Thread: 6-0-2 @ Memphis Plays Legacy 15: 1k (R/W Painter - Shortcake)

Jan 2017
    TN

6-0-2 @ Memphis Plays Legacy 15: 1k (R/W Painter - Shortcake)

Wake up. Shower. Drive. I groggily stepped into Comic Cellar for the Memphis Plays Legacy 15, 1k. I never know quite what to expect when I walk into one of these, but regardless I'm going to paint some stuff blue like I always do.

The list I ran:

Land (19)

4x Ancient Tomb
    1x Arid Mesa
    2x Bloodstained Mire
    3x City of Traitors
    1x Great Furnace
    4x Mountain
    2x Plateau
    2x Wooded Foothills

Instant (9)

3x Enlightened Tutor
    4x Pyroblast
    2x Red Elemental Blast

Artifact (13)

2x Ensnaring Bridge
    4x Grindstone
    1x Lion's Eye Diamond
    3x Lotus Petal
    3x Sensei's Divining Top

Creature (13)

3x Goblin Welder
    4x Imperial Recruiter
    4x Painter's Servant
    2x Simian Spirit Guide
    Enchantment (4)

4x Blood Moon

Planeswalker (2)

2x Chandra, Torch of Defiance

Sideboard

1x Duergar Hedge-Mage
    1x Engineered Explosives
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    1x Ethersworn Canonist
    2x Faerie Macabre
    1x Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    1x Magus of the Moon
    1x Manic Vandal
    1x Phyrexian Revoker
    1x Rest in Peace
    1x Sphere of Law
    2x Sulfur Elemental
    1x Trinisphere

After filling out my decklist, I turn to my buddy and state, "I'm going to get paired vs. Burn round one, I'll lose super hard, like always and then I'll go home like the scrub I am."

Pairings go up, find my table and start shuffling.

R1: Burn - I guess I deserve this...

G1: He has me at 5 and I have the combo on board. Tap my Ancient Tomb + Mountain, going down to 3 activate Grindstone. He responds with Price of Progress, which is met with Pyroblast, which in turn is met with a confused look until I explained that everything is blue.
    G2: I'm under the gun of two Goblin Guides and he passes back to me with 1 untapped Mountain. I cast LED, then Grindstone, then Painter's Servant and pass it back to him. On endstep he goes to bolt Painter and I crack LED in response to grind him out.

Out: 4x Blood Moon

In: Ethersworn Canonist, Engineered Explosives, Trinisphere, Sphere of Law

1-0-0

R2: R/G Lands - Time to get smacked with a 20/20

G1: I drop a quick Grindstone and tutor for Painter. He drops a Molten Vortex with 2 red up. Great. Untap, upkeep, draw. Lion's Eye Diamond. Sweet baby Jesus. I cast LED, then Painter and Pyroblast the Molten Vortex to force him into using it. He sees the same line as me and we move to G2.
    G2: I drop a turn 1 Moon and it works against me as he drops a turn 2 Molten Vortex and promptly melts my face with it.
    G3: Turn one Moon into turn 2 Painter + Pyroblast on his basic forest seal this one up.

Out: 2x Goblin Welder, Lion's Eye Diamond, Red Elemental Blast

In: Rest In Peace, Ensnaring Bridge, Sphere of Law, Magus of the Moon

2-0-0

R3: Burn - I need to work on my karma

G1: I get a quick combo and grind him out while I'm at 3 life and he's tapped out.
    G2: He burns me out while I flounder looking for answers.
    G3: With Lava Spikes and whatnot hitting me in the face, it's looking bleak. At the end of his turn 2 I Enlightened Tutor for Sphere of Law, the great, holy equalizer in the matchup. I draw it for turn, drop an Ancient Tomb and cast it, going to 8. "Response," he says. Oh, crap. He Fireblasts me down to 4. Not where I wanted to be. It resolves and I pass. He Lava Spikes me down to 3. Poop. I drop a Painter and pass with a fetchland and Ancient Tomb up. He casts Flame Rift and I fetch up a Mountain to Pyroblast it, dropping myself to 2. I draw LED, hold it in hand next to a Red Elemental Blast and contemplate how screwed I am with my Burn opponent sitting pretty at 20. He bolts me, down to 1 I go. I draw for turn. Grindstone. I cast LED and drop the stone which prompts another bolt to my face, which I redblast. Crack LED, drop hand, tap stone, flip deck.

Out: 4x Blood Moon

In: Ethersworn Canonist, Engineered Explosives, Trinisphere, Sphere of Law

3-0-0

4 of us being 3-0-0 means we get to double draw into top 8.

R4: ID

R5: ID

Quarterfinals:

We all decided to split the prize pool among the top 8 and well all get $125 cash monies. I'm sitting accross from my opponent, who, you guessed it, is on Burn. Fortunately for me, he had to make a drive back to his university and take care of some other errands. He shakes my hand, tells me good luck and tells the head judge that he concedes.

Semifinals:

Sitting accross from a good friend of mine who is on Shardless. We've played this matchup a thousand times. We each know what our gameplans are and what we need to do. I'm able to overwhelm him with the combo, moon effects and Pyroblasting his basics to get there in game 1. Game two becomes a grind fest and eventually ends with me ulting Chandra, Torch of Defiance to burn him out.

Out: 2x Goblin Welder, Simian Spirit Guide, Lion's Eye Diamond

In: Magus of the Moon, Jaya Ballard, Rest in Peace, Ensnaring Bridge

Finals: How I even made it to the top 8, let alone the finals still perplexes me. He's on R/G Combo lands, which can be a real coinflip of a match.

G1: I combo on turn 3 before he has any good way to interact with me.
    G2: He has an explosive start and makes a 20/20 on the endstep of my turn 2. Fffffuuuuuuuuuuuu
    G3: He has another explosive start and drops an early Tireless Tracker and starts investigating clues all over the place, doing his best Sherlock Holmes impression. I follow it up with an Ensnaring Bridge. He makes more clues and draws more cards. I follow up with a moon, but it only slows him down slightly with his Mox Diamonds. Another Bridge. Divining Top. Grindstone. Another moon. Finally, a Painter. He responds by K-Gripping my Grindstone. It's ok. Everything is ok. He drops a Chalice on 1, I pyroblast it. He says, "Ok," and proceeds to drop another Chalice on 1. It resolves. Fudge. I drop a third bridge and pass, feeling defeated. Then we both do nothing but dig. I, with top, and him with clues. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Spin top, land, pass. Over and over. I know what I need find. Spin top. There it is. I untap, draw and drop Chandra on the battlefield. I tick her up until she's at 7 and then promptly throw her in the trashcan for a shiny emblem, burning him out for the win.

Out: 2x Goblin Welder, Lion's Eye Diamond, Red Elemental Blast

In: Rest In Peace, Ensnaring Bridge, Sphere of Law, Magus of the Moon

My opponent held out his hand, grinned and congratulated me. We were both just happy to make it as far as we had, even after the hour-long slugfest that was G3 of the finals.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: 6-0-2 @ Memphis Plays Legacy 15: 1k (R/W Painter - Shortcake)

Bravo. I loved this report.

Thread Information