Thread: G/W Hatebears

G/W Hatebears

I don't see this as a thread yet, and to be honest I'm not sure if there is a Death and Taxes in the legacy forum. And that is where this deck is built from, and adding green brought some really good tools for our hate. Please take a moment review the deck, this is the version that goes the flicker route instead of the discard route, which could be found in a good meta that has heavy discard decks like of Jund.

Creature (31 in total)
    4x Leonin Arbiter
    4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4x Voice of Resurgence
    2x Qasali Pridemage
    2x Mirran Crusader
    1x Brimaz, King of Oreskos
    4x Flickerwisp
    4x Restoration Angel
    1x Eternal Witness
    3x Blade Splicer
    2x Renegade Rallier

Instant and Sorcery (4 in total)
    4x Path to Exile

Artifact (4 in total)
    4x Aether Vials

Land (21 in total)
    2x Forest
    2x Plains
    2x Stirring Wildwood
    3x Razorverge Thicket
    3x Gavony Township
    4x Ghost Quarter
    3x Temple Garden
    2x Tectonic Edge

Sideboard (15 cards of course)
    2x Grafdigger's Cage
    3x Leyline of Sanctity
    2x Pithing Needle
    1x Rest in Peace
    2x Thrun, the Last Troll
    2x Stony Silence
    3x Scavenging Ooze
    Last edited by afifthofjack; 03-16-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Re: G/W Hatebears

All of the choices seem defensible, but I can't imagine playing G/W Hate Bears without Aether Vial and Noble Hierarch. I'm not actually a huge fan of Restoration Angel in these decks, but Noble Hierarch's mana boost makes the Angel much more playable. If you're on the blink plan, I think Eldrazi Displacer may be a more desirable choice, as it's just quicker to the board. Kitchen Finks is also kind of a no-brainer in deck that can blink its creatures. Thalia, Heretic Cathar is a card that has really impressed me, which I've played in mono white Death and Taxes, but is potentially even more powerful in the GW version if you're playing Noble Hierarch to play it turn 2. I'm not in love with Voice of Resurgence in this deck, as it's just a really good bear, but not particularly hateful. I think the "play on your own turn" clause of Voice is sort of mitigated if you're playing Aether Vial. Lastly, as sort of lackluster as it is, I think that Scavenging Ooze deserves 1-2 maindeck slots, as there are so many decks that utilize their gaveyard for some value. Scooze allows you to fight Delirium from the Death's Shadow deck and keep their Tarmogoyfs in check, it can mitigate the effectiveness of Snapcaster Mage, and it's an answer to the Abzan Company recursion combos.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainTwiddle View Post
    All of the choices seem defensible, but I can't imagine playing G/W Hate Bears without Aether Vial and Noble Hierarch. I'm not actually a huge fan of Restoration Angel in these decks, but Noble Hierarch's mana boost makes the Angel much more playable. If you're on the blink plan, I think Eldrazi Displacer may be a more desirable choice, as it's just quicker to the board. Kitchen Finks is also kind of a no-brainer in deck that can blink its creatures. Thalia, Heretic Cathar is a card that has really impressed me, which I've played in mono white Death and Taxes, but is potentially even more powerful in the GW version if you're playing Noble Hierarch to play it turn 2. I'm not in love with Voice of Resurgence in this deck, as it's just a really good bear, but not particularly hateful. I think the "play on your own turn" clause of Voice is sort of mitigated if you're playing Aether Vial. Lastly, as sort of lackluster as it is, I think that Scavenging Ooze deserves 1-2 maindeck slots, as there are so many decks that utilize their gaveyard for some value. Scooze allows you to fight Delirium from the Death's Shadow deck and keep their Tarmogoyfs in check, it can mitigate the effectiveness of Snapcaster Mage, and it's an answer to the Abzan Company recursion combos.
    Actually I missed the play set of vial for the main board sorry about that. I have thought about same thing with scavenging ooze. I quickly tossed it into the sideboard til I can get more testing done. I really wanted to play rallyer for testing purpose, that guy might be legit.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by afifthofjack View Post
    I really wanted to play rallyer for testing purpose, that guy might be legit.
    Renegade Rallier is an amazing card. The only problem with it in this type of list is that you aren't playing fetchlands to easily enable revolt. Sure, you can blink it (it's nuts with Eldrazi Displacer), but it's a lot harder to get the immediate value from it.

Another card that I've been really impressed with in the mono white DNT deck that I haven't seen in GW version, likely because most of those decks have opted for Noble Hierarch, is Dryad Militant. It's surprisingly relevant against a lot of decks. I usually only run 2-3 copies, but it's pretty solid. It does a lot of what Scavenging Ooze does, but without the mana investment.

I had the dryad in my early build, but it didn't work with my meta. I would love to get nobles but I feel that they are way over priced for what they do.

Thread Information