happen. People have been wringing their hands about Legacy for at least seven years now. I've been reading "Legacy is dying" claims for that long. It's surreal. Prices have increased, but the player base hasn't dropped off. I want to remind everyone that this fear of Legacy being accessible has been replayed for years. How about this post, the first from the Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread, from January 2010:

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
    Wasteland has just doubled its price in the last month. Star City is selling it for $25. Even Troll and Toad is offering this tempest rare land for $20. This cards, if I am not committing a mistake, closed the year 2009 in a healthy 10 dollars per each. Mox Diamond was about $28 on October or so. I selled four of them for a hundred bucks just to find out that today, stores are willing to sell them for no less than $40.
    My advice is always to play Legacy. For most people who want to play, there are ways to get into the format, even today when prices are higher than they were seven years ago. To me, complaining about accessibility is not useful at all.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
    True, to a certain extent, except what do you do with those cards if the price of one RL-card is the same as two times all the staples you bought in recent years?

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    This is a fair point, but no one knows when "the end" will happen. People have been wringing their hands about Legacy for at least seven years now. I've been reading "Legacy is dying" claims for that long. It's surreal. Prices have increased, but the player base hasn't dropped off. I want to remind everyone that this fear of Legacy being accessible has been replayed for years. How about this post, the first from the Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread, from January 2010:

My advice is always to play Legacy. For most people who want to play, there are ways to get into the format, even today when prices are higher than they were seven years ago. To me, complaining about accessibility is not useful at all.
    Also true, but in recent years all non-RL cards have been reprinted. It's a bit different than say seven-ten years ago. I personally am not complaining at all, simply because I already own enough cards to make different decks.
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Re...c+Island#paper

Not really. It still seems ~40$ expensive than before the annoucement, despite slowly dropping off.

If prices rise, it's mainly due to random buyouts from hoarders in combination with price memory. With the total number of players stagnating, it seems unlikely that there's that much increasing demand to justify price increases.
    Yes really. I prefer to use a graph that doesn't only report the average price of cards for sale (click on "low"), when in reality cards are exchanging hands off these main sites (i.e. Facebook HEG) for far less. In addition, look at TCGP's market price, which is the average price at which cards are actually being sold for on that site (their graph used to be better, but trust me when I say that pre-EMA Volcs were exchanging hands for around $250 tops, more like $230ish).
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    their graph used to be better
    No kidding, whatever happened to the sweet, easy-to-use TCGPlayer graphs?

Quote Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
    No kidding, whatever happened to the sweet, easy-to-use TCGPlayer graphs?
    Much like their previous and much better deck search engine, I think it got removed when they redesigned the site.

Wizards of the Coast doesn't release sales data, but ICv2's new Internal Correspondence came out and may be of interest. The version on the website lacks some of the more detailed information (which is available by purchase), namely that both suppliers and retailers report that Magic sales for them are a little down compared to the previous year, though it also does note that this might not equal a drop on WOTC's end due to there being more places to buy the game.

Interestingly, the Pokemon TCG is absolutely exploding right now, outselling Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh combined in mass market retailers and finally taking the #2 spot in game stores from Yu-Gi-Oh.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Wizards of the Coast doesn't release sales data, but ICv2's new Internal Correspondence came out and may be of interest. The version on the website lacks some of the more detailed information (which is available by purchase), namely that both suppliers and retailers report that Magic sales for them are a little down compared to the previous year, though it also does note that this might not equal a drop on WOTC's end due to there being more places to buy the game.

Interestingly, the Pokemon TCG is absolutely exploding right now, outselling Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh combined in mass market retailers and finally taking the #2 spot in game stores from Yu-Gi-Oh.
    That's pretty interesting. No wonder that they're panicking. Are sales per set down or total sales down, considering they had an additional product (Conspiracy 2) squeezed in last year?

But then again, they reap what they sowed.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Huh, I wonder if there's a lesson WotC can learn from Pokemon's huge success. It's no doubt that Pokemon Go increased the franchise popularity greatly, it's almost as if having a good digital environment would draw in consumers to your paper game as well...

Oh wait, I think I've got it! Magic Augmented Reality, a phone game where you can walk around in the wild and meet Jace and the Jacetice League IRL.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Pokemon still having games come out on handheld along with a strong brand definitely benefits them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Oh wait, I think I've got it! Magic Augmented Reality, a phone game where you can walk around in the wild and meet Jace and the Jacetice League IRL.
    We already know what that looks like.

It is not pretty.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...49397726,d.cGw

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Pokémon throws shit at you (their fatpacks comes with sleeves, flip coins, I think dice) and makes it super easy to get into the digital game, also their foils are cool.

It's like they actually want you to spend money on their game
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Huh, I wonder if there's a lesson WotC can learn from Pokemon's huge success. It's no doubt that Pokemon Go increased the franchise popularity greatly, it's almost as if having a good digital environment would draw in consumers to your paper game as well...

They could call it Magic: The Gothering
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Magic Go! Head outside and find booster packs. Throw mana at the booster pack to capture it! Unlock rare and powerful Planewalkers, then battle Planeswalkers in local Planesgyms to be the best!

Use the power of friendship to keep your own Jacetice League on top!
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Magic Go! Head outside and find booster packs. Throw mana at the booster pack to capture it! Unlock rare and powerful Planewalkers, then battle Planeswalkers in local Planesgyms to be the best!

Use the power of friendship to keep your own Jacetice League on top!
    You obviously explore beautiful landscapes to tap them for mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    That's pretty interesting. No wonder that they're panicking. Are sales per set down or total sales down, considering they had an additional product (Conspiracy 2) squeezed in last year?
    Hrm, it didn't really say. Just that a lot of guys say they were disappointed by Magic sales this year compared to the last.

I should note that this is very different from sales being outright bad; one distributor commented "I would not be complaining about the sales if it were anything other than Magic." And as previously stated, it's not clear if this is actually a decrease in sales for Wizards of the Coast in total. Individual stores and individual distributors may be down a little, but there are more places to buy it so it could still be a year of growth for Magic when everything is added together.

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    They could call it Magic: The Gothering
    I'd prefer ShandalAR.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

Thread Information