Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you consider expensive?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: What do you consider expensive?

I generally feel bad spending more than like $40 on any non reserve list, non staple card (force and wasteland pre reprints basically). I bought Jace's and it felt pretty bad tbh. Also it is relative to the card also. I think more than $20 for any standard card whatsoever is more than I'd ever pay at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor

Feb 2011
    Sheffield

' Standard '

Rotating formats, and I include Modern in this as WoTC achieve rotation through banning's. I really don't see Legacy as expensive any more. Perhaps 93/94 has brought a new perspective to what AB / Arabian / Legends can reach. But, its just money sat in alternative savings. Banks are offering 1% with inflation at 2.5%, even if the market card drops its still cheaper than golf or a track-car.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I generally feel bad spending more than like $40 on any non reserve list, non staple card (force and wasteland pre reprints basically). I bought Jace's and it felt pretty bad tbh. Also it is relative to the card also. I think more than $20 for any standard card whatsoever is more than I'd ever pay at this point.
    Probably also this. I have no problem paying $150 for a dual land, but I'm reluctant to pay $150 for a Goyf, hence why I don't own any Goyfs but own a few duals that I don't currently use in any deck.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Feb 2012
    Tienen

My next three big purchases will be German fbb USea and Volcanic Island, and Italian Tabernacle, in that order. I'll readily pay the market price. But I'd consider myself a fool if I ever did something as stupid as pay 4 or 5 euro for a Fatal Push. It doesn't have to be reserved list, but in order for me to pay big money for a card, it should either be 'old school legal (loose definition) or be a really nice foil like the new old border Sword of Fire and Ice, or something similar from before the age of overprinting.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Once outlets start listing prices as "unique" instead of a normal price is when I start questioning if the purchase is worth the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

These days? More than twenty bucks.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

For a Black Lotus? $5000

For a Serum Visions? $0.50.

- there si no easy limit if the % is enough, if I see a Lotus for half the price I'll just drop the money on it... what's the limit on a card that goes to my deck and I just need to have it vs. having deck lets say inconsistent or sub-par it's like $200-400 for me for some essential card atm i think (like need to have 3rd USea) on the other hand I want to keep my mtg investment to 0 if possible and sell all the excess

but depends on where you are in life mostly I guess, buying a USea for todays $50 was a big thing back in 2010 for me, in 2013 I dropped $2k to japanese my deck in two months (but it mostly paid itself by selling the eng/other cards in the future) so it also depends on the money history I think, it's easier to drop $2k if you just sold stuff for 2k as it stays in the Mtg rather than spend that out of the blue, today avg. income where I live is ~$1100/month so buying cards is quite surreal for most ppl

- The price perception is quite interesting as I found out I can't guess the buyers behaviour - I was literarily the only person on the whole internet who had publicly available Ru Foil Ad Nauseam for 2 years at around $300 OBO .... a singleton card in a deck people tend to be bound to and pimp a lot, a card you need to make effort to get it's not just about money, I've seen exactly 2 other available in my entire mtg life... for a price of an USea - it felt cheap having it at such price as shit like Mox Opal sold at similar prices, if it was korean I'd buy it in a heartbeat - yet not a single person has contacted me about buying it whole 2years...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post

Nov 2010
    New Zealand

The problem is your price. Russian foil is way overvalued by some.
    mtgpimp

Quote Originally Posted by jamesh View Post
    The problem is your price. Russian foil is way overvalued by some.
    I tried to describe my logic why I think the price was good - also why I'd buy similar items priced that way and in that range and items less rare are sold on much higher prices which I find illogical other than that there are very few buyers with specific preference... you could buy beta power 24/7 if you have the money but not this one, the rarity compensates the demand... btw. I sold it for the price I wanted when I tried to find a buyer...

about russian foils - yeah it has been absolutely artificial market and I don't like russian cards at all tbh, the only reason to have the card was the rarity
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

I think Chalice of the Void at $65 is too expensive. The card isn't on the reserved list, and I literally just can't justify buying +50$ non-reserve list cards when I know there are really high quality proxies floating all over the internet (including eBay). Really pisses me off actually. It's hard enough to justify spending hundreds on a piece of cardboard, when you know you could spend 5$ and just buy fakes...

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_Empire View Post
    I think Chalice of the Void at $65 is too expensive. The card isn't on the reserved list, and I literally just can't justify buying +50$ non-reserve list cards when I know there are really high quality proxies floating all over the internet (including eBay). Really pisses me off actually. It's hard enough to justify spending hundreds on a piece of cardboard, when you know you could spend 5$ and just buy fakes...
    First, it's not a "proxy" it's a counterfeit. Calling it what it is delegitimizes it in the eyes of those on the fence on purchasing them.

Second, I agree with most of what you said. Paying more than $50 for a non-RL non-land-non-easily-swappable staple (i.e. cards like FoW and JTMS or LotV that will be good in just about any blue and/or black deck) feels really bad and if CotV was this expensive when I got my set, I probably wouldn't own 4c Loam.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Most of my expenses these days are for EDH. I get hesitant to spend more than $5 on any card that's standard legal (even legacy playables like Tireless Tracker). I don't play often, so seeing that same card for 50 cents a few weeks later when everything rotates again is a feel bad.

Some EDH staples I'll pick up if they're $10-20, especially if its a powerful effect or fills a niche I need in my monoblack deck - Contamination, Newlamog, Ugin. I won't buy any individual card over $20 for EDH though. I'll grab those if I can get store credit of course. The last time I went to the shop I think I paid about $30 for a bunch of adds - Kothophed stax (using shit like Tabernacle, Abyss etc, so my budget constraint doesn't make too much sense).

I haven't spent cash on Legacy in forever. I spent about $70 to build Turbo Depths and then picked up a Bayou before GP Louisville, since I wanted 3 instead of 2. Otherwise I'd keep my expenses to fringe sideboard spice (Equipoise, Comeuppance) or cheap proven packages (Tracker is on my list when it drops).

I don't spend any money on modern (format is too uninteractive and terrible), and I especially won't pay money for any card that was spiked by idiotic speculators.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by sadface View Post
    If it costs more than $30 and is not on the reserved list, it's expensive.
    Pretty much this.

Mishra's Bauble jesus christ
    Re: Eldritch Moon and Emrakul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

Thread Information