1 Price of Progress
    2 Smash to Smithereens
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Submerge
    1 Grafdigger’s Cage

Round 1 Grixis 2-1 (1-0)

I played against Mike, on Grixis. Lost game one on the back of an early Gurmag Angler, was not able to get much of a board presence. G2 and G3 went smoothly. Matchup felt fine, as his mana base punishes him with PoP. I didn’t see any Fatal Push in his list (could be a card availability issue), and his main removal was Abrupt Decay which didn’t match up well vs UR.I know Thunderous Wrath caught him very off guard in G2 (which I used to great effect to take out an Angler that was clogging the board). It is likely he was unaware that the card is considered a 1-of in many lists now. I didn’t sideboard too much in these games, as Daze was too good vs his aggressive casting of Gurmag Anglers. I believe I brought in a 3rd PoP for Force of Will.

Round 2 Sneak and Show 2-0 (2-0)

I played against Bryan on Sneak and Show. Game 1 he actually resolved Sneak Attack because I kept a hand with no real permission, just creatures and burn. He hit with Griselbrand on consecutive turns, but did not use the draw 7 activation. After that, he basically was out of gas and I aggro’d him out with Swiftspears and a Delver. G2 I was able to keep him off his Omniscience plan with a grip of REB, FOW, and Spell Pierce and won handily. The SnS matchup feels pretty good in general, and this match was pretty standard. I believe the SB here was pretty light here too. REB for counter wars and a resolved Omniscience, and a Spell Pierce. I think I shaved a Chain Lightning and the Bedlam Revelers, as I felt I wouldn’t get a chance to cast them.

Round 3 Feature Match 2-1 (3-0)

I played against John (he eventually took down the event) and he was on BUG. Game one was over quickly with an early Delver which was killed after 2 attacks, but a pair of Swiftspears and removal for Deathrites and Dark Confidants won it. He ran away with Game 2 on the back of a beefy Tarmogoyf and enough Stifles to keep me of mana for a few turns. Game 3 was on camera and ended up being pretty one sided. I had enough pressure and he flooded pretty hard. I think the final turn was PoP for 6, then Fireblast with a Stormchaser on the board that could attack for lethal had Fireblast been countered. John was a very nice dude from the Boston area and I was happy to see him win out in Top 8. SB here was pretty basic as well, bring in PoP and a Submerge and side out Reveler, I think that was about it.

Round 4 Feature Match 1-2 (3-1)

Played against Jason. He was also on SnS with Cunning Wish, and was able to Show and Tell an Emrakul into play when he was at 5 life, and I quickly lost that game. Game 2 was very much in my favor, as he had all the action in hand (a Probe revealed Sneak Attack, Griselbrand, Emrakul, and Omniscience) but I had plenty of counters, a Swiftspear, Stormchaser Mage, and PoP to carry me through the game. Game 3 was again a story of a resolved Omniscience and Emrakul. I remember having to mulligan both G2 and G3, and especially in G3 when I had a 6 card opener of 3 lands, a couple creatures/cantrips, and a REB as my only permission. This was likely a bad keep, but I wasn’t convinced I’d get a better 5 card hand. Was kinda bummed to lose in Round 4 because it made getting into T8 harder, but we still had a chance.

Round 5 Sneak and Show 2-1 (4-1)

This was against our friend and fellow podcaster Peter, also on Sneak and Show. Peter lost G1 to us getting deck checked and he failed to de-sideboard properly, which sucks. He took G2 on the back of Show and Tell + Emrakul, but Game 3 was pretty one sided, as I was able to get on the beatdown pretty quickly with 3 Swiftspears. Early Probe revealed Emrakul, Ancient Tomb, Griselbrand, Spell Pierce, Sneak Attack, Sneak Attack, Flooded Strand. I kept up enough countermagic to fight the Sneak Attack.

Round 6 Feautre Match 0-2 (4-2)

Round 6 was against Noah Walker. Looking at breakers there were too many 12 points to draw into Top 8 so we had to play it out. As we were walking to the feature match area he noted I was on UR and was doing pretty well, I asked if he was on Grixis and he said no. Found out he was running a BUG list with Deathrite, Snapcaster, Strix, Clique, Fatal Push, and Kolaghan’s Command. G1 was pretty close, but after losing my opening threat to a Fatal Push and my second to a Snapcaster + Fatal Push, it was tough to get back up to speed. Game 2 I had an early Probe and he was sitting on Push, Brainstorm, Flusterstorm, Counterspell, Kolaghans Command, and Engineered Explosives. I had a hand of 2 Swiftspears and Delver of Secrets for threats, so those weren’t great against his opener. Later in the game I played into his Flusterstorm too easily, completely failing to check my notes. I have a Swiftspear online, and he’s got 3 duals out and no creatures to block, he’s at 12. I know if I don’t kill him this turn I’ll die on the crack back, as he is playing really flawlessly, using Jace and Clique to card advantage me out of the game. So I PoP, he goes to Kolaghan Command my Stormchaser in response. Knowing I need to keep the SCM online to win this turn, I sac my 2 red sources to play fireblast, but he played Flusterstorm and puts 2 copies on each of my burn spells. With only 1 open mana and REB in hand, it was game over. It was rough and a lesson learned.

Overall, the deck was great. Playing Sneak and Show 3 times was an excellent streak of luck, as that matchup is definitely favored for the UR Delver player. I had to mulligan only a few times which was also nice. I loved only running 3 FOW in the main, because the deck has a very hard time recovering from 2 for 1-ing itself. I had more than a few listeners ask me about running Young Pyromancer in this build, and I have a lot of thoughts on that subject which will be turning into an article soon. I would likely make a couple changes based on what I saw, including adding a Flusterstorm to the SB (I don’t own one) and maybe trading a Reveler for a Clique. Also, I ended up playing 3 of the Top 8 players during the Swiss, so it was definitely a slog of a day to come in 9th, but 10/10 would jam again.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to hit me up!
    Last edited by pateuglow; 03-13-2017 at 08:21 AM.
    Streaming on Twitch! twitch.tv/leavingalegacy

Co-host of Leaving a Legacy

Re: 9th Place at TJ's Legacy Challenge with UR Miracle

Pyroblast is strictly better here, if for nothing else than to pump your Swiftspears and Mages by targeting anything.

Otherwise, nice work!

Jun 2015
    MA

Re: 9th Place at TJ's Legacy Challenge with UR Miracle

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    Pyroblast is strictly better here, if for nothing else than to pump your Swiftspears and Mages by targeting anything.

Otherwise, nice work!
    100% agree for those exact reasons - only trouble was I hadn't played paper Legacy in a few months and couldn't find my Pyros lol
    Streaming on Twitch! twitch.tv/leavingalegacy

Co-host of Leaving a Legacy

Thread Information