Thread: Top 8 of Win a Mox with Maverick in The A

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Top 8 of Win a Mox with Maverick in The A

Atlanta is becoming great for eternal in the southeast. This weekend Giga-Bytes hosted what was essentially an eternal weekend in Marietta, GA. Friday night sanctioned vintage, Saturday Legacy for a Mox Pearl, Saturday night Old School, and Sunday Modern. I played vintage and legacy and had a good time this weekend. In Vintage my list was as follows:

4 Birds of Paradise
    3 Orcish Lumberjack
    3 Vengevine
    1 Basking Rootwalla
    1 Walking Ballista
    4 Survival of the Fittest
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Kataki, War's Wage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    2 Renegade Rallier
    2 Reclamation Sage
    1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    2 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    4 Mental Misstep
    1 Anger
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Black Lotus
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Savannah
    2 Taiga
    2 Bayou
    2 Forest
    1 Plateau

SB: Some shitty stuff I don't even remember.

I did very poorly in vintage, losing to 2 shops variants and beating a belcher deck and then round 4 disassemble my deck, borrow dredge, beat Eldrazi player and give him the win. So yeah, first time playing dredge. It's pretty sweet.

We go hit up mazzys for food and beer afterwards and talk about how nobody on team tusk is overly excited to play legacy at this point.

Come Saturday morning and Seemsgood and I prepare to play in legacy. I bring NOverick, but last minute make a bunch of changes and quickly scrawl my decklist and it comes back to bite me.

4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Dryad Arbor
    3 Mother of Runes
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Garruk Relentless

4 Windswept Heath
    3 Wooded Foothills
    2 Savannah
    2 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    4 Wasteland
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Rogue's Passage
    1 Karakas

Sideboard:
    2 Choke
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Faerie Macabre
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Duress
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Armageddon
    2 Wilt Leaf Liege

I was aiming pretty hard on beating Miracles and BUG which ended up being 25 of the 80 decks there I believe. Something like that. Essentially I was playing a Decay main over the third Thalia HTC, but I fucked up. 4th Sword over what should've been a second decay because I wanted to beat deathrites and having 1 mana removal on the draw is pretty fucking key to that.

Round 1: Bye
    I earned a bye by playing and winning enough at local weeklies and relax and watch some matches.

1-0

Round 2: Moon Stompy
    A friend whom also had a bye so it sucks we got paired so early.
    Game 1: I believe I went basic into green sun for dryad arbor, which sucks because I needed to play around moon, but also cut me off of potential stoneforge into wasteland. He makes a turn 1 Goblin Rabblemaster which sucks. I waste his ancient tomb to slow him down , but dont have anything else. I think he plays a basic and attack for 6. I then Stoneforge for Batterskull, he untaps and makes a sin prodder I think, I get skull out and like a scooze I think? He flips chalice off prodder so I bin it, and Slowly I stabilize from 5 life where I was fearing a 4-of he played Fiery Confluence and whittled his board with a 4/4 Scooze, Jitte, and BSkull finally finishing the game at 50 life.
    Game 2: He makes a chalice off land spirit guide. I attempt a Mother of Runes. It resolves. He untaps and Sudden Shocks mom. I make a Jitte and pass. He makes a sin prodder I think. I make Thalia, Heretic Cathar. He flips moon and I take 3 from it. Get attacked and a sol land comes in tapped. I waste it, make I think a Knight or something and bin whatever he flips with Prodder. He makes another tapped land and I waste it and kill prodder. I run away with it and he never gets a 4th mana to make one of the 4 4 drops in his hand.

2-0

Round 3: Shardless
    I scouted the room a bit and thought I remembered him being on a BUG variant of some sort. We got deck checked and I found out that because of all the last minute changes and such I made a few errors. Well I wrote my list down correctly of what I intended to play, but when swapping cards in and out forgot to put some stuff in and put too much other stuff in. So I received a game loss which was demoralizing along with the fact that now I had no mainboard Decay, 3 Thalia, Heretic Cathars, and only 1 decay side. So miracles was gonna be rough.
    Game 2: I get to be on the play, I keep a mediocre hand, but have turn 1 mom. He passes. I Make a scooze. He hyms me. He forces my next turn Knight of the Reliquary and my hand is devoid of any spells. He brainstorms into Shardless Ancestral and I'm sure I'm well on my way to 2-1. But he never answers my Scooze and Mom + Scooze gets there somehow singlehandidly.
    Game 3: On the draw I forget how the games went down but I know I stoneforge for SoFaI, then stoneforge for skull, but mana and choke gets awkward because I need to answer his stuff. Garruk buys me a lot of time, but he deluges for 2 which is my board plus his deathrite and shardless and his large goyf kills my garruk that was making deathtouch wolves who were attacking with a SoFaI. At some point I let his 7/8 goyf hit me to 1 even though I have skull. I get a SoFaI on it and Jitte and play a Scooze. Eat Garruk and Choke to shrink Goyf and Batterkull with SoFaI and Jitte take over and win somehow despite all the card advantage he gains off of Ancestral + Library

3-0

Round 4: Camera match against True Derp BUG
    Game 1: he runs away with the game fairly easily off of turn 2 leovold and turn 3 and 4 true derp nemesis.
    Game 2 I mull to a pretty mediocre 6. He thought seizes my first 2 things, pushes my next thing, but I get a Pridemage and am hitting him while he is stuck on USea + Wasteland to 5. He finds a second blue and plays True Moat Nemesis. Then plays a second one and I quickly die to interactive and skill intensive 3/1's with double exalted.

3-1

Round 5: Miracles with Nahiri
    Game 1: I am on the play and waste his tundra. I think he gets a counterbalance that never really counters anything, A nahiri while hellbent which dies after a turn or two, and I quickly kill him.
    Game 2: I waste him again, Get a turn 3 Garruk, Turn 4 Choke, and run away with it again.
    Link to Match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3tzF5WzSMU
    4-1

Round 6: Miracles with Legendary creatures
    Game 1: my opponent mulls to 5 and I aggro him out fairly easily while he finds no terminus with tops.
    Game 2 I mull to 5 and have turn 1 bird while he has just island and top and cant find a second land. I get KOTR out on turn two and begin attacking. I play mom while he finds a second land finally. I say fuck it and Geddon. He spins top, geddon resolves. He finds a land. Then fetches, and when I go for the kill shot next turn he terminuses me while finding more lands and I die because skill game 1 mana instant wraths are fun.
    Game 3: I basically hit him for 2 each turn with Scryb ranger and Deathrites while he only has counterbalance which I decay. I have a green sun which gets countered. But I just continue to hit him with scryb ranger through VClique because ProBlue. He attempts to snapcaster a plow and I activate ranger to unta deathrite and eat plow and decay a snapcaster that flashes in next turn to attempt to blow dryad arbor just so I have enough spells to eat to kill him.

5-1

Going into the last round I am in 3rd with the highest breakers of the X-1's.

Round 7: UG 12 Post
    We ID since he is in Second and assured T8 but we play it out for fun on camera. We both keep loose hands and make play errors because the match doesn't matter but have fun.

Top 8: UG 12 Post
    Same guy so we know each others lists.
    Game 1: He makes a trop into top. I keep a pretty bad hand against him and for some reason instead of wasting his trop like I should I think that I should try to get my stoneforge out early so I play a fetch and pass. He upkeep tops, presumably to find lands, finds a land, Needles wasteland and fairly quickly assembles mana via a show and tell Primetime to make Ugin.
    Game 2: I again keep a pretty shaky hand and misplay a bunch. Instead of playing Green Sun when I had 4 mana to make a Knight, I cast Thalia into his on board and Actve Karakas. I make stoneforge as well. He show and tells in Emrakul. I untap and green sun for knight, get annhilated for all but a knight and a land. I make Karakas to bounce Emrakul, and think theres a chance. I elect to swords his Prime titan next turn which gets a cloud post and glimmer post. I waste a cloud post and swords prime time so he went from 4 to 16 and instead of wasting his karakas with Knight and casting Thalia to keep him off of 8 mana I simply attack with Knight, he untaps and casts Ugin and I scoop.

Rough way to end the day with a myriad of misplays, but I was pretty tired of magic by the end of the day. Go to Papa Mikes house, eat his steak and drink beer.
    Sunday consisted of Seemsgood and I playing some old school at my house and cubing a bit. We go to eat all you can eat BBQ with Jon after he scrubs out of Modern and hang out with older legends School of Fuck You Sean O'Brien and The People's Champion inventor of The Rock Sol Malka while they regale us with tales of 90's nationals, binge drinking, and stories of why Pernicious Deed and Spirit Monger are the only way to play magic.

Hope everyone enjoyed this report and I'll be back to top 8 with Maverick again while I bitch abut how much I hate legacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Re: Top 8 of Win a Mox with Maverick in The A

Congrats dude. I hated to miss it. Have they announced the dates of the next one yet?

Thread Information