Thread: 6-2 at EE6 with Grixis Delver

6-2 at EE6 with Grixis Delver

This Saturday I had the pleasure of playing in the EE6 Legacy Main Event, and went 6-2, keeping up my tradition of going X-2 at Every Legacy EE I go to (EE3-6). I registered the following Decklist

4 Delver
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Young Pyromancer
    2 Gurmag Angler
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Stifle
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Misty Rainforest
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard
    3 Pyroblast
    3 Cabal Therapy
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Baleful Strix
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Snuff Out
    1 Ancient Grudge

I have seen a big shift in Grixis Delver recently, with most players Eschewing the Dismember Spell Pierce and 2 Therapies for 4 Stifle. I feel this makes the miracles matchup much better as well as also giving another angle of attack versus the increasing in popularity BUG Leovold Deck.

Round 1 (BYE)

Was completely unaware that I had a bye but I’ll take it. Listened to some music and decided to shoulder-surf a few friends.

Round 2 (Brendan Mcgrail on 4C Control) 1-2

Game 1 He thoughtseizes me and takes my stifle. I draw a stifle and pass. I wasteland him and stifle his fetch and he can’t find a land and concedes. Game 2 we grind for a bit after I take a mulligan. He resolves a 5/6 Goyf and the game ends in quick fashion. Game 3 he plays a Baleful Strix on turn 2 and another on turn 3 to quickly halt any action I have, and wins in quick fashion thanks to a Tarmogoyf.

Boarding:
    Out: 4 Force of Will 2 Gitaxian Probe
    In: 3 Pyroblast 2 Baleful Strix 1 Umezawa’s Jitte

Round 3 (Abraham Clayman on Death and Taxes) 1-2

Game 1 I force of will an Aether Vial and wasteland him twice and we move to game 2 in quick fashion. Game 2 we grind and I make a critical misplay that costs me an otherwise unlosable game. I have 1 Scalding Tarn in my graveyard and a Deathrite and also a Tropical Island untapped, and I need to hold up ancient grudge to kill a sword of fire and ice that was in his hand.I cast Gurmag Angler and decide to delve away my tarn. End of turn he taps my tropical with port and untaps and puts a sword of fire and ice onto his Mirran Crusader. Game 3 I can’t find mana and Thalia kills me quickly.

Out: 4 Stifle, 2 Force of Will, 1 Gitaxian Probe
    In: 2 Pithing Needle, 2 Baleful Strix, 1 Snuff Out, 1 Ancient Grudge, 1 Umezawa’s Jitte

Round 4 (Lucas Wade on Miracles) 2-0

My first earned win of the day! Game 1 is an odd game, I play a Delver and then stifle 3 of his fetches, dazing a mentor that he finally lands and killing him the turn after.

Our Game 2 is very interesting, I have 3 lands and he has Counter-Top with 1 mana open. I cast a Deathrite and in response he activates top to draw a card. I stifle his top. He Pyroblasts my Stifle which I daze. He blindflips a Tundra, and my Deathrite resolves. I then pyroblast his Counterbalance and Pithing Needle his Sensei’s Divining Top.

Out: 4 Lightning Bolt,, 2 Ponder, 2 Gitaxian Probe
    In: 2 Pithing Needle, 3 Cabal Therapy, 3 Pyroblast

Round 5 (Michael Sol on Maverick) 2-0

Game 1 I am able to flip 2 Delvers and hold his KOTRs at bay with pyromancer tokens.

Game 2 He mulligans hard and I stifle a fetch and then wasteland him.

Out: 4 Gitaxian Probe, 1 Force of Will
    In: 2 Baleful Strix 1 Umezawa’s Jitte, 1 Snuff Out, 1 Ancient Grudge

Round 6 (Daniel White on Eldrazi) 2-0

Game 1 I wasteland 2 of his lands and then cast a Pyromancer, holding up a daze for an eventual Thought-Knot Seer. Reverend Slick tokens come into play and I win in quick fashion.

Game 2 I keep a greedy hand of Force, Force, Strix, Ponder, Wasteland, Wasteland, Pyromancer. I force a Chalice and wasteland him twice. Eventually I find a Misty that can get me a volcanic and Pyromancer takes over the game after I therapy off his Reality Smashers.

Out: 4 Stifle 3 Ponder
    In: 3 Cabal Therapy, 2 Baleful Strix, 1 Snuff Out, 1 Ancient Grudge

Round 7 (Josh Hastey on MUD) 2-0

Game 1 he plays a Chalice on turn 1, and a wasteland on my turn 1 sets him back, missing enough land drops to let me cast a Pyromancer and turn my dead cards into 1/1 Tokens and things to pitch to Force. I Force 2 spells and Reverend Slick tokens take over the game.

Game 2 I Pithing Needle his Grim Monolith after it is tapped for mana and wasteland him and he can’t do much. Delver beats get there.

In: 3 Cabal Therapy, 2 Pithing Needle, 1 Snuff Out, 1 Ancient Grudge
    Out: 4 Stifle 3 Ponder

Round 8 (Hank Zhong on Sneak and Show) 2-1

We decide that we would rather play the match for 75 to loser and 200 to winner than split for 140 each. Game 1 he has a quick Show and Tell with Force back-up and we move to sideboard. Sneak and Show is my favorite matchup for this deck in legacy, I’ve never lost a match to it in Sanctioned Magic with Grixis Delver.

Game 2 I land a delver and am able to Pyroblast a Show and Tell and wasteland his Sol Land, after blanking a few draw steps we go to the last game of magic either of us will play in the event.

Game 3 He plays a Scalding Tarn and passes. I probe him and see Island, Show and Tell*3, and Defense Grid. I play a delver and daze the Defense Grid he casts. I am able to pyroblast a Show and Tell early, but he later resolves a Sneak Attack as he put a Defense Grid in play. I hold up 4 mana to stifle the Sneak Attack when he untaps with a Red Mana and he doesn’t find a creature anyways.

In: 3 Cabal Therapy, 3 Pyroblast, 2 Pithing Needle
    Out: 4 Lightning Bolt, 2 Gurmag Angler, 2 Ponder

Overall I am happy with my performance but wish that for one of these EE events I could get 1 more win or even a draw so that I could top 8. Oh well. I think that I played well and also really enjoyed having stifle in my deck, I believe that stifle is better than the Therapy Pierce Dismember build at the moment

I would also like to thank Michael Mapson for letting me borrow grixis delver for the event.

May 2013
    NAS Oceana

Re: 6-2 at EE6 with Grixis Delver

Hello and good job, your round 7 MUD opponent is my friend. I was rather disappointed by the low turn out to be honest. The legacy rebound event did not even fire off on saturday, and the Legacy side event on Sunday did not fire off either. I was just sitting at the tables reading manga when im bored and walking around seeing how my friends are doing. :(

Anyway good job.
    Legacy: GWR Enchantress (2010-Current)
    I'm also always looking for friendly players in League of Legends IGN Dread Return, doesn't have to be competitive, just be nice and friendly.
    [S3 - Diamond, S4 - Diamond, S5 - Diamond, Current Season - Diamond] Primary role Support, Secondary MID Lane, Alternate Jungle.

Thread Information