Thread: Enchant World (somewhat long post - tl:dr at the end)

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Enchant World (somewhat long post - tl:dr at the end)

Alright, so here's the situation (copy pasted from my post in Elves!):
    He finally gets the mana to cast a S&T into Emrakuul but by the time he could attack I had him at 2 with 3 guys in play, a Nether Void and 4 lands so I cast another Void*, passed the turn and sac'd the lands/Voids after he attacked. The 3 creatures were left and let me win game 1.

The * is where the problem is - can I do that? I'm pretty sure I had some 'dead' fetch lands in my hand so I would've won regardless, but I want to know for other matches.

--------

The rule states: 704.5m If two or more permanents have the supertype world, all except the one that has had the world supertype for the shortest amount of time are put into their owners’ graveyards. In the event of a tie for the shortest amount of time, all are put into their owners’ graveyards. This is called the “world rule.”

The reason I'm confused is because it says "If two or more permanents" and under Rulings it says "Unlike the “legend rule,” the “world rule” doesn't care about the names of permanents. It cares only about the world supertype."
    Not to mention that when you read the Rulings on the WotC website for an Enchant World card, it states "This has the supertype world. When a world permanent enters the battlefield, any world permanents that were already on the battlefield are put into their owners’ graveyards. This is a state-based action called the “world rule.” The new world permanent stays on the battlefield. If two world permanents enter the battlefield at the same time, they’re both put into their owners’ graveyards."

I bolded the parts that are relevant - both rule/ruling use plural, so my understanding is there CAN be 2 World cards in play. The only possible situation that I can think of would be duplicates of the same World card.

TL:DR - can 2 of the same Enchant World be in play at the same time?

Honestly, I tried to find an answer online but this seems to be a pretty obscure topic as it hasn't been relevant in 20ish years.

Thanks
    For those interested in the latest Ancient decks (and the format in general) visit: http://ancientmtgdecks.blogspot.ca/

Re: Enchant World (somewhat long post - tl:dr at the end)

Quote Originally Posted by Teluin View Post
    I bolded the parts that are relevant - both rule/ruling use plural, so my understanding is there CAN be 2 World cards in play. The only possible situation that I can think of would be duplicates of the same World card.

TL:DR - can 2 of the same Enchant World be in play at the same time?
    Two can be in play at the same time. Briefly! This allows you to play an Enchant World card if your opponent already has one in play. Then the first one is put into the graveyard.

You cannot have two in play persistently.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Can you explain why the rulings contain board states where there are 3+ Worlds in play at the same time?
    For those interested in the latest Ancient decks (and the format in general) visit: http://ancientmtgdecks.blogspot.ca/

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

For example after resolving Eureka.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    For example after resolving Eureka.
    Ahh. Because in the event that 3 people put an Enchant World into play, #s 1 and 2 only get sac'd upon Eureka resolving, not being put into play, yes?

Thank you

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Yes.

Though technically, they do get put into play, and then they leave play. So things that care about that sort of stuff will trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Teluin View Post
    not being put into play, yes?
    I think you misunderstood how Eureka works. All cards are put into play. State-based effects are only applied once Eureka has been completly resolved.

Also, you don't need three people. You can also have 3 or more Enchant Worlds in play at the same time with just two people. Both players take turns putting things into play. Almost nothing (except for replacement effects; is there anything else?) happens during this; especially not State-Based Effects.

Once Eurkea has been completly resolved, State-Based Effects are applied and only the Enchant World put into play most recently will stay.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    I think you misunderstood how Eureka works. All cards are put into play. State-based effects are only applied once Eureka has been completly resolved.

Also, you don't need three people. You can also have 3 or more Enchant Worlds in play at the same time with just two people. Both players take turns putting things into play. Almost nothing (except for replacement effects; is there anything else?) happens during this; especially not State-Based Effects.

Once Eurkea has been completly resolved, State-Based Effects are applied and only the Enchant World put into play most recently will stay.
    Sorry, I think I just mis-worded it and used general examples. I know it can happen between 2 people; the reason I wrote it the way I did is because the ruling states that "In the event of a tie for the shortest amount of time, all are put into their owners’ graveyards." I think Show & Tell does this? But because Eureka actually has you do them in an order, the last one placed onto the board upon resolution of Eureka gets to stay. I assumed that's why you used Eureka as an example. Correct?

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Show and Tell has them enter at the same time, yes. Which is why putting in a Phantasmal Image won't copy your opponent's Emrakul.

The "classic" example is Replenish returning two or more Enchant Worlds at the same time, meaning that none gets to stay.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Thread Information