Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wintergreen

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Wintergreen

In a sense this is a green homage to the Mono-Red Sneak/Breach Big Red deck, in that both are also trying to cheat in fatties and use similar lock pieces. Being a green deck first and foremost, the name Wintergreen will be used because like Big Red, it is also a bubble gum flavor.

The deck runs mana accelerants and Sol Lands and takes advantage of sacable mana dorks which can help trigger Pattern of Rebirth or Natural Order. Heart Warden and Devoted Druid are included because they can both be tapped for mana, can be sacrificed, and also have a casting cost of 2 which is added insurance for us to run our own Chalice. While not necessarily the fastest combo deck out there, it is a lot of fun to play, has lots of redundancy and keeps bringing the heat. Dryad Arbor is also fetchable which is a great option with Natural Order.

Here is the current list 5/20/18:

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    3 City of Solitude
    4 Lotus Petal

4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    2 Progenitus
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    4 Heart Warden
    4 Devoted Druid

1 Krosan Grip
    4 Natural Order
    4 Pattern of Rebirth

2 Dryad Arbor
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    5 Forest
    2 Misty Rainforest
    3 Windswept Heath
    1 Savannah

// 15 Sideboard
    SB: 1 Helm of Obedience
    SB: 1 Academy Rector
    SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
    SB: 1 Circle of Protection: Red
    SB: 1 Choke
    SB: 1 City of Solitude
    SB: 2 Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 Beast Within
    SB: 1 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Creeping Mold
    Last edited by Fallen_Empire; 05-20-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Original Gangster
    Jan 2017

Re: Wintergreen

Swamp, dark ritual, ensnaring bridge. Maybe a Shatter in the sideboard, or something similar.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
    Swamp, dark ritual, ensnaring bridge. Maybe a Shatter in the sideboard, or something similar.
    I don't see how ensnaring bridge would help me, seeing how my win condition is swinging with huge fatties. But thanks for the input. I have 4x Krosan Grips in the side just to fight bridge.

Original Gangster
    Jan 2017

Didn't notice Krosan Grip. Shatter is a little cheaper though. All in all it looks good.

I'm a big pattern/NO fan. You might find something you like in here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...hlight=Pattern .

Your list is very all in with no protection or sylvan library type cards. I think you will find this frustrating. I would cut through the breach, some fast maña, and all but 2 big creatures. Replace with trinisphere, green sun zenith, sylvan library.

Apr 2010
    Germany

How about some fetchlands + Dryad Arbor.

1. Protects your fatties from Liliana of the Veil
    2. more fodder for Natural Order with a relative low amount of effort (basically every fetchland can be used as a creature for NO)
    3. play Wastelands on your own Dryad Arbor enchanted with Pattern
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Apr 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    I'm a big pattern/NO fan. You might find something you like in here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...hlight=Pattern .

Your list is very all in with no protection or sylvan library type cards. I think you will find this frustrating. I would cut through the breach, some fast maña, and all but 2 big creatures. Replace with trinisphere, green sun zenith, sylvan library.
    Your comment made me think of the "Sylvan Plug" / Gb Stompy deck. This is why I threw in some Chokes and ended up with the following list.

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Forest
    5 Fetchlands
    2 Dryad Arbor
    4 Wasteland

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinishpere
    4 Choke

4 Natural Order
    4 Pattern of Rebirth
    4 Sylvan Library

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Tinder Wall
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide

2 Progenitus
    1 Emrakul

Some thoughts after goldfishing a bit:

* some Tinder Walls could be replaced with some Wild Cantor
    * most of the time I used Dryad Arbor as an outlet for NO or Pattern. Wasteland targeting
    * so far I didn't use Tinder Wall for mana, just occasionally as a sac-outlet. Makes me wonder if any other suicidal creature would do better. e.g. something that lets you discard a card (read: Emrakul/Progenitus)
    * seems like the average combo turn is 3.
    * in the absence of super-early combo turns, there is a lot of fun stuff you can do:
    - play any lock piece on T1 and follow up with more harrass (Wasteland, more lock pieces)
    - ramp mana with GSZ into Dryad Arbor
    - circumvent Chalice on X=1 with GSZ for X=1, searching for Tinder wall
    - drop Sylvan Library on turn 1
    * the deck is pretty all-in still. I often end up hellbent and/or with 0-1 lands in play after the combo is executed (Pattern + Drad Arbor + Wasteland usses 2 lands after all; plus City of Traitors isn't exactly a permenent source of mana

I'll do a few testruns this week to see how it performs outside of the goldfish glass and report back here.
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

I like the list! Devoted Druid might be a better suicide maña dork than tinder wall. -3 tinder wall -1 choke -1 sylvan library. +3 devoted Druid +1 quill spike +1 gsz target.

Thoughts on Lotus Cobra for acceleration? Also Primeval Titans would give access to a one-and-done Marit Lage in a pinch.

Creatures:14
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Lotus Cobra
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Primeval Titan
    1 Progenitus

Spells:25
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Sylvan Library
    4 Trinisphere
    1 Garruk Relentless
    4 Natural Order

Lands:21
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    1 Dark Depths
    4 Forest
    1 Thespian's Stage
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:15
    3 Faerie Macabre
    4 Choke
    4 Krosan Grip
    3 Song of the Dryads
    1 Garruk Relentless

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Fantastic deck name! Your original list seems fast enough but has no protection in the main. I would recommend trying out Xantid Swarm, Guttural Response, and Boseiju, Who Shelters All. Xantid Swarm doubles as a body you could sacrifice to Natural Order. I like the suggestion to add a Dryad Arbor, and you would need to add fetchlands to support it. You might also try out Veteran Explorer, since you are playing lots of basic lands already. If you add more green creatures, I think adding one copy of Craterhoof Behemoth would improve the deck. Worldspine Wurm is at its best when it has haste, but you don't get that through Natural Order. City of Traitors would likely be better than Crystal Vein, but I appreciate budget concerns, if that is the case.

Aug 2010
    Belgium

Is anyone still testing this deck?

I'm working on a red splash. (Punishing fire, Side : Blood Moon and Ancient Grudge)
    Any good thoughs on other red cards?

Many thanks,

Never saw this thread before but I love this deck. Very cool concept. Wish there was a better alternative to Heart Warden, one that doesn't require 2 mana to sac so that you can activate pattern of rebirth turn two.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Thanks for all the suggestions, it takes a village. After some more thinking I am leaning toward cutting the through the breaches. They require having bigs in hand, while the other green tutors don't. This is my current list, though I haven't had the chance to sleeve it up (damn you work). This deck is a blast, hope others can help carry the torch/ keep the suggestions coming:

4 Lotus Petal
    2 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    2 Dryad Arbor
    3 Wooded Foothills
    2 Windswept Heath
    4 Forest
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland

1 Tinder Wall
    4 Wild Cantor
    4 Devoted Druid

4 Natural Order
    4 Pattern of Rebirth
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Craterhoof Behemoth
    2 Progenitus
    2 Xantid Swarm

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Sylvan Library

//Sideboard
    SB: 4 Krosan Grip
    SB: 3 City of Solitude
    SB: 2 Choke
    SB: 2 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 2 Guttural Response
    SB: 2 Song of the Dryads

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Not sure why you'd use Through the Breach over Sneak Attack. Similar mana reqs and Sneak can be played without a dude in hand.

I would consider Summoner's Pact as a tutor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Defense of the Heart + Forbidden Orchard

Also apart from the obvious Emrakul add a Xenagos, God. for killing on the spot with a Haste 30/30 Emrakul

I would play DotH 2,3x in this deck

Aug 2010
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Defense of the Heart + Forbidden Orchard

Also apart from the obvious Emrakul add a Xenagos, God. for killing on the spot with a Haste 30/30 Emrakul

I would play DotH 2,3x in this deck
    I think Xenagos is a win-more. You need to have already a fattie into play.

I don't believe in sneak attack or through the breach in this deck. The strength over this deck lies in the fact that you don't need to have a fattie on hand. This opens slots in your deck and gives less variation.
    I played sneak/show last tournament and despite 4x ponder, 4x brainstorm, 2x Preordain and 2x Probe, there were games were i didn't find the "other" combo piece on time. I'm looking for a tutor (in red or green) that can search me Natural Order or Pattern of Rebirth. Do you guys have any thoughts???

I like the idea of Defense of the Heart, but i think it will be a good sideboard card. There are still a lot of decks that don't run a lot of creatures and we have (for the moment) no way to tutor for Forbidden Orchard. Crop Rotation could be an answer (can tutor Grove of the Burnwillows also), but i dislike not playing chalice of the void in this deck...

I like configuration of 3 creatures maindeck : 2x Prognitius (a lot of Karakas around) and 1 Emrakul. Which creatures do you prefer, and why???

Quote Originally Posted by GoboLord View Post
    Your comment made me think of the "Sylvan Plug" / Gb Stompy deck. This is why I threw in some Chokes and ended up with the following list.

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Forest
    5 Fetchlands
    2 Dryad Arbor
    4 Wasteland

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinishpere
    4 Choke

4 Natural Order
    4 Pattern of Rebirth
    4 Sylvan Library

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Tinder Wall
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide

2 Progenitus
    1 Emrakul

Some thoughts after goldfishing a bit:

* some Tinder Walls could be replaced with some Wild Cantor
    * most of the time I used Dryad Arbor as an outlet for NO or Pattern. Wasteland targeting
    * so far I didn't use Tinder Wall for mana, just occasionally as a sac-outlet. Makes me wonder if any other suicidal creature would do better. e.g. something that lets you discard a card (read: Emrakul/Progenitus)
    * seems like the average combo turn is 3.
    * in the absence of super-early combo turns, there is a lot of fun stuff you can do:
    - play any lock piece on T1 and follow up with more harrass (Wasteland, more lock pieces)
    - ramp mana with GSZ into Dryad Arbor
    - circumvent Chalice on X=1 with GSZ for X=1, searching for Tinder wall
    - drop Sylvan Library on turn 1
    * the deck is pretty all-in still. I often end up hellbent and/or with 0-1 lands in play after the combo is executed (Pattern + Drad Arbor + Wasteland usses 2 lands after all; plus City of Traitors isn't exactly a permenent source of mana

I'll do a few testruns this week to see how it performs outside of the goldfish glass and report back here.

I very much like this list, though I love the OP's tech of x1 Xantid Swarm to push through the NO/PoR on main-phase 2. I also like the idea of playing something like x1 Crucible instead of the Choke, and maybe slapping x2 Horizon Canopy in there, just to eek out some extra value out of the lands. Crucible also lets you chump something with Dryad Arbor until you combo off, if need be.

Also, if the deck goes hellbent a lot, what do you think of Courser? Obviously another port from Sylvan Plug, but it can be pretty damn good, and it's a 2/4 to boot.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Headshot View Post

I like configuration of 3 creatures maindeck : 2x Prognitius (a lot of Karakas around) and 1 Emrakul. Which creatures do you prefer, and why???
    I like Emrakul but because it isn't green and can't be tutored with Natural Order I run the 2x Prognitius's as insurance. Plus there is also the risk that you draw them so it's good to have more than just the single copy. They are both good also because if they end up in the graveyard there is a good chance they get put back in deck, allowing for another chance to be tutored out again.

You really don't want bigs in hand, you want them in the library. I feel like there could even be more tech space to find a card that allows you to discard a fattie in hand (allowing you the option to shuffle Em/Prognit back into the library to be tutored) while also giving you a marginal benefit.

isn't Eureka perfect here as well?

Aug 2010
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    isn't Eureka perfect here as well?
    Eureka needs fatties on hand. Like being said, this deck needs fatties in the library. There's a separate thread for eureka.

Indeed, we need a way to discard your creatures via a green creature. I haven't found a solution yet. Any idea's?

Thread Information