Page 56 of 69 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1373

Thread: The current state of Magic

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: The current state of Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Damn last weeks Classic was 6 Brainstorm/Deathrite decks and 2 Moon Chalice decks. This is the state of legacy.
    Careful, mate. One might jump in telling you that the major differences of
    1) 4x Delver, 3x Pyromancer, 2x TNN (Grixis Delver)
    2) 4x Delver, 3x Snapcaster, 2x Leovold (4c)
    3) 4x Hierarch, 4x TNN, 3x Leovold (Sultai Leovold)
    make them totally different decks, which should not get grouped together, ergo the T8 is totally diverse.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Careful, mate. One might jump in telling you that the major differences of
    1) 4x Delver, 3x Pyromancer, 2x TNN (Grixis Delver)
    2) 4x Delver, 3x Snapcaster, 2x Leovold (4c)
    3) 4x Hierarch, 4x TNN, 3x Leovold (Sultai Leovold)
    make them totally different decks, which should not get grouped together, ergo the T8 is totally diverse.
    To be fair while they aren't strategically diverse, they are tactically diverse. Per Wikipedia:

"tactics are the actual means used to gain an objective, while strategy is the overall campaign plan, which may involve complex operational patterns, activity, and decision-making that govern tactical execution."

The overall strategy of these decks is roughly to use cantrips to filter between efficient individual threats and protection spells in order to create a beneficial mismatch between your resources and theirs. The tactics (choice of creatures here) is still important, it's just that it's a much different choice than deciding between strategies ie cantrips plus efficient spells or chalice prison.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

stategically/tactically ... i think you try to differ between the same
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

stategically/tactically ... i think you try to differ between the same
    They're definitely different, the distiction is a pretty common inclusion in a business school strategy class. Another way to explain it is the strategy is "what" you want to accomplish, while the tactics are "how" you will accomplish it. The difference is easier to see in chess than magic if you're bored and want some reading:

https://chessfox.com/the-difference-...tics-in-chess/ .

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Just did a quick check - it lost a bit more or than 4k (or 19%) in the last two months, from 21k to 17k, but in February, it was around 19k. While a 19% drop is still heavy, it isn't as dramatic as you stated, unless I'm missing something.
    Plenty of sets have come out since then. I remember a few years ago when the number was over $28k.

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by fluuu View Post
    I dont know if this is the correct site to post this. First of all, excuse my english. I usually play legacy tournaments in my city, I live in a cosmopolitan city and normally i had no problem to play a legacy tournament with 10 players. Last month, this number have decresed, till last wednesday, when we were just three persons and we werent able to play the tournament. I am a little sad, i have a big legacy pool and i can play almost each legacy deck, but this fact make me think about my cards... I am wondering if it could be acceptable to sell a part of my pool, i dont really need money right now but also i dont wanna have a cards in a box cause i have nobody to play... What do u guys think? Any advertisement would be great for me.

Thank you!
    Thats just normal for summer in terms of mtg legacy tournaments, especially when the player base is older and will spend their time in other activies.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

This new controvery is fresh of the press:

150k $ Rochester Draft at PT Minneapolis

People on social media are fucking pissed and irritated by this move. Why? Just showing up gives you significantly more money than winning big MtG tournaments or placing well in them. Not only that, but half of the players are basically just in for streaming/playing Hearthstone. Let's not forget to mention that they try to promote the game to the Hearthstone crowd with ancient cards which most people never have a chance to play with thanks to the Reserve List.

This whole thing is so poorly thought-out and bizarre, it's baffling, but then again, it's WotC.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

This new controvery is fresh of the press:

150k $ Rochester Draft at PT Minneapolis

People on social media are fucking pissed and irritated by this move. Why? Just showing up gives you significantly more money than winning big MtG tournaments or placing well in them. Not only that, but half of the players are basically just in for streaming/playing Hearthstone. Let's not forget to mention that they try to promote the game to the Hearthstone crowd with ancient cards which most people never have a chance to play with thanks to the Reserve List.

This whole thing is so poorly thought-out and bizarre, it's baffling, but then again, it's WotC.
    Its just one expensive marketing coup disguised as a draft. For me, this has nothing to do with regular Tournaments. It's an ad.

However i agree that choosing stoneage sets for promotion of the current game is outright stupid.

Join us at Facebook!

Worlds Strongest Millionaire
    Aug 2011
    Colorado

It's a cool idea but just bring in Kibler then replace this Amaz dude and Cifka with Kai and LSV. LSV not invited seems strange, maybe he's too busy fucking whoever keeps editing my posts mom
    Last edited by JBlaze; 07-03-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.
    ~ Mohandas Gandhi

Nov 2017
    SKILL INTENSIVE branches

It's just a weird choice by WotC. Given who they're inviting, they clearly see this as an outreach event to grow the playerbase. But choosing Rochester Draft of 93/94 sets is baffling. I love me some old Magic cards, but what do you think the average Hearthstone player is going to think of Magic watching glacially slow games and commentators struggle to explain how banding works? Or ante?

Cool that they're donating all the cards, essentially, to charity though.

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

This is another failed cash grab. I will only watch if they play without sleeves.

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    This is another failed cash grab. I will only watch if they play without sleeves.
    How can it be a cash grab when all the money is going out?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Its just one expensive marketing coup disguised as a draft. For me, this has nothing to do with regular Tournaments. It's an ad.
    It is. The choice is still bizarre, though. Wouldn't it make sense to use current formats with recent product to lure in new players (just kidding, Standard is still a shitshow)? How would new players be drawn in by old as shit cards they don't know the appeal? Do they want to cater to the Jihad audience?

Since they have that much money to throw around, they could have also made it an Invitational. At least that would have the cool "Oh shit, I can make my own card!" for new players. But considering how much R&D is already in shambles, maybe it's better that way.

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    How can it be a cash grab when all the money is going out?
    This is a failed marketing, it is addressed to none. New players cannot afford a Beta draft, even a beta playable card. Old farts already have their Legacy/Vintage/9394 or power cube at home.

So yeah, this is a failed cash grab instead of attracting new players (cheap interesting formats with an high quality online platform) and giving something for old players (multiple easy to access balanced formats). They give you a something you really dont want to touch.

This makes me want to play Hearthstone and after selling one revised Bayou (nah, better, my foil snapcaster), I can easily play for free for the incoming year.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I mean, I'll watch it. But it's pretty dumb. I wonder if they have a marked pack and will have a lotus in the draft. I remember the other big flashback draft they had a Zendikar treasures pack that just happened to have I think a USea?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I mean, I'll watch it. But it's pretty dumb. I wonder if they have a marked pack and will have a lotus in the draft. I remember the other big flashback draft they had a Zendikar treasures pack that just happened to have I think a USea?
    I will say yes, probably Kibler or the other Hearthstone player will have it. Just to show "our game is better, look, a common guy can open a BMW, do you have that in other games, now go buy Magic 2019"

I really enjoyed the beta draft they did recently in Las Vegas, but this one is really strange

Such a large prize pool for what is essentially show matches
    People there for their achievements and people there because they are hearthstone streamers now
    Advertising a game through showing what is basically a completely different game (old school vs modern design)
    Splitting the entire bracket over 4 days (the draft and each round on separate days), with the finals on Sunday morning

I wonder what prompted such a change from the other one they did. It did run really late, but that entire tournament was plagued with issues to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    This is a failed marketing, it is addressed to none. New players cannot afford a Beta draft, even a beta playable card. Old farts already have their Legacy/Vintage/9394 or power cube at home.

So yeah, this is a failed cash grab instead of attracting new players (cheap interesting formats with an high quality online platform) and giving something for old players (multiple easy to access balanced formats). They give you a something you really dont want to touch.

This makes me want to play Hearthstone and after selling one revised Bayou (nah, better, my foil snapcaster), I can easily play for free for the incoming year.
    We must not agree on what a cash grab is.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Such a large prize pool for what is essentially show matches.
    I think that looking at it as a "price pool" for a "tournament" is wrong. They are literally paying thousands of Dollar for everyone who pops up and does MTG promotion by sitting down and playing show matches.

They could just pay everyone 10 grand for playing and call it a day, but that wouldn't work nearly as good in regards to twitch viewers & Co, than diguising this payed promotion as "150$ ROCHESTER DRAFT! LARGEST PRICEPOOL IN HISTORY! SEE BLACK LOTUS & CO IN ACTION! .... AND CHARITY! WOOOOOO!".

In any case, I don't think its worth the buzz. Its, as usual, a braindead marketing gag by WotC, which does not target potentially new players the game needs, but only the ones who already know that MTG and PT Minneapolis even exist. For more than 20 years the company never got that promotion AT MTG EVENTS is pointless and that they have to show presence in non-MTG nerd domains.

Join us at Facebook!

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Are there any trusted estimates on how much unopened 93/94 product exists?

Thread Information