Thread: Replenish+Aura Shards+Opalescence

Replenish+Aura Shards+Opalescence

Replenish
    Opalescence
    Aura Shards

Some back story, I am trying to practice judging to get experience for the L1 test, last night during an EDH game a scenario came up that I couldn't quite be sure of.

Player cast replenish with an Aura Shards in play. Returning Opalescence and three other enchantment's with non-consequential effects. I was asked if Aura Shards would trigger off the three enchantments that entered. I ruled that yes they would, as opalescence is a continuous effect and based on 611.3c they enter as creatures.

Normally I am very confident in the rulings I give, but this one has lingering doubts as all cards entered simultaneously.

Any further insight into if I was right or wrong, with comp rules that would be relevant would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
    Belcher
    Delver
    Dredge

When your heart won't beat, your eyes go black
    There's a light in the tunnel and you can't turn back
    Your friends can't save you, your family's gone
    You're waiting on your judgment at the foot of the throne
    Will you beg for some mercy? Will you cop some pleas?
    Will you stand on your own or get down on your knees?
    Will your angels release you from where demons dwell?
    Will you make it into Heaven or go right back to Hell?
    Only time will tell

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: Replenish+Aura Shards+Opalescence

I'm pretty sure you were correct, but not because of 611.3 specifically (although that it a part of why), it is because 410.10a-b specifically points to triggers being checked "just after" the zone-change has been applied.

410.10. Trigger events that involve objects changing zones are called “zone-change triggers.” Many abilities with zone-change triggers attempt to do something to that object after it changes zones. During resolution, these abilities look for the object in the zone that it moved to. If the object is unable to be found in the zone it went to, the part of the ability attempting to do something to the object will fail to do anything. The ability could be unable to find the object because the object never entered the specified zone, because it left the zone before the ability resolved, or because it is in a zone that is hidden from a player, such as a library or an opponent’s hand. (This rule applies even if the object leaves the zone and returns again before the ability resolves.) The most common zone-change triggers are comes-into-play triggers and leaves-play triggers.
    410.10a Comes-into-play abilities trigger when a permanent enters the in-play zone. These are written, “When [this object] comes into play, . . . “ or “Whenever a [type] comes into play, . . .” Each time an event puts one or more permanents into play, all permanents in play (including the newcomers) are checked for any comes-into-play triggers that match the event.
    410.10b Continuous effects that modify characteristics of a permanent do so the moment the permanent is in play (and not before then). The permanent is never in play with its unmodified characteristics. Continuous effects don’t apply before the permanent is in play, however (see rule 410.10e).
    Example:
    If an effect reads “All lands are creatures” and a land card is played, the effect makes the land card into a creature the moment it enters play, so it would trigger
    abilities that trigger when a creature comes into play. Conversely, if an effect reads “All creatures lose all abilities” and a creature card with a comes-into-play triggered ability enters play, that effect will cause it to lose its abilities the moment it enters play, so the comes-into-play ability won’t trigger.
    In this way, you are correct. So, the Replenish resolves, the enchantments will enter, Opalesence's continuous ability will apply, Aura Shards will then check each object's characteristics, find they are all creatures and trigger for each one (yes, even for itself), so 2 triggers in the above case of only Opalesensce and the Aura Shards, unless there are more enchantments involved.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thanks for the confirmation no idea why I didn't look in the 410 section.

Belcher
    Delver
    Dredge

Only time will tell

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Beatusnox View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation no idea why I didn't look in the 410 section.

Well, that is partly my fault, it is no longer rule 410, it's actually 603.6a-b, sorry I was looking at an outdated rules document. The rules are worded the same, just numbered different now.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

So I was in the correct general section (600) just the wrong sub section.

That would explain why I didn't look in the 400s lol

Belcher
    Delver
    Dredge

Only time will tell

Thread Information