Page 45 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 900 of 1373

Thread: The current state of Magic

  1. #881
    Greatness awaits!
    Lemnear's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2010
    Location

    Berlin, Germany
    Posts

    7,025

    Re: The current state of Magic

    Llanowar & Steel Leaf would never be a problem if the counters & removal would not suck ass. I have the impression that the misbalance between threats and solutions gets worse every Standard season
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

    Join us at Facebook!

    Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

    Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

  2. #882

    Re: The current state of Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I disagree with the sentiment that energy was a great idea (even though I'm a sucker for alternate resource systems). Energy was flawed by design due to being extremely parasitic. While most cards also provided energy while using it, that fact doesn't change. Energy being counters on players, making it nigh impossible to interact with it, is a design flaw. Development's main faults are a) not properly costing the mechanic and b) not recognising the need of answers.
    I don't agree with this. You claim that it's a design flaw that it's "nigh impossible" to interact with, but the whole reason it was so hard to interact with was development not including answers to it. All development had to do to fix energy, really, was to make Solemnity into an artifact so anyone could play it, have it remove all counters from players when it enters the battlefield, and cantrip. Done. This would also have the benefit of giving us a long-overdue way of removing poison counters that isn't awful (Leeches).

    I'll concede it is parasitic, but I don't think that's a problem in and of itself, particularly because, as you note, the cards that provided it generally used it.

  3. #883

    Re: The current state of Magic

    I don't know if any of you are in the Beta, but the beta-only boards are fucking hilarious right now. Like, before the NDA wipe and changes to progression, like 90-95% of the posts were about how the economy sucked and suggestions on how to improve it.

    WotC made the economy worse with the NDA wipe (like, significantly worse) and now 100% of the posts are flame wars about how much the economy sucks and how stupid WotC is for making it worse. It's honestly impressive that they managed to form a circular firing squad out of a single company.

    It's also pretty funny that the beta players, who are the most likely to be super-pro magic, have turned against Arena already.

  4. #884
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,669

    Re: The current state of Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    I don't know if any of you are in the Beta, but the beta-only boards are fucking hilarious right now. Like, before the NDA wipe and changes to progression, like 90-95% of the posts were about how the economy sucked and suggestions on how to improve it.

    WotC made the economy worse with the NDA wipe (like, significantly worse) and now 100% of the posts are flame wars about how much the economy sucks and how stupid WotC is for making it worse. It's honestly impressive that they managed to form a circular firing squad out of a single company.

    It's also pretty funny that the beta players, who are the most likely to be super-pro magic, have turned against Arena already.
    This sounds hilarious. To gauge how bad shit really is, even Reddit (who loves to kiss WotC's ass and beg for more) are currently breathing fire and brimstone regarding Arena. Meanwhile, Hearthstone makes its quests better.

    What really puzzles me is how anyone with half a brain could think that copying Hearthstone's economy (which was already critizied for being too expensive) was good idea. Hearthstone requires less epics and legendaries are limited to 1 card per deck, while MtG often requires multiple mythics of the same card and tons of rares. And then WotC went and double downed by making an already bad system significantly worse - twice.

    Guess who's in charge of the economy of Arena, and to no suprise, it's Lee Sharpe (who's also responsible for MTGO). He has ZERO economical background (his qualifictions are some kind of math degree and one Top 8 in a PT ages ago), so the economy being a clusterfuck of incompetence and greed isn't all that suprising.

    This makes me wonder how Papa Hasbro is going to react if Arena bombs since they've invested millions into its development and they expect big returns from it according to shareholder reports.
    Currently working on: Infinity Stompy

  5. #885

    Re: The current state of Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    This sounds hilarious. To gauge how bad shit really is, even Reddit (who loves to kiss WotC's ass and beg for more) are currently breathing fire and brimstone regarding Arena. Meanwhile, Hearthstone makes its quests better.

    What really puzzles me is how anyone with half a brain could think that copying Hearthstone's economy (which was already critizied for being too expensive) was good idea. Hearthstone requires less epics and legendaries are limited to 1 card per deck, while MtG often requires multiple mythics of the same card and tons of rares. And then WotC went and double downed by making an already bad system significantly worse - twice.

    Guess who's in charge of the economy of Arena, and to no suprise, it's Lee Sharpe (who's also responsible for MTGO). He has ZERO economical background (his qualifictions are some kind of math degree and one Top 8 in a PT ages ago), so the economy being a clusterfuck of incompetence and greed isn't all that suprising.

    This makes me wonder how Papa Hasbro is going to react if Arena bombs since they've invested millions into its development and they expect big returns from it according to shareholder reports.
    I'd guess by cleaning house. But who knows. Fucking up the launch of Arena is a MASSIVE risk for them. There's plenty of competition, and once it gets set in people's heads that it's bad, it becomes an incredibly hard impression to reverse. Devoting only 1/5th of the total screen space to the play area (I measured) doesn't help them either.

  6. #886

    Re: The current state of Magic

    Arena will bomb in the Asian market...

    Blizzard has the Asian market in it's pocket, then can put out a Farmville game with World of Warcraft characters in it and have it be a best seller overnight. WOTC does not have that kind of pull. The majority of Asia will choose Hearthstone over Arena or invest in both games...which I doubt.

  7. #887

    Re: The current state of Magic

    Did my Arena "chores" today, realized how much I hated them, logged into the Beta Forums to write an "I'm quitting this bullshit until the economy gets fixed" post, and discovered that's like, more than half the front page of the gameplay feedback forum.

    Jesus, they really are trying to stillbirth this thing. I mean, the clock is absolutely ticking on how much longer they can go without some kind of announcement to address this garbage.

    Oh, and apparently they're trying to cover by giving the biggest streamers extra packs, which just "magically" contain all great stuff. Fucking incredible.

    EDIT: this is what I wrote there, it's not dissimilar from what many others have posted.

    "Thread title pretty much says it all. I don't need to log in and do chores every day for nothing.

    Look, I have, several times, bought into MTG and spent thousands of dollars doing so. Every time, I ended up selling out years later when I needed a break. I can't sell out of Arena. There is no way on god's green earth I will pay the kind of money into this game the current system requires me to pay to even field a moderately competitive standard deck.

    This beta is frankly a waste of everyone's time. The game is dead at launch if it has anything like this kind of setup. Either the economy gets radically, by several orders of magnitude improved, or this game will be DoA and it won't matter how many bugs are running rampant in it.

    You know, it really sucks, as great as the front page redesign was, we can't even talk to the devs about all the problems with the gameplay interface because we're stuck repeating the exact same thing we have been for the last several months about how utterly garbage the economy is. Except they've gone and actively made the economy worse.

    If you're going to hear a unanimous complaint from your players about a huge problem with the game, why even have a Beta if your response to that is to make that exact problem significantly worse? The Beta testers are providing WotC a valuable service, we're supposed to get paid back in "fun". There is no fun here right now, and I don't work for free.

    Peace."

  8. #888
    Site Contributor
    thecrav's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2010
    Location

    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts

    1,087

    Re: The current state of Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    The Beta testers are providing WotC a valuable service, we're supposed to get paid back in "fun". [/I]
    Nah. They gave you a streamer pack. You're getting paid in exposure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

  9. #889

    Re: The current state of Magic

    Iím not well informed about magic in general, so my thinking could be completely wrong here, BUTÖ I canít begin to comprehend that a company like Hasbro canít offer a contemporary online experience for all levels of play (including eternal formats), and why it did not do so years ago? Especially, because of the large sums of money mtg fans around the world are willing (and some already do) spend on ďworthlessĒ online cardboard. If a couple of rogue mages can make xmage playable, why canít Hasbro make a product thatís 1000x better? Iíd be happy to pay to play, but I would expect such an expensive digital card game (mtgo) to at least run on my mac without having to do workarounds not mentioning other very disappointing issues I heard/read about mtgo. Wouldnít they make shitloads of money if they offered such a product, wouldnít it more than cover the development costs? I would buy into it ASAP. As it stands now, I canít buy their product even if I want to because mtgo currently looks like a huge scam and arena looks like something thatís being developed for children, and besides, why would a legacy only player like myself buy arena in the first place? Itís such a disappointment that the game we all love (or hate and canít divorce it ) doesnít have the online support it deserves itís Anno Domini MMXVIII for Christ's sake!

    Anyways, my question regarding the ďeconomyĒ is why not simply transfer all mtgo collections into their new program/product that would support all levels of play and all world regions equally?

  10. #890

    Re: The current state of Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by MechTactical View Post
    Iím not well informed about magic in general, so my thinking could be completely wrong here, BUTÖ I canít begin to comprehend that a company like Hasbro canít offer a contemporary online experience for all levels of play (including eternal formats), and why it did not do so years ago? Especially, because of the large sums of money mtg fans around the world are willing (and some already do) spend on ďworthlessĒ online cardboard. If a couple of rogue mages can make xmage playable, why canít Hasbro make a product thatís 1000x better? Iíd be happy to pay to play, but I would expect such an expensive digital card game (mtgo) to at least run on my mac without having to do workarounds not mentioning other very disappointing issues I heard/read about mtgo. Wouldnít they make shitloads of money if they offered such a product, wouldnít it more than cover the development costs? I would buy into it ASAP. As it stands now, I canít buy their product even if I want to because mtgo currently looks like a huge scam and arena looks like something thatís being developed for children, and besides, why would a legacy only player like myself buy arena in the first place? Itís such a disappointment that the game we all love (or hate and canít divorce it ) doesnít have the online support it deserves itís Anno Domini MMXVIII for Christ's sake!

    Anyways, my question regarding the ďeconomyĒ is why not simply transfer all mtgo collections into their new program/product that would support all levels of play and all world regions equally?
    I think Hasbro has always believed that paper Magic was their money maker, thats why all the Duels games were put out to lure you into playing paper Magic. This them in panic mode after seeing the huge success of Hearthstone which probably ate up a chunk of the pop (including pros like Brian Kiebler) and having Artifact on the way. I feel like Arena is so rushed the it will take alot of work to make it actually appealing.

  11. #891
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,669

    Re: The current state of Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by MechTactical View Post
    Iím not well informed about magic in general, so my thinking could be completely wrong here, BUTÖ I canít begin to comprehend that a company like Hasbro canít offer a contemporary online experience for all levels of play (including eternal formats), and why it did not do so years ago? Especially, because of the large sums of money mtg fans around the world are willing (and some already do) spend on ďworthlessĒ online cardboard. If a couple of rogue mages can make xmage playable, why canít Hasbro make a product thatís 1000x better? Iíd be happy to pay to play, but I would expect such an expensive digital card game (mtgo) to at least run on my mac without having to do workarounds not mentioning other very disappointing issues I heard/read about mtgo. Wouldnít they make shitloads of money if they offered such a product, wouldnít it more than cover the development costs? I would buy into it ASAP. As it stands now, I canít buy their product even if I want to because mtgo currently looks like a huge scam and arena looks like something thatís being developed for children, and besides, why would a legacy only player like myself buy arena in the first place? Itís such a disappointment that the game we all love (or hate and canít divorce it ) doesnít have the online support it deserves itís Anno Domini MMXVIII for Christ's sake!

    Anyways, my question regarding the ďeconomyĒ is why not simply transfer all mtgo collections into their new program/product that would support all levels of play and all world regions equally?
    - As far as I know, Hasbro is just as technically impaired as WotC when it comes to online things. Hasbro Suits were probably happy that MTGO printed money until Hearthstone came along and showed them how much more could be possible (e.g. 250 million revenue from Paper + Online combined vs Hearthstones 440 million revenue out of nowhere). That's why Arena is so heavily copied from Hearthstone - greed and no idea what the fuck they're doing.

    - Why can't WotC make a good online experience? Well, if you pay significantly less than the industry standard, you can only attract below average talent. And even then, you have massive mismanagement from the higher ups and many people get fired after a year to avoid further obligations. That's the reason why sometimes the same card works differently between sets because they were programmed differently by different people. tl;dr: They're cheap bastards and it shows.

    - WotC/Hasbro are chasing the Hearthstone money. Programming 15k+ cards with all kind of weird interactions is counterproductive to that. They also assume that people are willing to buy in multiple times.
    Currently working on: Infinity Stompy

  12. #892
    Member
    Matsu's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2016
    Location

    Forever dark woods
    Posts

    194

    Re: The current state of Magic

    Hasbro has to do just one thing. Replace non competent people with competent.
    Most of the time you have to replace 30% to 50% of the staff, most of them with a senior position in the company.
    This is the only way to secure grow in the incoming decade.

    With Artifact and the growing influence of the internet. Paper Magic will become a relic of the pass.
    With the community becoming old and having less and less time.

    I personally dropped MtG for a year to play Hearthstone, because it was free to play and I could do this after I put the kids in to bed.
    MTGO was an option, but I did not want to spend my money twice for the same cards and the software is not user friendly.

    This is just strange that people in the same company do not talk and cooperate. This is another signal the management is doing something wrong. Pokemon TCG Online is a thing and I heard it is working pretty well. You can buy a physical packs and have the same cards online, because there is a redeemed code inside the booster pack.
    The same company produce both games in the same building. Just different people.

    Can someone clarify Pokemon Online, maybe I do not understand it properly?

  13. #893
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,669

    Re: The current state of Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    The same company produce both games in the same building. Just different people.

    Can someone clarify Pokemon Online, maybe I do not understand it properly?
    The Pokemon TCG hasn't been handled by WotC since 2003 because Nintendo didn't renew their license. By doing it in-house, they keep more for themselves.

    MTGO also has an option for promo codes - which has been used for like two free promos and completely forgotten afterwards.

    Given how they dropped Duels out of the blue, I'm not going to put money into MTGO again. The risk is just too high that they're going to nuke collections again. I wouldn't put it past Wizards to stop supporting MTGO if Arena was failing, simply to promote Arena. It wouldn't be the first stupid business decision they've made.
    Currently working on: Infinity Stompy

  14. #894

    Re: The current state of Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    Hasbro has to do just one thing. Replace non competent people with competent.
    Most of the time you have to replace 30% to 50% of the staff, most of them with a senior position in the company.
    This is the only way to secure grow in the incoming decade.

    With Artifact and the growing influence of the internet. Paper Magic will become a relic of the pass.
    With the community becoming old and having less and less time.

    I personally dropped MtG for a year to play Hearthstone, because it was free to play and I could do this after I put the kids in to bed.
    MTGO was an option, but I did not want to spend my money twice for the same cards and the software is not user friendly.

    This is just strange that people in the same company do not talk and cooperate. This is another signal the management is doing something wrong. Pokemon TCG Online is a thing and I heard it is working pretty well. You can buy a physical packs and have the same cards online, because there is a redeemed code inside the booster pack.
    The same company produce both games in the same building. Just different people.

    Can someone clarify Pokemon Online, maybe I do not understand it properly?
    I don't believe Pokemon was ever produced by Wizards of the Coast. They simply published the already-existing game in the US (possibly some other countries as well); the cards themselves were designed and developed back in Japan.

    However, Wizards of the Coast no longer publishes it either, as Nintendo took back the license some time ago. Nowadays it's published in Europe and the United States by The Pokemon Company International. Wizards of the Coast has nothing to do with the Pokemon TCG.

    You're slightly off in regards to the redeemed codes, however. You don't get the same cards as were in the booster pack. What happens if you get the same kind of booster pack, but the cards inside it will be random (as is generally the case for booster packs) and thus not necessarily the exact same cards you opened in the physical booster pack. Note that you aren't obligated to open it once redeemed, you can keep it in your account and try to trade it for something else.

    Actually, booster packs are basically the currently in the Pokemon TCG Online, because you can't use money to make trades. But you can trade booster packs, so you can offer those up in trade for cards. You can actually buy unredeemed booster pack codes from various sources online like Cool Stuff Inc. or Troll and Toad.

  15. #895
    Greatness awaits!
    Lemnear's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2010
    Location

    Berlin, Germany
    Posts

    7,025

    Re: The current state of Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Oh, and apparently they're trying to cover by giving the biggest streamers extra packs, which just "magically" contain all great stuff. Fucking incredible.
    Is that shit even legal? Not only it's blatant false advertising in regards to odds (topic: lootbox, gambling, etc) but also would mean they manipulate the whole thing at will and for certain accounts.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

    Join us at Facebook!

    Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

    Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

  16. #896

    Re: The current state of Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Is that shit even legal? Not only it's blatant false advertising in regards to odds (topic: lootbox, gambling, etc) but also would mean they manipulate the whole thing at will and for certain accounts.
    That's literally how WotC has always operated in regards to the pros and the bigger stores. It's not illegal, and it's far, far, far, far, far, far from new. And yes, of course they can manually manipulate specific accounts. Would be a complete shit system if they couldn't.

  17. #897
    Greatness awaits!
    Lemnear's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2010
    Location

    Berlin, Germany
    Posts

    7,025

    Re: The current state of Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    That's literally how WotC has always operated in regards to the pros and the bigger stores. It's not illegal, and it's far, far, far, far, far, far from new. And yes, of course they can manually manipulate specific accounts. Would be a complete shit system if they couldn't.
    For me it's a predictable meltdown in the making if WotC is rising odds for youtubers, stores, pros & co, while slaps abyssmal rates onto packs for average joe, just to blame RNG later like its industry standard for lootbox games and their devs. Imo it would be a ticking bomb to mess with odds and players thst way
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

    Join us at Facebook!

    Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

    Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

  18. #898
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,669

    Re: The current state of Magic

    New MTG logo - I don't get why they have to shove their ugly Planeswalker logo everywhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Is that shit even legal? Not only it's blatant false advertising in regards to odds (topic: lootbox, gambling, etc) but also would mean they manipulate the whole thing at will and for certain accounts.
    Who cares? It can and will be mathed out regardless. Pretty much everybody is shitting on them for their abyssal economy and social media spread the word rather effectively. It might have the opposite effect, actually - people are pissed that they have to play against streamers that got a headstart by getting free shit. If people concede to lower their rankings to avoid Scarab God decks, you should probably revisit your system as a dev. Chances are that it isn't going to happen because WotC is going to do WotC things as usual. Dropping the NDA with the shitshow they call an economy is a clear indication for that. I'm keeping the popcorn ready since this is going to be one hell of an amazing trainwreck in the making.
    Currently working on: Infinity Stompy

  19. #899
    A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    PirateKing's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2011
    Location

    BEST JERSEY
    Posts

    1,296

    Re: The current state of Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    New MTG logo - I don't get why they have to shove their ugly Planeswalker logo everywhere.
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand
    I don't care, I'm still free
    You can't take the original Magic card back from me
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

  20. #900

    Re: The current state of Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    ...
    You can't take the original Magic card back from me[/I] ♫
    Don't worry, the all-transform set is coming.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)