Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elite White and Red Card

Elite White and Red Card

I feel like legacy is really missing an elite white and red permanent. I'm not sure what it would look like...but it should be good enough to tempt people away from Drs/tnn/delver/Leo/goyf/Thalia as their threats of choice.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: Elite White and Red Card

Red has a fairly elite card. Many a Blue deck has splashed for just one red card, Bolt. Then also you have shit like REB. As for shit like Creatures, there is a whole white deck built on powerful permanents and there are red cards like Eidolon that cause hell.

The issue you could say is red doesn't have a card like Snapcaster, well that's a pitty. I guess people will just have to learn how to use Goblin Welder again. He never did anything broken right?
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Stoneforge mystic is quite good. Blood moon and young Pyromancer are both permanents that are go to cards that are red.
    -rob

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

I think he meant Legacy lacks an elite WR gold card.
    For those interested in the latest Ancient decks (and the format in general) visit: http://ancientmtgdecks.blogspot.ca/

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Stoneforge mystic is quite good. Blood moon and young Pyromancer are both permanents that are go to cards that are red.
    Bloodmoon yes, Pyro is almost universally played in Blue shells. It's about as Blue now as Nimble Mongoose is.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Teluin View Post
    I think he meant Legacy lacks an elite WR gold card.
    Yeah I meant this. Young pyro and bolt are splashed for as mentioned. Welder/blood moon are great but force specific deck design. Something pushed like WRR, when "the prototype" enters the battlefield exile target permanent. When prototype leaves the battlefield it does 3 damage to target creature or player, 4/2.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Your deck lacks the consistency of 8 cantrips so over a long event you'll lose to your self enough that you won't top 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

It would need impressive power and toughness/combat ability, be a hatebear, and have pro blue pro black to get anywhere.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

goblin legionnaire used to be bomb.

used to be...
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    I feel like legacy is really missing an elite white and red permanent. I'm not sure what it would look like...but it should be good enough to tempt people away from Drs/tnn/delver/Leo/goyf/Thalia as their threats of choice.
    I think RW has some playable gold cards (e.g. Nahiri), but people want to play blue to interact with fast combo and for consistency.

Cards like

Ajani Vengeant
    Nahiri, the Harbinger
    Figure of Destiny
    Akiri, Line-Slinger
    Veteran Motorist
    Depala, Pilot Exemplar
    Duergar Hedge-Mage

aren't that bad actually.

But RW's control strategies can't interact with the stack and RW's aggro strategies lose to combo decks as well and are probably worse than other aggro strategies and/or lose to midrange.

Mar 2013

Painter makes for a decent R/W control combo hybrid. Was more popular in 2014 than it is now. But it's the lightest of splashes. I think that's mostly true for all R/W decks, almost exclusively one colour with a touch of the other.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

White and Red could have things that tutor/draw for equipments or small weenies, and permanents that use cards in exchange for tokens, decent grave removal (i have been arguing in favor of grave removal being in red and it's already in white), good permanent general removal (something like a sorcery shock//disenchant), recurring of artifacts and or enchantment from the grave, powerful RW hatebears and mass destruction spells/sweeper.

Instead it's all about attacking, which ain't that good in legacy. I could see something like:

Godo, retrained 2WR
    creature - human soldier
    As this ETB, search your library for an equip with cmc 3 or less, reveal it, and put it on the battlefield.
    First strike
    3/3

Additional tutoring for equipments.

Goblin Training Grounds WR
    Enchantment
    1, discard a card: put 2 1/1 goblin tokens otb.

Token generator that essentially give you consistency by making every draw a pair of goblins.

A WR recruiter (Royal Recruiter: mix the two recruiters and shave a mana), as another consistency tool.

Cleansing Fire WR
    Sorcery
    Exile target graveyard, then deal X damage to that graveyard's controller, where X is the number of cards exiled this way.

Grave hate.

The End XWR
    Sorcery
    Destroy all-non lands permanents with cmc X or less, than each player sacrifices X lands.

Mass removal.

Do R
    Sorcery
    Deal 2 damage to target creature or player
    //Undo 1W
    Sorcery
    Destroy target artifact or enchantment.

Flip card that can remove T1 DRS.

Ash Priest WR
    Creature - Human Priest Warrior
    Whenever a card goes in a graveyard from anywhere, exile it unless a player let Ashen Priest deal 1 damage to him or her.
    Choose: endure or forget
    2/3

A possible playable hatebear on the example of Ash Zealot.

Nahiri and Ajani are good but are essentially semi-control cards in a pair of colors that have an hard time being controllish, at least with the options they have right now. More efficient mass removals (which for some reasons it's apparently more green than white or red? see maelstrom pulse and pernicious deed) and/or taxing/prison cards, or good defensive creatures and the colors would be playable in Legacy again as main colors more than splash. Not that they're terrible right now, they just are good mostly as splashes.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Your deck lacks the consistency of 8 cantrips so over a long event you'll lose to your self enough that you won't top 8.
    The trick is you play the cantrips and go UWR. Diversity achieved!

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

I think the closest thing we've gotten to a good RW card is Nahiri, the Harbinger and she's not turning any heads. I don't even know what a RW hatebear would look like. With the way they have treated red in the last few sets it's probably going to be direct damage.

Something like this:

Playable WR Hatebear

Destroy target artifact, deal 1 damage to target player or creature.

Destroy target enchantment, gain 1 life.

What's the problem you are addressing with your W/R card? If it's great and costs XRW it'll just be part of the best Brainstorm / Magic Shell deck. Unless it says sacrifice all Islands you control.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I think the closest thing we've gotten to a good RW card is Nahiri, the Harbinger and she's not turning any heads. I don't even know what a RW hatebear would look like. With the way they have treated red in the last few sets it's probably going to be direct damage.
    Direct damage doesn't have to be weak, but it leaves very little room between overpowered and useless.

Helix Storm Alchemist
    R/W R/W

T: ~ does 1 damage to target creature or player and you gain 1 life.

Whenever a player casts a spell you may untap ~.

0/4

You could combine the protection and redirection:

RW
    Wilfire Guardian

Discard a card at random: Select new targets for a spell that targets you or a permanent you control.

2/2

rrw - Knight of Variance
    Pro White, Pro Black
    Human Knight
    3/4
    ETB all players sacrifice a blue perm
    LTB all players sacrifice an Island

"Good luck finding me without Brainstorm!"

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Cleansing Fire WR
    Sorcery
    Exile target graveyard, then deal X damage to that graveyard's controller, where X is the number of cards exiled this way.
    Man. this is a burn staple :) (and probably too good for legacy)

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Man. this is a burn staple :) (and probably too good for legacy)
    Nope. Now, if it were instant...

For the Elite cards, SFM is arguably the White Elite card, as it's both a Tutor effect in White, and a way to cheat in Equipment.

As for Red, well, Red seems to be paired with another color outside of Burn (often Blue).

I'd kind fo want something that permits copying instants and sorceries, similar to Dualcaster Mage, which is an amusing way to win counter-wars, but isn't really good.

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post
    I think RW has some playable gold cards (e.g. Nahiri), but people want to play blue to interact with fast combo and for consistency.

Cards like

Ajani Vengeant
    Nahiri, the Harbinger
    Figure of Destiny
    Akiri, Line-Slinger
    Veteran Motorist
    Depala, Pilot Exemplar
    Duergar Hedge-Mage

aren't that bad actually.

But RW's control strategies can't interact with the stack and RW's aggro strategies lose to combo decks as well and are probably worse than other aggro strategies and/or lose to midrange.
    Duergar Hedge-Mage is a beating. Love that card. Plateau's best friend.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Thread Information