Thread: Asgard Games Monthly "Win a Dual" for Plateau, Top 8 with U/G Infect

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Asgard Games Monthly "Win a Dual" for Plateau, Top 8 with U/G Infect

Hey all, did a quick tournament report for a 30 person "Win a Dual" tournament at our local shop. You can find the link here, any and all comments/questions are welcome and appreciated.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: Asgard Games Monthly "Win a Dual" for Plateau, Top 8 with U/G Infect

I really like this play:
    "Untap, draw the Berserk I left there. My hand is now 2x Invigorate + 1x Berserk, and I know he has Flusterstorm plus one other card I haven't seen yet. I know my only out is to get him to burn Flusterstorm on one of the Invigorates to clear the way for Berserk, and I just have to hope that his second card isn't a relevant piece of interaction. I make the motion of slightly turning the Blighted Agent sideways, turn it back to its untapped position, then clarify that I'm still in main phase before casting the first Invigorate. He lets it resolve, so I quickly cast another one and do my best to bluff whatever facial expression I think would best communicate that I need this second Invigorate to resolve. I'm not sure if the charade worked, but he does end up casting Flusterstorm on the second Invigorate in fear of my last card being a Noble Hierarch, so I move to combat and swing with Blighted Agent and cast Berserk for lethal damage."

Excellent bluff. The kind of bluff that you can get an experienced player with imo, but I could see a lot of newer (or just plain bad) players to not even think about Hierarch and let your spell resolve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Nice run and nice writeup! I was happy our paths didn't cross in the event (though I only went 2-3, so I guess the extra loss wouldn't have mattered for me ).

Your report is missing some key pieces of info I'll give you props for here:
    - You were 1 of only 2 Goyfs to wear your team shirt. Nice job putting us all to shame.
    - 1st place on 2-Card Monte the next day!

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

@Megadeus Glad you liked it, that play was the catalyst that prompted me to finally try my hand at putting together a tournament report. I did my best to include the small nuances of the events, as the presentation of the play/situation was just as important as the play itself in that particular instance. If I'm to do any of these in the future, I definitely intend to take note of situations like this one where I attempt to execute a bluff and my thought process behind how/why.

@Stuart Hey bud, was good seeing you in town this past weekend. Sorry to hear the tournament didn't go so well, but also not sorry because I'm pretty sure I've got a bad matchup against you.

To address your concerns:
    -You're damn right I did, I wear that uniform with pride. Also it's usually clean because it's difficult to wear anywhere outside of the LGS.
    -Legacy gets quick write-ups on the internet, I'm hiring a bard to compose a 28-part ballad commemorating my wins in Vintage.

Thread Information